Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The dreaded Virus  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Griffo63

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The dreaded Virus
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:54:38 AM »
I  have read on some reports on here that people get the 'dreaded Virus' so is this common? what is it? whay is the main cause? ???

Cheers

Gordon

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8640.0

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Re: The dreaded Virus
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:34:20 AM »
A lot of people get "Turkish Tummy" from the tap water which has a different mineral content to the UK as well as from the change in diet and climate but this has never affected me.  A lot of people on this forum talked about a widespread virus this year but we got back on Friday and everyone we spoke to out there hadn't been affected at all.

We ate salad every day, took ice in all our drinks and used tap water in our kettle - all things some people will tell you to avoid.  I think some people are just more prone to upset stomachs than others so don't worry as chances are you'll be fine  :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:33:18 AM »
There were 7 of us in Kalkan last week for a week.......................No problems to report, everyone fine  8) ??? 8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 03:18:46 PM »
Have been in Kalkan for the last 10 weeks...no virus problems, just plenty of Efes !

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »
I've been back from Turkey for 10 days & spent 2 weeks somewhere other than Kalkan.  I got a very nasty virus - no vomiting but appalling stomach cramps, not unalike labour pains, & the 'trots'.  OH & I had eaten & drunk exactly the same over the preceding 48 hours & he did not get it. I went to the pharmacy & got something to help clear it up & the pharmacist said it was very common in the hot weather & foreigners were more susceptible as your guts were not used to the local food and bugs.  I've had something similar, many years ago, in Greece & OH suffered from it when working in Bahrain (about 35 years ago!).  One of the small potential hazards of a holiday & not uncommon.

I think if one person posts about their" bug they caught in Kalkan", then others will also & what is a fairly normal thing seems more prevalent than it really is.!

But I hope everyone who had it is now better.  Every cloud has  a silver lining & I lost 4lbs over my hols, which I still haven't put on!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
Just back tonight after ten days in paradise and no sign of virus or bug. Had 3 weeks in July also no problems.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »
I still say a lot of tummy upsets can be caused by drinking beer and laying out in the hot sun which you would not do in the UK

We was out in Kalkan in June/July and no signs of any upsets although there was  a couple of  people wih problems. Had this been a virus then it would have spread all around the hotel.Most of the  hotel  guests ate  out in the town every night as well

I just think some people have weaker stomachs than others and eat and drink a lot more when on holiday that  they normally do at home.

Out there in 2 days, hope my stomach stands up to it!!!!!!.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
All 5 of or party had Turkish Tum when we were there in August...the first time I've had it for about 25 years....but BH and I just back from a 10-day stay and can report no ill effects at all....except the odd hangover ;D ;D
Can I just say though, when we all got it in August our son hadn't touched a drop of alcohol and all all honesty the cramps that accompanied this "thing" were quite unlike anything I've had with excess gin ;)
It can be treated very quickly and effectively by the pharmacy - it didn't spoil our holiday at all.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 07:46:43 PM »
No disrespect to either country - try India and/or Egypt >:D >:D    Kalkan virus is just for starters>:D >:D >:D >:D
( And for all those who have had problems in Turkey, my heart (and other bits) sympathises with them).
Even my Indian/Egyptian friends, domiciled in England,  have probs, visiting their home countries!
As mentioned before on this subject, it is a bit of a lottery, whether or not the "dreaded tum" hits!  Lets face it, the majority of us "Brits" are now immune to traffic pollution, fumes, lack of sunshine and the daily stress of going to work!  Take that away, and one's system cannot cope with rest, relaxation and generally having a good time! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »
Back last night after 10 days, stayed at the Patara Prince (villa) ate out for every meal (apart from b/fast) salads etc no problems at all.
Even used the water to clean my teeth..... >:D
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
Returned from Kalkan two weeks ago. Did what we always do there ate salads and fruit at various places some in Kalkan some elsewhere, ice in all our drinks. Used tap water for teeth cleaning and washing salad and veg even stupidly forgot one night and got up half asleep absolutely parched after the usual quota of spritzers and drank a large glass of tap water without thinking  :o. Luckily but as usual out there I suffered no ill effects in fact seem to suffer with a more unpredictable tummy when I'm at home. Maybe everyone's tolerance to the minerals etc are different just as with everthing else we eat and drink. Had a fantastic time yet again. hope to be back next year  8)

Offline Griffo63

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »
Thanks for putting my mind at rest 8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Corona virus

Started by Lynne T on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2020, 10:37:53 AM
by Sophie@josephines.london
xx
Those dreaded mosqitos

Started by tonik on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 01:23:20 PM
by Blue Lizard
recycled
The dreaded mozzies

Started by RachelS on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 10:03:00 PM
by kalkanbelle
xx
dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

166 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 06:39:29 PM
by Kalkan regular

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Leaving the harbour

Views: 3769
By: cer
Kalkan at Night