Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 "2014 Summer Special"  (Read 43440 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 "2014 Summer Special"
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2014, 04:36:20 PM »
Glad you are still managing to have a lovely time despite being poorly....hopefully you'll be back on top form very soon! :angel:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »
The only good thing about the TT is the weight management...those tiny portions will be doing you the world of good  :) :)
What did you think Botanik? We loved it there in June although it had only just opened and was very quiet. Their cocktails were fab. It looks busy enough now though, judging by the photos on Facebook.
Sure you will be feeling more like your old self soon :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
Monday 18th August.

Well, I'm doing a Shrley today  ;) I thought I'd better report back early doors as we are in for a busy day today and all will be revealed tomorrow.  :)

Thanks for your kind words peeps. As each day goes by, I'm feeling so much better. We loved botanik and the cocktails were very good value for money, especially when we got a free one as they had made a mistake with our order!

Yesterday, we were all up and out for 10am, in the search for breakfast. We were all starving and were like hunter gatherers on a mission for some good food. We trundled up the kalamar road and  thought we'd go to cafe vita but it was full to the rafters so we had to have a rethink. After hardly any deliberation we decided on cafe Leon. I had my usual menemen and was told by a waiter last night that I seemed to be on a menemen mission this holiday  ??? Has he been reading this blog   ??? Or has he been looking at my Facebook pics  ??? Made me think I need to expand on my breakfast menus ha ha.
We  had a lovely  brekkie and wanted to carry on exploring in the car but the girls just wanted to get back to the villa.

We dropped them off and set off to find our friends villa which we had a vague idea of the vicinity but no map as the electric was off and I couldn't access my messages on Facebook. Amazingly we found it and as it was around lunchtime, how could I refuse a very welcome glass of pimms  ;D boy it was hot hot hot yesterday, so muggy too and I felt like I was melting. We had a lovely couple of hours there and then back home for a welcome dip in the pool.

As Shirl mentioned, they called in on their way to kaputas and it was so lovely to spend time with them, having a laugh and a drink. I can't believe how quickly yesterday went and before we knew it, we had our glad rags on, ready for another night on the tiles.  The only problem was that our youngest has now become victim of the TUrkey Trots  :( but thought she felt well enough to try an evening out bless her. The lure of the brownies at Mussakka was too much to resist. So we had a fantastic meal at Mussakka. I had the starter of chicken livers as a main course accompanied with gorgeous glazed veg.  I was licking my lips in anticipation as I shook the black pepper pot over it and lo and behold, the bloody lid fell off and the whole of the contents fell on my dinner! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Luckily the waiter saw my predicament and within 5 mins another hot steaming plateful appeared, with an extra portion of veg too. I wolfed it down as it was the first proper meal I'd had in a few days. Boy was I full after scoffing that  :)

We met some friends afterwards and reclined on the thrones at Yakamoz for a couple of hours. When we arranged to meet them, telling them we would meet them on the thrones, our friend thought, with my recent history, that I meant on the loo as they'd never noticed or heard of Yakamoz/Jimmys before  :) we had a good laugh at that.

Straight to bed when we got home as our poor youngest was not feeling brilliant and only managed a taste of her steak and chips and brownies. She really wanted to eat it too.

This morning she has been ill during the night but is putting a brave face on. Damn you trots for putting a damper on our holidays.  ::)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 11:04:12 AM »
Another fab report Lizzie but so sorry that your youngest little one is now poorly. Hopefully she will feel better this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing you later. You must have been speechless with pepper all over your meal! X

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »
Oh no....the TT has struck again in the Lizilu household :( What rotten luck. Hopefully you still have some magic pills left for your youngest. Good to know you are fighting fit though.
Hope you tried the Apple Martinis at Jimmy's...whilst on the throne. That did make me laugh ;D
Look forward to your next installment :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
So sorry to hear about the TT plague striking again Lizzie. Poor you and your youngest girl. Horrid for her. Hope she improves quickly. Try and have a good day even so. Sxx

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
Sadly one can spend rather too much time on the throne in Kalkan! Hope everyone is feeling well soon.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2014, 04:32:23 PM »
Tuesday 19th August

Sakklikent day today!

Yesterday was another infectious day in the Kisiltas Sanitoruim (or should that be sanitarium;D).  Our poor little girl had been so poorly overnight that we had to cancel our breakfast plans for Ada Patissierie with Bob and Jayne and instead, took a trip to our new best friend the pharmacist. Not only were we dealing with another case of TT, I now have a beautiful cold sore adorning my bottom lip. Money that should have been spent on a yummy Turkish breakfast, was instead spent on a shed load of antibiotics. Although I had some tablets and capsules left, Lucie our youngest, struggles to take them, plus as she is only just 13, I thought we'd better be on the safe side. The lovely pharmacist sorted us out. Metronidazole syrup and metoclopromide for Lulu and Acyclovir for me and we were good to go. Another load of washing in the machine  ::) and one pan of chicken fajitas later, we were on our way to our friends villa for a BBQ.  Bob and Jayne were also invited so OH ferried us all down there with food, grog and goodies balanced precariously on our knees.

Luckily Lucie was feeling a little bit better by the afternoon, but she was more than happy to relax in their villa and use the facilities there if she felt unwell. As it was, after Just 2 doses of the antibiotics and anti emetics she really rallied thank goodness.

We had all contributed something, like a Jacobs join as we call it up North, and between us we created a veritable feast. Their villa is lovely and situated just above the last footbridge. There are some amazing villas to their left and rumour has it that Myleene Klass owns one of them. We never saw her though  :)

After a lovely afternoon of swimming, eating, drinking, chatting and laughing, we set off home. We decided to walk down with Bob and Jayne to the taxi rank and get a taxi from there. The hill by their villa is one of the steepest gradients and we were laden up like pack horses with our gear. I was in front with the girls and OH and Bob and Jayne following on when we heard an almighty clatter. OH had just saved himself from a trip to the hospital. He nearly went head first down the steps as his foot got stuck in a frond from a palm tree/triffid! He was very lucky he righted himself but I'm sure the clatter of the saucepan he dropped and his expletives emitted from his mouth awoke the whole of Kisiltas  ;D
Jayne was so right when she said we looked something like the Von Trapp family as we negotiated those slopes  :)

When we arrived home, I was so hot and bothered that I made OH a quick nightcap and sneaked outside, stripped off and spent a lovely 10 mins on my own, under the stars, commando in the swimming pool. Until that is, our youngest spied me and told over me. I felt like a naughty schoolgirl "Mummmmm! What are you doing!!!! Daddddd, Mums at it again". Luckily Baba saw the funny side  ;D and so another day Endeth in paradise.

As I mentioned it was sakklikent today, tune in tomorrow for Another instalment. No doubt Shirley will whet your appetite in the morning. I wish I had her stamina for early rises  ;D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
Im so sorry that you have been hit with these ailments.  We were very lucky. Slight gurgly tums but nothing serious! Last year i had a problem with a sore eye, which we identified 4 months later to be a seed that had embedded in my eye and started to sprout! Keep your eyes peeled for myleene.....you can show her how to really wear a white bikini!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »
Oh Lizzie I'm really sorry if I whatsapped you while you were having your "me" moment  :( :o Just know you love the Yorkshire puds!! Sounds like a great afternoon apart from poor Lucie's illness. Thank goodness for lovely pharmacists and the over the counter pharmacopeia over there.   :) :) :) What is a Jacob's join when it's at home?  Never heard of it, despite being a Yorkshire lass myself. It certainly looked like a good old feast from the photos. Hope Saklikent went well.  ;) ;) ;) Can't wait for tomorrow's instalment to hear all about it! Sxx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2014, 10:39:29 PM »
Oh you are funny....skinny dipping!!! Sounds like the perfect end to another perfect day in Kalkan. We only live to embarrass our kids as we get older and you get 10 out of 10 for that effort.
Hopefully everyone is on the mend now thanks to our BFF at the pharmacy opposite Lemon Garden. I go and stock up on all sorts before we go home - he even knows what I need. I'm running through my list "furosemide, antibiotic cream, cortisone cream, fusidat..." Fastjel? Oh yes please 2 Fastjel.
If the cold sore cream works just let me know, it will be added to my list for next year - its horribly expensive here.
I mentioned on Jaynes blog this morning that you were all fortunate to get down in one piece from Kiziltas in the dark after...erm the odd glass of wine ::) Its pretty treacherous in the dark on the steep bits as the paths are not exactly well made. Its quite easy to lose your footing so Baba's lucky the only thing that crashed to the floor was the saucepan.
Really looking forward to hearing about your day at Saklikent.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2014, 06:15:37 PM »
Evening all!  :)

We've just returned from a fabulous day out on Yildiz 2, so a quick blog tonight with a cold glass of wine to help the words flow from my sun frazzled fingers.  :)

As Shirl/Jayne mentioned so brilliantly, yesterday was Saklikent day and what a fantastic day it was. It was another first for us, we are doing so many different things this holiday and it's fantastic. Like she said, it was a bit disorganised and we would definitely have preferred to do the gorge before lunch, but we really enjoyed it. As Jayne mentioned, we ( and gallant Bob ) only did the part by the second rocks as you then had to scramble over more and more and the water was rising rapidly. How funny it was to see people's flip flops stuck in mud, or floating by and one little kid was nearly up to his waist in mud, his dad frantically trying to heave him out, minus his below waist clobber as the mud relentlessly enveloped him  :( we precariously crossed the rapids, me and Jayne, dancing crab like until we reached safety.   ;D we waited for my lot to return and suddenly, it was action stations. The police and paramedics arrived and started putting tape across the river, ordering everyone out quick smart. Meanwhile, no sign of my family. It was a bit worrying to say the least. Then suddenly they appeared, a bit battered  and bruised (well one daughter who did a comedic slip, but pride hurt more than physical injury), and the police assisted them across, carrying little kids  for their parents. I'm really not sure what had happened, but as we left the gorge, there was an ambulance there that wasn't there when we arrived. Rumour had it, that there was a surge while we were there and they were erring on the side of safety.

Back on our way home in the mini bus, we had an interesting ride. I'm sure Shirl won't mind me revealing that she's a nervous passenger and she kept thinking the driver was falling asleep as he slumped to one side every now and then. We also viewed a bloke relieving himself in a field, without a care in the world and scary scarecrows which put the willies up Baba  ;D the ladies were herding their sheep and goats and it was a delight to see authentic Turkish day to day life as we passed through the villages on our journey homewards, albeit later than we should have been, thanks to the Russians and their need for chips!

Last night, I could hardly move my legs. My knees are gammy at the best of times but there was no bending them at all. Stupidly, as I will not give in, we decided to walk into town after a couple of sundowners on the roof top. By the time we got there, we collapsed in the nearest bar, which happened to be the Mini Bar. Two wines later and I was good to stagger! We  only got as  far as kosk and decided to eat there. Another first for us. OH and I shared the lamb in the clay pot, goodness knows what the girls had. I think it was Mexican in origin as by this stage, I had my head in my hands and felt a wee bit sqiffy. Again, not much to drink but it really had gone to my head. We managed to make it up,to the taxi rank and then had a highly amusing taxi ride home in Baba's Taxi. Not my OH, but a fantastic guy who has pimped his taxi up with leopard skin seat covers and kept hanging his head out of the window, frightening passers by as he hollered "PEEP PEEP" at them and again, referred to OH as BAba. Me and the girls were rolling about in the back seat. Best journey home ever  ;D

OH assisted me, his old bird, off to bed and I slept like a log, only waking to drink a gallon of water to soften my parched throat at 5am!

K4E, the acyclovir cream is fab. My cold sore is nowhere near as bad as previous ones  as I treated it the minute I felt the tingle I usually bring some from home but I'd forgotten it. I usually get it quite cheap as I get a staff discount from the pharmacy where  GP surgery I work at is situated. Handy hint, if you buy it in the UK, always ask for acyclovir as it is so much cheaper using its generic name, rather than its brand name of Zovirax. It's a massive tube, sizes bigger than the acyclovir at home (usually sold as Zovirax). That with 2 medicines was 30tl. Bargain and add it to your shopping list. I must admit, it was funny in the pharmacy, as OH has never seen me in nursey work mode before and thought I was speaking Turkish as my new friend the pharmacist and I conversed in medical and Latin phraseology!

Well my wine glass is empty, the sun has set, time to eat! See you tomorrow for another instalment and thanks agin so much. Like Shirley says, it's a lovely  surprise when we see such kind and witty comments from our EK Pals. Oh and Skunk, nearly forgot, a Jacobs join is a buffet where Everyone contributes something. You must be from the posh part  >:D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:21:38 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
Oh Lizzie, we have had so many laughs on this holiday, but your blog tonight has just left Bob and I seriously laughing out loud! Such a fab day today on Yildiz 2  :D xx
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:43:44 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
Think something's wrong with the forum tonight....my post has now gone missing too ???
Anyway, as I was saying.......
No wonder your poor knees were aching with all the wading and climbing at Saklikent. You and your partners in crime are packing so much into your holiday, it's impressive. I swear, I would need a holiday to get over your holiday so you are doing brilliantly. I'd be collapsing on my bed at 7pm every night and not surfacing until the following day.
Thanks for adding to my pharmacy list....another brilliant item by the sound of it  ;)
Another great installment, Lizilu. Thanks for posting.

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2014, 10:48:29 AM »
Great posts Liz, getting me even more excited for our trip in 4 weeks today! just a quick question about breakfasts how much roughly are you paying for breakfast as we plan to eat out a couple of mornings rather than breakfast in the villa. Thanks  :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
Lizzie thanks for your post - sounds quite an eventful and scary day. Couldn't get on the forum last night - it just wouldn't open, but I think my computer knows I've just retired and is starting to retire too.  I think I might have to invest in an Ipad.  Don't think it was all that posh a part of Yorkshire but maybe left Yorkshire before we did bring and shares - I was only 7!!  ::) ::) :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »
Thursday 21st August

As you have already heard from Shirl. Yesterday was Yildiz 2 day and we had an absolutely fabulous day out. His family are so friendly and welcoming and his little girl is a star. Her English is amazing and not only did she assist her parents throughout the day, at the end of the day she was totalling all our charges up too and taking the payments. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years time, she will be captain of Yildiz 4!

The mud baths were indeed the star turn yesterday. Both OH and Bob really got into the spirit of things and slip, slapped and slopped that mud everywhere, and I mean everywhere! Another load of washing on today and thank goodness the swimmers were back to normal. I even picked a piece of grit out of my belly button this morning and I apologise to whoever was behind me as I showered off on the boat yesterday. It's a good job we are all friends.  ;D

Something really weird occurred last night. Eloise, one of our daughters was on Instagram and typed in #kalkan just to see what others have shared about Kalkan ( #don'taskmeas ihaven'tgotaclue ) and screamed! It seems that somebody off another boat has shared a picture of us all lined up like swampy creatures, on the mud bath beach! OMG, we are on the interweb!!

We decided to stay in last night, so bought a couple of rotisserie chickens from chicken man on the way home. We had a lovely night, just chilling and spending some quality family time together. Next year our two eldest will probably be doing their own thing so I'm savouring every minute with all 3 of our girls this year. We had doorstep hot chicken, mayo and salad on Turkish bread, accompanied by cheese and olives smothered in oil and lemon juice and sprinkled with herbs and spices and, wait for it...salt and vinegar crisps!!! First time we've ever seen them before in Kalkan! Oh it was a really lovely night. We were all shattered though. A day out at sea, doing nothing really takes it out of you!

This morning, having realised that we really are now counting down the days, decided to go out for breakfast and tick a few things off the to do list. So, Turkish breakfast at cafe vita today for me and it was deeelicious! A perfectly timed soft boiled egg. 2 types of cheese, spicy sausage, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, walnuts, honey, jam, Nutella, butter, bread and coffee - fab! Full English for OH and tuna sandwich for our youngest and it came to,59tl. Hope this helps holidaylover. You will always find a fab brekkie in Kalkan, be it traditionally Turkish, English or continental. 
We then went up to Lavanta to see Davut from the Marina. We promise ever since it was built, that  we'd have a look up and never had up until today. It was lovely up there and a lovely gentle breeze was blowing too. We got talking to a really nice family who are staying there and they were blown away with the place. Maybe somewhere to consider for the future?

I'm off for another swim now and then soon it will be time to get ready to meet up for tonight's gathering of the clan at Asian Garry! 3 times in 2 weeks  ??? Oh yes please!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:40:25 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »
Another brilliant one Lizzie! we are going to miss blogging next week aren't we?

Jx

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
I think i will just make up a blog! I wonder what outrageous things i can get up to! asian  garry watch out..... We're gonna get up to all sorts!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »
Had to laugh at your post Lizzie.  The thought of the lot of you being photographed on the mud bath beach in the nude made me hoot. Sounds like you had a bit of a relax after the last couple of busy days. Just seen your photo at Asian Gate on facebook - the girls have grown up a lot but even if they go and do their own thing for holidays soon, they always come back to  experience a bit of luxury with mum and dad at some stage! We have taken the girls on several holidays and cossetted them a bit. They love it! I can't believe there's not long till the end of your holiday - I will really miss your and Shirl's blogs - it's been great to relive the place and it'll keep me counting the days for the year until 2015. Did Jayne show you the apartment we have booked? Enjoy Sxx :) :) :) :-*

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan dining.

Views: 2604
By: headroom
Making Ravioli