Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Lizilu20 on August 08, 2014, 11:34:44 AM

Title: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 "2014 Summer Special"
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 08, 2014, 11:34:44 AM
Well, it feels soooo good to be able to finally start this blog, as it means that our summer holiday is almost here - yeah!!!!

This past week has been a frenzy of packing, washing, shopping, manicuring, and of course the dreaded exfoliating  :o Believe me, I have a real love/hate relationship with my epilady, especially when tackling toe hair but the end result is definitely worth it  ;D

K4E, you will be proud of me as I actually started packing yesterday and bar my make-up, we are good to go. I know that's not fab by your standards but it's positively excellent by mine, so hopefully tonight can be spent chillaxing with prosseco instead of trying to squeeze 50kg into a 23kg weight of case! I really don't want to count my chickens just yet though as I'm sure I'll remember some obscure essential like OH's nasal hair trimmers at midnight tonight as I'm trying to snatch a couple of hours before our obscenely early flight tomorrow.

Both OH and I are at work right now, but due to finish shortly. Poor crazy hound Charlie will be tearfully dispatched to Borstal with his blankie and toys and then we will be in true holiday mode.

Hopefully my next installment will be coming to you from Kalkan and I for one, cannot wait. Yippee!!!!  8) 8) O0 8) 8)
Title: Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 "2014 Summer Special"
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 08, 2014, 04:44:51 PM
Yes yippee your almost on your way! Can't wait, so glad you've started your blog as well, can I hand my baton over to you now lizzie!  ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy your Prosecco, safe journey and we are so looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow evening. X
Post by: Babs on August 08, 2014, 05:46:36 PM
Were all excited you are going Lizilu.....lots more posts!
Shirley......don't you go having any ideas about not writing any more, we are all enjoying them!  :laugh:
Post by: Automan on August 08, 2014, 09:25:20 PM
Yes! Just a few more hours then we will be on our way to Manchester! We will be in Kalkan by 3.30pm hopefully!
Post by: Mrs M! on August 08, 2014, 10:38:16 PM
Loving your Epilady moment, same here! We arrive tomorrow for our 3rd visit - can't wait  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 08, 2014, 11:03:35 PM
3.30pm is a lovely time to arrive in Kalkan....I take it you are not flying easyJet :)
Lizilu, packing for two is soooohhh much easier than packing for a family so I salute you for your superior packing skills. Isn't it better being packed early though....?
Jayne/Shirley you cannot hang your red nipple up just yet...ohno. Loving your reports and we know you are an early riser so the blog is giving you something to do whilst Bob packs in more zeds. It's a mutual thing.
Haybo as passed the baton to an impressively prepared, defuzzed Lizilu.....can't wait for your reports. Safe journey, God Speed.
Post by: clara 50 on August 08, 2014, 11:31:07 PM
Oh good luck with everything. We'll have to remember OH's nose/ear etc trimmer, trouble is bought him a state of the art grooming whatsit one for Christmas, stupid me it weighs more than the old poundstore one without extra bits. We don't go for a few weeks but already mentally choosing dresses and flip-flops, this happens every time. Then OH buys a SLAB of strong cheese, that's equal to a couple of sandals. Have to sneak it over to my neighbours just before we go. Our dog goes to jail too with his blanky, squeaky and one of my smelly slippers and enough chewies to feed the entire kennels. That's Dad's job, to desert him, took the kids for their jabs so it's his turn to cry on the quiet believe me he does. Well have a safe flight, a relaxing  holiday and take care.
Post by: Haybo on August 09, 2014, 01:50:22 AM
Have a great holiday! Bob and Jayne are looking forward to your arrival! Just got home. Very sad face!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 10, 2014, 09:00:35 AM
Hi everyone. Well we are here and officially back in paradise.  :D

We set off to the airport, bleary eyed at 3.30am yesterday morning and by 5.30am I was sat nursing a large glass of wine that I forced down me, confident in the fact that somewhere in the world it's wine o'clock and after all, I'm on my holidays.  :)

Poor youngest daughter wasn't quite so excited. She is extremely frightened of flying and has dreadful motion sickness. She'd already started as she meant to go on as I discovered when I was mopping vom up from the lounge carpet just as the taxi pulled up, and I now found myself hurtling through the airport en route to the loo with her,  and her head in a WHSmith carrier bag just as they called our seat numbers out!

A couple of Bombay sapphires later (why am I such a lush on holiday) and we were landing! Yeah! The searing heat hit us and warmed our bones as we disembarked and onto passport control and nearly falling over a little boy with the same syndrome as our youngest. He was hurling onto the carpet of the air bridge and I glanced at our youngest with her green tinge and his mothers empathetic eyes met mine and we nodded to each other in that knowing way!

Long queues at passport control but the official was in good humour as he winked at me and asked if our eldest was my sister. Hahaha, you should have seen the look of disgust on her face. Cases were first though and off we set chugging onto the D400, scoffing biscuits, drinking water and watching "finding nemo" on the mini bus TV. Thank you Alper at EGE rentals for providing such a comfortable transfer.  :)

The Vila is as beautiful as ever, with views to die for. I love that feeling of utter contentment as I stand looking out over Kalkans horseshoe bay with the boats wending their way past mouse and snake and not knowing where the sea ends and the sky begins. Perfect.
Before we knew it we had unpacked and were on our way to visit friends armed with sausages we'd smuggled over for them.

We ate at Adana kebab last night which was a first for us. I can highly recommend this lovely little place. No frills, just typical Turkish friendliness (our kitchen is your kitchen), delicious traditional food and cheap prices. All 5 of us ate and drank for an unbelievable 133 TL. Which included 3 drinks each and all main meals. Unbelievable value for money.

Just be very careful of leaning over the terrace though as I found to my dismay. We had spotted Bob and Jayne waltzing out of the dream hotel so I ( trying not to draw attention to myself) leaned over the metal balcony which was adorned with fairy lights and discreetly called "jayyynee", she didn't hear me so I leaned a little further, "oh JAyyyyynnnneaarrrrgh" as the bloody lights fused on my arm and sent an electric shock hurtling through my body making my fingers tingle and my hair stand on end!!! The whole restaurant was witness to my stupidly and I felt so embarrassed. Revived with wine, I was good to go in no time and we had the most fantastic night catching up with our lovely friends.

Not sure what today will bring but I will be sure to keep you all posted of our adventures.  ;D
Post by: Haybo on August 10, 2014, 09:36:52 AM
Oh that made me laugh...can I say lol and get away with it! I was a bit accident prone this time - I did my leg in agsin in on the last day so I am still operating with the Meis hobble!

Look forward to tomorrow's report .
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 10, 2014, 09:48:11 AM
Yes it has just made me laugh too Lizzie, brilliant as ever. You can go to the top of the class. Keep on blogging. Was fab seeing you all last night. Definitely lots of fun times ahead! X
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 10, 2014, 10:09:19 AM
Elecitric shock on Day One.......wow you've surpassed yourself :laugh: :laugh:
Let's hope this is your only mishap this holiday...although I doubt it. So looking forward to your reports alongside Jaynes - a double helping- how lucky are we?
Enjoy your stay...well jel :)
Post by: Babs on August 10, 2014, 03:31:25 PM
Yon really have excelled Lizilu! I can't imagine what the combination of an electric shock and the 'Kalkan frizz' would do for my hair! Please take care....we need more posts!  ;D ;D
Post by: Pompeyalbie on August 11, 2014, 09:14:51 AM
Brilliant Lizzie, why do we never have moment's like that, a had visions of the whole town in darkness due to you fusing the lights. Have a lovely time & keep the tales coming.
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 11, 2014, 10:05:28 AM
Ha Ha ..you crack me up!! You obviously missed some hair with you epilady >:D
Post by: Skunk on August 11, 2014, 02:22:01 PM
Just seen your post Lizzie - the first of many I hope. between you and Jayne you are making Kalkan feel like just the place for us again next year.  Can't wait - and a whole 13 months to go.  >:( >:( >:( ??? ::)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 11, 2014, 03:23:36 PM
Monday 11/08/14

Well I'm still alive thank God after my hair raising experience but I'm sure my curls are much frizzier than usual  O0

Yesterday we stayed in the villa greedy for the sun and the pool. We went at it full on and today we are paying the price. We are now the lobster family, well apart from sensible mum and the family backs that sensible mum slathered factor 50 on.  Smug old me, there's only so much I told you so that sulky teens will tolerate though! I had my own issues however as although I still have skin like alabaster, I have a head like a bears backside after last nights antics.

I had a couple of wines late afternoon and a sundowner G&T before we set off on the long walk down from the villa. We are staying in a beautiful villa just off the road that leads out of town towards Bezirgan. The views are amazing but you have to be as sure footed as a mountain goat to tackle the steep descent and with my dodgy knees to boot, walking to town's quite an art I so thought I'd better neck another G&T to oil my joints. Trouble is, with dieting, I've been really cutting down on alcohol so my tolerance is not as good as it used to be. It did the trick though and we made it down in no time. We stopped off at the lemon garden and I had a Bacardi and coke and a sneaky peek at Aklan who had just arrived for his session. I don't know what it is about the measures there but that drink just pushed me over  the edge and I really felt quite tipsy so thought we'd better eat.

We sauntered/staggered down to Asian Gate where we had the most marvellous meal. It was really delicious. The salt and pepper chicken is beautiful and so was the butter chicken I had for my main.  We had S&P chicken x 2, samosas and hot and sour soup to start, 2 sweet and sour chickens, the butter chicken, chicken tikka masala garlic naan and a S&P chicken main. 1 bottle of white wine shared between me and OH,  (why oh why did I do that) 1 Efes, and 4 soft drinks and water for an amazing 272 TL! If you've never been before and enjoy Asian food, you really must try it. It might not be just the same as your local takeaway but it's really nice and my favourite meal so far. Emine and Jawad are lovely people and so kind and generous. The also have a beautiful daughter who is so sweet. At the end of the meal I managed to stagger down the steps and zig zagged my way down to the moonlight bar where I committed my first offence  ::)

Muhittin spotted up coming, well it was difficult to avoid seeing me really, in fact, pretty much difficult to avoid me really as I ran into his open arms for a bear hug. There was a bloke sat at a table who I presumed was a waiter. Why did I presume that? God knows but I did. Muhittin was chatting to him in TUrkish and I think was asking him to move so we could be seated. Moonlight was full and this was a fab table on the flat and big enough to accommodate all 5 of us. In my addled mind, I thought he was telling him to move, rather than asking politely and I jokingly slurred to this bloke "oi, hoppit mate" with a sweeping arm gesture and promptly fell over a pillar. He looked at me like he had an unpleasant smell on his upper lip and moved seats. It was only this morning that I realised he wasn't a waiter but a paying customer and I'd been so rude to him. I'm so embarrassed when I think what I did and I will hang my head in shame when we go back  ;D

We met Bob and JAyne in moonlight and so the fun and games continued. Jayne was so right when she said that our two OH's were like naughty schoolboys. I dragged Jayne off by the hand to go bag shopping - I needed her support physically as well as emotionally ha ha and it was here that I committed my second and final offence of the night.

Well it was my birthday recently, and I requested money for bags. I only have a modest amount but last night I felt like mrs big hitter and unfortunately reserved bags in every bloody bag shop in the old town. I don't know how I'm going to show my face down there later. I even had the lady in BSG modelling all the styles while I hummed and ahhed and swept out of the shop like lady docker.

I honestly don't know how I made it home last night. I just about remember one of the girls putting me to bed as I'd fallen asleep on the outside sofa and she rescued me. The rest of my loving family had just abandoned me and I don't really blame them as I think I was quite obnoxious last night.  ::)

I will learn by mistakes and I'm sitting drinking coke zero as I write this. Trouble is Bob and Jayne are coming up to join us for dinner tonight so I'm not sure how long I will be able to stay in sensible mode as my mum used to tell me, I'm just so easily led  ;D

To be continued...
Post by: Babs on August 11, 2014, 05:41:01 PM
Oh Lizilu.......hang your head in shame!  ;D ;D
Just think of all the fun your girls will have telling everyone how embarrassing you were....those sorts of stories live on for years.....I speak from experience!  ::)
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 11, 2014, 05:53:16 PM
Don't worry, Lizilu. You're not alone. I dont drink on a schoolnight at home so when we go away and are drinking every night (usually to excess in those first few days...) it can take its toll on my dignity. I often describe our behaviour as two teenagers whose parents have gone away for the first time and left us at home with a stocked drinks cabinet. Its easy done and somehow over the next few days, as if by magic, you will either get used to the excess or find your level. Mine is generally the former :)
I saw a birthday card recently which had the following on the front:-
"Dear Alcohol, we had a deal. You were meant to make me funnier, sexier, more intelligent and a better dancer. I've seen the photos, we need to talk"
I'm amazed I didnt tumble more over those bollards in Moonlight after a few drinks...I made a couple of good attempts at it but always seemed to save myself, or be saved, at the last second. I tell you they are for bags...and you should have a fair few of them to perch on there before the holiday is out. Atta Girl ;) ;)
Loving your reports, please keep them coming  :)
Post by: Haybo on August 11, 2014, 06:02:38 PM
Fab reports! If you and Jayne could ensure you co ordinate your reports, I will get to enjoy hers first thing with a cuppa, and yours when I get home.

Try to stay upright!
Post by: Skunk on August 11, 2014, 07:48:44 PM
Gosh Lizzie, thought I was bad! In fact, I am bad! We sat in this bar in Turunc and had enough Raki and water to last the average Turkish guy a lifetime! Are you going to have to go back to all the bag shops and cancel your orders?
And the humiliation that can happen at the Moonlight Bar!!! We have been known to roll home paralytic at 3.30am. I have a photo of me with a special large glass of wine that the Moonlight dug out for me because I felt insecure with the small ones.
Hope you have a great evening with B and J - that villa is entirely fabulous. Are you doing a barbie again?  Look forward to hearing all about it tomorrow.
Bless you all and take care of yourselves! Have a good time.
Skunk xx  :) :) :) O0
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 12, 2014, 05:16:18 AM
Oh Lizzie, how your latest post has made me laugh this morning, but oh so true!!!!!!!!
I've only just got to read it, through tired bleary eyes again this morning!!

Laters XX
Post by: clara 50 on August 12, 2014, 10:19:24 AM
Fantastic report, cheered me  up on this gloomy august morning. We almost could be sisters, however many good intentions to be sophisticated after a few drinks usually goes out of the window. Brain goes into idiot mode and legs go from normal one minute to rubber the next. Could give me some warning. Thought after I turned the big 5 O I'd get all mature, WRONG. Oh well, never mind at least it seems I'm in good company.  ::)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 12, 2014, 02:28:56 PM
Tuesday 12th August 2014

Thanks you all so much for your kind and witty comments. I'm so glad I'm not on my own!!  ;D

Oh boy I was hungover yesterday. I had to wear my new sunglass varifocals indoors all morning. There was no way I could go out in the sunshine as it felt like my head was going one way and my brain another, every time I moved. A berocca, 2 co-codamol and a litre of water later and I was feeling much better which was good as we had been invited out for lunch and nothing was going to stop me enjoying that.

We made our way down to the Yelken where we have stayed a few times, to see our lovely friends Yelkenite and RosiB. Now I'll let you into a little secret. RosiB is half Italian and the best cook ever, so diet or no diet, hangover or not, there was no way I was going to jib on this meal. We had the most delicious pasta dish. A traditional bolognese that was the best I've ever tasted, with a side salad in dainty dishes and a gorgeous variety of oils and vinegars. This was followed by slices of watermelon, so so delicious. It was really great to see them and catch up on all the news since we had last met.

We called in Migros on the way back for provisions and OH had to negotiate how to get the car across the road now that there is the new one way system going on. Just above Migros there is a little junction where you can nip through, rather than having to go all the way up to the traffic lights, although we saw quite a few just going the wrong way, and totally ignoring the fact that it's now a one way system.

Back at the villa, we had an hour or so of sunbathing before Bob and Jayne arrived, armed with wine and beer - all my good intentions flew out the window of course and a merry night was had by all ! We started off on the top floor balcony and watched the sun make its gentle descent down the hillside. Dinner was a hunkar takeaway and JAyne managed to order very coherently, the only glitch being that they sent a chicken pide instead of a chicken pitta. An easy mistake to make I suppose. Four mixed grills, 1 pide mistake, 1 chicken wrap, 1 doner, 1 chicken wings and free flat breads, salads and ezme for the grand total of 209tl. Not bad for 7 people and we were all as full as ticks afterwards. It took about an hour for the delivery to arrive and we were all so hungry so remember to order well in advance.

In his haste to get to his grub, OH managed to upturn the candle holder and the beautiful glass table turned into a river of hot molten wax. The takeaway guy then plonked a carrier bag right on top! Bobs new beatspill speaker took a hammering too and it now has a new speckled design - sorry Bob  :(

We had a fab night. We laughed the night away and midnight came far too soon. As luck would have it, our neighbours pulled up in a taxi and I flew down the steps like a mad woman to save Bob the cost of a call to the taxi rank. I managed to flag the taxi down and off they both set, this time being Jaynes turn to zig zag.  >:D Such a shame that this year our villa had a mobile for local calls but was pinched before we could make use of it  ::) :(
I'm having to be so careful with phones and a wee boo-boo was made this holiday. My daughter switched data roaming off on my phone and OH inadvertently turned it back on, thinking that he was switching it off, obviously not knowing it had already been done (poor communication skills in the lizilu household). We had only been here a sodding hour when a text message appeared to say that I had used 80% of my data roaming cap. I was really shocked but I thought, good old orange has let me know before things get out of hand. Ha, not so, my cap is £41.00!!!! So an hour in Kalkan had cost me around £33.00 for doing sod all! We live and learn  ::)

Today we are dining  at the Marina with our double trouble pals B&J and our neighbours from home who are here again this year. There will be 11 of us so no doubt will be keeping Mario and George et al on their toes!

Until tomorrow...
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 12, 2014, 03:18:46 PM
I hope there won't be any laughing out loud in Marina :P :P
Sounds like you are having a thoroughly brilliant time -and why wouldn't you? Good food, good company and all in lovely Kalkan.
Can't wait for your next update...totally there with you in spirit (did you see what I did there...?) ;)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 12, 2014, 03:28:30 PM
K4E, I may have to suppress a few giggles but I promise I shall chuckle in a ladylike manner. I like what you did there  ;) I'm sure we will all be in high spirits tonight  :-*  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 12, 2014, 03:48:42 PM
Hasn't she excelled today with her post K4E, we have been laughing this afternoon at Lizzie's post, and haven't touched a drop yet!!! High spirits we will be I am sure, but on best behaviour tonight! Gin up Lizzie (oh sorry I mean Chin up!!!, otherwise you'll need a tonic in the morning!!!   :D :D :D :D :D :D

Shirl x
Post by: joycie on August 12, 2014, 04:47:54 PM
Love the fish and chips at the Marina only three weeks and we'll be there. Can't wait.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 12, 2014, 04:58:39 PM
Love it Jayne/Shirley :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Babs on August 12, 2014, 06:00:40 PM
I'm not sure who's leading who astray there, Lizilu or Shirley! But it sounds like you are having a brilliant time!  :laugh:
Strange how the body just gets used to an excess of alcohol.....usuall y a couple of drinks on a school night and I'm out for the count (which reminds me, must put bottle in fridge as off out with friends tonight!) however when I'm in Kalkan I can drink like a fish!
Post by: Skunk on August 12, 2014, 07:06:32 PM
Another great post Lizzie. Sounds like you are all having a ball! We'll be with you in spirit (but not too much of it) tonight. Enjoy yourselves.  :D :) :) :)
Post by: RosiB on August 12, 2014, 08:09:24 PM
Thanks for your lovely compliments, Lizzie! We really enjoyed seeing you and Shaun. Enjoy the rest of your holiday! X
Post by: Haybo on August 12, 2014, 09:40:59 PM
Lovely pic on fb.......wish I was there!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 13, 2014, 06:21:26 PM
Wednesday 13/08/14

I'm writing this as the sun is setting after our fantastic trip on the Pina x. I will write all about this tomorrow as I still have yesterday's antics to report!

Yesterday we all decided breakfast at chillies was the order of the day so off we went chauffeured by Automan, living up to his name again. I had to have my usual order of menemen which is so delicious. They now do sausage and bacon butties as well as the full English, so our girls had those and OH had a mixed omelette which was scrummy - laden with garlic mushrooms, peppers and spicy sausage. Of course I had to sample it to check that it wasn't poisonous, doing him a favour really  :)

After that it was bag shopping while OH had his shave/haircut/massage combo. He always goes to Mesut coiffeur on the Kalamar road which is handy for me to peruse simply chic next door. Sybille, the owner is a gorgeous and extremely friendly lady but unfortunately her prices were a little steep this year, also she didn't  have just what I wanted in stock so I left empty handed. I felt a bit guilty but as I said, I only have a modest amount of birthday money so every penny counts.

OH had to wait in line so I was able to witness the full works at the barbers. He went in looking like grizzly Adams on a good day and I could fair see the tension disappear from him as he made himself comfortable in the chair that resembled one in a dentists surgery. There definitely is an art to this Turkish coiffeury thing. Mesut was fully concentrating on the task in hand and with a flourish he transformed my OH. He muttered something to one of his other customers and next thing we knew, Mesut was thrusting bottles of sparkling mineral water into our hands with an order of 'DRINK'!! We duly did as we were told, all except OH. He took one look at OH and shouted 'DRINK BABA'  so Baba did as he was told. Apparently Baba means daddy and daddy did not disobey. Unfortunately our girls hate sparking water and I'm not too keen either. It fills me up with gas and I'm always expecting a taste to follow the fizz, a bit like prosecco but it never happens ha ha. So OH was in there about an hour being pummelled and snipped and tapered and smoothed out. I spent an hour being tortured as I ended up drinking the best part of 4 bottles of fizzy water so as not to cause offence. Every time he brandished the cutthroat in a different direction, I was surreptitiously handed one of the girls waters and the empty passed back to them. I felt so full of gas, I'm sure I could have floated over cappadocia! The girls were so mortified when a huge burp made its way up.and out but I suppose that it could have been worse.  ;D

Last night was our night at the Marina as Shirley has so eloquently reported back to you. I have little to add other than we had an absolutely brilliant night. Both the company and food were excellent. On our way down I had flashbacks of my drunken night out. On passing Baharat I had to bow my head as I remembered telling him very sweetly that although his food was delicious, his service was dreadful! Oops! I also had to wear my dark glasses and look the other way at those bag shops. However I did pop in BSG and collected the two bags that I'd put away! A gorgeous mulberry clutch in a pewter colour and a classic medium sized black Chanel flap. I bought both for just over the price quoted at simply chic for the Chanel and the quality is excellent. 

I must stop here as the girls are asking for their dinner and I need my wine glass refilling so until tomorrow...
Post by: Haybo on August 13, 2014, 06:35:30 PM
This is my 100 th post! Yay! I think everyone in kalkan should celebrate!

Good to hear you have got bags at last. The moody Louis that I bought from the shop under Doy Doy is wonderful.  I looked it up on the LV site and they retail at £3150! They only do them in black and a milky coffee colour.  Luckily I chose the coffee version.  If is superbly made.  I can spot a fake monogrammed LV at a 100 paces, so I am a bit pleased with my purchase.

Off to cinema tonight....
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 14, 2014, 05:07:12 AM
Lizzie, brilliant post again!!! and as for bags, well us girls can't have enough can we! there seem to be so many bags shops here in Kalkan now, and all I can say is keep them coming!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Haybo - glad your pleased with your LV purchase too!!!    :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 14, 2014, 10:01:32 AM
Loving your reports, Lizilu. I love the fizzy water in the little glass bottles - I notice a lot of the locals drink it too. For the last couple of years I've used the flavoured ones as a vodka mixer, we buy tons of the stuff when we're there. It is very gassy though and four bottles, one after another, would play havoc with your digestive system...
BH gets called Baba although we've not been with our kids for years....funny! The pronounciation sounds like Buba and with my dodgy hearing I thought for a while they were saying Buddah...Big man, big belly, bald head - yep that fits  ;D ;D
You will use that Chanel classic flap for years...trust me. Good choice :) It pays to shop around (spread the love...) and always...always shop sober. I will often pick them up in a merry state but they have always been chosen in sobriety.
Keep them coming  :)
Post by: The Engineer on August 14, 2014, 10:09:56 AM
I mix the little bottles of fizzy water mixed with the  tonic to make slimline tonic.
Buba is an endearment that means granddad, I'm called it often and quite like it.

M
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 14, 2014, 02:49:20 PM
Thursday 14th August,

Well I woke up this morning and knew that something was not right. I just felt really ill and before I knew it I had welcomed an old adversary from April back into my life "the Turkey Trot" has reared its ugly head and made me a very unwilling victim. Anyway, I'm sure you don't want to hear about my gripes (geddit?   ::) so onto yesterday's adventure on the high seas. Before I do that though, what a good tip to water the gin down with the fizzy water thus making it less calorific. I will try that. I'm loving my bags too ladies thanks for your comments. 

So yesterday was a fabulous day. We had a little time to spare before we were due at the harbour so called in the new bakery near the lemon garden. The lady was really helpful and explained what each pastry was and we left armed with lots of goodies which we ate on our way down. My favourite was a little filo pastry number which was stuffed with creamy mashed potato and the hottest of hot fresh red chillies. Yummy. At the harbour all our shipmates were waiting and we excitedly trip trapped our way down the wobbly ramp.

Abdi welcomed us aboard (we made sure we brushed the crumbs off first!) and before we knew it, we were drinking coffee and saying goodbye to the harbour as the gentle sea breeze whipped my hair into a frenzy of medusa like snakes. We were so pleased that Abdi took a left turn around the headland - yay, we were off to kaputas. It was a fantastic day for an adventure, the sea was like a mill pond but our youngest still spent most of the day laid in the shade, feeling sick. She managed a swim and surfaced for a bit of cake late afternoon but unfortunately never found her sea legs. Me and Jayne did though ha ha. As she mentioned, it started off when Bob plugged his phone into C'pn Abdi's sound system and Celine's dulcet tones warbled out. There was only one thing for it - a titanic pose was the order of the day and what a laugh we had taking comic photos of each other with our OH's.
Such a shame for our friends little girl. They arrived on Sunday night and by Monday morning, were in the medical clinic with her. She had just gone into their pool for her first swim and managed to cut the top of her foot very badly on a sharp tile. This required 7 stitches and was told no swimming for 5 days. Such a shame for her and she was so brave. We have another couple of boat trips booked so hopefully she will be fine by then.

So Shirley/Jayne and I were deep in conversation. She told me she doesn't drink alcohol on boat trips and I was nodding in agreement. One bottle of angora and a few G and t's later, we decided we actually DID in fact drink alcohol on boat trips! So funny. I think we bring out the best, or is that the worst in each other.

Unfortunately our life on the ocean wave had to be curtailed and we said our farewells. We were all so shattered that we stayed at home with a passport pizza delivery for our dinner, or tea as us northerners call it! We watched a good movie called 'while she was out' and were all flat out by 11ish.

A little observation from yesterday - Malibu factor 30 all day long dry oil spray, does not last all day long if you are on a boat trip! Ouch, I've now joined the rest of my lobsters!!!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 14, 2014, 03:09:53 PM
You get better soon my partner in crime. Fab blog though Lizzie. X
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 14, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
Oh no, poor you....  :(
The bad old Turkish Trots. Go and see my best friend in the pharmacy...or send Automan if the trip may be a step too far. He will sort you out with some top pills for that - forget anything you've brought with you from UK the Turkish stuff is miles better. Best stock up now because if one of you gets it the rest of your group will follow :P
Selfishly, I hope it doesn't affect you posting on here.. ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 14, 2014, 05:24:47 PM
Bim do a Giant catering pack of bog roll very reasonably >:D
Post by: Skunk on August 14, 2014, 06:13:09 PM
Oh Lizzie so sorry to hear you're suffering. :( :( :( Hope you soon feel better. Had a good laugh at the thought of you keeping your head down passing Baharat and the bag shops though!!! Sad about your friend's little girl. There must be someone accountable for that I would have thought. I remember your youngest one being ill on our boat trip in Anil boat as well. Poor girl. Back at the ranch I'm reading the Eye Collector which you recommended - very good I must say!
Get well soon Sxx
Post by: Babs on August 14, 2014, 09:32:38 PM
A trip to the pharmacy is definitely called....the pills they sell,are amazing....I speak from experience! Hope you feel much better soon Lizilu  :angel:
Post by: Haybo on August 14, 2014, 09:57:01 PM
Sorry to hear you are off colour. Make sure you drink lots of watered get some of those pills down you!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 15, 2014, 12:46:29 PM
Friday 15th August

Thanks so much for all your kind words and concern. I felt absolutely rubbish yesterday. You are all so right when you say nothing from home woks for the Turkish trots and luckily I had bought a job lot of antibiotics at April when we were last here so I was armed and dangerous. I did try boots own take on Imodium too but they were worse than useless  :( I slept most of the day in a delirious state, only waking to run faster than Usain Bolt to the loo. At one point OH became quite worried as he heard screams from our bedroom and according to him I was in a real panic because I could not find my hand  ??? What the hell was that all about ? Apparently I was having hallucinations but it's all very hazy to me. They just left me to it and were on a rota system to chuck a bit of water down my throat every few hours. I must say that the Turkish antibiotics are miracle pills. By 8pmish I was feeling much better and managed to muster up enough energy to slap on a bit of make up and head off down town for dinner.

While I was asleep, OH and our youngest ventured to the market. Impressed with Bob and JAynes Beatspill, OH bought a lovely gold coloured one that works brilliantly so the market stall guy was right. Bob and Jayne did bring him luck. They called in at the Asian Gate and booked for the buffet on Saturday for us and Bob and Jayne and then onto the bakery for more goodies, of which I was unable to sample  :(

So, last night was a bit of a blur to be honest. We managed to get a lovely table near the toilet  ::) at Escudo. I didn't eat much of anything unfortunately, but ordered the Persian lamb and the little bit I tried was delicious. Everyone was very happy with their meal choice and this was a first for us, having never been before. I'd love to do it again when I'm on form as it really was a lovely restaurant. I nursed a glass of wine all night and was relieved when everyone had finished so we could get home. On the way down to escudo, we called in at infinity to get a price for altering my wedding and engagement rings. I was bothered that I'd left it a bit too late for Rami jewellers as they needed to send it away. When the bloke at infinity said he would rezise ( 2 sizes smaller ) and polish clean and re-dip ( they are white gold) for 50 lira, I nearly bit off his hand. I also showed him how, although the rings are meant to fit together, they keep sliding round, "no problem" he said. "We can sort this too if you like, all for same price". What they have done is very cleverly, soldered the back of the 2 rings together and they are now the best they've ever looked and do not slip at all. To say I'm pleased is the understatement of the year. My friend had her rings altered at home recently and it cost her in excess of £100.00. He also said that if I ever want to wear them apart. It will be very easy to undo the solder at any jewellers. I'm absolutely delighted with my rings and the service provided.

So back home relatively early and a DVD was in order - Purge 2. Another bargain as the DVD contained both Purge 1 and 2 and was only 4 lira. We all really enjoyed watching it but I was more than happy when it was time to climb the jolly dancers back up to bed.

WARNING- this next paragraph contains graphic wordery so if squeamish - look away now!!
This morning, I woke up bright as a button and fresh as a daisy with anther observation based on yesterday's clinical findings. The lovely soft bog roll with the peachy/pink pattern, that smells so fragrant is akin to using a razor blade after numerous applications, whereas Andrex washlet's are worth their weight in gold and are as soothing as aloe Vera on frazzled sunburned skin. Make sure you pack some in your cases  ;D ;D :D
Post by: Skunk on August 15, 2014, 06:26:36 PM
Very glad to hear you are feeling better Lizzie - you took quite a pasting by the sound of it. ::) ??? Hope you had a good day today.  8) 8) 8) Sxx
Post by: Haybo on August 15, 2014, 06:30:23 PM
Gosh, you sounded in a terrible state. Pray you don't come down with it again.  Enjoy Asian gate x
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 15, 2014, 10:03:50 PM
Oh no...not sure an Indian is the best thing to follow Turkish Trots...? You may need to line your stomach with Bombay Sapphire...purely for medicinal purposes, of course :)
Glad you had some magic Turkish pills to help you on the road to recovery...have to say its a while since I've succumbed to this awful thing but you really do lose a day of your holiday to a strange hallucinanigenic existence. I've kept the pills in our first aid kit since then, although they are well out of date now, they are purely for reference purposes and to save time. We will only need to wave the boxes under the pharmacists nose to get a repeat order should it ever happen again. Don't even bother with Imodium but I am about to stock up on the Andrex washlets on your recommendation  :)
Escudo is a really lovely place - shame you weren't feeling too good. Their pomegranate steak is lovely and BH recommends the king prawns here.
Hope you continue to improve and no-one else gets the lurgy
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 16, 2014, 07:02:43 AM
Another great post Lizzie, and so glad you were feeling up to meeting up last night x
Post by: lynda on August 16, 2014, 09:53:31 AM
Hi
Could someone tell me the name of these 'magic pills' please and which chemist sells them. I like to be prepared!!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 16, 2014, 02:46:19 PM
Saturday 16th August.

Yesterday was a very lazy day spent round the pool getting re-aquatinted with my favourite pal Walter Hammock. I'm pleased to report that Walter is still supporting me well and I'm still wallowing in his loving caress. Bob and Jayne have looked after him well over the winter and he's really looking forward to meeting up with their hot pink Waltina.  ;D

I was still not feeling 100% yesterday but much better than Thursday thanks to the magic pills. Lynda, they are called 'Levofloksasin' brand name floxilevo and 'Nifuroksazid' brand name ercefuryl. They are both antibiotics for gastroenteritis type symptoms and you take them both. We got them from the pharmacy near Nur patisserie just up from Kaya and Ali Baba's. So I was treated like the Queen of Kalkan yesterday by my lovely OH. He made me a tiny portion of bacon and tomatoes on crusty bread for my brekkie and did all the washing up all day, while I simply lounged about and did my own thang with Walter. He is very understanding.

Fatoush, the cleaning lady arrived as OH was slaving over a hot stove and looked at him in astonishment, then gave him a round of applause. Soon the villa was looking like a Chinese laundry, with sheets, towels etc hanging from the gazebo and on any available space that was free on the patio. She worked like a trooper and in no time the villa was spick and span again. Luckily she managed to avoid flattening the fly screen this year, much to our relief. There was an extremely long announcement over the tannoys yesterday and I tried to ask fatoush what it meant but my Turkish is poor and Fatoush does not speak English, but she made the 'sign of the cross' a few times so we gathered that it was maybe a religious announcement. The smell of the laundry was divine. How I love the smell of washing on holiday.  :)

Last night we had an aperitif in the Lemon Garden and the girls had frozen watermelon cocktails which tasted delicious but they had not been sieved so they ended up leaving half as it got very tedious for them spitting pips out and the pips clogging their straws up.
We then ate at Kaya restaurant. I only had morina fish skewers as I wanted something light to eat and very nice they were too. OH opting for mixed grill, youngest had duck with pancakes and hoi sin sauce and all the trimmings and other two daughters both had pasta. With 2 rounds of drinks and starters of fish cakes and 'critters' as OH calls them - courgette fritters as they are really known - the bill came to approx 280 TL. Bob and Jayne then came to meet us and we had a walk down to Merkez where we had drinks, and burgers for Bob and JAyne as they hadn't eaten. I managed to stay more or less fully focused but I think the raki I imbibed just took me over the edge and we had to go home as I was a party pooper. I had waves of nausea and hot flushes although I had barely drank any alcohol, one wine, a water and a raki - lame by my standards and the minute we got home I was so bloody hot that I stripped off my linen pants and promptly fell fast asleep in the lounge. Much to my regret.

And so Endeth Lizilu's Friday with another observation:
Never fall asleep in compromising positions, semi naked with a mischievous family. This morning I awoke to photos of me with sesame seed sticks coming out from each nostril and dribble down my chin, which had been what's apped to numerous friends and family including Bob and Jayne. Someday I will learn.  ;D
Post by: lynda on August 16, 2014, 03:27:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Lizilu.i shall stock up next time we're out and hopefully never have to use them!!
Post by: Skunk on August 16, 2014, 04:01:30 PM
You will be glad to hear the photos haven't reached me .... yet!!! Glad you are on the mend now and hope you enjoy Asian Gate tonight. DO do a pose together at the school website  - I will be watching out. It would be a great laugh. Thanks for the names of the medications - I have written them in the little black moleskine travel book!
Post by: Haybo on August 16, 2014, 04:13:17 PM
We will need to do the webcam thing earlier  in The day cos the sun is behind them....maybe tomorrow?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 16, 2014, 04:20:28 PM
Another great post Lizzie, and don't forget "it's get your own back time" re the photos!!

See you soon x

Post by: kalkan4eva on August 16, 2014, 07:49:34 PM
Oh Lizilu, poor you :(
You seem to be trying to enjoy yourself despite the turkish trots. You know how it works, it takes a while to get back to 100% but you will get there and hopefully no-one else comes down with it....but you will be able to get your own back on the photo front if they do  >:D
Thanks for posting despite not feeling your best  :-*
Post by: Chris_S on August 17, 2014, 01:01:17 PM
Imodium, and their counterparts are purely anti-spasmodics (Loperomide).

They have absolutely no antibiotic qualities at all, in fact they are an opium derivative.  They rely on the body getting rid of the bugs naturally (enough information) and, if the body continues to rid itself of the disposed of bugs which aren't there anymore, to bring the rhythm back to normal.

In short, if the Imodium doesn't work within the time stated on the pack (time and strength dependent), then you have still got the bug, and a visit to the shop with the green cross over the door is required.  It is generally found by travellers (but often disputed by the medical profession) that the over-the-counter Loperamide is largely ineffective when abroad, where bacterial strains are different to those the body is used to.

Alternatively, try killing the bugs with Scotch or something greater than 40% ABV (difficult in Turkey) or the hottest curry you can find!  The latter is a sure fire way of clearing out the system, but not medically advised nor endorsed by the United Nations Chemical Weapons Team.  >:D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 17, 2014, 02:59:52 PM
Sunday 17th August

Chris_s you are a mine of information  :) thank you  :)

Yesterday was a lovely day and I was feeling much better so off we set to Fener for breakfast. When it came to it, I could not face anything but OH had a full English and all 3 girls had chicken burgers. Now sometimes these burgers are chicken fillets cooked in a curry sauce of and sometimes they are not. We always thought that the chicken sandwich was the one in the curry but it's really pot luck. Luckily the girls love both so it doesn't really matter. We made sure that we got there around 10am ish so we could watch the boats chugging their way off on their day trips. It was really lovely and so relaxing. OH, forced a slice of his toast on me and I topped it with cherry jam, it was delicious and just the right amount for a sensitive tummy. The harbour actually seemed pretty quit and a lot of the boats were gong out quite empty, unless of course they were private hires. Even the Sea Bella only looked to have a handful of people on board. It looked so beautiful, bedecked and adorned with garlands of albeit wilted flowers. Apparently there was a moonlight wedding on board the previous night, so they'd left it with decorations on.

After breakfast we dropped the girls off back a the villa and OH and I went exploring. It was actually lovely to go out, just the two of us, on a road trip up the mountains. Our two eldest are very responsible 17 yr olds so we felt like our youngest,  who is now a teenager would be in safe hands. As our villa is situated just off the Bezirgan road, we thought that it would be a good idea to set off and see where it took us. We ended up doing the loop from Kalkan, past Bezirgan and Islamlar, Akbel and back home again. The scenery was absolutely stunning and we had a wonderful time on our road trip. A bit of an unnerving moment though. We set off behind a cement mixer which slowed to a crawl up the narrow windy mountain road. We stopped to take some photos and ended up behind him again. He then pulled over to buy water. As he got out of his cab, he looked directly at us, so we smiled - he just stared back. We then turned down to Bezirgan, a very steep and narrow track. As it wasn't signposted, we turned round and carried on the main road which took us to another junction, this time signposted. We continued on our way until we came to the old storage houses. As we got out the car we heard a rumble and lo and behold, the cement mixer was coming down the road. He pulled up close to where we'd parked and revved his engine. The driver was in his cab, staring at us. We were alone, it was so quiet and eerie, you could hear a pin drop...he then descended from his cab, all the time looking at us  oh sh*t I said to OH. It's like the movie Duel!!! He started walking towards us then gave us a cheery wave and a smile, turned to his wagon, adjusted something and set off on his merry way again. Phew!!! To say I was relieved was an understatement  :D

We spent a good half an hour or so, exploring and taking photos, then back in the car and on to Islamlar where had a late lunch at Bodamye Tepe. Hasan was so kind, and made me a tiny portion of borek stuffed with spicy sausage, tomato and cheese, one critter, (courgette fritter) and a lovely bowl of cacik. oh had a whopper of a tuna sandwich and we stayed there for an hour or so, enjoying the tranquility and the gentle breeze.

Reluctantly we made our way home and off we set to Asian Gate to meet Bob and JAyne for our evening meal. We had the buffet which was amazing. I only had a tiny portion but was in good spirits and ready to make a night of it. Just my luck, the rest of them tucked in and were so full, we only made it the botanik bar for one drink then had to retire as everyone was shattered and in a soporific state bar me.

Back home and actually watched a documentary on the rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire that our youngest had put on. It was very interesting and full of culture we made our way up the jolly dancers once more.

Yesterday's observation. Do not pile your plate high at the Asian Gate if you intend partying afterwards.  Especially if then you visit the Botanik bar and drink cocktails the size of fishbowls!
Post by: Skunk on August 17, 2014, 04:13:57 PM
Sounds like a great day Lizzie, and probably a bit cooler than down in Kalkan. That experience with the man in the van sounded a bit unnerving! Love that restaurant and the lunch he made for you sounded delicious. The photos looked nice too. Have a good evening. Sxx  :) :) :)
Post by: Babs on August 17, 2014, 04:36:20 PM
Glad you are still managing to have a lovely time despite being poorly....hopefully you'll be back on top form very soon! :angel:
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 17, 2014, 10:47:40 PM
The only good thing about the TT is the weight management...those tiny portions will be doing you the world of good  :) :)
What did you think Botanik? We loved it there in June although it had only just opened and was very quiet. Their cocktails were fab. It looks busy enough now though, judging by the photos on Facebook.
Sure you will be feeling more like your old self soon :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 18, 2014, 07:15:56 AM
Monday 18th August.

Well, I'm doing a Shrley today  ;) I thought I'd better report back early doors as we are in for a busy day today and all will be revealed tomorrow.  :)

Thanks for your kind words peeps. As each day goes by, I'm feeling so much better. We loved botanik and the cocktails were very good value for money, especially when we got a free one as they had made a mistake with our order!

Yesterday, we were all up and out for 10am, in the search for breakfast. We were all starving and were like hunter gatherers on a mission for some good food. We trundled up the kalamar road and  thought we'd go to cafe vita but it was full to the rafters so we had to have a rethink. After hardly any deliberation we decided on cafe Leon. I had my usual menemen and was told by a waiter last night that I seemed to be on a menemen mission this holiday  ??? Has he been reading this blog   ??? Or has he been looking at my Facebook pics  ??? Made me think I need to expand on my breakfast menus ha ha.
We  had a lovely  brekkie and wanted to carry on exploring in the car but the girls just wanted to get back to the villa.

We dropped them off and set off to find our friends villa which we had a vague idea of the vicinity but no map as the electric was off and I couldn't access my messages on Facebook. Amazingly we found it and as it was around lunchtime, how could I refuse a very welcome glass of pimms  ;D boy it was hot hot hot yesterday, so muggy too and I felt like I was melting. We had a lovely couple of hours there and then back home for a welcome dip in the pool.

As Shirl mentioned, they called in on their way to kaputas and it was so lovely to spend time with them, having a laugh and a drink. I can't believe how quickly yesterday went and before we knew it, we had our glad rags on, ready for another night on the tiles.  The only problem was that our youngest has now become victim of the TUrkey Trots  :( but thought she felt well enough to try an evening out bless her. The lure of the brownies at Mussakka was too much to resist. So we had a fantastic meal at Mussakka. I had the starter of chicken livers as a main course accompanied with gorgeous glazed veg.  I was licking my lips in anticipation as I shook the black pepper pot over it and lo and behold, the bloody lid fell off and the whole of the contents fell on my dinner! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Luckily the waiter saw my predicament and within 5 mins another hot steaming plateful appeared, with an extra portion of veg too. I wolfed it down as it was the first proper meal I'd had in a few days. Boy was I full after scoffing that  :)

We met some friends afterwards and reclined on the thrones at Yakamoz for a couple of hours. When we arranged to meet them, telling them we would meet them on the thrones, our friend thought, with my recent history, that I meant on the loo as they'd never noticed or heard of Yakamoz/Jimmys before  :) we had a good laugh at that.

Straight to bed when we got home as our poor youngest was not feeling brilliant and only managed a taste of her steak and chips and brownies. She really wanted to eat it too.

This morning she has been ill during the night but is putting a brave face on. Damn you trots for putting a damper on our holidays.  ::)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 18, 2014, 11:04:12 AM
Another fab report Lizzie but so sorry that your youngest little one is now poorly. Hopefully she will feel better this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing you later. You must have been speechless with pepper all over your meal! X

Post by: kalkan4eva on August 18, 2014, 11:31:31 AM
Oh no....the TT has struck again in the Lizilu household :( What rotten luck. Hopefully you still have some magic pills left for your youngest. Good to know you are fighting fit though.
Hope you tried the Apple Martinis at Jimmy's...whilst on the throne. That did make me laugh ;D
Look forward to your next installment :)
Post by: Skunk on August 18, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
So sorry to hear about the TT plague striking again Lizzie. Poor you and your youngest girl. Horrid for her. Hope she improves quickly. Try and have a good day even so. Sxx
Post by: Babs on August 18, 2014, 03:58:22 PM
Sadly one can spend rather too much time on the throne in Kalkan! Hope everyone is feeling well soon.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 19, 2014, 04:32:23 PM
Tuesday 19th August

Sakklikent day today!

Yesterday was another infectious day in the Kisiltas Sanitoruim (or should that be sanitarium;D).  Our poor little girl had been so poorly overnight that we had to cancel our breakfast plans for Ada Patissierie with Bob and Jayne and instead, took a trip to our new best friend the pharmacist. Not only were we dealing with another case of TT, I now have a beautiful cold sore adorning my bottom lip. Money that should have been spent on a yummy Turkish breakfast, was instead spent on a shed load of antibiotics. Although I had some tablets and capsules left, Lucie our youngest, struggles to take them, plus as she is only just 13, I thought we'd better be on the safe side. The lovely pharmacist sorted us out. Metronidazole syrup and metoclopromide for Lulu and Acyclovir for me and we were good to go. Another load of washing in the machine  ::) and one pan of chicken fajitas later, we were on our way to our friends villa for a BBQ.  Bob and Jayne were also invited so OH ferried us all down there with food, grog and goodies balanced precariously on our knees.

Luckily Lucie was feeling a little bit better by the afternoon, but she was more than happy to relax in their villa and use the facilities there if she felt unwell. As it was, after Just 2 doses of the antibiotics and anti emetics she really rallied thank goodness.

We had all contributed something, like a Jacobs join as we call it up North, and between us we created a veritable feast. Their villa is lovely and situated just above the last footbridge. There are some amazing villas to their left and rumour has it that Myleene Klass owns one of them. We never saw her though  :)

After a lovely afternoon of swimming, eating, drinking, chatting and laughing, we set off home. We decided to walk down with Bob and Jayne to the taxi rank and get a taxi from there. The hill by their villa is one of the steepest gradients and we were laden up like pack horses with our gear. I was in front with the girls and OH and Bob and Jayne following on when we heard an almighty clatter. OH had just saved himself from a trip to the hospital. He nearly went head first down the steps as his foot got stuck in a frond from a palm tree/triffid! He was very lucky he righted himself but I'm sure the clatter of the saucepan he dropped and his expletives emitted from his mouth awoke the whole of Kisiltas  ;D
Jayne was so right when she said we looked something like the Von Trapp family as we negotiated those slopes  :)

When we arrived home, I was so hot and bothered that I made OH a quick nightcap and sneaked outside, stripped off and spent a lovely 10 mins on my own, under the stars, commando in the swimming pool. Until that is, our youngest spied me and told over me. I felt like a naughty schoolgirl "Mummmmm! What are you doing!!!! Daddddd, Mums at it again". Luckily Baba saw the funny side  ;D and so another day Endeth in paradise.

As I mentioned it was sakklikent today, tune in tomorrow for Another instalment. No doubt Shirley will whet your appetite in the morning. I wish I had her stamina for early rises  ;D
Post by: Haybo on August 19, 2014, 06:34:35 PM
Im so sorry that you have been hit with these ailments.  We were very lucky. Slight gurgly tums but nothing serious! Last year i had a problem with a sore eye, which we identified 4 months later to be a seed that had embedded in my eye and started to sprout! Keep your eyes peeled for myleene.....you can show her how to really wear a white bikini!
Post by: Skunk on August 19, 2014, 07:59:20 PM
Oh Lizzie I'm really sorry if I whatsapped you while you were having your "me" moment  :( :o Just know you love the Yorkshire puds!! Sounds like a great afternoon apart from poor Lucie's illness. Thank goodness for lovely pharmacists and the over the counter pharmacopeia over there.   :) :) :) What is a Jacob's join when it's at home?  Never heard of it, despite being a Yorkshire lass myself. It certainly looked like a good old feast from the photos. Hope Saklikent went well.  ;) ;) ;) Can't wait for tomorrow's instalment to hear all about it! Sxx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 19, 2014, 10:39:29 PM
Oh you are funny....skinny dipping!!! Sounds like the perfect end to another perfect day in Kalkan. We only live to embarrass our kids as we get older and you get 10 out of 10 for that effort.
Hopefully everyone is on the mend now thanks to our BFF at the pharmacy opposite Lemon Garden. I go and stock up on all sorts before we go home - he even knows what I need. I'm running through my list "furosemide, antibiotic cream, cortisone cream, fusidat..." Fastjel? Oh yes please 2 Fastjel.
If the cold sore cream works just let me know, it will be added to my list for next year - its horribly expensive here.
I mentioned on Jaynes blog this morning that you were all fortunate to get down in one piece from Kiziltas in the dark after...erm the odd glass of wine ::) Its pretty treacherous in the dark on the steep bits as the paths are not exactly well made. Its quite easy to lose your footing so Baba's lucky the only thing that crashed to the floor was the saucepan.
Really looking forward to hearing about your day at Saklikent.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 20, 2014, 06:15:37 PM
Evening all!  :)

We've just returned from a fabulous day out on Yildiz 2, so a quick blog tonight with a cold glass of wine to help the words flow from my sun frazzled fingers.  :)

As Shirl/Jayne mentioned so brilliantly, yesterday was Saklikent day and what a fantastic day it was. It was another first for us, we are doing so many different things this holiday and it's fantastic. Like she said, it was a bit disorganised and we would definitely have preferred to do the gorge before lunch, but we really enjoyed it. As Jayne mentioned, we ( and gallant Bob ) only did the part by the second rocks as you then had to scramble over more and more and the water was rising rapidly. How funny it was to see people's flip flops stuck in mud, or floating by and one little kid was nearly up to his waist in mud, his dad frantically trying to heave him out, minus his below waist clobber as the mud relentlessly enveloped him  :( we precariously crossed the rapids, me and Jayne, dancing crab like until we reached safety.   ;D we waited for my lot to return and suddenly, it was action stations. The police and paramedics arrived and started putting tape across the river, ordering everyone out quick smart. Meanwhile, no sign of my family. It was a bit worrying to say the least. Then suddenly they appeared, a bit battered  and bruised (well one daughter who did a comedic slip, but pride hurt more than physical injury), and the police assisted them across, carrying little kids  for their parents. I'm really not sure what had happened, but as we left the gorge, there was an ambulance there that wasn't there when we arrived. Rumour had it, that there was a surge while we were there and they were erring on the side of safety.

Back on our way home in the mini bus, we had an interesting ride. I'm sure Shirl won't mind me revealing that she's a nervous passenger and she kept thinking the driver was falling asleep as he slumped to one side every now and then. We also viewed a bloke relieving himself in a field, without a care in the world and scary scarecrows which put the willies up Baba  ;D the ladies were herding their sheep and goats and it was a delight to see authentic Turkish day to day life as we passed through the villages on our journey homewards, albeit later than we should have been, thanks to the Russians and their need for chips!

Last night, I could hardly move my legs. My knees are gammy at the best of times but there was no bending them at all. Stupidly, as I will not give in, we decided to walk into town after a couple of sundowners on the roof top. By the time we got there, we collapsed in the nearest bar, which happened to be the Mini Bar. Two wines later and I was good to stagger! We  only got as  far as kosk and decided to eat there. Another first for us. OH and I shared the lamb in the clay pot, goodness knows what the girls had. I think it was Mexican in origin as by this stage, I had my head in my hands and felt a wee bit sqiffy. Again, not much to drink but it really had gone to my head. We managed to make it up,to the taxi rank and then had a highly amusing taxi ride home in Baba's Taxi. Not my OH, but a fantastic guy who has pimped his taxi up with leopard skin seat covers and kept hanging his head out of the window, frightening passers by as he hollered "PEEP PEEP" at them and again, referred to OH as BAba. Me and the girls were rolling about in the back seat. Best journey home ever  ;D

OH assisted me, his old bird, off to bed and I slept like a log, only waking to drink a gallon of water to soften my parched throat at 5am!

K4E, the acyclovir cream is fab. My cold sore is nowhere near as bad as previous ones  as I treated it the minute I felt the tingle I usually bring some from home but I'd forgotten it. I usually get it quite cheap as I get a staff discount from the pharmacy where  GP surgery I work at is situated. Handy hint, if you buy it in the UK, always ask for acyclovir as it is so much cheaper using its generic name, rather than its brand name of Zovirax. It's a massive tube, sizes bigger than the acyclovir at home (usually sold as Zovirax). That with 2 medicines was 30tl. Bargain and add it to your shopping list. I must admit, it was funny in the pharmacy, as OH has never seen me in nursey work mode before and thought I was speaking Turkish as my new friend the pharmacist and I conversed in medical and Latin phraseology!

Well my wine glass is empty, the sun has set, time to eat! See you tomorrow for another instalment and thanks agin so much. Like Shirley says, it's a lovely  surprise when we see such kind and witty comments from our EK Pals. Oh and Skunk, nearly forgot, a Jacobs join is a buffet where Everyone contributes something. You must be from the posh part  >:D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 20, 2014, 06:41:54 PM
Oh Lizzie, we have had so many laughs on this holiday, but your blog tonight has just left Bob and I seriously laughing out loud! Such a fab day today on Yildiz 2  :D xx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 20, 2014, 09:32:58 PM
Think something's wrong with the forum tonight....my post has now gone missing too ???
Anyway, as I was saying.......
No wonder your poor knees were aching with all the wading and climbing at Saklikent. You and your partners in crime are packing so much into your holiday, it's impressive. I swear, I would need a holiday to get over your holiday so you are doing brilliantly. I'd be collapsing on my bed at 7pm every night and not surfacing until the following day.
Thanks for adding to my pharmacy list....another brilliant item by the sound of it  ;)
Another great installment, Lizilu. Thanks for posting.
Post by: Holidaylover28 on August 21, 2014, 10:48:29 AM
Great posts Liz, getting me even more excited for our trip in 4 weeks today! just a quick question about breakfasts how much roughly are you paying for breakfast as we plan to eat out a couple of mornings rather than breakfast in the villa. Thanks  :)
Post by: Skunk on August 21, 2014, 11:18:13 AM
Lizzie thanks for your post - sounds quite an eventful and scary day. Couldn't get on the forum last night - it just wouldn't open, but I think my computer knows I've just retired and is starting to retire too.  I think I might have to invest in an Ipad.  Don't think it was all that posh a part of Yorkshire but maybe left Yorkshire before we did bring and shares - I was only 7!!  ::) ::) :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 21, 2014, 03:37:56 PM
Thursday 21st August

As you have already heard from Shirl. Yesterday was Yildiz 2 day and we had an absolutely fabulous day out. His family are so friendly and welcoming and his little girl is a star. Her English is amazing and not only did she assist her parents throughout the day, at the end of the day she was totalling all our charges up too and taking the payments. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years time, she will be captain of Yildiz 4!

The mud baths were indeed the star turn yesterday. Both OH and Bob really got into the spirit of things and slip, slapped and slopped that mud everywhere, and I mean everywhere! Another load of washing on today and thank goodness the swimmers were back to normal. I even picked a piece of grit out of my belly button this morning and I apologise to whoever was behind me as I showered off on the boat yesterday. It's a good job we are all friends.  ;D

Something really weird occurred last night. Eloise, one of our daughters was on Instagram and typed in #kalkan just to see what others have shared about Kalkan ( #don'taskmeas ihaven'tgotaclue ) and screamed! It seems that somebody off another boat has shared a picture of us all lined up like swampy creatures, on the mud bath beach! OMG, we are on the interweb!!

We decided to stay in last night, so bought a couple of rotisserie chickens from chicken man on the way home. We had a lovely night, just chilling and spending some quality family time together. Next year our two eldest will probably be doing their own thing so I'm savouring every minute with all 3 of our girls this year. We had doorstep hot chicken, mayo and salad on Turkish bread, accompanied by cheese and olives smothered in oil and lemon juice and sprinkled with herbs and spices and, wait for it...salt and vinegar crisps!!! First time we've ever seen them before in Kalkan! Oh it was a really lovely night. We were all shattered though. A day out at sea, doing nothing really takes it out of you!

This morning, having realised that we really are now counting down the days, decided to go out for breakfast and tick a few things off the to do list. So, Turkish breakfast at cafe vita today for me and it was deeelicious! A perfectly timed soft boiled egg. 2 types of cheese, spicy sausage, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, walnuts, honey, jam, Nutella, butter, bread and coffee - fab! Full English for OH and tuna sandwich for our youngest and it came to,59tl. Hope this helps holidaylover. You will always find a fab brekkie in Kalkan, be it traditionally Turkish, English or continental. 
We then went up to Lavanta to see Davut from the Marina. We promise ever since it was built, that  we'd have a look up and never had up until today. It was lovely up there and a lovely gentle breeze was blowing too. We got talking to a really nice family who are staying there and they were blown away with the place. Maybe somewhere to consider for the future?

I'm off for another swim now and then soon it will be time to get ready to meet up for tonight's gathering of the clan at Asian Garry! 3 times in 2 weeks  ??? Oh yes please!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 21, 2014, 04:50:56 PM
Another brilliant one Lizzie! we are going to miss blogging next week aren't we?

Jx
Post by: Haybo on August 21, 2014, 06:35:17 PM
I think i will just make up a blog! I wonder what outrageous things i can get up to! asian  garry watch out..... We're gonna get up to all sorts!
Post by: Skunk on August 21, 2014, 07:46:32 PM
Had to laugh at your post Lizzie.  The thought of the lot of you being photographed on the mud bath beach in the nude made me hoot. Sounds like you had a bit of a relax after the last couple of busy days. Just seen your photo at Asian Gate on facebook - the girls have grown up a lot but even if they go and do their own thing for holidays soon, they always come back to  experience a bit of luxury with mum and dad at some stage! We have taken the girls on several holidays and cossetted them a bit. They love it! I can't believe there's not long till the end of your holiday - I will really miss your and Shirl's blogs - it's been great to relive the place and it'll keep me counting the days for the year until 2015. Did Jayne show you the apartment we have booked? Enjoy Sxx :) :) :) :-*
Post by: maddie on August 21, 2014, 07:53:44 PM
it's lovely to hear about your family times. I don't know how you manage to fit so much in. We have fabulous memories of the days we spent with our 2 in Kalkan. Now our son is bringing his girlfriend in Sept and we really hope she enjoys it so we can continue the family traditions........ they are renting the Deniz Apts, does anyone know anything about them?
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 21, 2014, 10:45:49 PM
Oh the joys of social media....great when we think we are in control, shocking when we're not. We thought we had the last holiday with ours in 2009, but we did have another one with all three of them in 2011.....the power of the Bank of Mum and Dad :) Now they are 6 instead of 3 so the chances of them all coming back at the same time with us is pretty slim so savour every family moment  :)
Your holiday has gone so quickly, I can't bear the thought of you not being there to brighten the cold miserable UK weather....
Asian Gary well deserves more than o e visit....not only is the food fantastic their service is amongst the best in Kalkan. Oh and we stay just a stones throw away  :laugh:
Enjoy!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 22, 2014, 03:07:18 PM
Friday 22nd August

It's been a scorcher today guys  8) 8) 8)

In between Vita and our visit to Lavanta, yesterday, we made a sweaty trip to the market. Grandma Babs has requested some more towels and as I was indisposed last week, I thought I'd better make the effort this week. It was much bigger than April and seemed to go on for ever but was much of the same old tat ( I love looking at tat ) repeated again and again. Last week our youngest bought some vans and OH bought his beatspill and they are both still functioning well. I didn't bother buying any towels as they were quite expensive for what they were and there are a couple of lovely towel shops in the old town which are actually better value for money IMO. Is it just me or is it getting more expensive on the market   ??? I overheard a bloke on one of the bag stalls asking for over £100.00 for a knock off LV which had really poor stitching? I'm sure the prices are higher than they were in April. We ended up with my usual shipping order of spices, black peppercorns - so much cheaper than at home, even in August - sumac, which is gorgeous on salads and sea food, kofte spice, chicken spice and cumin and 5 DVD's. Lots of "cheap shite" "quality crap" " I'm from Baaaaarnsley" - yeah right, later and we had had our fill.

We spent a fab afternoon by the pool, after visiting Lavanta and had some good fun with the girls, and my special time with Walter of course  ;)

So as you know, last night was spent at Asian Garry again! 3 times in one holiday but boy is it worth it. There were 11 of us in total and we had a fab night. The food was awesome. I had chicken tikka Lahore style, with cumin pilau rice, butter sauce and chicken chaat for starters. I also shared a keema naan with OH. In total as a family of 5 we spent the equivalent of £100.00 but we all had startes and mains and drinks aplenty. In fact  I stopped counting the drinks as it was too much effort. Unfortunately, Shirley did the same much to her regret and I think  paid the price this morning hahaha  ;D

Today was an effort to get out of my pit although I shot out like a bolt when I discovered there had been 3 in our bed last night  ??? Me, OH and a crispy dehydrated spider that revealed itself as I shuffled out of bed at 9 this morning. Aaarrggghhh!!! I felt the bile rise as I realised my squashed companion had been snuggled close all night long. Yuk yuk yuk!!!!

This morning was spent at the town beach, Yeah!!!!! Another fantastic first for us and one that was long overdue. Why have we never done this before I ask myself? I even managed to alight kind of gracefully from the shale thanks to my hot tuna footwear. Even better, who should come along, but Jayne and Bob  :) we had a lovely couple of hours together. Totally unplanned but so nice. Jayne and I are like partners in crime and get on so well together. We were naughty today though. Jayne is a little bit nervous of the turtles and there were actually 4 in there with us today.  We may have pretended they were a little bit closer than they really were to Jayne.  ;D sorry Jaynie  ;)

So we are off to Moonlight tonight (the restaurant) with Bob, Jayne and our sausage friends  :) another first for us. I will report back of course, with the juicy details   ;D

Meanwhile, Walter is beckoning and so is OH, his tuburg glass is empty and guess whose job it is to refill it?

Post by: Blue Lizard on August 22, 2014, 03:33:53 PM
Another great post..thanks for keeping Kalkan alive in my mind!!  you are right about the market..it's getting expensive and quality is not as good as it was ..T shirts are getting thinner !! I saw some nice shorts but could I have a look at them in peace??NO chance! they were thrust nearly up my hooter! and when I asked how much I told him you are having a Giraffe mate!!  this became his new saying so I apologise for that! ;D...I can do without the pestering in the heat of the canvas  best buys were the DVD all of which (10)worked bar 1 which had Chinese subtitles(I can now order from our takeaway in mandarin :P)
oh! and fancy giving a poor little spider a dutch oven!!! :D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 22, 2014, 03:43:35 PM
Brilliant Lizzie yet again! but not so brilliant that the Turtle wasn't as close as I was led to believe!!I really believed Automan!!!  lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looking forward to Moonlight Pension for dinner later as well, and we musn't forget the Space Station, Bob said it is at 8.24pm!! Not too many alcoholic beverages before that time or we will forget again!

Shirl x
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 22, 2014, 04:57:50 PM
Loving your blogs, Lizilu. Between you and Shirley we are getting a double treat of daily goings on. Fab :) But that does mean double the misery when you both go home...booooo!
A spider in your bed - holy moley, I'd have been screaming my head off - dead or not. Urrgghh :P :P
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 23, 2014, 01:51:41 PM
Saturday 23rd August

It's another scorcher today alright. I'm not sure of the exact temperature as there is no thermometer in the villa but it feels almost unbearable at times. The heat of the sun seems to soak right into your bones which is good for the vitamin D level I suppose. At work, my patients are becoming obsessed with their vitamin D levels and form queues for my venepuncture skills, (vampire blood taking) in the quest to check it out. It's a bit like the statin craze or the lipid/cholesterol craze of a few years ago. I say, bugger the blood tests, come to Kalkan and top your levels up in a day!!

So yesterday, after the beach we headed up to Adems for lunch. It was so lovely to see him and his family and of course we were welcomed like the old friends we are. We didn't linger as despite the shade, we were melting but had a fab hour or so catching up on his news and eating his lovely food, while soaking up the spectacular views. There were a family in the next table who arrived after us, commenting on the article in The Times, they had read which had made them decide to venture up. It sounded as though they weren't dissappointed and were having a lovely time. I had the shrimp casserole which was lovely. OH had sea Bass, youngest had chips and a chocolate pancake (not on the same plate !) and our other 2 had chicken arrabiata. With 2 rounds of drinks, it came to 173tl.

Soon it was time to come home, report back to you guys and then get ready for our night out at the moonlight terrace restaurant. What a lovely little place and another first for us. The food is all traditional and was absolutely delicious. It cost approx 270tl for the 5 of us for food and drinks. OH and I opted for the 2 course set menu and our girls had the a la carte option which is not necessarily more expensive, just requires ordering the day before.
As Jayne has already reported, we had a really lovely night and the wine was going down a treat! We were supposed to be going towel and trinket shopping afterwards but somehow ended up in that fab bar Jayne has already mentioned called the Blue Turtle. There was a Turkish lad singing and he was brilliant, he sang a variety of songs eg greenday, kings of Leon, Eric Clapton etc then a bloke (holidaymaker) appeared with his guitar and did a few fab easy listening numbers. He invited anyone else to come and sing and I don't know how Jayne and I stopped ourselves from belting out"it's raining men"   Well , I do know how we were stopped actually. We were physically restrained by Bob and OH telling us that we would regret it in the morning and they of course were right. It would have been another venue where I would have had to look the other way as I walked past!  ;D ;D ;D
After Jayne and I sadly declined the offer of our 15mins of fame, a young girl from another table shyly made her way up to the mike and sang the most beautiful rendition of somewhere over the rainbow, that I've ever heard. Her voice was amazing and to think that it could have been me and Jayne warbling tunelessly instead of her pure talent doesn't bear thinking about  :D.

I was very very muzzy this am and have only really come to now. I promise to be a good girl tonight on our moonlight cruise, honestly  ::)
Post by: BarbH on August 23, 2014, 05:10:26 PM
You are certainly making the most of your holiday, wish I had  the energy you have.

We went into  Blue Turtle twice when we was staying in the Korsan apartments this year. got to agree with you about the singer, he really has a good voice. Shame when we was there  was hardly anyone  there so pleased it is getting some publicity.

When we was there we got offered a swim in the pool, now I could imagine you and Jayne taking that up if offered!!!!!;D

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Post by: Skunk on August 23, 2014, 05:32:14 PM
I laughed out loud at this Lizzie - just imagining the two of you warbling away1 Bob and OH were very sensible! Enjoy your cruise tonight.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 24, 2014, 03:52:39 PM
Sunday 24th August.

Well can you believe that it's our last full day here and tomorrow is the dreaded day we go home  :o  :(

Yesterday we had another fabulous day. A morning at the town beach with Bob and Jayne, lunch at fener, family time around the pool and finally the moonlight boat trip.

All I can say is fab fab fab!!!!

We all piled on to the Piña x with C'pn Abdi at the helm. As Jayne has already mentioned, he asked us would we prefer a choppy or calm mooring for the sunset. We chose calm for the sake of our youngest who has kind of found her sea legs, but not quite enough to cope with rough water, so we moored up at Frenk bay. During the day time, the sea temperature here can be very bracing to say the least, but it was lovely and calm and dare I say it, quite warm. It was brilliant swimming as the sun was lowering itself behind kalamar bay. We all got back on deck to watch the sunset with our wine, beer and g and t's and it was a really wonderful moment. Swimming in the pitch Black Sea was also fab and then reclining on the top deck with bob and Jayne and our girls, all in a line, marvelling as the space station travelled across the sky and watching the stars twinkling above. It was so relaxing being lulled by the gentle rocking and swaying of the boat. After a delicious meal, we assumed position again, this time it was so soporific that Jayne fell asleep. We had a great time listening to the eagles and the Beatles, singing away and making up ghost stories. I even learned a new trick, of balancing my wine glass on my stomach. When Jayne awoke, we kidded her that she'd missed the belly dancers that jumped on board and and the zombie goats that we'd pretended to see. I told her that we'd been dancing and raving while she was sleeping, but really we just chilled out under the moonlight.

The highlight of the night was when we spied Jayne wearing her sunglasses on her head and our daughters identical ones on her face. How we laughed and poor old Shirl had no idea what we were laughing at!

The only downside to the trip was the bloody mozzie bites we aquired as we found to our dismay this morning. We were all itching like we had scabies as we tucked into our breakfast at Merkez. The spraying in town obviously works as none of us has had any bites up until last night. Incidentally, Turkish breakfast at Merkez is lovely but a bit odd as you have a beautiful plate of fruit, cheese, ham, olives, salad, toast and honey - with a crispy fried egg slap bang in the middle. It's the first time I've ever had the chance of dipping melon into my fried egg   :)

So I will try and report back in the morning before we leave but if I don't get chance, I'll continue our last days antics when we get back to good old blighty!  ;D

Post by: Skunk on August 24, 2014, 05:45:33 PM
You are such a laugh Lizzie. I will miss all these blogs from both of you when you get back. The moonlight cruise sounds lovely but I get in a terrible state when I get bitten by mozzies - come up in huge red blotches about the size of a 50p. :o :o >:( I've got so many scars from them on my legs I avoid them at all costs! Can't believe your holiday is coming to an end already. Don't want to be a misery but it really is freezing here - we have had the heating on and I am wrapped up in a throw.  ??? ??? ???You'll need sweaters and coats when you get back! You'll probably need another holiday too to recover from all your action packed days and nights!! Are you back at work on Tuesday? Well at least you'll miss the dreaded Monday long day! If we don't hear again have a safe journey and take care. :) :) :)
Love Sxx
Post by: Babs on August 24, 2014, 08:38:43 PM
Am very disappointed.....looked on Instagram (get me?) but couldn't find you! Please don't come home....I'm enjoying your blogs too much!
Post by: Haybo on August 24, 2014, 08:42:05 PM
I found a picture but it was a long way down the list....keep looking.
Post by: Babs on August 24, 2014, 09:15:28 PM
Found it.....posted one day ago!  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 24, 2014, 10:18:06 PM
Oh goodness.....it all seems to have come to an end so quickly. Absolutely gutted you are going home tomorrow :( :(
It's the only thing about a nighttime cruise....the bloody mozzies >:( such a beautiful way to spend an evening though.
As skunk says, Autumn has come early at home, it's absolutely freezing. You will definitely need your sweaters when you land at Manchester - it will be a huge shock to your systems.
Have a good last day tomorrow and a safe return flight. Boy, I'm going to miss your daily updates, feel bereft :'(
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 26, 2014, 04:48:55 PM
Tuesday 26th August.

Well this is the last instalment of Lizilu and family's 2014 summer special. It doesn't seem 2 mins since I started and now it's come to an end. Why don't 2 weeks at work fly by in the same way? ???

It's been an absolute pleasure reporting back to HQ and reading all your lovely, kind and funny comments. Ive felt as though you were all here with me and I tried my hardest to recreate the Kalkan atmosphere and ambience for you all to hopefully enjoy. I absolutely love reading holiday reports as they keep me going until the next visit and keep the magic of Kalkan alive for me, so if I've even managed to do a little of this for you guys, then I've reached my goal. It's been brilliant to have my partner in crime, Shirley not only in Kalkan with me, but reporting back too. I've loved reading your reports Shirl, or is it back to being Jayne now?  :'(

So, enough of the soppy Oscar winning speech  ;D, time to do that final report...

Sunday was our last full day in Kalkan and I was on a bit of a downer if I'm honest. I hate last days, so depressing, but my fab family and lovely friends Bob and Jayne, made it a brilliant day to remember. As I mentioned, we breakfasted at Merkez which was another first. I had the Turkish breakfast, not the best I've had really, but I also had a fantastic cafe frappe, or iced coffee which was delicious and had me buzzing. I don't as a rule have caffeinated coffee these days as it sends me a bit loopy - I once ended up in A/E after a heavy coffee session, so I take it easy now and find that an odd cup is ok so long as I stay on the decaffeinated wagon for the majority of time. That's my excuse for drinking wine  ;)
It was lovely at Merkez, OH had a double cheeseburger and all 3 girls had chicken burgers with frozen strawberry sorbets to accompany! The frozen strawberries were yummy but quite tart, as OH remarked "they make you smile at the back of your mouth". We spent a leisurely hour or so there, reading the Sunday papers and watching the world go by. We then had a very sweaty amble around the old town, souvenir and towel shopping. We bought 2 more of the gorgeous glass tea light holders that thankfully survived the trip home, bracelets for our girls friends, a gorgeous hand mirror for me, fridge magnets (it's a tradition) and 2 luxurious Turkish towels for Grandma Babs and Grandad Keith. Laden down with our goods we made our way up the hill, stopping for a welcome blast of air at the Yali fan.

Sunday afternoon was spent at the villa, topping up our tans and I'm pleased to report that I've managed to tan my sides this year. Not that anyone will see this but I know I've achieved it  :) and playing host to our friends who had to be out of their villa by lunch time. We enjoyed a very relaxing afternoon and before we knew it, it was time for our last dinner in Kalkan. We had decided that we would go to Akin restaurant as we had had such fun there last year, so Jayne kindly booked for us and we had a really enjoyable last supper. Especially when the fireworks started and the music started blaring from the speakers. "Come on ladies, dancing time" so we obliged as it would have been rude not to  ;) and Jayne and I strutted our stuff and gyrated our bellies and threw shapes on that dance floor, the like of which had never been seen before  ;D!!! Well we did our best to keep up anyway and had a very fun time in the process. I got the usual rolling of eyes from our girls but I'm used to it by now, water off a ducks back ha ha  :) we really had a fab time.

Yesterday was departure day  :'( frantic packing of 5 cases and a quick trip down to Bob and JAynes to say our goodbyes to them both and to my Walter who is kindly being stored over the winter at their apartment, along with a few more bits and bobs including surplus to requirements pimms and gin that we can look forward to knocking back next year.

The transport was due to arrive at 12 midday so at 11 am, all packing complete, we all sat down on the terrace, under the shade of the gazebo, a glass of wine for me and a beer for OH ( wasn't throwing that away  :)) and as a family, we talked about our experiences this year, the highlights and the low lights ( hardly any ) and we decided between us quite emotionally that we don't want to holiday apart next year. Despite our 2 eldest being 18 next year and wanting to fly the nest, they both admitted that they really really want to come again with us next year so we will have to work hard on that one and hope we can achieve this. We were all in agreement that the best night of the holiday was spent on the moonlight cruise so that's a definite for next year.

So final observations for 2014

1. Ensure that when swimming on the town beach, you don't go further than the boundary. Some idiot did this while we were on the moonlight cruise as we were pulling out of the harbour by the beach and we very nearly saw a tragic accident. Captain Abdi used his nautical skills and managed to avoid the decapitation of this fool by a whisker. It was really very scary and we all screamed and felt sickened. Makes me shiver now to think about it.
2. Why are the mattresses in Turkey, so bloody hard?
3. Only saw one searchlight this year and this was at a wedding taking place at the bus station. We had a perfect birds eye view from our villa and me and our youngest had a fab night joining in with the dancing and holding our own little celebrations while the rest were huddled around the wifi router, which brings me onto next observation
4. Why could we only get a wifi signal provided we were within a meter of the router? It was very frustrating, especially when writing my blog.
5. Hot tunas or foot wear of the same ilk are a must on the town beach as our two eldest found to their regret this year  ;D so funny to see two fashion conscious young ladies looking like they had St. Vitus' dance as they tried (not so) gracefully to get back onto the beach from the sea.
6. Why do I feel like I now need a holiday, to get over the holiday I've just had  ??? We really jam packed as much as we could into those 16/17 days and had the best time with lovely friends.
7. Need to ask boss for 3 weeks annual leave for next summer - wish me luck everyone.

And so Endeth lizilu20's Kalkan summer special. Over and out for 2014  :-*

Post by: Babs on August 26, 2014, 05:17:13 PM
A lovely last report Lizilu!
Has no one explained to you about the holiday habits of grown up children? They pretend they want to be grown up and do their own thing and then when you mention Kalkan all of a sudden it's quite cool to holiday with your parents....despite our best efforts to embarrass them and you seem to excell at that!  :laugh:
We are already booked in for next May with both our daughters and their partners....the "children" will range from 23 to 31! Personally I can't wait, long may it last! Younger daughter is out there in 3 weeks time with her boyfriend and then we follow in 6 weeks. We now enjoy both types of Kalkan holidays....by ourselves and en famille!
Post by: Kalkan regular on August 26, 2014, 06:11:30 PM
I found that as long as we were paying they would be with us on holiday.
Post by: Haybo on August 26, 2014, 06:27:03 PM
Lizilu20 - what a lovely last report. I must confess i have a lump in my throat reading it! I do hope we get to meet you next year!  I'm not sure i can party quite like Jayne, but it would be worth a try!

I didn't round off like you, but in hindsight, heres what my observations were
- book a trip for the last full day
- give the market a miss
- eat breakfast out more than once
- hire a car and leave the town boundaries at least once ( going to guru's or Adams doesnt count)
- try to arrange another EK meet
Anyway, Kalkan regular will quite rightly have my guts for garters if hubby doesnt get the deposit paid on our apartment soon...or none of this will happen!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 26, 2014, 07:21:33 PM
Oh Lizilu, I feel bereft that you are home....there appears to be no takers on the holiday report front, although I bet Kalkan is stuffed with members right now :(
Its been lovely catching up with your blog every day - has it really been 17 days...? Boy that has just flown by in a jiffy. At least you have brought better weather back with you...I swear we slipped into Autumn whilst you were away >:
Thanks so much for taking the time to report, it sounds like you had the best time ever.
Post by: Kalkan regular on August 26, 2014, 07:28:49 PM
No Haybo I won't and your apartment awaits for 2015 but maybe I'll give you a couple of ideas for next year when you leave the boundaries of Kalkan.
Post by: Haybo on August 26, 2014, 07:33:45 PM
KR- that would be wonderful.  I have jaynes day out to emulate, but new ideas would be ace!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 26, 2014, 07:41:59 PM
So here endeth your report Lizzie, but how fab were they all! and this last one has topped the lot! well done Lovely!

So so tired after a long journey home, I will be doing mine tomorrow! xxx 
Post by: kevtamuk on August 27, 2014, 03:34:50 PM
Thanks for a wonderful report.  Both yours and Jayne's reports have been informative but so, so funny.  I have had some great pictures in my head reading all about your exploints and have laughed out load more times than I can count.

Really appreciate the time it has taken you and all the great recommendations of bars and restaurants have been duly noted.

Hopefully I will do a trip report in October - but I suspect it will be very boring by comparison to yours and Jaynes and definitely will be completed once we return.

Thanks again

Tammy
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 28, 2014, 04:57:03 PM
Oh, please go for it Tammy, the more the merrier and thank you for your kind words.

Haybo, hope you can join us as a dancing partner next year  ;D

Kalkan regular, you got it in one! Let's hope the finances stretch!

And thanks again everyone. I want to be back in Kalkan NOW!!!  :'( :'( :'(
Post by: Babs on August 28, 2014, 06:12:11 PM
Tammy....we can compete for the most boring posts in October!  ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 28, 2014, 08:49:58 PM
Give over Babs, they will be fab!!! You can use a bit of artistic licence if you really have to, not that I ever need to, we always seem to get ourselves into scrapes without even trying  ;D
Post by: clara 50 on August 28, 2014, 10:34:01 PM
Great reports Lizilu, really kept me going until our trip, only four sleeps to go. Cases down and all my gladrags laid on the bed ready for choosing which to take and which old faithfulls to leave behind. Oh the stress!! Please could you tell me where Akin and Blue turtle are situated, sound good fun. Well glad you had a great adventure and keep your chin up the weather  is supposed to warm up for next week.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 29, 2014, 06:29:04 AM
Only 3 more sleeps now clara 50, have a great time, feel excited for you, look forward to hearing all about your holiday too. Wish we were going to be there to wave from across the road, and share a bottle of vino!!  :D :D :D

Jayne x
Post by: Babs on August 29, 2014, 08:03:21 AM
Yes, where is Akin please.....we are determined to try new places this year....but will probably end up going to old favourites!  :laugh:
I'll try my best to get into scrapes Lizilu .....I find I'm not quite as embarrassing when there are just the two of us......but next May there will be six of us......lots of potential for embarrassing the daughters even if they will be 23 and 25 by then! ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 29, 2014, 08:33:12 AM
Ha Ha Babs, can't wait to hear all about your hols! Akin is just above Alternatif Restaurant on the left hand side going up the hill, just before Authentic, hope that makes sense.  Opposite the lovely little gift shop with the cat figure on the wall outside. 

Jx
Post by: Rachey on August 29, 2014, 01:06:29 PM
Lizilu - along with B&J's reports, you've kept me going until our next visit.  Your reports were fabulous.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post!  :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 29, 2014, 01:11:57 PM
Thanks Rachey  :-* it was a pleasure

Not long to go now Clara50! I'm excited for you.  :) Akin is just as Jayne described and the Blue Turtle is just below Chillies on the road that leads to cardiac hill and the Meditteranean. You'd better get your fingers nimble as I'm hoping there's going to be a report or 2 from you  ;)  :-*
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 29, 2014, 02:40:26 PM
The Blue Turtle has to be the fastest name change in the history of Kalkan....! We attended the opeing night of Istanbul restaurant when we were there in June and around 4 days later the signs had changed to Blue Turtle. Distnictly odd - but then so was the opening night ::)
Post by: Mayday1 on August 29, 2014, 03:50:24 PM
The only thought that I have regarding the name change from Istanbul restaurant to Blue Turtle bar( a quick change as you say ) is that as there is already an Istanbul restaurant in the town............maybe they complained,which I can understand.........Its like having two moonlight bars or two Alternatif restaurants etc....you get the idea.

I don't know that this is the reason,but it may well explain the hasty name change.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 29, 2014, 04:43:27 PM
There are two Moonlight Bars..! And there used to be two Alternatifs - although one was spelt differently. Or were you being ironic? :-\ ::)
Istanbul in the village has moved around in the last few years, but as we were invited to the opening by Verdat (Istanbul chef) you would assume this was the original Istanbul in a new home? I dont know of another Istanbul but if there is they would be the new boys.
Any ideas, anyone..?
Post by: Mayday1 on August 29, 2014, 05:08:06 PM
Hi Kalkan4eva,

I believe there is only one Moonlight Bar (stand to be corrected).I know there is The Moonlight rooftop Restaurant,by Chillies......very good,as well  !!

The Istanbul restaurant directions........go down cardiac hill,past Foto pizza,just round the corner,go left up the little track.......which eventually comes out at Mojito's.

ISTANBUL RESTAURANT LOCATION    Between Chocolate Bar and Akdeniz restaurant, near the hill going down to Pirat Hotel (new location for 2010) KTLC: KY4 G1 (GRID REF: E5) Phone: 0242 844 2986 email: Website: N/A Opening hours: Bar: No Roof terrace:...

Post by: Mayday1 on August 29, 2014, 05:28:53 PM
Just to clarify the point on Istanbul restaurant.......there were always two restaurants at the back of Foto........Akdeniz and Istanbul...........However,one of the two closed when they closed the fish market.......and I am not sure which of the two it was.......Anyone know for sure ?
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 29, 2014, 05:57:57 PM
Strictly speaking you are right of course, there's only one Moonlight Bar but there are two Moonlight establishments - and you are very welcome to just have a drink in Moonlight Pansyion :-*
Istanbul moved from its location of many many years near Sofra - I'm not entirely sure where it went in the Old Town and I think for a year it was actually homeless. Verdat was the longstanding chef at Istanbul and they may well have ended up near Akdeniz at some point. However this year Verdat opened Istanbul in what is now Blue Turtle Bar - whether it moved from near Chocolate to this location, I'm not sure. What does surprise me is the speed with which the Istanbul signs came down and the Blue Turtle signs went up. I'm pretty sure even if the Istanbul near Akdeniz was nothing to do with Verdat, he would have a stronger claim to the name as the original.
I think we may get told off by the mods for going off topic  :-[ :-[
Post by: Mayday1 on August 29, 2014, 06:31:32 PM
Yes you are right.You can drink at Moonlight pansyion.Definetly need to get back on topic now.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 29, 2014, 07:10:58 PM
Moonlight pansyion was lovely. It was the first time we have been there and we would definitely return. The only problem was no wifi. Not a problem for us but the girls were bereft  ::) (just helping to get back on topic  :angel:)
Ps this time last week we were there, watching the sun go down  :'(
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 29, 2014, 10:01:16 PM
 ;D ;D
Post by: clara 50 on August 29, 2014, 10:18:08 PM
Well it's all as clear as mud now with the differing answers re new names etc. , but get the general gist. Best bet for us is to go on a rekkie in the jeep, armed with pen and paper tend to remember locations better then. Been there for years but with so many restaurants and as previously posted the regular name changes, our grey matter of a certain age has difficulty keeping up haha !! Well packed clothes today but bought another top tonight so have to be sensible and forfeit a packed one, not a chance. Tomorrows the sandals pack now that will prove a challenge,  how many blingy flip-flops can one woman own without being presumed ever so slightly compulsive?? Come on girls, support needed during these important footwear decisions.  :o Get on to the fave bag choosing on Sunday. These things are sent to try us  ???
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 30, 2014, 05:18:11 PM
Just Birkenstocks and a blingy gold Primani pair of sandals that I have for the evening, and 2 pairs of crocs, a pink and a white pair for the daytime and beach for me Clara 50, I have taken all sorts in the past, but just find that I wear the same ones.

Is it 1 or 2  more sleeps now.  Have a fab time, and look forward to hearing all about it   :D

Jayne
Post by: Haybo on August 30, 2014, 06:55:04 PM
Pretty much the same for me...trusty birkenstocks for beach and boat trips, plus a couple of cheap flat blingy sandals for the evening.  I did covet some sandals in the shop under doy doy, but twere starting at about £45 which is about 4 times what i would normally spend on holiday sandals!  I was secretly hoping ,my cheapies would bite the dust so that i had to buy them, but sadly it didnt happen!

Next year maybe.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 30, 2014, 07:07:46 PM
Similar here. I took hot tunas for the beach. A couple of pairs of blingy flip flops for day time. Two pairs of blingy fit flops in different colours and designs for evening and a pair of very blingy Birkenstock type sandals from schuh which I couldn't resist. I also took a pair of wedges but never wore then after we saw a woman go over on her ankle in the old town.  :o the roads are much better but still steep!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 31, 2014, 09:20:38 PM
I don't think I can begin to count the number of sandals I bring......the heaviest go in my hand luggage, the rest in the case but let's just say they go into double figures  :-[ :-[ But, I do wear them all...From the Croc flip flops to the bling....!!
Post by: Christina on September 01, 2014, 08:24:42 AM
The combo below stands me in good stead for any outfit, whatever the occasion or time of year. They all look elegant but give you a sturdy grip on those unforgiving streets.

White Crocs ballet flats - beach and sea
White leather Ecco trekking sandals - anytime, but great for walking
2 pairs black/cream leather embellished Fitflops - poolside or evening
Black suede knee length Fitflop boots - over loose trousers for travelling or for cool/rainy Kalkan days out of season.
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 01, 2014, 08:32:12 AM
rubber crocs and sweaty feet make a noise like windage :-X.....Get those Flippen Floppen on !! release those little Tootsies!! >:D
Post by: Babs on September 01, 2014, 06:28:59 PM
So what will I take for my holiday in October!
Travel in converse....they will do for any wet/off days!
Flip flops (Monsoon variety) for beach and one blingier pir for evening
A pair of sandals for the evening
A pair of flat silver shoes for evening
Oh and my beach shoes.........and I bet I wear the flip flops 90% of the time!  :laugh:

Crocs make me look like Minnie Mouse as I have skinny ankles! can't get Birkenstocks the right size.......and I have a serious hatred for fit flops......unexplainable I'm afraid!  ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 01, 2014, 08:39:08 PM
I'm not a fan of the croc shoes....they are distinctly unflattering but the flip flops are great for the beach
http://www.crocs.co.uk/womens-flip-flops-sandals/women-footwear-flipflopsSandals,en_GB,sc.html
Post by: Babs on September 01, 2014, 09:47:24 PM
Yes, croc flip flops are quite nice....but Monsoon are cheaper for the beach!  :laugh:
I think my problem is more to do with the shape and size of my feet.....it the rest of me was in proportion with my feet and ankles I'd be a delicate petite little dot! Sadly I'm not!  ;D
We are slightly off topic now????
Post by: joycie on September 02, 2014, 01:34:53 PM
The holiday starts here. Birmingham airport that is. Flights Dalaman delayed an hour and I'm in fidget mode as my dear husband would say. Have worked out which is the nearest loo after trying both. Changed my shoes because my toe has rubbed red raw in my first choice.Checked every departure board in case my phone app is wrong but no departure gate opens in two hours so it must be so. What now? Back to duty free in case I can shove anything else in my bag or sit patiently like my dear other half. What do you think?
Post by: joycie on September 02, 2014, 01:35:11 PM
The holiday starts here. Birmingham airport that is. Flights Dalaman delayed an hour and I'm in fidget mode as my dear husband would say. Have worked out which is the nearest loo after trying both. Changed my shoes because my toe has rubbed red raw in my first choice.Checked every departure board in case my phone app is wrong but no departure gate opens in two hours so it must be so. What now? Back to duty free in case I can shove anything else in my bag or sit patiently like my dear other half. What do you think?
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 02, 2014, 01:55:46 PM
look on the bright side joycie....You now what awaits you when you get to Kalkan!!..A wonderful time I'm sure..best wishes to Bri...(and hope the Blues can turn things around! KRO) ;)
Post by: joycie on September 02, 2014, 02:21:04 PM
Thanks I'm sure we'll have a great time . Just cheered myself up reading an article in the Mirror got it wrapped in the Daily mail so I look intellectual. It says that  most heart attack victims have another usually within four years. I'll kill him if he has one this time.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 02, 2014, 03:09:12 PM
 Have a fabulous time..........definetly no heart attacks,this time Brian !! So envious. have a very safe trip and fantastic holiday....Enjoy !

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 02, 2014, 03:16:04 PM
Have a fabulous holiday you two.  Hopefully your flight will be taking off soon if not already.  Safe journey, and paradise awaits you both.  Look forward to hearing all about it.

Jayne
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 02, 2014, 07:33:05 PM
Have a fabulous holiday joycie, hopefully you and Bri will be well on your way to Kalkan by now.
I'm sure Bri will behave himself this year  :)
Look forward to hearing all about your holiday.
Post by: Babs on September 02, 2014, 10:18:59 PM
Have a great time joycie and Bri!
Post by: joycie on September 03, 2014, 09:40:45 AM
We'll the old Kalkan magic is under my skin (note to myself) must write a song about it when I get time. Apparently fog in Gibraltar meant our plane had to take a detour to Malaga to refuel before it could come back to Brum for us. Amazing what you hear when you're earwig going in the departure lounge. A great flight though pilot must have got his wings very few bumps lovely meal of sausage and mash, no it probably wouldn't have been my first choice but actually it was delicious. Got to Dalaman about 10.10 Turkish time and the lovely Enes were there waiting to transport us to wonderland. I must say I love a roller coaster ride when I'm on my holidays but didn't quite expect one that early.  My bottle of water was gripped very tightly but actually although my hands were tightly fastened to Bris we got there in good time and safely. Martyn from Kalkan secrets was awaiting our arrival and although we had stayed in the lovely Daybreak before there were a couple of minor changes for the better of course and after Martyn bid us farewell we unpacked and went to bed.
Woke up at 6.30 English time and as Bri has an injection to do thought he'd better get on Turkish time and start his regime from there.
Another first for us we went out to breakfast. I normally love cooking here bring bacon to start us off in the case lovely fresh bread from Yali and wonderful eggs and fresh tomato normally eaten under the umbrella on the balcony. Not today I I feel too ashamed to admit it oh alright I will we had English breakfast at Merkez. It was B lovely. I even had an English breakfast tea with it. Bri did at least have a Turkish tea. We then wondered down to the harbour to watch the boats go out with a cappuccino at Feners.
We have a narrow boat ourselves and it fascinates me how Poseidon turns itself round in that little harbour along with seemingly hundreds of others. We'd have to do a 27point turn in ours before we even faced the right way.
Stroll back up the hill to the Nur apartments past the green grocers where we bought two nectarines lettuce 4 tomatoes and a cucumber. 9 lire so plough mans lunch it is.
Bri has just come off the balcony and said as you do What's she dissecting over there.? So I'll leave you now and go and find out I 'll let you know later.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 03, 2014, 10:13:00 AM
Hi Joycie,

So pleased that you and Bri arrived safely.Like you,we usually have breakfast at home.Usually scrambled eggs on toast or beans on toast with cheese or pancakes and a cup of tea (has to be pg tea bags,from uk )......we know how to live !!!

It sounds a delightful change to pop to Merkez for brekkie and down to Fener.

Cant wait to hear what was being dissected........could be gruesome !!

HOL.LETTINGS....http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 03, 2014, 12:32:47 PM
Yep! glad you got there safe and sound..we have had some white knuckle rides from and too Dalaman in the past! I expect most have :o :o
Delays?? I always blame the French whether it's our croissant chomping neighbours or not!! ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 03, 2014, 01:01:04 PM
Glad you are now in Kalkan, joycie and look forward to hearing about your - incident free hopefully - holiday
Might be an idea to start your own blog in holiday reports rather than to tag on to Lizilu's. That way we know where to look for your updates :)
Title: Joyce's adventure is in Wonderland
Post by: joycie on September 03, 2014, 01:34:20 PM
Bit too simple for me having my own blog but I'll give it a try.
Post by: joycie on September 03, 2014, 01:36:48 PM
See I can't even get the title right I blame it on the Efes from Cafe Ev. I'll try again tomorrow.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2014, 02:17:57 PM
Joycie. I think you just replied on Lizzilu20's blog and changed the subject in your reply.
What you need to do is create your own holiday report blog by first clicking HERE (http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?board=12.0) and then clicking on 'New Topic'.
B
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 03, 2014, 02:33:43 PM
Glad you arrived safely Joycie  :)

Sounds like you're settling in nicely and don't worry about joining my blog. I'm more than happy to share if you don't manage to sort it out  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2014, 05:25:47 PM
Yes, so glad you are there safe and sound, and so lovely reading your post, and am looking forward to reading more Joycie.  :D Amazing isn't it, how much you can buy in the greengrocers for so little TL, and such lovely produce too. 

J
Post by: Kalkan regular on September 03, 2014, 06:45:16 PM
Joycie the bread shop under the veg shop has fabulous bread and cakes as well as being a café. The bread will freeze beautifully so there is ne need to send Bri out each morning.
Title: Joyce's Adventures in wonderland.
Post by: joycie on September 04, 2014, 05:35:56 AM
So I went off to find my glasses because the dissector wasn't quite in my range but as usual they had got a life of their own , usually on the top of my head but not today and by the time I had found them Mr dissector had finished and I was none the wiser.
So next project was an Efes run. We're quite close to Yali and Migros so decided a walk uphill might not be a bad thing and off we went. My oh my took us straight into the path of Cafe Ev which I nearly didn't recognize because it's garden and wonky chairs have disappeared
Title: Joyce's Adventures in wonderland.
Post by: joycie on September 04, 2014, 06:03:13 AM
So I went off to find my glasses because the dissector wasn't quite in my range but as usual they had got a life of their own , usually on the top of my head but not today and by the time I had found them Mr dissector had finished and I was none the wiser.
So next project was an Efes run. We're quite close to Yali and Migros so decided a walk uphill might not be a bad thing and off we went. My oh my took us straight into the path of Cafe Ev which I nearly didn't recognize because it's garden and wonky chairs have disappeared,
When we first came to Kalkan with Tapestry this was the Kalkan Elite and it always looked fab in the brochures. Couldn't afford it and went to the Serra instead. Which by the way was lovely and part of the reason why I adored Kalkan so much.
Anyway one and a half Efes later we made Migros and purchased our Efes. Back to The apartment and a shower and change was accomplished without too much hopping about because of the heat of the water and we meandered out for dinner.
We always went to Yali bar when we first came to Kalkan. Rickety old chairs and tables and a bowl of popcorn which I don't like but always eat so what a shock when we walked down the hill yesterday.Beautiful new rattan chairs and tables and glasses which looked as though they'd had a wash.Anyway the lads were just as nice so we sat and people watched for bit.I must say there seem to be a lot more younger people here this year. Whether it's because we don't normally come till the end of September I don't know but everyone was smiling and enjoying themselves. The other thing I noticed was a lot more men without shirts on. I don't know why maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I hate that. Still live and let live we're not all the same and I'm sure that there are habits of mine which intensely annoy others.
Now whilst I'm trying to do this 7.45 in the morning  talking of annoying habits Bri without his glasses popes up with what are those yellow blocks up the hill? I don't know I despair and I have my glasses on.
Anyway I digress so we couldn't decide where to eat. Last year when we were walking down the steps by Kaptans we met a young Turkish fellow who had just been for a swim and told us he worked at Agora. We went had a lovely meal although we were cold it was in October so we decided to try it again.
We were given the balcony seat which was lovely probably because there was only us there didn't have a starter but we're given two lovely hot rolls with dips Bri had special chicken with mushy peas and I had fish chips and mushy peas. Proper Black Country mushy peas although the menu said it was sole puréed peas and chips. Bri doesn't do sweets but I had creme caramel with ice cream we shared a bottle of cheap red plonk and the bill came to 117l .it was very nice.
So we finished with a gratis apple tea each and puffed back up the hill to our apartment where we sat on the balcony with a duty free brandy and whiskey and looked out on th magical Kalkan.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 04, 2014, 07:54:37 AM
Joycie, thank you so much for posting, really brightened up my day already reading your blog.  I know what you mean about men in no shirts, we noticed quite a bit of that too this year, but each to their own!

Enjoy another day in Paradise today, and look forward to hearing about it tomorrow.

Jayne
Post by: Mayday1 on September 04, 2014, 07:59:19 AM
Hi Joycie,

It sounds like you are both quickly getting into the swing of things.We love Agora as well.Our guests ( first time to Kalkan ) arrived late on Monday and texted us on Tuesday saying that they had already fallen in love with Kalkan.......and have reserved the dates already for next year.

They emailed yesterday to say they were going to Agora,and said "not that we want to make you jealous "........as they know we like it as we had recommended it was a restaurant to try.

They also asked if we knew of a restaurant that did take away Indian or Chinese ! Of course I suggested Asian Garry........I mean Asian gate ! Lovely to eat in and I presume they do take away ?

I am disappointed that we don't know what was being dissected.....I was imagining all sorts of gruesome thoughts !!

Have a great day !

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Post by: Blue Lizard on September 04, 2014, 08:19:41 AM
 Thanks for taking time to post joycie.I need to know what the yellow blocks are!!.......you have left me in suspenders :angel:
Post by: Christina on September 04, 2014, 11:12:35 AM
Lovely reports Joycie - it sounds as if you have soon got into your stride. Whilst shirtless men are one thing, in July I was somewhat taken aback to see three young ladies wearing nothing but tiny bikinis, flip flops and full make up walking across the main roundabout and making their way into town.  :o
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 04, 2014, 12:38:36 PM
Sounds fab joycie. We didn't get chance to visit Agora this time unfortunately. Definitely must go next year. I too am curious about the gory dissector and the yellow blocks. Keep your eyes peeled joycie and don't tease us with snippets of mysterious shenanigans!  ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal