Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz  (Read 44491 times)

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2007, 04:04:26 PM »
Loretta

Don''t know if this''ll work but I''m going to try Tea Tree Shampoo & conditioner next time, it''s supposed to work for headlice or so the girl in Boots said. (Not that I''ve got nits, just overheard a conversation)
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »
They seem to come out first thing in a morning and early evening. We noticed that as soon they started watering the gardens at 5:30-6:00pm, clouds of them came off the plants. We usually beat a hasty retreat at that time. There was a young couple staying and they always came down to the pool at that time every day and the girl was very badly bitten. So much so that her glands became swollen and she started suffering headaches. I gave her a packet of 1 a day anti-histamines and within a day of taking them and keeping her head covered, she was a lot better. The only solution we could find was keeping your head covered and keep away from greenery, but I still got bites on my legs and arms.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »
Hi littlelin and JoanH. I will give the tea tree shampoo a go and buy an enjoy kalkan cap! We noticed that they seem to come out as the sun was starting to go down. Horrible little blighters.
I have invested in the Avon skin so soft for the mozzies so hopefuly no mozzie or olive fly bites in September!
Lorretta.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2007, 04:41:30 PM »
My OH got bitten a lot by the olive flys in May - I was on the one-a-day anti-histamines & got a few bites but no reaction. 
We were told (by a Turk) that the olive flys are only a nuisance when the olive trees are dispersinf their pollen - so hopefully they won''t be around in 19 days time.

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2007, 05:03:35 PM »
Loretta,

My partner also gets eaten alive by the Olive flies every June, they seem to swarm around his head. Unfortuntely nothing seems to stop them. Just stay away from Olive trees and greenery in general, the rocky beach clubs suit us best and adopt a hat of some kind as they tend to go for the head. The one consolation is that they are only there during May/June, something to do with pollenation I think.

When we return in September it is never an issue, just the mossies to contend with, which were fewer this year than previous. I''m a fan of Avon Skin so soft, only had two bites in a fortnight in June!!

Anyway just over two weeks to go, can''t wait ;D

Jo

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2007, 05:19:43 PM »
Cider vinegar taken in water is supposed to keep them away too (I have a book on uses for vinegar).

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2007, 08:06:20 PM »
Wendy, I think I should let you have my avatar and then we can call you "Vinegar Vera". LoL.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2007, 08:26:50 PM »
Wendy, here''s another purported use for vinegar.  To stop your dog''s paws from itching.  I tried 3 flavors, grape, apple and balsamic. The only problem was ... contrary to the guarantee that I was given together with the suggestion, it didn''t work!  She licked off the vinegar and continued chewing her paw.  Now she wears booties.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your response. I hope what you say is true and they won''t be about late September but I am still taking the tea tree shampoo and a cap (just in case!)
Lorretta.

Offline Pebble

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »
We were in Kalkan in late May and were driven crazy by the olive flies for a couple of days. Then we sprayed the towel on our sun bed with household fly spray 2 or three times during the day and they dissappeared.  The only problem was it wasn''t pleasant lying face down because of the smell of the spray but this was a small price to pay.

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »
Cossetta, re your dogs paws, my dog has been licking an itchy paw and I put some stuff called ''stop it all''
on, it''s worked. this stuff is all herbal and natural and is good for all sorts. Have a look at the web site, http://www.karenruggles.co.uk/  :)

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2007, 11:03:07 AM »
Re the mozzie thing; I dont see any other guys having contributed on this particular string but like everybody else do suffer from time to time.  I''ve been in the avonshop.co.uk website and have put those words into their search and it doesn''t want to play.  If anybody has the idiots guide to bringing the right section up I''d be much obliged.  I did find a Green and Blue bottle by the way but it was 7 quid a time so didn''t really think I was on the right track.  Thanks   Bill

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2007, 12:25:59 PM »
Bill,  Go into the Avonshop and on the left hand side use the ''shop by product line'' and select Skin So Soft range.  You are looking for the green and blue bottle (fresh) - it''s all there.....the body lotion, shower gel and body spray.  About £3 each or the offer is 2 for £4. I used it and it seemed to really work, having said that I don''t think mozzies were a problem in Kalkan this year as the Council have been extremely good in spraying on a regular basis from the beginning of the season. 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
we took skin so soft this year but as said the mozzies were no where near as bad this year,private contractors now have the job of blasting them...not only have they got nice purple uniforms but a 4x4 with a "launcher" on the back for mass destruction and detachable ones similar to leaf blowers that enable them to go where no man has been!!!either way it seems to be vastly improved.....oh has skin so soft for next time just in case purple men are no longer around ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2007, 05:42:34 PM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation Charlie and Blue Lizard; you''re right though, with the spraying the situation has definitely improved lately. Just the olive flies which appear to be creating their own problems lately. Who knows, maybe this Avon stuff will sort them out too. Thanks again for your help.

Bill

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
Whatever is biting you Yelkenite, it''s not olive flies. They have a very limited life span, and die off completely before the end of June. They only appear when the olive trees have blossom, which is at the beginning of the season.
 Lantan

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2007, 08:58:44 PM »
Hehe blue lizard - the men in purple really reminded me of ''ghostbusters''...they were amazing - lifting drains in the road - getting this HUGE tube thing out - poking that down said hole and then their massive hand held launcher....amazing..I hope the men in purple are there next year!!   :o
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline surreylady50

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2007, 03:49:17 PM »
Hi everybody,  just returned last Sunday from two wonderful weeks in Kalkan - first-timers, but definitely not only-timers.  The place is every bit as great as you all said it would be.  However, in spite of the Avon Skin So Soft, I did get bitten in the first few days, then I switched to Autan''s family aftersun with anti-mozzie in it and the problem went away.  Husband applied the Avon stuff, and guys, it''s a unisex smell, he didn''t peel, but didn''t get bitten either - they all just went for me.  Saying all the above, the locals did say there were no where like as many mozzies as usual, but there were these tiny little black insects which gave a nasty nip, mostly during the late afternoon.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
Olive midges!! :o :o :o

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2007, 05:43:27 PM »
Oh no don''t say the Olive flies are still around! Don''t they know they''re supposed to be long gone by now. :o Re the mozzies, maybe there haven''t been so many around this year because it was a very dry winter, plus the regular spraying as well has obviously helped control them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Those dreaded mosqitos

Started by tonik on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 01:23:20 PM
by Blue Lizard
recycled
The dreaded mozzies

Started by RachelS on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 10:03:00 PM
by kalkanbelle
xx
The dreaded Virus

Started by Griffo63 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 08:40:16 PM
by Griffo63
xx
Mosquitos

Started by AlbionFan on General Discussion

24 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 04:25:27 AM
by MartynE

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal