Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Sky Sports ruining Kalkan  (Read 19493 times)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Is Sky Sports ruining Kalkan
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
I agree with MSR.  It has become quite unpleasant to walk through town and be hit with loud noise and hugh TV screens.  This can only drag down Kalkan's (ex?) reputation for romantic places and quaintness.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
On our last visit in September, unless you sat on the hill, the music was too loud from inside the Moonlight Bar. We ended up going  to other bars so we could here ourselves talk.

Oh my god, I sound like my mother!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »
I think the volume of music in restaurants is generally more obtrusive than sports on TV.  We were sat in Nar last week and could hear loud live music from Gironda, Nar's own music and music from at least one other restaurant, all at the same time.  I don't know why they try to compete with each other - they should just turn their own music off if there is a loud band on nearby.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 02:56:02 PM »
These large tele's do attract customers, especially when there is a popular match on. And as my pal comes with us to Kalkan, he needs his football fix, and it would be hard to deny anyone that pleasure. We usually leave him at the moonlight and go and try to find a restaurant that is quiet away from the cheers and meet up later. But I do agree that they are starting to appear everywhere and it is getting harder to hide from them. When I was trying to enjoy a gin and tonic this year sat on our terrace reading a great book the newly opened Cafe EV sprang into life with a running commentary from the football pundits and then a match. I did have to move away as it was totally distracting and of no interest to me. Having them outside or so loud that you can't escape them, does impinge on others space. Bit like making others swollen their fag smoke of the past. Some may think its not important, but to us it will make us consider whether we want to put up with the noise another year. Our tele's are always on at home and its amazing to think that I never put the one on in the villa. PS> Perhaps the mayor will start to issue licences to have a large screen tele on only in specific palces.........how about the Saklikent Gorge.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »
The noise of drunken folk packed into a confined space shoulder to shoulder with strangers, cheering and shouting and jumping up and down for no apparent reason - this could describe the atmosphere at some popular Kalkan bars, whether the TVs are on or not!  As I said before, the mishmash of music is far more annoying to me than the footy or anything else shown on the outside screens, but some people will go to a bar because its showing an event or because they like their music.  I don't want Kalkan to turn into Blackpool but neither do I want it to become the Turkish Eastbourne!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:43:23 PM by Enişte »

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
There is a poll running on this subject on KTLN   www.turkishlocalnews.com   Looking like most think TV ok as long as its inside. I think thats fair.   8) 8) 8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »
Have to agree about music at times being more annoying than TV. Did notice last week that there seemed to be less loud music than on previous visits so maybe the bars are catching on that not everyone wants to hear loud booming music.
As for the TV's, they don't really bother me at all and to be honest I hardly even notice them. What I don't like are the large banners advertising Live Sky TV as I think they look quite tacky and detract somewhat from the look of the town. If we want to watch tv then we can easily locate where it's being shown without the need for huge advertising banners. The chalkboards outside some places are fine and aren't too intrusive.
I have watched football in Kalkan but would only go out of my way to do so during major events eg Euros or world cup where I have enjoyed many matches in a great atmosphere.
Unfortunately yet to witness any great Scotland triumphs  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:46:35 PM by itstime »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
I  find fireworks more annoying.....they seem to let them off everytime a beers been sold!! surprised the old town hasn't gone up yet with all that wood around and narrow streets...probably the naffest thing ever was a few years ago when they projected an  image onto the mountainside that read "No Name Bar"...that was truly crap. :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
LOL BL last week there was a big wedding in town and the bride and grooms name were projected onto the hillside beautifuly encased in a heart :) I thought it dreadfully romantic that the groom had gone up to the mountain to place lights in the shape of their names ???
OH fell about laughing and informed me that no such romantic gesture had been made and that the lights were merely a projection from somewhere, probably, no name bar ??? Typical male reaction >:(
Boy was I disappointed at first but then decided that it was still a wonderful romantic gesture and I'd pay highly to have my name projected onto the mountains surrounding Kalkan.
Can't quite see it happening though ::)

Offline Ashley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
I'm currently sat in Doy Doy watching the Turkey game!!

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »
I understand the basis of this topic and yes, I do like to watch football when in Kalkan but don't watch all matches.
The problem I see from the comments are as follows:
Lots of people support different teams so supporters of those teams will watch at different times. Internationals are usually played so many people will watch. You then have the followers of other sports, e.g, F1, golf etc, etc, so in theory, you will always get some body wanting to watch something at most times.
The other thing is, if there are cut backs, who decides on who shows what, do 2 bars get everything and the rest nothing? Not too fair to my thoughts...Do they share so each gets a fair crack?
I would say that I draw the line at restaurants tho, that is inconsiderate.
 ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »
Just take the TV's inside, simples  8) ??? 8)

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »
It strikes me that the bars will show games and matches because there is the customer demand to show them. I enjoyed watching the rugby world cup games (with breakfast !).

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »
Great thread this one for debate :)

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »
I absolutely hate it! Discreet televisions somewhere if you want to watch but huge screens a big NO. I'm with Babs would never watch any television on holiday or buy a British paper!
Totally agree, they are an eyesore, they should be inside!  Also does everyone need to be subjected to music blaring out from a bar when passing? 8)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:33:59 PM by AllanChris »
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »
I'm currently sat in Doy Doy watching the Turkey game!!
To be grammatically correct,  you are sitting in Doy Doy. Nobody is ever sat anywhere!  ::)   8)

Offline maria

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
Just take the TV's inside, simples  8) ??? 8)
Hello I think the Moonlight bar,  would be very uncomfortable with every REAL FAN? stuck inside

cup of tea, No Sugar and don' t ask if I would partake a biscuit , old town lover

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »
a couple of weeks ago there was snidery posted about those who watch telly in the place they stay??..... that was wrong in somes eyes!!!....i have booked a place with a telly so i can watch the Euros should i get bored with falling asleep by the pool(don't like reading....only my nuts mag!)...if i'm out i will seek out a big screen so my myopic little beady eyes don't have to watch a small dot in the corner over 50 peoples heads....boiling hot,crammed inside with sweaty people in high season? very pleasant!...businesses wouldn't have them if they didnt think they needed them and whos to say who can and can't have one?...the Yali has had one for many years and is packed on big nights....i look forward to watching England next year..being swept along in a wave of enthuiasm and expectation and hope and convincing myself "yes we can" only to be sent crashing out dismally as normal :-\
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:25:34 AM by blue lizard »

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »
One of the reasons I started this thread was because I was in Tenerife a few weeks ago on a stag do with 30 United fans and 3 Siddy fans  ??? (Massive, ha ha), it was fantastic, we sat, drunk, ( 1.5 euro for a pint ) got drunk, sang songs and watched football all day ( united beat Bolton 5-0  >:D ) all outside in the blazing sun, we could of sat in tons of places / bars, as they all had VERY LARGE TV's outside and packed, they were also (mostly) packed with, you could say, rowdy / loud football fans shouting / cheering at the top of their voices, great fun if that's what you are looking for, not so much if your not  ???

As I have said I love my football as much if not more than the next one, but in Kalkan,  on the street.......I think  (hope) not. There is a time and a place for most things........ and for football on the street I can highly recommened Tenerife......I hope I can never say the same about a little fishing village called.....Kalkan  8) ??? 8)

Once the rot starts..... :'( :'( :'(

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
As I said before, taking it inside is not feasible, too hot and too small.
My brother in law and I watched one of the England one dayers (cricket) all day in Yali's.
We had a great time along with about 10 others.
No one about until later as they stared at 10:30, 12:30 local.
By that time and having consumed eleventeen Effes I did not notice all the people walking by >:D
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sports bar.

Started by jadou84 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:56:01 PM
by anoife
xx
Bars with Sky Sports

Started by iashy on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 07:07:08 PM
by itstime
xx
man utd v liverpool sky sports

Started by wizpeep on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 07:47:24 PM
by baclava
xx
CALLÄ°NG ALL SPORTS FANS TO THE SWAN

Started by Enişte on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

41 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 04:37:20 PM
by misty

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal