Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season 2015...2016  (Read 54211 times)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Out of Season 2015...2016
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2016, 12:48:16 PM »
Get report, it's so very interesting to hear about Kalkan in the winter months and to hear the news on the developments for the new season.Thank you so much.

The situation and possible impact on visitor numbers, as you said, particularly after the horrible events in Istanbul, is really concerning and will have an effect on tourist coming to Kalkan and Turkey. Hasn't stopped us yet, we're booked for May and September and possibly as it's our 40th wedding anniversary in August we may sneak another week in then.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »
Hi DRBD
thanks for a spot on update...... I read your other one as well,but I am very impressed that you are placing it in the correct " topic " slot.

I wondered if the new glass fronts for the restaurant units  will be quite warm in summer.I would think that most diners would want to be outside in the open air.......but maybe more useful towards the end of the main season,when a little cooler.

I think the incident in Istanbul,and the other previous incidents will have an impact on tourism this year.We are heading toward being fully booked already but it has quietened down and I really hope that everyone will continue to support this amazing place called paradise..........( oopps..I mean kalkan )

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »
Am sure the developers have taken into account the glass etc., be interesting to see things more finished
It was interesting to see some of the businesses opposite the Pirate have had glass fronts installed. Suppose they will all open up in the summer.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
The Windows are so they can keep Wasps as pets like cake shops do :P >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2016, 06:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the update DRBD. I'm not sure I'm liking the sound of the glass fronts? But will just have to wait and see......like many people one of the joys of holidays is eating outdoors and I sort of like being surrounded by my outdoors! Mind you as we are visiting n October this year I may well change my tune!  :laugh:

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »
I believe that like elsewhere the glass will fully open or even be removed during summer and closed if required during winter / very early and late season, much safer than the flammable plastic sheeting the units used to use.
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2016, 06:41:43 PM »
much safer than the flammable plastic sheeting the units used to use.

Given the cause of the rebuilding, this is very pertinent, Hobbo ;)

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
It's such a shame you don't know how to upload some pics DBRD it would be great to see some more recent ones.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »
The Lavanta website gives their take on the new developments LINK.

It states 'Each restaurant will have a defined, shaded dining space on the front side, which it will be possible to close (for shelter) in the winter time'.

A bit more to read at this time of the year anyway for us Kalkan fans!  :laugh:

B

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2016, 09:34:06 PM »
Hi
we got back from Kalkan last week after spending the New Year there. Had a great time although it was so cold, never had it that cold before ! Blue sky's  but a really cold wind, even had to buy more heaters for the apartment.
We had a great new year, did it a little different this year as we went to Salonika it was fabulous the food, the entertainment and the massive log fire which I was sat right next to. We was going to go to the harbour after dinner however it was far to cosy in there move. It was perfect.
I thought Kalkan was very quiet this year though with even less open after the new year celebrations had ended. Its a shame that fener doesn't open, but then maybe they will next year when the work down there is finished.
Did miss sitting down there having a coffee looking out to sea.
We then left Kalkan on the worst day possible for driving, awful thunderstorm the road out was more like a fast flowing river !
managed to get to Dalaman safely though where we then flew to Istanbul and spent 4 wonderful days there taking in all the sights & smells. Such a terrible shame to see yesterdays news after having been in that same place on Tuesday last week. We met some lovely friendly people in Istanbul, and there is just so much to see.

Until April : )

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »
Just noticed that KTLN have done an update and included pictures of the new units with the glass fronts.  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:15:30 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
That was well timed.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2016, 06:28:20 PM »
So glad to hear the glass fronts will open and close......all makes sense now!  :laugh:

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2016, 07:26:20 AM »
The lift sounds a good idea on the harbour (KTLN report) & am sure the developers have thought about it but if it is electrically operated what happens if there is a power cut albeit a short one. Hope there will be a generator  installed to cut in.   

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2016, 07:40:25 AM »
The lift sounds a good idea on the harbour (KTLN report) & am sure the developers have thought about it but if it is electrically operated what happens if there is a power cut albeit a short one. Hope there will be a generator  installed to cut in.
I must admit this was the first thing I thought of when I saw the plans a couple of years back. In addition to a back-up generator there would need to be a person nominated or system installed to respond to a passenger pressing the lift alarm in case the carriage gets stuck. Also, would it only operate between certain hours? It also goes without saying that a certain amount of 'policing' may be necessary to make sure it is not abused or vandalised by idiots - like parts of the gulley walkway or the area behind the beach.

On the whole, I remain open-minded and mostly positive about the new harbour plans - as long as planting is done professionally and ongoing maintenance/policing of public areas is carried out to a high standard. But I remain unconvinced about the planned wooden bathing platforms which extend out into the sea. For me they will detract from the natural unspoiled beauty of Kalkan beach, and I wonder how they would stand up to the devastating winter storms we have seen over recent years?

The workmanship on the new harbour restaurants seems very high, and I am sure that the retractable glass walls and ceilings will make them more versatile, and usable throughout all weathers. I have been onto the new upper terraces which have great energy and fantastic views. I understand the auction for the leases on the units will take place in Kas on 19th January, and we are all waiting with bated breath to see what the outcome is. I know at least two of the previous occupants who will be bidding, and I wish them every success.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2016, 09:10:48 AM »
From our last couple of weeks or so of lovely weather it has now turned to a  really blustery wet day, Friday was glorious, yesterday dreary but then we did have both water & power cut offs for most of the day which didn't help especially as we hadn't heard the apparent message about the electrics, washing machine was full !!!!!! Thankfully for us it returned approx 15.30 but for some they were longer waiting.   Always a worry if there is much in the freezer.
Anyway plenty of rubbish blowing about this morning, saw someone's washing blowing on the line earlier, quite frankly surprised it was still there & not flying over the D400,  must have really strong pegs, certainly not a drying day.
It's a DVD day around the fire.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »
Really bright & sunny morning with a very chilly wind. Yesterday the wind was bitterly cold & last night we had sleet falling. The mountains between Kalkan & Fethiye have a good covering of snow, looked beautiful with the sun shining on them. Some friends who have been to Elmali say lots of snow in that area.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 02:35:55 PM »
For those of you who are concerned/interested in the occupiers of the new units, this is what we were told yesterday by one of the interested parties. The 2nd auction takes place next Tuesday morning when things should be finalised.  The reason it wasn't all sorted out last week is too compliccated to explain & in all honestly  is of no concern to others not involved.  The rents being asked by the Belediye are enormous & then there is the fitting out together with furnishing of the units. Once the auction is over & it is established who has been successful the contracts are signed & there has to be a months waiting period before things can go a head. From the  information given to us our interested party is confident he has got his unit to the extent he is ordering equipment & has closed up where he has been operating.

The units are looking good even though work is still in progress, there are some decent looking steps going up to the terraced areas which has to be a bonus, as we all know not a Turkish speciality, the plastic decking looks very good, there are slopes for pushchair/mobility access, though they do look a bit steep but hey ho an improvement.    The street dogs seem to a prove of the units as they are now finding warm spots in the sun on the decking to have their sleeps during the days.

Saw a digger high on the mountain side the other side of Kalamar, looks like a new road under construction, another scar on the mountains.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2016, 01:26:36 AM »
I hope one of the interested parties is Durali, we are looking forward to having a beer at the new Kleo bar when we are out in April.

Also hope the rents are not too enormous, especially as I had a look at the Owners Direct stats (showing the number of Kalkan views) today and they are over 50% down on this time last year.   

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2016, 07:08:08 AM »
Well what with the government's tax rises for this year you can be certain your Efes will be more expensive this year for starters.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Villa owners, are you getting many bookings for 2015 season

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

37 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
What's new in Kalkan 2015

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 01:37:58 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
The end of the summer......2015

Started by DRBD on Weather

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 08:46:37 PM
by DRBD
xx
13-20 April 2015

Started by pw on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour3

Views: 4223
By: irfan
Sunset