Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Pompey's Have Landed  (Read 10221 times)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The Pompey's Have Landed
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »
Another excellent report Albie!! We also love our days out with Osman and Zeynap, she does a fabulous lunch doesn't she!!
Nicky

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 06:23:17 AM »
Episode 5: Indiana Pompey and Lost in the Necropolis.
Our plans were to spend the day in Kas, we set off down the D400 and made a mental note of where Adam's Place was on the way out of town. The road reminded me of a Bond film or The Italian Job, hugging the coastline with loads of double bends. I'd hate to drive it at night. Anyway we got to Kas and parked up just past the harbour and went walkabout. Well I hope there isn't an EnjoyKas forum because I doubt it would have many members. We thought it was awful, didn't have the ambience that Kalkan has, looked dark and dingy, the people weren't as welcoming. We went in to a shop to look at some genuine fake watches and the person in the shop never even spoke to us. The only activity we as we're what must have been the Kas backgammon championships as about 6 games were going on. We did our best News of the World impression and left within half an hour of arriving. Didn't like the place at all.
On the way back we stopped off at Adam's Place for a drink and made a reservation for tonight. Without asking Adam offered to pick us up, score 1mark already. Instead of coming back and lazing by the pool I suggested we bring Wednesday's plans forward so we went off to Xanthos. As she usually does Mrs P seats herself under a tree while I go off exploring the theatre side of the road. I love going to the back row and listening to see if I can hear what other people are saying in the stage area. After me going in search of some Hellistic coin or bit of pottery that they haven't dug up we moved across to the other side. Sat under yet another tree I left her alone while I went of exploring and taking more photos of tombs. Unfortunately, once I had reached the flag at the top I couldn't find the path down so had to improvise across country. It was only when I got back that I realised I'd been gone over an hour and she was worried that I was lost or hurt :o
We moved off to Patara but I thought I'd better not go on any more expeditions so we settled for a snack and drink on the beach.
Right now to tonights dining experience. Adam picked us up outside the Yali as agreed and drove us out to his Place, there were only 4 people there, he offered us a table on the terrace but said his daughter had also set us a table inside if it got too cold. We stayed outside for pre drinks but it was chilly so we moved inside. I had the mixed meze  which was larger than some ain't courses I 've had in the past, Janet had Sauted mushrooms minus the garlic which was also quite large but she ate all of it. For her main she had a chicken dish which came on its own hob, fizzing and bubbling away. I went for the lamb shank, which I'd read about on here, but nobody told me it arrives as a burning mass of flames  :o. It was delicious, just fell off the bone and melted in your mouth. We were determined to have a sweet as we had not had one all week so I had Turkish dessert with ice cream while Mrs P had rice pudding. She was surprised that it was cold but did not taste like rice pudding as you know it but was nice. Mine was had to describe, 3 brown sweet "dollops" which had probably honey and nuts in served with that rubbery Ice cream which seems the norm, not a criticism I love it. When we're finished we had a mint tea which was refreshing and as we were the last customers the family decided to come with us back to Kalkan. Now I don't know how he did it as we never told him where we were staying but Adam dropped us at our door.
When I put the question as to where Adam's Place comes in the Pompey Rankings mrs Fussy proclaimed that Mussaka's starter was better but Adam's main was better so slotted in at #2. I tended to agree, Mussakka is more an up market restaurant where as Adam's Place I see as a restaurant you would find in a village up in the mountains. We loved it.
Because of its location it doesn't get passing trade so relies on word of mouth, so if you want a nice meal in friendly surroundings and not  feel you are just a customer pick up the phone and book a table you won't regret it. Wish we had gone earlier in the week as I would happily go back again, the Black & White Steak fascinates me and would love to try it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:25:22 AM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 09:04:56 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed Adam's.  We are really looking forward to going again either this week or next week.  We guessed it would be a little chilly up there in the evening so we are going to give it a few more days to see if it heats up a little more.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »
Yes it in our Top 3 list as well! and we will definitely be going back in August. 

Jayne

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
Yes it's on the list!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
How interesting.....your description of Kas is similar to ours....we've been back a few times convinced that we must have missed something....but no, we just don't 'feel' it there. One year we stopped at a beach club for lunch, had a very indifferent salad and felt quite smug about the wonderful beach clubs in Kalkan. If there are any Kas lovers out there please tell me which bit we should be going to as I know its described as upmarket and cosmopolitan......mmmm.....maybe we have just missed that part! :-\

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »
No, we're not Kas fans either - there doesn't seem to be a heart to the place. We know lots of people who love it  ???
Its the gateway to other destinations like Kekova or Meis but that's about it for us. I'm not that impressed with the shops or the market and everythings priced in Euros and I can't get my head around it because I'm in TL/£ mode.
I like the journey more than the destination :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »
I don't want to go off thread too much here but am interested to hear other people's reaction to Kas.   I admit I have only ever been there on business - the kind of legal matters that have to be dealt with in Kas.   Plus once looking at tile shops.

I only really saw the centre of Kas and couldn't wait to leave and get back to Kalkan, with the lovely scenery on the way.   I know some people really love Kas and it would be good to hear of where we should head to next time we visit (if we ever do!) to get a proper impression of the place.   There must be some lovely parts.  Recommendations welcomed.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Sorry about the delay in writing up the latest encounters but wifi wouldn't connect. Anyway as you may have read in the other thread after the refreshing rain stopped we wandered into town to do our gift shopping, genuine fake Rolex's for my sons, some odds and ends souvenirs and ultimately into the place we have visited most all week, MisSilver. Mrs P has had her eye on a bracelet all week so I decided that she could have it as her anniversary present, finally the gold period is over. I have to say the owners aren't pushy and have been very patient whith her "shall I, Shan't  I?" they even asked out advice on how they should lay the shop out and publicise it. Ozy & his brother now treat us as friends.
We went for lunch down at the Lighthouse, I had the chicken sandwich while my wife had a cheese toasty, both were very nice indeed. The funniest bit was when a ginger cat, Garfield, just climbed up on her lap and snuggled up for a snooze.
The afternoon was just a siesta and a swim/ laze by the pool which was quite warm after the sun has been on it all day. For dinner we had made no plans whatsoever but as I fancied fish we decided on Korsan Fish Terrace, what a lovely view but boy was it chilly up there last night. For my starter I had the fish stew which I must say was very delicious, with plenty of pieces of fish in it,Janet decided not to have a starter. For our main course Janet went for her favourite fish Lemon Sole which came in a light batter with chips and that northern favourite mushy peas, I finally decide upon Paella after much deliberation. The Lemon Sole was about twice the size you'd get at home and was very well cooked, I have to say I was disappointed with mine, I can't put my finger on it but I just wasn't impressed.
When we discussed where it would sit in our league table it came in at 4/5.
If the wifi is up tonight I will do today's story if not it will have to wait until we get home and hopefully I will still remember what we did. I have to say Kalkan has shot to the top of our Turkish destinations, and can see why everyone is so complimentary about it.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »
.Abie, hope your return to Pompey goes well, make sure you have some warm clothes on though, not too good around the south coast lately. Enjoyed your reports. We will definitely have to try some of the places you visited.

HAS...I felt the same, went there a few years ago and all we had was a  snack in a cafe on the front, nothing much else to do until we  got the bus back. We then then went again 3 years again hoping it had changed but no, still the same, we walked down to the front and walked back again and got  the bus back. The bus rde however makes up for it with the lovely views,

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
We had a lovely day in Kas this week. Made very welcome by most of the shop owners and found the prices to be a lot less than in Kalkan. Bought a large Turkish lamp which was wrapped and shipped to our home within one hour of buying it and for a lot less than ever quoted before. Also got lots of pashminas and turkish bowls etc. Had a fabulous pide lunch in the heart of Kas where there were a lot of locals eating. Also love the little cobbled street with the hidden garden and jazz bar. This is the first time we have had a car here so perhaps started off at a better location than some of you. I sell prefer Kalkan but Kas is worth a visit.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
Agree with Suziq,  Kas does have a different feel to Kalkan, but is nice in its own way.  If you walk up through the village there are some lovely old buildings, perhaps even older than some in Kalkan.
The Hideaway Bar is lovely, but hink it might only be open in the evening.  The harbour area is nice for a browse, also some good restaurants on the far side - we always make a couple of visits when in Kalkan, especially on a Friday when the market is on, some interesting local sights to be seen  (i.e. once saw a baby goat in a basket on the front of a motorbike)! followed by at least three people on the back!

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »
Just want to say thank you so much for all yr lovely reports, they have so cheered me up. I am going to miss you ha ha Have a safe journey home

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »
Last report as we go home to the arctic conditions tomorrow :'(
This morning we made the walk down hill to the market, Mrs P is a dab hand at the bartering so I wasn't surprised to see some traders shut up shop as she approached, "65tl? I'll give you 30". She does like her leather sandals so was on a mission to find herself a nice pair at the right price, which of course she did, mind you they cost her 50tl. I love the aroma in there from the specs stalls, so I got some tea to take home amongst other "cheap as chips" bits.
We then ventured down to the harbour or lunch at Fener, I went for a club sandwich , while Mrs P had a cheese & mushroom omelette which both went down very nicely. Back for a siesta and a short read & catch up with the first test match before I went off to Atlantis Wellbeing for the full monty Turkish Bath, face mask & full body oil massage. It was fabulous, I nearly fell asleep I was so relaxed, why have I never done this before?
The venue of the Last Supper I left to the boss to decide and she chose Mussakka. Once again she opted for no starter but as my diet starts next week I went for Lambs liver & onions, we don't have liver at home as she doesn't like it, it was so tasty, the flavour was awesome. For a main course I had set my heart on a steak so went for the steak in plum & red wine sauce, Janet also went for a steak but in a Mussakka sauce with fried onions. When they arrived I was go smacked at the size, it was over 2 inches thick, the best steak I've had since Kissimmee 5 years ago. I'm glad I never had it the second night we were here as everything else would have struggled to compete. Not having a starter meant Janet was ready for a dessert and chose apricots in Filo pastry with ice cream, I went for the baklava. Absolutely scrummy, that's only the second dessert we've had all week. Considering she loves ice cream we've only had one from Fener, maybe it's the texture she didn't like.
Will we come back to Kalkan again? Most definitely, possibly at the end of the season next year.
Thank you all for putting up with my waffling blog and I hope it has helped some of the first timers make decisions on where to go & eat.
Once we get back I'll do a top five scoreboard.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:50:22 PM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
Many thanks for your fabulous log, I can taste that steak from here.. Mussakka is our favorite!  counting the days until we are back.. 65
Interesting you left the Turkish Bath to the end of your holls, also no mention of a shave or haircut (unless I missed it!)
Have a safe trip home and remember..........

Kalkan, no one visits just once....
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »
Up early to pack and it is absolutely chucking it down, we planned to leave around 8 then stop off at Calis Beach for breakfast to break the journey back. Looks like that may change as it will be slow driving in these conditions.
Hobbo, I had my haircut before we left and I did plan to have a shave but never got around to it. I had 2 Turkish Baths, one at the start which was just the bath and a second at the end which was the bath followed by the massage.
Hopefully the cases will not be overweight just 1 passenger, the diet starts next week for definite. To all those coming out this year I wish you all a lovely time which I know you will definitely have. Kalkan is a little gem which hopefully will remain unspoilt.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
Safe trip home Pompeyalbie, many thanks for all your reports.  I'm sure you'll be back!  :)

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
Likewise a safe journey back to the rain here in England. Your blog has been superb and has really got me excited for our trip to Kalkan in August  :)

Justin
Live for today, plan for tomorrow, party tonight!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Safe journey back Albie, have loved your reports!
We love Calis beach and have booked a week in Sep. 2 weeks for us before we're back in Kalkan!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The Geordies have landed

Started by BeeKay on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 11:32:23 AM
by xnipec

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal