Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz  (Read 44612 times)

Offline Eljhem

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2007, 06:53:35 AM »
I thought it was only me who got those horrible blisters. Only got two this year, one in my own back yard in the UK.  The first year I got blisters all over my feet(not a good look) got to know the ladies at the chemist very well that year!  Came armed with all my SSS goodies this year................no mossies!  Hope it''s the same next year. ;D

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2007, 08:20:24 AM »
Certainly the mossies seemed sooooooo much better this year - no need to spray the rooms or use the plug in tabs.  Just a quick spray of legs and ankles only this summer with Avon so soft or Off or Sinkov (I agree with Alfaman - those turkish sprays are so much better than the UK ones!!) but hardly any bites to speak of - same for the rest family - it was shere blliss this year!!! ;D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2007, 08:24:27 AM »
morning felicity........eljhem....the lizard lives by the creek!! i''m sure you know it......people have been eaten alive here this summer ..worse than turkey!!!the wet weather/poor summer has been just what they wanted...i may suggest the council find some purple men!! ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Eljhem

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2007, 06:45:03 PM »
What, our council blue? No chance! Kalkan are more organised than Fareham.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2007, 06:54:20 PM »
i think you are probably right ..seems to be more pests in those offices than anywhere else..... :D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2007, 11:13:34 AM »
the men in purple are no longer about!!!looks like they have stopped spraying for this year..Shakira has just returned and said they wern''t seen and some people were getting bitten ..she was covered in the usual stuff and was o.k....anyone going out soon don''t forget your ....blighter zappers and repellants >:D

Offline Janey28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2007, 05:52:10 PM »
Blue Lizard - I beg to differ.... I left Kalkan on Monday and I saw the purpule men just the day before.....I know coz we saw the smoke and thought the hotel was on fire...of course turns out that it wasnt!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
maybe they weren''t where shakira was!! or she had to much efes!!

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2007, 07:35:26 PM »
Yes have seen them today and the large ''fumigating spray''. My theory is that as villas pools are being left uncleaned there is becoming more of a breeding ground for the mossies....mind u the cooler weather should keep them at bay.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2007, 10:12:42 AM »
Strange as it may seem, we were told by the purple men that these mosquitos breed in the septic tanks, not in open water.  Thus they are putting insecticide either directly into the septic tank or flushing it down a toilet.  It seems to work so they must know what they''re talking about.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Barbara

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »
Hi Itstime - were you staying at the Meldi in 2002 (I think) when "someone" recommended SSS? I remember a lady having a really bad time and I recommended SSS - was that you? If it was I remember you spent a fortune on medical bills!  - Barbara

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
Hi Barbara
No wasn''t me though I do share the experience of the poor woman you met :( Can only reiterate my previous experiences and my personal endorsement of SSS. as stated before I did really suffer but after finding SSS it has been so much better. In October I was bitten on arrival either at Dalaman or on the journey to Kalkan (restrictions on liquids meant I couldn''t have SSS in my hand baggage to apply on the flight before landing  :( ) got bitten on the eye lid and had massive reaction which meant my entire eye was closed and swollen. Applied SSS every evening after and not one bite for the rest of the holiday. I know it works for me but do understand that maybe doesn''t work for everyone.

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2007, 06:12:06 PM »
Hi
I also used SSS this year and found it helped. However I think this is being discontinued so you need to stock up now!

Offline bowbad

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2008, 05:28:20 PM »
Hi all

Can anyone tell me the current situation with the dreaded mosie’s. In 2006 we could not go out of an evening with out our mossie protection, but last year in June it was great no SSS needed.
We are returning in September should we bring some mossie protection with us?

Thanks for your help, only two weeks to go!

Cheers

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2008, 05:36:16 PM »
I didn''t get bitten once this year when we were in kallan in July. I did spray as always but a couple of our friends never bothered and didn''t get bitten either, have no idea why as usually it''s mozzie central.  I did suffer back in May from bites from the dreaded olive flies.

Maybe those in the know can shed some light?

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »
I think the town spraying has made a big difference. My daughter and I get bitten easily (my daughter had 42 bites on the first night in 2006!) and badly but neither of us had more than the odd bite this year. We did use mossie spray each night though just to make sure we hedged our bets.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »
not one bite this summer...!!  Great! I did use the Avon Skin so soft around my ankles - as much as a moisturiser as a mossie repellent - coz I know the little blighters love ankles  >:D  but didn''t use any plug in tabs and no other sprays - it was lovely!

Well done to the Belediye or whoever for bringing the mossie problem to practically an end..!!   :-*

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2008, 06:09:06 PM »
I think the Mozzie situation has greatly improved but I still drench myself in Sinkov and SSS. But I have to agree with Jane, the olive flies in June drove me nuts. Any recommendations for repellants for these horrid blighters.

Offline JACQUIVIVA

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
We have just returned from Kalkan and the mozzy situation has improved but i still got a few bites even with spray on they just love me, my husband didn,t get any. Beware of the spray machines they use ,they will not think of people passing by when they spray i don''t think it can be good for you to breath in the chemicals does anyone know what they use ?
I''d like to say am glad to be back but am not, i''d put up with mozzies if it meant i could stay longer  :(

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
I read somewhere that taking Vitamin B1 could help, so as my hubby got bitten quite regularly in June, both from Olive flies and the mozzies, he started taking a tablet a day a few weeks ago. We also have mozzies here in the UK and after 2 days while doing some gardening. he got bitten. However, the reaction was much less than previously and since then he hasn''t been bitten at all. It seems to be working for him and hopefully he won''t suffer as much in Kalkan.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The dreaded Virus

Started by Griffo63 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 08:40:16 PM
by Griffo63
xx
Those dreaded mosqitos

Started by tonik on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 01:23:20 PM
by Blue Lizard
recycled
The dreaded mozzies

Started by RachelS on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 10:03:00 PM
by kalkanbelle
xx
Mosquitos!!!

Started by Mustafa Raki on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 10:58:52 AM
by Em1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Views of Kalkan

Views: 3202
By: tramline
Trio Meet 08