Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season 2015...2016  (Read 54169 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Out of Season 2015...2016
« on: October 27, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
I realise that's it's  not officially 'out of season' but having had a walk around Kalkan today it certainly feels like it. The weather was just lovely, sunny with a bit of cloud, think I did feel a  little fine rain but only for a second or so.  Sat & had a tea down on the beach end in the tea garden, so peaceful there, watched a couple of yachts come & go, a couple in the sea swimming & chatted to a few people we knew just passing the day.

Walked back up through the town but not before looking over to the harbour, some boats already packed waiting for the lift out day, spoke to one of the boats owners, he is still going out by says perhaps the boats will be lifted out around the 6th November, anyway certainly after the election, everything it seems is on hold until then even putting back the clocks, we are now 3hrs ahead of the UK.  That seemed to have caused a bit of a problem for some because obviously all the electronic things changed as normal, some people were late for meetings etc.

Some of the businesses were shut up already, the others just waiting, staff & owners just sitting about waiting for the last sale.  Merkez was quite busy, one or two young families it must be a bit boring for some of the youngsters at the moment.  The old town was certainly very quiet.

The rain showers held off & now the evening is drawing in, sun setting, very pink & sitting looking at the bay there appears to be no ripples on the water, but have noticed how much cooler it gets during the night, getting chilly feet so it may be time to get the thicker bedding out.

The election campaigners seem so much quieter this time just the odd van driving about which as far as we are concerned is good, it can get a bit tiresome, not many banners about, perhaps that will change nearer the week end.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13110.0
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Out of Season 2015...2016
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »
Seems as if things are getting a lot quieter, I always thought half term week would be quite busy but never experienced it as the latest we've been in Kalkan is 22 October.
Look forward to hearing how things go over the winter, especially hearing how things develop around the beach and harbour.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »
It makes it difficult to market Kalkan as a half-term destination if business are going to close early. I appreciate that it's gong to be quieter, and we also tell guests that will be the case, but when people arrive, some of whom have had to pay very prices for flights and things are all closing down, it won't do much to encourage people to return.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
Speaking to several business owers/ managers they are saying one more week & then finish, others will give it a bit longer,  some of the locals like to go somewhere to chill out after the season. The election may also be a contributory factor this year, together with the damp/ wet weather last week.   
The weather today again has been lovely despite quite a bit of cloud, it's getting cooler now as the sun goes down so will be closing the doors soon before it gets too chilly.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
The weather for the last 2 days has been fantastic, really warm so still in shorts, t shirts etc, the evenings are just getting that chill in them though. Sat at Merkez last evening watching a little bit of the world go by & waiting for the Republic Day parade to go through the town all torchlight  & fireworks. Really missed not having it last year & going by some of them in the parade so did they, fabulous atmosphere. They started from the bus station down through the town & onto the harbour. The shop keepers etc were letting off their fireworks too &  at one stage the old town was very red.  Quite a few Turkish visitors here too, perhaps  as it was a long week end for them they were making the most of the weather. The schools are closed until Tuesday so the pupils have yet another holiday, not sure if they have actually done a full month since returning from their summer break yet, the other week they had a day off because the bad weather, then there was a teachers dispute so more days off, the children in the UK would be very envious. 

Voting Sunday so it will be an interesting evening as the votes come in. Then when all that 'excitement' has quietened down we may see things moving re the building projects starting up again, at the moment we are relishing the peace & quiet together with not too much dust. 

Have started getting the garden tidied, all very good & nice these plants but they need hard pruning back, like to get ours done before the weather changes & the winds start otherwise it's leaves & mess everywhere.

At the present moment as I sit at home writing this, we have doors & windows open, the sun is just moving around from us but the mountain side is glowing if not a bit weaker & we can hardly hear any noise even from the D400, the bay looks calm, the trees just moving with the little breeze, bliss, but will certainly need a cardie this evening.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »
lucky you!! here the central heating is chugging away..it's cold and damp and should I dare wave a union jack in street like the patriotic turks parade a Turkish flag I would be told off by the council for upsetting foreigners!! >:D ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:52:04 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:11:09 PM »
Been ther BL, so can sympathise, but I bet you don't keep getting water cuts

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
Again a beautiful day weather wise,  for those who are interested/ concerned re the work on the harbour area, it has started, just. Big digger thumping away & lorry going to & fro taking away the rubble. No other details at this stage.  There is a large building site on the empty land next to Yali supermarket, we have been told that is a project by one of the local family developers involved in hotels etc., but this building is going to be shops & offices. If it's a few shops would like to see something different to what we already have.

The building has recommenced on the site opposite Cafe Ev, lots of banging & drilling, cement mixers will be arriving soon by the look of things. Can't see or hear anything else close by, some of the unfinished sites up on the mountain side don't seem to have anything happening to them at the moment which is surprising, early days though.

More businesses seem to have shut up shop within the last few days, some in the process of doing so.
Some one was asking about Oscar watches, well they seem to have closed up. 

Looking forward to another good day tomorrow, last November was very wet so this is nice.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »
Thanks for the update..you are our eyes and ears ;)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 05:37:08 PM »
Thought many would be pleased to hear about the harbour.  Also noticed some activity on the open area opposite the PTT, men with theodolites so maybe something happening there.

There seem to be still some visitors around enjoying this lovely weather, understand it's very foggy in the UK, watched some yachts coming into the harbour this afternoon, so a few more visitors albeit for only a few hours.   

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »
It must seem so quiet after the summer. Thanks for keeping us updated......we all wait with baited (spelling?) breath for news of the harbour development. Are they just doing the side where the fire was or the whole caboodle? Does anyone know?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
How quickly the close season has come around.....it feels like just a few short weeks ago that you were updating us on the mad rush to get Kalkan ready for the summer. My countdown app tells me its 221 days till K Day, so I'll be checking in here daily, hoping you have had the time to post an update, DRBD. News of the harbour work starting early bodes well - although I'm sure there will be much to report on this in the coming months both good and bad. I think I'm happy that the piece of wasteland in front of the Swan is finally being developed but will wait to hear from you on what becomes of the space.
Thanks for keeping us updated
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 06:19:18 AM »
Really hope that what ever gets built on the land is useful, not there just for the tourist season.  They seem to just build on any land for the sake of it sometimes without too much thought gone into it except , of course, money.  We still need some open spaces even though they end up with rubbish on them. 

As the harbour area is one of our weekly walks will certainly give updates & sure others will do so along with KTLN.  At the moment it really is a good time to be here  even though I can hear the drills etc., .The birds seem to be coming back into the gardens now it's cooler possibly & some of the plants are shooting off new bracks so looks as though we will be pruning again.   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:39:33 PM by DRBD »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 10:43:46 AM »
Many thanks DRBD for keeping us updated on the changes. It will be interesting to see how the harbour develops.
Enjoy the lovely weather and I hope it stays clement this autumn/winter.  :)

Offline KC

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 01:29:28 PM »
A Starbucks or such like would be fabulous in the new build next to Yali Supermarket.  Can live in hope!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
Or not..........

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »
I prefer a caffe nero by the harbour........nicer coffee and cakes.Never happen in a million years though

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »
Seriously? Personally. I'd prefer the harbour to look like Kalkan, not every high street in Britain that I come to get away from!
230 days till next visit...unless I can persuade OH to make an extra little visit in May, that is. In the mean time I shall just have to put up with reports on threads such as this one to see me through the long winter months.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 06:49:31 PM »
I am sure that the New Kalkan Harbour will be just fine. Those of us that have known this place for well over 20yrs have seen so many changes, we have accepted them as we are still  here. We don't own Kalkan, we must accept changes afterall its the tourists & the likes of us who choose to live here that have contributed to the changes   

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 10:53:06 PM »
I prefer a caffe nero by the harbour........nicer coffee and cakes.Never happen in a million years though

I like Café Nero in the UK but not needed while I am in Kalkan, as to a Starbucks I'd rather see a drive through McDonalds open.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Villa owners, are you getting many bookings for 2015 season

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

37 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
What's new in Kalkan 2015

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 01:37:58 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
The end of the summer......2015

Started by DRBD on Weather

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 08:46:37 PM
by DRBD
xx
13-20 April 2015

Started by pw on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Homeward bound

Views: 3882
By: misty
Summer flowers 2