Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Wanted- Restaurant reviews  (Read 7999 times)

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Wanted- Restaurant reviews
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 12:24:09 PM »
OH and I have recently returned from 3 weeks in Kalkan and had 41 meals out (we did manage one lunch at home ;D).

So, I can give my views on the restaurants we visited this year (in no particular order).

SadeStill good, but probably not in the very top rank. Very busy, even at the start of the season. As usual, Erhan and Ayhan were rushing round like mad things, but remained absurdly cheerful – even when dealing with an obnoxious English couple who arrived late, with no booking, but nevertheless expected a table on the edge overlooking the street to be found for them immediately.
Chocolate fondant still well up to standard.
This year, they have wines from a new vineyard (as do some of the other restaurants): Maki. I believe it comes from near Elmalı, so is very local indeed. We tried red, white and rose and all were good. Red is rather like a Beaujolais, white is fairly weak (11.5% alcohol), so good for lunchtime quaffing. Rose was very dry and aromatic – more a dinner wine than lunch, we thought.

EscudoThis was one of our favourites last year and has maintained its excellence. We had three dinners here. The Persian lamb was very good indeed and, if you don’t like lamb, they will do a chicken version, which I loved. Portion sizes are not huge, which suits us, as there’s nothing worse than being confronted with a vast plate of food, and they don’t clutter up the plate with loads of bits of useless garnishes/salad which no-one ever eats.
Wines are good: they have the Likya wines again. Sauvignon blanc is fine and Patara red is excellent.
Things are still a bit slow in the kitchen and we had to wait a fair while for our main courses, but that didn’t really bother us, as they brought some tasty freebie figgy bread and some dips/olives/nibbles each time.
Işmail is a good host.
Table settings are very elegant, with top quality glassware.

SofraTwo dinners here, both good. We like the atmosphere here, especially on a chilly evening, when they have the “real logged (sic) fire” going – reminded us of being there in November/December.
Service was rather ragged until Mehmet came up from the street to sort them out, but it was early season and they have a couple of new, presumably inexperienced, waiters.
Best of all, they now have a better wine list, with some more expensive, good, stuff. I always used to think that limiting the choice to the Angora/Çankaya/Yakut/Doluca end of the market was a shame and didn’t do justice to the food.

KalamakiTwo dinners here: excellent, as always. This is one of Kalkan’s top restaurants Each time I vow not to have the swordfish skewers, as I usually do, but each time I succumb again when I see them on the menu.
Staff are very professional. As an added and interesting bonus, at the end of the meal, when things were less busy, waiter Coş (some may remember him from Coast 2 years ago) gave us a brief teach-in on classical Arabic orthography (with the help of diagrams on his waiter’s pad) – as you do!

Korsan Meze & Fish TerraceBoth still excellent. The grilled jumbo prawns are still, in my view, the best in Kalkan and, indeed, probably the best I have tasted all over the world!

AgoraWe had not tried this restaurant last year – which was our loss. Two dinners here, both very good. Place was packed out, even at the beginning of the season. We did cause a certain amount of disruption, though (for which we apologised to them), and the reason provides a good cautionary tale. OH ordered a “local” dish of meatballs with apple. This arrived in an iron dish, resting on a china plate and surrounded by flames (quite a few restaurants serve some dishes in this way). OH waited for the flames to die down (by which time the contents of the iron dish were super-hot and bubbling away) and then took out a meatball and put it on the china plate, to try to cool it down enough to eat. When he was able to take a mouthful, he immediately spat it out, complaining that the food was too salty and had a nasty bitter flavour. He tried once again, but was unable to eat any and sent it back. Cue mortification in the kitchen (we have known Gülabı, the head-chef and joint owner, for years), until the waiter thought to ask OH if he had taken the offending meatball out of the iron dish. By doing so, OH had coated the meatball in the rock salt and accelerant which surround the iron dish and is used to make the flames burn bright yellow. So, OH had been trying to eat meatball, apple, rock salt crystals and lighter fuel! Another portion was produced and – yes – tasted delicious. Indeed a cautionary tale and the staff agreed it almost merits a warning, as it was an obvious thing to do: to take the meatball out of the iron dish to try to cool it down. Of course, we apologised to the restaurant and also explained to the people on the next table what had happened, as one of them had ordered the same dish and had been rather disconcerted to see OH sending his back (even though this was done discreetly).

FenerFour of five lunches here. All excellent, as usual. This really is a gem: good basic food, perfectly adequate wines, efficient and non-intrusive staff (we do get a bit fed up with waiters at many establishments who outstay their welcome at your table – especially at lunchtime when they are not busy – and can’t seem to take the hint that you don’t want the entire meal disrupted by clowning around) and, of course, beautiful surroundings and views.

TanzoreVery promising start-up for this new place. The decor & surroundings (in the former Chapter One premises) are very elegant. Menu is standard “English Indian” (ie Bangladeshi), with a very good choice of different strength curries (in fact, no matter what curry you choose, you are asked how hot you would like it). Food very tasty and good wine list. Given that we had 40 Turkish meals during our 3 weeks, this made a refreshing change!

White TableGoes from strength to strength. Yiğit & Derman have expanded the menu a bit, but still do their excellent burgers and salads. Derman certainly knows how to make a cheesecake! Again, Yiğit has sourced some unusual wines.
The place was full on the evening we went, but some of the previous year’s problems with speed of food production from the kitchen seem to have been resolved and they all coped really well.

General: Other good meals were at Trio and Aubergine, although we prefer these places for lunch, as they can be a bit pressured at dinner. Special thanks to the waiter in Aubergine who taught us the expression “köpek ölduren şarap” (meaning – animal lovers look away now – “dog killing wine”), a really great term for a rough old wine and could have been invented for the witch’s pee that goes under the name of Angora red & white. (He wasn’t describing Aubergine’s wine, by the way!).

Prices not really more expensive than last year. We (two of us, but we like our wines) were paying around 90 – 120TL for lunch and 180 – 210TL for dinner.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »
Mags, thank you so much for taking the time to post this very comprehensive restaurant review - good to know a few of our favourites are still on form :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »
Mags, that was fantastic reading. Thank you for the time and effort taken to write this post. Like K4E says, it's great to know our favourites are still as good as ever and I am definitely going to try kalamaki and hopefully sofra this year as we still haven't been to either yet.
OH and I were only saying, that when we came at Easter, we didn't go to any rooftop restaurants and only just realised this yesterday, so plenty of making up to do. Really great report.  :) :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 10:02:51 AM »
Excellent report Mags, a few of our favourites on there, we always visit Kalamaki and like you I always have the swordfish skewers!! We always find the food and service here to be very good. Also loved Escudo last year and am pleased to hear it's still going well. Also enjoyed Whitetable, it's ideal if you fancy pasta or burgers for a change. We're only doing a week this year so don't know how we'll manage to fit all our favourites in?!
Nicky

Offline Shields99

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »
We liked Aubergine, Lipsos (new restaurant) Doy Doy, Guilan - Small house was our least favourite personally can't understand how it's rated number 1.  Spoilt for choice there are so many nice ones to choose from.

Offline WEB

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »
Great reviews - can you tell me whereabouts Feners is please. Sounds a good lunch spot.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 10:27:25 PM »
Fener is the Lighthouse cafe. Its on the harbour and the lighthouse is in it's grounds. It's oposite Mussaka.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 12:01:57 AM »
I just love 'opinion'.....best for lots of people ( trip adviser )  but not for you Shilds99  8)  and thats cool, one mans meat, and all that  ;)

Got to say I really liked it, albeit, it was out of season when we ate there don't know what it's like when it's really busy ???

Pool terrace, beach or beach club tomorrow .......keeps me awake just thinking  ::)  8)  ::)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »
We're now on our 4th day and so relaxed. Each time we come back we wonder if Kalkan's appeal has faded - it hasn't!  As lovely as ever. So restaurants so far - first meal at Gourmet. Superb as always. Sakir has become a dear friend over the years and even stayed with us in Edinburgh in March! Gourmet is our most favourite for food, service, everything!  Then Salt and Pepper. Lovely setting and imaginatively presented food. Ibo and the boys do a great job. It's not cheap - prices higher than Gourmet. Perhaps it's because they're that much nearer e harbour. Lovely meal and worth every kurus. Last night another of our favourites - Fez. Tis place deserves to be much busier then it is whenever we're there. Fabulous menu and beautifully cooked food - we had borek and stuffed vine leaves to start, then the mixed grill (carnivore heaven) and I had chicken kavurma. Superb. Mehmet is back there after a year out at Authentic. He's a sweetie and does fantastic card tricks and magic. The quality of restaurants and the genuine friendliness of the people never ceases to amaze and delight me  :) :).  So, where to tonight, choices choices?!  Fantastic.

By the way, it's incredibly windy here today albeit still very warm.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 09:10:50 AM »
Hi Rachey,

Have you ever been to Alternatif,next to adda tours.Very very good food and service.Mustafa is great and his brother is running sade

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
We always have a drink in a little bar which is the last one on the harbour....there were steps down to the boats? Never really knew its name but the young man/ownr always phoned for a taxi and made sure I got in safely.

Is this the new restaurant Lipsos. We have often had snacks there  at lunchtime.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »
We used to go to Alternatif every year but one time we were having a lovely meal and Mustafa arrived and was bossing everyone around and ruined the atmosphere so we've not gone back... We love Sade and no doubt will be there very soon.  One of the (many) wonderful things about Kalkan is that you rarely, if ever, have a bad meal. Just different folk liking different things which is just how it should be  :laugh:

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
Mustafa at Alternatif has never been bossy when we have gone.Always a really good atmosphere.The staff are professional and very well trained. He does run a tight ship as he wishes to maintain high standards.I'm sorry that your experience was not good there.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »
....ahh Rachey, you are finally in paradise :) ENJOY!!
If you're there, it means we are not far behind...this time next week, I expect to be relaxing on the roof terrace of number 4 - wind or no wind ;D. Thanks for posting on your restaurant visits, good to know Gourmet is on form (way up there on our list). We've not been to Salt and Pepper for a few years - no reason why - so may give it a go when we're there.
The choice is overwhelming... :-\

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »
Fab choice of restaurants so far Rachey.  Look forward to doing the same round in July!  Had a wonderful meal in Salt and Pepper in April.  As you say the presentation is superb.  Are you planning on going out on the new Zeus?  Had a tour of her in April, stunning boat and family just back had a great day out last week. Enjoy your holiday.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:20:40 PM by Charlie »

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »
Your garden and pool await K4E!  It's perfect here.  Despite the wind we've had a chilled day by the pool - see you very soon  :laugh:

Hi Charlie. Yep we plan to go out on Zeus next week - cant wait to see Ali's new pride and joy  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Restaurant reviews - who do you believe?

Started by Alfaman on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 06:26:03 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Any restaurant reviews for 2011?

Started by chrissy1 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

116 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 07:57:35 PM
by Potter
xx
Restaurant Reviews - an idea

Started by pw on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 11:39:04 AM
by Baggy
xx
2010 Restaurant reviews

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

28 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 05:15:00 PM
by alshepuk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal