Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: My First Visit to Kalkan  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Ryss

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
My First Visit to Kalkan
« on: May 18, 2012, 04:01:57 AM »
I've just got back from my first visit to Kalkan and Istanbul and right now, 'WOW' best describes it all!

Now I know what everyone raves about on this forum - Kalkan is amazingly and stunningly beautiful. I was initially daunted by how steep the streets and seemingly everywhere was, but then got used to it, and now, in retrospect, it seems normal. Good thing I paid attention to this forum and took my sneakers (which were worn everwhere from dinner to Xanthos) - had nary a footache or a blister!

Started many a days at Foto's pizza with their lovely lentil soup and then meandered down to Merkez's cafe for that orange - pom juice. If you havent  tried it yet, be sure to, that stuff is awesome, and Sawash (not sure about the spelling) is such a lovely fella. We had to report everyday to him what we got up to.

Did 2 tours with Volume Travel (office is right next to Kalamaki restaurant) to Xanthos, the gorge and Patara beach and then another day trip to Kekova. I consider that to be my best experience in Kalkan and in Turkey - the coast is breathtaking and I found it to be supremely relaxing. Hamdi the owner/manager is great to work along with and they ensure that you have a memorable trip. They were punctual for both trips (9am) and also for our airport drop off.

I'm wondering how you guys decide where to eat?! There's so much and I'd have loved to try them all - the service everywhere was impeccable! Here's what I though of the places we visited:

Akin - awesome view, Ekram and the guys there are great and are so enthusiastic, and the food was okay.

The Nar - undoubtedly one of the best views of the town from their terrace. The food was excellent - they were recommended for the steak which was right on. I'd recommend them for the fried ice cream tho :D - loved it. Excellent all around and would highly recommend them. Yetkin is lovely and the guys downstairs are a great bunch.

Escudo Restaurant - another excellent choice! We were there for the opening night which makes it even more special for me. The view from their terrace is superb - that with their excellent food and elegant decor makes it a perfect place to celebrate a special occasion, or well, just anyday or time! Service is again excellent and Ishmael and his team have been thoughtful and really paid attention to the little details that distinguishes one place from another (you'll know from the bathrooms). You really must visit here!

Authentic cafe and Restaurant - another great find that we randomly stopped by. Great snacks that kept us going and the guys even let me use their computer to get pics off my camera.

Went by the Fish terrace which was also good - loved their pasta. In fact, there's not a single thing about Kalkan that I dont love. Kalkan is amazing (oh wait, I said that already!) and the people make it even more special. Everyone wanted to know how 2 Americans and a South American found Kalkan, as they are more used to seeing British tourists (yes, they were quite loyal and let us know that we were in 'Englishtown'! :)  )

Istanbul was exciting and quite diverse, but we were charmed by Kalkan, and I cant wait to return! Teshukur erdem :)

Ps sorry about the length of this report

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9472.0

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
Re: My First Visit to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:45:20 AM »
Great report,hope to see you in Kalkan again soon!!

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:57:07 AM »
Did I get the impression that you loved Kalkan?  Exactly how we felt on our first visit and we will be back again for the  9th time in June!!!
 We used to go to Icmeler and a couple of times to Olu Deniz but neither compares to Kalkan.

BarbH

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:26:19 AM »
Lovely report Ryss and so glad that you enjoyed Kalkan. You've definitely been bitten by the bug!! If you join the forum before you go to Kalkan, I guess that Kalkan has a lot to live up to and your expectations will be high seeing as we enthuse about the place so much. I'm really happy that you enjoyed your holiday and I suspect that your first visut will not be your last.  ;) :)

Offline Ryss

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
Thanks guys! Yes,  I was bitten by the Kalkan bug and am in love with the place and the people! You guys were definitely all so helpful on here and I got a pretty good sense of what to expect. I am still so thankful I took my trusty sneakers lol.

Cannot wait to plot how to get there again, so till then here will be the next best thing :) I look forward to reading reports so I can imagine myself there again when my routine gets into whirlwind mode  ;D. Thanks guys :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »
Excellent report Ryss!!
Kalkan does have a charm all of it's own doesn't it!
Nicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First visit to Kalkan

Started by DB on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 07:16:03 PM
by DB
xx
1st visit to Kalkan

Started by Theshooters on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 11:51:51 PM
by foreverkalkan
xx
When did you first visit Kalkan?

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

52 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 12:56:47 PM
by alshepuk
xx
1st Visit to Kalkan

Started by cbrierley2 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 12:26:25 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal