Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Restaurant reviews - who do you believe?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Restaurant reviews - who do you believe?
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
Having had a look at Tripadvisor reviews for the first time in ages, it struck me that some were obvious "plants" by friends or connections of the restaurant. Enjoykalkan seem more authentic, although I remember one last year from someone who admitted his wife worked there and a knocking posting from a competitor. Combine this with a matter of taste, an off night for food or service, and value for money, so its going to be the exception for a restaurant to score a perfect 10!
(now off to check out Turkishlocalnews scores!)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5264.0

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Restaurant reviews - who do you believe?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:43:13 PM »
Ive ofen considered putting a restaurant review section on EK where people can offer star ratings but personally prefer the written word.

I think its always good to hear peoples opinions on restaurants, bars etc......

As to who to believe - I always say try things for yourself and make your own opinion (and EK does try and weed out the fake reviews!)

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »
I like hearing the positives, I don't like reading negative remarks because experiences and opinions can vary so much. I also don't like the thought that someones business can be ruined because of an opinion that might only relate to one persons experience. (if that makes sense)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
It certainly does make sense Tonik  :)

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:07:25 AM »
Thank you :)
I'm watching the formula 1, trying to catch up with the archers and looking for travel insurance  ;D

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »
So Tonik1945 are you really saying that if people can't say anything positive, they should not comment at all?
We will then end up with people eulogising about their favorite restaurant - how boring
If some people can post positive thoughts why can't others post what may be in your view, negative ones - it will end up as a sort of censorship won't it?
We had this last year where if you posted anything negative about Kalkan - others slated as you apparently were not allowed to say anything negative i.e. you did not agree with them
Surely we do not want to return to that - or do you??

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:39:08 PM »
Calm down Kevin just looking for positives 8)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »
Hi Tonik1945
So sorry but I wasn't getting excited, as I am far too old for that
But for every positive there usually is a negative and not wanting to see it is strange!!
Constructive comment whether good or bad is useful and then people can make up their own minds surely ??

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
All I want to say on this subject is that opinions on this site can be divisive sometimes. Some restaurants get very good reviews but I wouldn't want to go there because for example I thought the food was rubbish and very poor quality. My opinion could have a very negative impact for that restaurant and I could have been having a bad day!  Why pass it on? Human beings are very good at "chinese whispers" Who knows. The "truth is out there somewhere". But of course the question is "whose truth?"
kind regards
T

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »
If everyone thought that the food etc at a certain place was sub standard would you be happy to let others go there and waste their money?
Meals won't be cheap in Kalkan this year and any money saved is good
Anyone else have any views on whether to tell or not ????

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »
Yes - tell - but be specific. Was it the meal - poorly cooked, cold... or the service- slow, wrong dish, group not served all at once etc. There are restaurants in Kalkan where the food is good but the service so slow when I've been there that I wouldn't go again, others where you feel pushed to finish on a busy night. There are others where the food and service is consistently good and I wouldn't be afraid to recommend, others inconsistent - good one night, poor the next. Unless there is feedback, whether good and bad, there isn't going to be improvement, and you can bet the switched on restauranteurs will read forums such as this which will be far more influential than an individual complaint.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
Spot on alfaman,If a restaurant can take praise it should be able to take criticism as well...
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 07:09:12 AM »
That's all very well when the reviews and criticisms are genuine, however numerous posters use the site to promote their business / demote others whilst seeming to sign in as a third party. This is also rife on Trip Advisor.
Between my friends I can find people who have had bad meals/ experiences at all the Kalkan Restaurants and we all have different favourites, often these are influenced by the personal at a particular establishment.
If I go on a holiday I chose restaurants from what I see on the menu, and the ambience of the restaurant etc; I like to take a risk with new experiences and I have had some wonderful meals around Turkey and abroad, the bad experiences I usually forget quite quickly. I find it all part of the adventure.

Personally I would prefer to stick to my own opinion on restaurants or word of mouth which I can judge accordingly.

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 08:57:09 AM »
When we first came on a two week holiday to Kalkan 12 years ago there were at least 50 restaurants and no websites which could be consulted to see if they were good, bad or indifferent.  Our Tapestry Rep quite rightly told us that she never made restaurant recommendations since everybody has different ideas of what constitutes a 'good' restaurant and discovery was part of the holiday experience.

It was wonderful to set off and explore every day, with no preconceived ideas and make our own decisions about which to try, based on the factors which Mercimek outlined, ambience, friendliness of staff and menu posted outside.   We relished the adventure of making new discoveries  and whilst we had a few indifferent meals, we only had one bad experience, which was so awful that it became part of the holiday legend and made everything else seem so good.   We still go to some of the restaurants which we discovered then and still enjoy the excitement of new discoveries wherever we holida, anywhere in the world.

In the same spirit of discovery we hired a car and found many hidden gems, bays where we weere the only visitors, roads through the mountains which led to small villages where we were offered tea and received a wonderful welcome and we met some wonderful people.   We spoke no Turkish at that time but that was never a hindrance to communicating with people.  It made the holiday such an exhilarating experience that we can back year after year, still exploring, still making discoveries and even though we have now lived here for over 3 years, every day is still an adventure and we never lose our sense of wonder at all that is around us

It seems rather sad to me to see so many posts on EK asking 'where are the best places to go?', 'which are the best restaurants, beach clubs etc?'  I know that many people who are only here for two weeks don't want to risk having a bad experience and do want to have a 'list' of places to go and things to see based on the experiences of other tourists but first time visitors to Kalkan could be missing out on so many wonderful experiences if they only stick to the recommendations of others and don't make their own discoveries.

Will

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 10:13:22 AM »
I have my favourite restuarants which have become so because of my own experience of them.  As such over the years my favourites have changed as some have come and gone and new ones opened.  I have had good experiences in other peoples favourites as well as not so good.  I suspect that my favourites would not be someone elses choice.  I would agree with Mecimek and Will that you should give them a try without being influenced if possible - if you like the look of a place or what's on the menu then give it a go.  If we didn't no one would try the new places when they opened!

Offline alshepuk

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »
I like Tripadvisors way of rating place by stars.  You know that if a restaurant etc receive countless 4 or 5 stars and only the odd 1 or 2 then there is a good chance that it is good.  You will always get the odd day that the top chef is off.  The waiting staff are understaffed etc.  Being from a service industry myself things do go wrong.  Unfortunately if you are in the restauarnt that day you are going to give it a bad rating.  Then again there are always people that love to complain.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »
I don't think there's a restaurant in Kalkan that has 100% good reviews - perhaps Kaya? As it is, we've never eaten there - don't know why - so I, for one am not influenced by glowing reports, or otherwise. For most establishments, there are a mix of reports. We go to our old favourites - and they can sometimes let you down - and try new places. Some menus put me off, as opposed to reviews, and because there is sooohhh much choice in Kalkan, you just end up eating somewhere that suits your taste. When it comes to reviews, just trust your own  :angel:
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2010 Restaurant reviews

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

28 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 05:15:00 PM
by alshepuk
xx
Restaurant Reviews - an idea

Started by pw on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 11:39:04 AM
by Baggy
xx
Wanted- Restaurant reviews

Started by Lynne T on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

35 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 03:26:41 PM
by Rachey
xx
Any restaurant reviews for 2011?

Started by chrissy1 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

116 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 07:57:35 PM
by Potter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal