Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Sky Sports ruining Kalkan  (Read 19492 times)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Is Sky Sports ruining Kalkan
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »
Just to put the record straight, im a big big football fan, season ticket holder, home and away, euros, pre-season tours, I do it all...........BUT...

Is there now to much sky sports tv in Kalkan ?     Its everywhere now, you can hardly have a beer without one sport or another blaring out from a flat screen tv.   Its getting hard to find a bar in Kalan to have a relaxed beer in watching the world go by without sky.

Lets face it, Moonlight and Utopia are now no more than sports bars.  I used to love going to the Swan to get my fix, now you can watch it while you eat your dinner !

I say its all getting a bit much.     What do you think ?    >:D >:D >:D. OneLoveUnited !

KD.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8655.0
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Is Sky Sports ruining Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
We also thought this, so ended up most days in Cafe Del Mar. Very Chilled

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
Kleo Bar by the beach is well away from screens.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
Kleo Bar by the beach is well away from screens.

LOL no it's not, we watched the Chelsea game there on Sunday :o

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:45:36 PM »
Kleo also shows football, Alfaman, but you can avoid it somewhat if you sit by the beach side.

I can take or leave football but my boyfriend likes to watch a Liverpool match or two (or three this year!) while away.  It doesn't really bother me, wouldn't want it on while I was eating though!  A lot of the Turks like watching the Premier League/Champions League matches too and at least the bars in Kalkan also show Turkish games, unlike other places I've been in Turkey where it's purely the UK games shown in bars.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
I'm not a football fan at all, but I have no objection to other people watching it, as long as I can hear myself think and enjoy a conversation during my meal.  I do think there should be a choice though.  :-\ 

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »
Hi all - whereabouts is Cafe Del Mar please? - sounds my sort of place!  Hubby can always watch the rugby at Kleo and I can read a book at the Cafe! - thanks

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:32:11 PM »
Cafe del Mar, also our favourite chill-out zone.  If you are walking along the road from the taxi rank past Moonlight bar, keep going until the last hill down on the right (Gourmet Restaurant on your left).  Cafe del Mar is almost at the bottom on the left hand side and only a couple of minutes walk to Kleo.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »
Personally I don't like to see screens around but I know some people like to watch while away, just wish they were tucked away though and not like at Moonlight. Each to their own though.....I'm one of those strange people who loves not even having a television where I'm staying when I'm away! :angel:

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »
That massive Sky banner on the place next to the Moonlight is a complete eyesore just screams out chavsville  ;) ;) Then you are confronted by massive flatscreen TV's as you walk on into town...... :-[ :-[

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:21:13 PM »
that's what I wanted to say Misty! I have no objection to televisions etc inside bars but on the streets? Kalkan is so beautiful that it really shouldn't be allowed......don't they have conservation areas in Turkey?

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 06:39:16 AM »
Thanks for the directions Alisonh - on reflection think we may have been there last year - just forgotten, hope to go again late October, so will pop in at some point.

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
I agree: Kalkan in the evening is being ruined by football, especially Moonlight Bar. It's so unfair that I should be forced to watch others' taste in television (or, indeed, television at all) when all I want is a drink and to listen to good music. I don't force everyone to watch my taste in entertainment - why should I have to suffer theirs!
It's just so arrogant to assume everyone loves football........

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
I also love my footy and usually watch at a bar where the screen is not on the street and where the sound is usually turned right down when there are people dining but turned up when most there are there for the game.  Many of the bars have been showing rugby, tennis, cricket this year as well as the X Factor last autumn, so let's not just dump on the footy fans!  The football season and the tourist season in Kalkan only overlap by about 6 weeks.

Outside TVs are perhaps annoying, as are bars turning up their music too loud, so that you find yourself listening to a strange mixture of tunes from nearby bars.  After a season like this, lots of bars will have found that their only really good business has been when a crowd comes in to watch a sporting event.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 05:08:49 PM »
I absolutely hate it! Discreet televisions somewhere if you want to watch but huge screens a big NO. I'm with Babs would never watch any television on holiday or buy a British paper!

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
If it helps, I have just been told that top brass at the Belediye agrees about outdoor TVs being a problem.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
excellent, here's hoping something will happen to get rid of them! I've no problem with TVs in bars at all, that way if you don't want to watch you can choose to go elsewhere, but in the street is a different matter......rant over!
Mind you I'll be so happy to be in Kalkan next week that I may not even notice!  :laugh:

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 08:35:26 AM »
Purely from a commercial point of view, are these sa(i)d bars not full when an event is on?
30 degrees and sorry people you will have to sit indoors, and sadly as the buildings we are in are small and we have marketed/environment for pavement cafe's not enough room?
And what if they had a music/MTV channel on?
I walked past the Moonlight and the one next to it on Monday night, both empty, no TV?
Cafe Merkez and other were throbbing!
The real culprit is the time difference being +2 hours, if it was -2 we would not notice!
I do agree that it is spreading, we sat and watched the Rugby on saturday in Yacht Point!
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 09:27:59 AM »
BL - that's spooky - check out tonight's fixtures!  I really hope the bars show Turkey v Germany rather than Montenegro v England.  The atmosphere is indeed fantastic when the Turkish national team is playing and at the end of the season when the fans of the new champions are out on the street celebrating.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »
Sorry Nick..i wiped my post by accident..i have a new computer and it's a bit like picking your nose with a boxing glove ;D ..but you are right,the atmosphere on turkish football nights is great...cars rammed with people,horns honking and flags waving..(it's on youtube under kalkan)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sports bar.

Started by jadou84 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:56:01 PM
by anoife
xx
Bars with Sky Sports

Started by iashy on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 07:07:08 PM
by itstime
xx
man utd v liverpool sky sports

Started by wizpeep on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 07:47:24 PM
by baclava
xx
Cost of water sports and activities

Started by pixie on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 10:47:30 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

My LaVanta Balcony

Views: 2626
By: tilly
EK 70s Night