Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season 2015...2016  (Read 54303 times)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Out of Season 2015...2016
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
I think they will be doing the usual metal cables with boarding then infilled with concrete then boarding removed and faced with stone, that's why they're digging so deep. It's what they did with the back wall of the 6 new units.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »
I really hope so......we are staying above the Korsan in October and don't want to disappear into the abyss when having breakfast!!  :o

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »
I'm sure you'll be safe from land slide but not so from all the lovely eating places within a 100 yards!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2016, 06:14:20 AM »
Most of us realise it will probably be a quieter year than usual in Kalkan, and many of my English friends with businesses there are poised to open this week to maximise their income for the season. However, some say that some of their Turkish counterparts do not seem to share the same sense of concern, and plan to open much later in the season (Yavas Yavaz), fully expecting the hordes to flood into town and up to their tables as they have always done. I do hope they are right.

I also hope the building site/redeveopment work behind the beach will not impact too negatively on the occupants of the new harbour units who have paid a handsome price to re-establish their businesses this season, and must be keen to open for business soon without noise and mess on their doorsteps.

I am delighted to be travelling over next week, and I will be bringing along family, friends and guests - many of whom will be first time visitors to Kalkan, and who I hope will come to love it like the rest of us. I just hope Kalkan is ready in time. After June my bookings are practically non-existent - compared to back to back bookings all season last year - a trend shared by many other owners I know in KK.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:17:04 AM by Christina »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2016, 07:27:24 AM »
Christina we have spoken & do so quite often to local business owners, they are fully aware of the problems this season may bring & have been since the end of last season, sadly the situation has escalated  over the recent months, they are also fully aware of the airline flight changes, to our knowledge no one is expecting a flood of tourists, they may however have hope. Some are waiting to assess the situation as to whether they open earlier than May which seems sensible.       

The building behind the beach, the phase 2 part of the project may have an impact, at the moment no way could anyone open there, some ofthe units as I mentioned earlier are having to be altered by the new occupiers for various reasons so will take time obviously. The weather is very much on builders side at the moment so it will help the situation.

Kalkan will be ready for you albeit not totally. 

We are certainly looking forward to some of the restaurants opening as residents it's going to be lovely to have more choice & a change.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:20:26 AM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
I think Kalian will surprise lots   by having a good year   and bucking  the trend  of other areas

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »
Let's hope so Brian!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
Just a little more reassurance for those  of you who are still worrying if Kalkan will be 'in working order' for the Easter break etc., lots of activity around & about getting various places ready over the last few days,  cleaning, painting, tables being scrubbed so not too much to worry about really. It is still early for the season to start so some will be leaving it until later.

The weather is warm, infact quite sticky this morning, a bit of cloud. Quite a few visitors here already going by the new or newish faces & summer clothes are the order of the day it seems although its still chilly in the evenings so the cardie will be needed.  We have had some nasty winds also so be prepared. As the clocks change this w/e we are in for llighter evening thank goodness, unless of course the Turkish Government say otherwise.😈

Happy Easter folks.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:21:17 PM by DRBD »

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »
Happy Easter Kalkanites.An Eggcellent (sorry) report as always DRBD.Looking forward to coming in April.

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
I hate to be the prophet of doom brian j p, but if my personal experience is in any way reflected generally, Kalkan is in deep trouble, as am I.  Bookings down 93% on last year (8 days booked for 2015 against 116 in 2015).
Sadly, I have no ideas on improving the situation and any suggestions would be more than welcome.  As it stands, my pension is down the tubes and I fear for the livelihoods of those working in Kalkan.  >:( ??? :(

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2016, 05:34:01 PM »
Chris S you are not alone. From our own experience and from talking to other owners, it is clear that generally, bookings are down between 40% and 90% from last year. We are only experiencing a 40% drop ourselves but most of those bookings were repeat guests, taken before the end of last season. New enquiries have almost completely dried up. For us, although June, August and September bookings are not too bad... May, July and October bookings are looking very sparse indeed.

We know of villa owners who normally let out for 16-20 weeks with no effort.... but this year they are struggling to even fill two or three weeks. It's pretty desperate. The knock-on effect will be huge; pools will still need to be filled and cleaned, and gardens maintained, of course, but cleaners will have much less work than usual and so will the laundries. Restaurants and bars, boat owners, shops, etc, will definitely be competing for fewer customers throughout the summer. I can't see all of them surviving the season to be honest.

There is no way of dressing it up. It is going to be an extremely challenging year for many business owners; I wish there was an easy answer but there isn't. Kalkan will just have to ride it out and hope that the great British press stop their campaign against Turkey soon.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:37:52 PM by MartynE »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2016, 05:47:32 PM »
MartynE you have hit the nail on the head. The press have a lot to answer for in my opinion. Today in the Time (who have always been a huge advocate of Kalkan/turkey) there was an article about where to go for early summer sun......not a mention of turkey. I think it is grossly unfair and really misleading. I've looked at the FCO website and the advice for travelling to Turkey in terms of terrorism etc. is exactly the same as it is for Spain, amongst other countries. Apparently Simon Caulder was on tv yesterday saying her would travel to
Turkey, we need more of that sensible attitude. The sad events of this week have shown that nowhere is safe and by encouraging tourists to "boycott" countries the press are just playing into the terrorists hands. Yes I know that there situation in Turkey is very complicated and there is more than terrorism involved but I so feel for people whose livelihoods depend on the summer season. Fingers crossed that maybe as the season starts things might pick up a bit as there are bound to be some amazing bargains to be had?

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Simon Calder has said he would not hesitate to holiday in Turkey.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2016, 06:45:02 PM »
Simon Calder has said he would not hesitate to holiday in Turkey.

pw

Yes. I heard that as well...however, I fear that the damage is largely already done, at least as far as 2016 is concerned. So many flights to Turkey have now been cancelled that it's looking like a self-fulfilling prophecy by the airlines.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm just trying to be a little optimistic as not booked to go to Kalkan till October! We are just hoping we'll be able to go ahead as planned, my husband is looking forward to spending a rather special birthday there! It seems our fate is in the lap of the gods.......or the flight companies anyway!  :(

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »
As with you MartynE, my last (and only) booking was made in July 2015.  Nothing since!

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »
It's not all doom and gloom.. We have managed to fill 19 weeks so far for 2016 with another 2 weeks awaiting decision, we have a 50/50 mix of returning guests and new guests, with 8 inquires (resulting in 3 bookings) since the start of the year. We have had 1 booking fail because of flight prices (£376 per person without bags from Edinburgh killed the deal..)
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2016, 08:07:02 AM »
I noticed that article too, Babs and the absence of Turkish places but they did do this article in the Sunday Times Travel section a couple of weeks ago. Rounds up some fantastic deals but sits squarely on the fence - even though the article was entitled "It's beautiful, its's welcoming, it's less than half price so should you go to Turkey?

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/travel/Holidays/article1677049.ece
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2016, 12:25:47 PM »
OK Hobbo, what's the secret?  I am on the verge of giving up.

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »
Chris if I knew I'd bottle it...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Villa owners, are you getting many bookings for 2015 season

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

37 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
What's new in Kalkan 2015

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 01:37:58 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
The end of the summer......2015

Started by DRBD on Weather

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 08:46:37 PM
by DRBD
xx
13-20 April 2015

Started by pw on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal