Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: DRBD on October 27, 2015, 03:23:52 PM

Title: Out of Season 2015...2016
Post by: DRBD on October 27, 2015, 03:23:52 PM
I realise that's it's  not officially 'out of season' but having had a walk around Kalkan today it certainly feels like it. The weather was just lovely, sunny with a bit of cloud, think I did feel a  little fine rain but only for a second or so.  Sat & had a tea down on the beach end in the tea garden, so peaceful there, watched a couple of yachts come & go, a couple in the sea swimming & chatted to a few people we knew just passing the day.

Walked back up through the town but not before looking over to the harbour, some boats already packed waiting for the lift out day, spoke to one of the boats owners, he is still going out by says perhaps the boats will be lifted out around the 6th November, anyway certainly after the election, everything it seems is on hold until then even putting back the clocks, we are now 3hrs ahead of the UK.  That seemed to have caused a bit of a problem for some because obviously all the electronic things changed as normal, some people were late for meetings etc.

Some of the businesses were shut up already, the others just waiting, staff & owners just sitting about waiting for the last sale.  Merkez was quite busy, one or two young families it must be a bit boring for some of the youngsters at the moment.  The old town was certainly very quiet.

The rain showers held off & now the evening is drawing in, sun setting, very pink & sitting looking at the bay there appears to be no ripples on the water, but have noticed how much cooler it gets during the night, getting chilly feet so it may be time to get the thicker bedding out.

The election campaigners seem so much quieter this time just the odd van driving about which as far as we are concerned is good, it can get a bit tiresome, not many banners about, perhaps that will change nearer the week end.

Title: Re: Out of Season 2015...2016
Post by: Babs on October 27, 2015, 05:25:06 PM
Seems as if things are getting a lot quieter, I always thought half term week would be quite busy but never experienced it as the latest we've been in Kalkan is 22 October.
Look forward to hearing how things go over the winter, especially hearing how things develop around the beach and harbour.
Post by: Bdancer on October 28, 2015, 10:07:15 AM
It makes it difficult to market Kalkan as a half-term destination if business are going to close early. I appreciate that it's gong to be quieter, and we also tell guests that will be the case, but when people arrive, some of whom have had to pay very prices for flights and things are all closing down, it won't do much to encourage people to return.
Post by: DRBD on October 28, 2015, 02:11:00 PM
Speaking to several business owers/ managers they are saying one more week & then finish, others will give it a bit longer,  some of the locals like to go somewhere to chill out after the season. The election may also be a contributory factor this year, together with the damp/ wet weather last week.   
The weather today again has been lovely despite quite a bit of cloud, it's getting cooler now as the sun goes down so will be closing the doors soon before it gets too chilly.
Post by: DRBD on October 30, 2015, 01:40:18 PM
The weather for the last 2 days has been fantastic, really warm so still in shorts, t shirts etc, the evenings are just getting that chill in them though. Sat at Merkez last evening watching a little bit of the world go by & waiting for the Republic Day parade to go through the town all torchlight  & fireworks. Really missed not having it last year & going by some of them in the parade so did they, fabulous atmosphere. They started from the bus station down through the town & onto the harbour. The shop keepers etc were letting off their fireworks too &  at one stage the old town was very red.  Quite a few Turkish visitors here too, perhaps  as it was a long week end for them they were making the most of the weather. The schools are closed until Tuesday so the pupils have yet another holiday, not sure if they have actually done a full month since returning from their summer break yet, the other week they had a day off because the bad weather, then there was a teachers dispute so more days off, the children in the UK would be very envious. 

Voting Sunday so it will be an interesting evening as the votes come in. Then when all that 'excitement' has quietened down we may see things moving re the building projects starting up again, at the moment we are relishing the peace & quiet together with not too much dust. 

Have started getting the garden tidied, all very good & nice these plants but they need hard pruning back, like to get ours done before the weather changes & the winds start otherwise it's leaves & mess everywhere.

At the present moment as I sit at home writing this, we have doors & windows open, the sun is just moving around from us but the mountain side is glowing if not a bit weaker & we can hardly hear any noise even from the D400, the bay looks calm, the trees just moving with the little breeze, bliss, but will certainly need a cardie this evening.

Post by: Blue Lizard on October 30, 2015, 03:50:32 PM
lucky you!! here the central heating is chugging away..it's cold and damp and should I dare wave a union jack in street like the patriotic turks parade a Turkish flag I would be told off by the council for upsetting foreigners!! >:D ;)
Post by: DRBD on October 30, 2015, 08:11:09 PM
Been ther BL, so can sympathise, but I bet you don't keep getting water cuts
Post by: DRBD on November 03, 2015, 04:05:34 PM
Again a beautiful day weather wise,  for those who are interested/ concerned re the work on the harbour area, it has started, just. Big digger thumping away & lorry going to & fro taking away the rubble. No other details at this stage.  There is a large building site on the empty land next to Yali supermarket, we have been told that is a project by one of the local family developers involved in hotels etc., but this building is going to be shops & offices. If it's a few shops would like to see something different to what we already have.

The building has recommenced on the site opposite Cafe Ev, lots of banging & drilling, cement mixers will be arriving soon by the look of things. Can't see or hear anything else close by, some of the unfinished sites up on the mountain side don't seem to have anything happening to them at the moment which is surprising, early days though.

More businesses seem to have shut up shop within the last few days, some in the process of doing so.
Some one was asking about Oscar watches, well they seem to have closed up. 

Looking forward to another good day tomorrow, last November was very wet so this is nice.
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 03, 2015, 04:27:31 PM
Thanks for the update..you are our eyes and ears ;)
Post by: DRBD on November 03, 2015, 05:37:08 PM
Thought many would be pleased to hear about the harbour.  Also noticed some activity on the open area opposite the PTT, men with theodolites so maybe something happening there.

There seem to be still some visitors around enjoying this lovely weather, understand it's very foggy in the UK, watched some yachts coming into the harbour this afternoon, so a few more visitors albeit for only a few hours.   
Post by: Babs on November 03, 2015, 06:38:59 PM
It must seem so quiet after the summer. Thanks for keeping us updated......we all wait with baited (spelling?) breath for news of the harbour development. Are they just doing the side where the fire was or the whole caboodle? Does anyone know?
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 03, 2015, 10:53:42 PM
How quickly the close season has come around.....it feels like just a few short weeks ago that you were updating us on the mad rush to get Kalkan ready for the summer. My countdown app tells me its 221 days till K Day, so I'll be checking in here daily, hoping you have had the time to post an update, DRBD. News of the harbour work starting early bodes well - although I'm sure there will be much to report on this in the coming months both good and bad. I think I'm happy that the piece of wasteland in front of the Swan is finally being developed but will wait to hear from you on what becomes of the space.
Thanks for keeping us updated
Post by: DRBD on November 04, 2015, 06:19:18 AM
Really hope that what ever gets built on the land is useful, not there just for the tourist season.  They seem to just build on any land for the sake of it sometimes without too much thought gone into it except , of course, money.  We still need some open spaces even though they end up with rubbish on them. 

As the harbour area is one of our weekly walks will certainly give updates & sure others will do so along with KTLN.  At the moment it really is a good time to be here  even though I can hear the drills etc., .The birds seem to be coming back into the gardens now it's cooler possibly & some of the plants are shooting off new bracks so looks as though we will be pruning again.   
Post by: Lizilu20 on November 04, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
Many thanks DRBD for keeping us updated on the changes. It will be interesting to see how the harbour develops.
Enjoy the lovely weather and I hope it stays clement this autumn/winter.  :)
Post by: KC on November 04, 2015, 01:29:28 PM
A Starbucks or such like would be fabulous in the new build next to Yali Supermarket.  Can live in hope!
Post by: DRBD on November 04, 2015, 02:40:40 PM
Or not..........
Post by: Mayday1 on November 04, 2015, 02:46:22 PM
I prefer a caffe nero by the harbour........nicer coffee and cakes.Never happen in a million years though
Post by: Lola1 on November 04, 2015, 06:34:56 PM
Seriously? Personally. I'd prefer the harbour to look like Kalkan, not every high street in Britain that I come to get away from!
230 days till next visit...unless I can persuade OH to make an extra little visit in May, that is. In the mean time I shall just have to put up with reports on threads such as this one to see me through the long winter months.
Post by: DRBD on November 04, 2015, 06:49:31 PM
I am sure that the New Kalkan Harbour will be just fine. Those of us that have known this place for well over 20yrs have seen so many changes, we have accepted them as we are still  here. We don't own Kalkan, we must accept changes afterall its the tourists & the likes of us who choose to live here that have contributed to the changes   
Post by: alantj on November 04, 2015, 10:53:06 PM
I prefer a caffe nero by the harbour........nicer coffee and cakes.Never happen in a million years though

I like Café Nero in the UK but not needed while I am in Kalkan, as to a Starbucks I'd rather see a drive through McDonalds open.
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 05, 2015, 12:43:34 PM
KTLN have a list of whats opening food and drink wise out of season for those interested ;)
Post by: DRBD on November 05, 2015, 01:42:31 PM
Yes, quite a few this year which will be good. The Thursday market was noticeably emptier today of stall holders. Think the boats will be lifted out sometime this w/e according to one owner we were speaking to although did see one anchored in Kaputas yesterday. Still a lot of people swimming in the sea too.

Post by: DRBD on November 10, 2015, 03:42:38 PM
Had a walk down to the harbour this afternoon, all very quiet, Fener closed, not much happening on the  harbour work.  The boats as yet are still in the water, still a couple of yachts sailing in.  The building next to Yali is certainly going deep, 3 digger machines in the hole the other day.

The weather is still lovely although the clouds are gathering abit, people all sitting about relaxing & chatting,
Post by: DRBD on November 15, 2015, 12:07:34 PM
Well for those of you in need of a bit of a 'Kalkan Fix', here we have a nother fabulous day weatherwise, the sky has more cloud & it does feel a bit sticky so perhaps rain may be on its way, it has so far been a very dry month.

We had a walk down to the harbour via some of the back roads this morning, very quiet indeed. Saw & heard a digger up behind the main drag in the old town somewhere near Bourginvil, couldn't get along there so not sure what it's they are doing but possibly refurbish.  The old town is so quiet this year so far, no banging, cement mixing etc, such a treat.
The work on the renovated house on the harbour is now well & truely underway, but again there wasn't too much noise, there is some really smart building of walls going on there.  Sat in the tea garden & looked over the bay, quite a few Turkish families there having a Sunday catch up  with children in the play area using up their energy & still people swimming in the sea.  So peaceful.  As most of have read on KTLN possibly, the building of the new harbour premises is underway although today nothing was happening, no sign of any work going on there. Also you are aware  from KTLN that the boats are all in as from Friday, except one, the little  fishing boats are now in their places.   A couple or so places open, Aubergine,  Gusto but otherwise quiet. Walking back up into the town & on our way home the only building work we could hear was from next door to Yali, it looks as though they are ready to lay the first cement on the base, it goes down a long way.  Earlier in the week there was a problem with the water supply (surprise & yes we get it in the winter, even worse sometimes) water streaming down from the market area down into the town, also we had road closed so that caused a few problems.

It really is good to see people out & about meeting up with friends who they may not have seen since the beginning of the season, sitting about drinking cay & maybe putting the world or maybe Kalkan to rights. Did speak to a couple of the business people who sadly knew nothing about the public meeting that was held by the Mayor earlier this week in Kalkan, they were very surprised  & so were we they didn't know.

Anyway back home now, got our breath back, must go & do a couple of chores. Maybe tomorrow there will be more noise but for now it's bliss. Our thoughts go out to those in Paris, the victims, their families & friends especially as we have peace & quiet.   

Post by: Anne on November 15, 2015, 08:18:05 PM
Just to add a note to DRBD's report, the building on Suleyman Yilmaz Cd has been completely demolished, the one next door but one to iso's kitchen, apparently a new building going up, not clear what will be there but was told maybe a bar or restaurant on the lower level.  The residents of the building attached to it were watching with trepidation as the building was ripped away.  Walked past Hunkar Ocakbasi the other day and noticed the interior had been gutted as has the interior of the small Yali store between the roundabouts.  Although the old town is quiet, rather surprisingly the shops on the main drag above the Merkez are mainly still open, can't see them doing much trade.
Post by: Irene on November 15, 2015, 09:07:40 PM
Thanks for the updates - DRBD & Anne.   I hope the building being demolished wasn't one of the lovely old stone properties along this street - this area should be protected.
Post by: DRBD on November 16, 2015, 06:20:32 AM
Yes Hunkar are closed for a month  or so for refurbishment, so be interesting what they do there.  Interesting about the demolished building,  bet the ground wobbled as well as other buildings. There wasn't much room for the digger from what we saw.
Post by: DRBD on November 17, 2015, 04:46:10 PM
The weather is getting cooler, day & night time, bit of a breeze today.  Had a look at the site beside Yali this evening, cement pumper  & mixers all around, quite a lot of noise & traffic commotion  in that area.
Speaking to a local, it seems that it's going to be a new Migros on the site, now I am excited altho I said fancied a non food outlet, I like Migros. Also our informant said the old Migros would become the new local heath centre/ little hospital which if true is another positive. Had already heard that Migros wanted to expand but was given the impression they would expand  the location where they  are.  Oh well time will tell. My hopes of a small departmental store seem to be out of the window.
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 17, 2015, 06:29:40 PM
Thanks for your update again!! you have a breeze? we have what has been called hurricane Barney..which is actually high wind...Bet Yali supermarket are not happy with Migros going next door! price wars looming? ;)
Post by: DRBD on November 18, 2015, 07:10:20 AM
Have been reading about 'Barney' just feel sorry for those suffering from flooding, really horrible experience.

Thankfully we haven't had the high winds yet but sure they will arrive, in the meantime will make the most of this fine weather.

Post by: kalkan4eva on November 19, 2015, 01:14:00 PM
Oh how sad that an old building has been demolished on what is really one of the nicest little streets in Kalkan :( :( Maybe it was structurally unsound..? I hope it doesn't detract from how nice this area has become over the past two years.
Happy that Migros will be closer to town though...really like Migros but hate the walk up...hopefully it will be a bigger than the store up the road - but not too high a building as The Swan and Asiyan may feel a bit overshadowed.
Post by: Anne on November 20, 2015, 06:14:31 PM
Walked along Suleyman Yilmaz Cd today and the rock breaker is way below ground level, must be digging out a lower level.  Iso is not happy, he has had to close up his restaurant, too noisy and dusty.  Hopefully the new building will be in keeping with the rest of the street, at present the other half of the semi which the old building was attached to looks a bit forlorn and fragile. Weather is still amazing for November, few clouds later on and a bit of a breeze but still shorts and T shirt weather.
Post by: Irene on November 20, 2015, 07:14:28 PM
Very sorry to hear that Anne - not only does there seem to be no building protection in Kalkan,   I also feel sorry for Isos who works so hard at maintaining his business all year - fingers crossed he can open for Christmas & New Year, we love this place, especially in the winter, so atmospheric with the lovely roaring fire.

Post by: Blue Lizard on November 21, 2015, 09:44:37 AM
I kind of like Migros where it is..it's ideal for loitering around the chiller section after coming out of the market! :laugh:
best not to mention roaring fires in winter!! think we had enough of that last winter :o :o
Post by: Anne on November 21, 2015, 01:17:10 PM
Spoke to Iso today, he is opening at 8 pm when the rock breaker packs up.  New building next to Yali growing very quickly.

Post by: Irene on November 21, 2015, 01:28:08 PM
Brilliant - thanks Anne x
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 29, 2015, 01:24:18 PM
Hello.      Is anybody in Kalkan????Whats happening?any progress at the harbour etc? ???
Thank you kindly
Lizard
Post by: kalkan4eva on December 02, 2015, 11:54:01 PM
Apparently not, BL... :( :(
Post by: DRBD on December 03, 2015, 05:09:08 AM
Quite a few people are or have been away from Kalkan of late & it has been quiet so not too much to report except for repetitive updates on buildings. We have had rain recently.  Will have a walk around & update soon.   
Post by: mel on December 03, 2015, 07:31:40 AM
A new A101 shop opened very near to Arcelik last week, very handy for those living in Kiziltas.
Post by: DRBD on December 05, 2015, 12:37:59 PM
Now we have the power back which went off approx 09.30hrs this morning for maintenence, fortunately it wasn't off for as long as first stated,  just about 4 hrs,  can update what is happening about the town.

Work is still progressing re the new harbour building, there are now what looks like 3 square concrete boxes with flat roof tops, there is some more concrete construction above each 'box'  but not sure what, time will tell or someone with more knowledge. They are cladding the 'boxes' in some very nice looking stone work, should look very smart when completed.

The building that was demolished near Isos has now the metal work laid ready for the concrete foundations, it looks rather a large site. Also noticed the doors open at the old Kalkan Han with a workman painting the outside woodwork, so perhaps it's going to used again after very many years. The town does appear so much quieter so far with regard building/refurbishing, not even a great deal of machinery noise although some areas in the Kalamar region seem to be busy.   

The building next to Yali is growing higher, basement type floor, first floor & pillars for 2nd floor. Not being very knowledgeable about building construction so my descriptions may not be very helpful.

The weather is bright, dry & sunny but certainly getting cooler temperatures now, we got the long awaited & needed rain the other week but it only lasted a short time, the plants certainly have perked up.

There are still a few restaurants remaining open which is good just hope it's worth their while. 

Post by: Lizilu20 on December 05, 2015, 10:18:50 PM
Fab update DRBD thanks. I can't wait to be back in April to see how everything is progressing. The weather is rotten here, storm Desmond is certainly making himself known.
Post by: DRBD on December 06, 2015, 07:28:50 AM
Ktln have just published some photos so you can better idea of the buildings.
Post by: Blue Lizard on December 07, 2015, 02:07:11 PM
I'm sure that once the restaurants put the usual individual tasteful décor that most of the harbour has it will look magnifique! ;)
Post by: DRBD on December 07, 2015, 02:46:07 PM
Am sure BL that you are correct.
Post by: DRBD on December 13, 2015, 06:33:14 PM
Visited the harbour today, the weather is still fantastic although we have had a couple of chilly days recently, cloudy with a penetrating chilll.  Sadly for us the 2 tea gardens overlooking the beach have been closed by the Belediye  so no cuppas there, we were told it was to do with the new development. The work on the renovation of the, old house is really looking good, slow work but tasteful,  chatting to a very interesting man working there they hope to be finished this year weather permitting. The new harbour area is looking a mess but work in is still very much in progress,  still building the walls & doing the stone cladding, the inside of the units are taking shape From a friend who is a very interested party, he thinks things will be up & running for the 2016 season.

The rest of the town was very quiet, not much happening on the site by Isos, it's very deep & the supports there for concrete.  Building work appearing now in various areas, extentions etc but still not as previous years thank goodness. The site next to Yali is still going strong so perhaps it will be finished into the new year.

The Christmas atmosphere has reached a couple of the restaurants open on the harbour, large inflatable Santa's,  Christmas trees, lights etc. Migros & Carrefores have small Christmas sections in store.   

Post by: DRBD on December 20, 2015, 03:50:19 PM
Still not a great deal tp report at this time, the last 2-3 days have been rather wet, gentle rain much needed with some reall loud thunder with spectacular lightning, no wind though thankfully, certainly much cooler . Today we saw the return of the sunshine which was good as the rain had brought down the leaves from the trees so had a chance of a clear up.  The new building beside Yali seems to have stopped growing upward, the bricks are being laid now so it's all systems go there.  They were still doing the stone cladding on the units down at the harbour but you can now see the upper terraces taking shape.
It always seems strange walking about Kalkan at this time of year after watching the news about the build up towards christmas in the UK, non of that crazy rushing about etc here. Did get our turkey on Thursday though, we will have in the NY.  There are a few more Christmas trees up in some places, Lime are open & have theirs all decorated. It is still very quiet here but perhaps a few more visitors will be arriving for their Kalkan festive break, the weather forecast looks rather promising. 

One sad to report is that there have been a few break in recently into empty properties, I would suggest that those  of you have property get their management people to do some more checks if you haven't already done so, unfortunately they are not always checking as some may think.
Have a good christmas.........

Post by: kalkan4eva on December 22, 2015, 01:34:17 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated, DRBD...even when there isn't much to report, its still good to hear from you about building work progress - particularly at the harbour. I saw some photos yesterday and it looks as though the cladding has come on a pace on new units...they looked very much in keeping with the Kalkan we know and love. Happy days! Enjoy your turkey in Turkey ;D ;D
Post by: DRBD on December 24, 2015, 10:28:02 AM
The sun is still shining & it's very warm here.  Went over the thr Thursday market this morning & saw some visitors newly arrived wearing summer dresses , we needless to say have got jumpers on albeit light ones, so perhaps there will be a few going back with sun tans. It was good to see more faces about some we know some new.

On the way to Fethiye the other day  there was snow on some of the mountain tops but not much, just a smattering really..

For those in the UK who may be suffering from the terrible wet weather, we are thinking of you, flooding is so devastating, we hope you can enjoy your Christmas one way or another.

On a sadder note we send our condolences to the family & friends of Diane Lewis who we didn't know personally, only to see about when she was here, as she was a very nearby neighbour who we saw just briefly after she arrived last week.  Very sad & tragic.

Enjoy your Christmas.
Post by: DRBD on December 31, 2015, 08:54:49 AM
For those of you affected by the terrible wet weather & flooding  & reading/ hearing the news thats seems to be almost the whole of the UK, really do hope you get some respite soon, what an awful time.

Still not a great deal to report re Kalkan, the weather is still dry, sunny & bright we definitely have a chill factor now, -2 this morning with a bitter wind, it seems the cold weather is hitting Turkey with heavy snow falls forecast for Istanbul & other areas. So after having a very fabulous early winter looks like we are in for cold & wet, that will upset the builders. The building next to Yali has come on in leaps & bounds, still not sure who is going to be there as every day the rumours change so as far as we are concerned its wait & see.  Haven't been down to the harbour recently, we miss the tea gardens to sit in & watch the bay. Will go tomorrow all being well. Still very quiet here. 

Post by: Lizilu20 on December 31, 2015, 10:01:32 AM
Thanks DRBD, it's good of you to keep us up to date and I'm hanging on to every snippet. It will be interesting to see what happens with the building next to Yali. Enjoy your New Years Eve in Kalkan and for everyone who is there right now -  I sure wish I was.  :)
Post by: Blue Lizard on December 31, 2015, 12:46:47 PM
Thanks for the update...wonder what that is going to be next door to yali? must admit I thought it strange that Migros would move such a short distance to a spot with less room? hope it stays put as I dive into the frozen section for a loiter after the market for a cool down!  things are pretty windy here but seems to be easing not as bad as ooop "t" north where I feel really sorry for them..my missing 6 fence panels and posts seem pretty insignificant when you see floods and damage on telly! more bad news the new years honours list is out and Mrs Queen seems to have forgotten me again? ::)
Post by: DRBD on December 31, 2015, 01:34:31 PM
Loitering in Migros BL ......... well really you know how to live😰😰😰😰.  beleive you me you wouldn't want loiter here today anywhere except around a fire.
Post by: DRBD on January 01, 2016, 03:43:19 PM
The New Year swimmers braved the icy wind this lunch time to take their swim, some in fancy dress, all looking bright after the new year celebrations, it really was a lovely sunny morning but oh that chill. The workmen working on the new harbour buildings were more than amused to see what was going on, you could almost read their minds😲😲😲  The new units look really smart wouldn't be surprised to see them finished & ready for the installing of the fittings & fixtures very soon.  Whilst walking down to the harbour saw some very large & long icicles hangs from a building. The renovation of the old house is coming on, traditional workmanship being done. 
A slow walk up up towards home through the old town, very few people about which was unusual bearing in mind its a bank holiday but we did come across some Turkish visitors having  a New Year break in Kalkan. It was a lovely walk but very pleased to get home in the warm.
Post by: pw on January 01, 2016, 04:50:53 PM
Another great update DRBD. Thank you.

pw
Post by: DRBD on January 02, 2016, 06:42:40 AM
Sunshine but -4 this morning maybe colder up on the mountainside but our pool is iced over, won't try the skating though. Very watery sky.
Post by: DRBD on January 04, 2016, 07:35:54 AM
This morning is dark & bleak, the wind has been blowing up since last evening & the rain started during the night. & it's cold. So think it will be a mopping up day which has started already. Can't see across the bay for the rain, at the moment, a bit of electric storm about, think we have come to the end of our fabulous   early winter. Water coming through a couple of doors & windows mainly due to the way the wind is blowing, which in this sort of weather is the norm in our house, olds towels & mops on standby. The next thing possibly the electric will go off due to the storm but really hope not, thank goodness for the gas hob & wood burner.

Just off to check & unblock the outside drains from all the leaves & debris blown about, plenty of it too, even though OH spent all morning yesterday doing just that with a bonfire. Well at least it will clear the dust &  muck away😈😈😈..

Think it may be a DVD day around the fire. ☔☔⚡⚡💧💧
Post by: Mayday1 on January 04, 2016, 11:22:40 AM
Hi DRBD,

Thanks very much for the continuing fab updates.It sounds  a bit wet now....a " batten down the hatches " kind of day. Lets hope the sunshine returns and your generally mild and sunny winter returns very soon............no such luck here at the moment,although wet,it is actually still very mild here in Worcestershire

Happy new year to you and your family.
Post by: DRBD on January 04, 2016, 01:14:15 PM
Thank you, Mayday1.

Well the sun did make an appearance & it got very warm just long enough to start drying the terraces out & 2 very soggy bath towels, managed a bit of a clear up outside, those leaves get everywhere. Had a quick walk into town to do a couple errands, water gushing towards the harbour as you can all imagine, think everone else had the same idea, had forgotten it's the first day banks etc opened after the NY.  It all seems a while ago now. Back in time before the rain started again gentle, so far but back to dark skies. Needless to say the bay is looking a muddy colour & the mountain is shrouded in cloud. All that said the rain is needed as it's been a very dry few months.

Understand from family & friends that the UK is soggy all over now just hope there is some release for those who have been flooded.

Post by: DRBD on January 13, 2016, 11:43:59 AM
Having replied & given an update on the wrong topic, I will now give one in the right place😇😇

Have had a walk down to the beach & harbour this morning, very cloudy but warm. Went through the old town where the new building along from Isos is still under construction. Nothing happening at the Kalkan Han, just the lower outside windows & doors painted nothing else seems to be happening. The new Old Town Tea rooms/ Hotel which is new for this season is being worked on, that is situated behind the Botanic gardens.  Didn't see much activity at all in this area.  Walked down the narrow path by the side of the water gully, such a shame its not being looked after, infact in places a mess & dangerous.

The old house being renovated into a hotel is really looking good, as previously stated  the workmanship is fantastic &  being done in the traditional way.  The cement pumper was there though this morning.

The sea was calm after the last few dayes, no muddy areas, but searched for seals, sadly no sightings.

Work on the new restaurants has come along way in the last week, not sure everone is going to be impressed with the units now as they have built glass fronts onto the frontage, these then open out onto small decking areas which we think look smart. The glass fronts will look better than the awnings that are being used by many at the moment, they have folding  blinds on the tops which are built in.  From the front decking areas to the side,  there are steps up to the upper terraces. It is looking at this time all very modern but am sure once there are plants/ shrubs planted in what look like designated areas it will soften the look, with the new stone work its looks rather bright & a bit glary at the moment. As I havent  clue how to put photos on here unable to show you, just hope my description isn't too much of a muddle.

Not too much work being done on the boats this morning, nice to see & have a chat with some of the boat owner, still no sighting of the seal.

Having walked back up through the very,very quiet town, time for a cuppa, rain has held off but the cloud is moving down onto the mountain.

Did speak to one of the interested parties at the building site next to Yali, asked what/who was going in there, got a knowing smile but no answer, so as previously said we will wait & see.   Could be they don't know yet  themselves either😉😉😉😉😉.

There is rather a lot of understandable gloom from some locals re the tourist industry for this year especially after yesterdays incident in Istanbul, think perhaps the seriousness of it all is hitting home a bit more. Sometimes you get the feeling from some, that because we are so far away it wont affect places like Kalkan.

On a brighter note, the shedding of the leaves here from the trees seems to be nearly over, perhaps the next windy day will see the last on our nearby trees blown down, then another fire to get rid of them. It really is quite mucky & messy in places with builders rubbish,  general rubbish eg plastic bottles/wrappers etc  together with the leaves, have to watch your footing.

Post by: janeb on January 13, 2016, 12:48:16 PM
Get report, it's so very interesting to hear about Kalkan in the winter months and to hear the news on the developments for the new season.Thank you so much.

The situation and possible impact on visitor numbers, as you said, particularly after the horrible events in Istanbul, is really concerning and will have an effect on tourist coming to Kalkan and Turkey. Hasn't stopped us yet, we're booked for May and September and possibly as it's our 40th wedding anniversary in August we may sneak another week in then.
Post by: Mayday1 on January 13, 2016, 01:56:15 PM
Hi DRBD
thanks for a spot on update...... I read your other one as well,but I am very impressed that you are placing it in the correct " topic " slot.

I wondered if the new glass fronts for the restaurant units  will be quite warm in summer.I would think that most diners would want to be outside in the open air.......but maybe more useful towards the end of the main season,when a little cooler.

I think the incident in Istanbul,and the other previous incidents will have an impact on tourism this year.We are heading toward being fully booked already but it has quietened down and I really hope that everyone will continue to support this amazing place called paradise..........( oopps..I mean kalkan )

Post by: DRBD on January 13, 2016, 02:33:38 PM
Am sure the developers have taken into account the glass etc., be interesting to see things more finished
It was interesting to see some of the businesses opposite the Pirate have had glass fronts installed. Suppose they will all open up in the summer.
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 13, 2016, 04:47:23 PM
The Windows are so they can keep Wasps as pets like cake shops do :P >:D
Post by: Babs on January 13, 2016, 06:07:44 PM
Thanks for the update DRBD. I'm not sure I'm liking the sound of the glass fronts? But will just have to wait and see......like many people one of the joys of holidays is eating outdoors and I sort of like being surrounded by my outdoors! Mind you as we are visiting n October this year I may well change my tune!  :laugh:
Post by: hobbo on January 13, 2016, 06:27:41 PM
I believe that like elsewhere the glass will fully open or even be removed during summer and closed if required during winter / very early and late season, much safer than the flammable plastic sheeting the units used to use.
Post by: MartynE on January 13, 2016, 06:41:43 PM
much safer than the flammable plastic sheeting the units used to use.

Given the cause of the rebuilding, this is very pertinent, Hobbo ;)
Post by: chrissy1 on January 13, 2016, 07:09:54 PM
It's such a shame you don't know how to upload some pics DBRD it would be great to see some more recent ones.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on January 13, 2016, 07:25:54 PM
The Lavanta website gives their take on the new developments LINK (http://www.lavantakalkan.com/blog/124-kalkan-harbour-development-plans).

It states 'Each restaurant will have a defined, shaded dining space on the front side, which it will be possible to close (for shelter) in the winter time'.

A bit more to read at this time of the year anyway for us Kalkan fans!  :laugh:

B
Post by: pattaya on January 13, 2016, 09:34:06 PM
Hi
we got back from Kalkan last week after spending the New Year there. Had a great time although it was so cold, never had it that cold before ! Blue sky's  but a really cold wind, even had to buy more heaters for the apartment.
We had a great new year, did it a little different this year as we went to Salonika it was fabulous the food, the entertainment and the massive log fire which I was sat right next to. We was going to go to the harbour after dinner however it was far to cosy in there move. It was perfect.
I thought Kalkan was very quiet this year though with even less open after the new year celebrations had ended. Its a shame that fener doesn't open, but then maybe they will next year when the work down there is finished.
Did miss sitting down there having a coffee looking out to sea.
We then left Kalkan on the worst day possible for driving, awful thunderstorm the road out was more like a fast flowing river !
managed to get to Dalaman safely though where we then flew to Istanbul and spent 4 wonderful days there taking in all the sights & smells. Such a terrible shame to see yesterdays news after having been in that same place on Tuesday last week. We met some lovely friendly people in Istanbul, and there is just so much to see.

Until April : )
Post by: Lizilu20 on January 14, 2016, 04:13:19 PM
Just noticed that KTLN have done an update and included pictures of the new units with the glass fronts.  :)
Post by: DRBD on January 14, 2016, 05:11:00 PM
That was well timed.
Post by: Babs on January 14, 2016, 06:28:20 PM
So glad to hear the glass fronts will open and close......all makes sense now!  :laugh:
Post by: DRBD on January 16, 2016, 07:26:20 AM
The lift sounds a good idea on the harbour (KTLN report) & am sure the developers have thought about it but if it is electrically operated what happens if there is a power cut albeit a short one. Hope there will be a generator  installed to cut in.   
Post by: Christina on January 17, 2016, 07:40:25 AM
The lift sounds a good idea on the harbour (KTLN report) & am sure the developers have thought about it but if it is electrically operated what happens if there is a power cut albeit a short one. Hope there will be a generator  installed to cut in.
I must admit this was the first thing I thought of when I saw the plans a couple of years back. In addition to a back-up generator there would need to be a person nominated or system installed to respond to a passenger pressing the lift alarm in case the carriage gets stuck. Also, would it only operate between certain hours? It also goes without saying that a certain amount of 'policing' may be necessary to make sure it is not abused or vandalised by idiots - like parts of the gulley walkway or the area behind the beach.

On the whole, I remain open-minded and mostly positive about the new harbour plans - as long as planting is done professionally and ongoing maintenance/policing of public areas is carried out to a high standard. But I remain unconvinced about the planned wooden bathing platforms which extend out into the sea. For me they will detract from the natural unspoiled beauty of Kalkan beach, and I wonder how they would stand up to the devastating winter storms we have seen over recent years?

The workmanship on the new harbour restaurants seems very high, and I am sure that the retractable glass walls and ceilings will make them more versatile, and usable throughout all weathers. I have been onto the new upper terraces which have great energy and fantastic views. I understand the auction for the leases on the units will take place in Kas on 19th January, and we are all waiting with bated breath to see what the outcome is. I know at least two of the previous occupants who will be bidding, and I wish them every success.

Post by: DRBD on January 17, 2016, 09:10:48 AM
From our last couple of weeks or so of lovely weather it has now turned to a  really blustery wet day, Friday was glorious, yesterday dreary but then we did have both water & power cut offs for most of the day which didn't help especially as we hadn't heard the apparent message about the electrics, washing machine was full !!!!!! Thankfully for us it returned approx 15.30 but for some they were longer waiting.   Always a worry if there is much in the freezer.
Anyway plenty of rubbish blowing about this morning, saw someone's washing blowing on the line earlier, quite frankly surprised it was still there & not flying over the D400,  must have really strong pegs, certainly not a drying day.
It's a DVD day around the fire.

Post by: DRBD on January 24, 2016, 10:00:19 AM
Really bright & sunny morning with a very chilly wind. Yesterday the wind was bitterly cold & last night we had sleet falling. The mountains between Kalkan & Fethiye have a good covering of snow, looked beautiful with the sun shining on them. Some friends who have been to Elmali say lots of snow in that area.

Post by: DRBD on January 27, 2016, 02:35:55 PM
For those of you who are concerned/interested in the occupiers of the new units, this is what we were told yesterday by one of the interested parties. The 2nd auction takes place next Tuesday morning when things should be finalised.  The reason it wasn't all sorted out last week is too compliccated to explain & in all honestly  is of no concern to others not involved.  The rents being asked by the Belediye are enormous & then there is the fitting out together with furnishing of the units. Once the auction is over & it is established who has been successful the contracts are signed & there has to be a months waiting period before things can go a head. From the  information given to us our interested party is confident he has got his unit to the extent he is ordering equipment & has closed up where he has been operating.

The units are looking good even though work is still in progress, there are some decent looking steps going up to the terraced areas which has to be a bonus, as we all know not a Turkish speciality, the plastic decking looks very good, there are slopes for pushchair/mobility access, though they do look a bit steep but hey ho an improvement.    The street dogs seem to a prove of the units as they are now finding warm spots in the sun on the decking to have their sleeps during the days.

Saw a digger high on the mountain side the other side of Kalamar, looks like a new road under construction, another scar on the mountains.

Post by: alantj on January 28, 2016, 01:26:36 AM
I hope one of the interested parties is Durali, we are looking forward to having a beer at the new Kleo bar when we are out in April.

Also hope the rents are not too enormous, especially as I had a look at the Owners Direct stats (showing the number of Kalkan views) today and they are over 50% down on this time last year.   
Post by: DRBD on January 28, 2016, 07:08:08 AM
Well what with the government's tax rises for this year you can be certain your Efes will be more expensive this year for starters.
Post by: DRBD on February 02, 2016, 05:02:14 PM
Congratulations to Deniz of Seaport, he has won his place back down on the harbour today.  Now for a busy time.,
Post by: pw on February 02, 2016, 06:08:39 PM
I understand thee are just 3 units taken and Mehmet/Mussakka didn't join the bidding process, preferring to stay up on town.
I t will be interesting to see what happens now. Personally, I'd like Durali to expand Kleo Bar!!

pw
Post by: DRBD on February 02, 2016, 08:11:01 PM
Time & money will tell. 
Post by: Charlie on February 02, 2016, 09:29:39 PM
I think it will be a very tough first year for those moving into the new units - enormous  rents and it seems a big drop in visitors.  Maybe Mehmet made the right decision?  I really wish them all the very best for the coming season.
Post by: DRBD on February 03, 2016, 05:30:09 PM
Have just seen on KTLN that the 7th annual survey is ready for you all to complete, it only takes a few minutes & of course is quite important so come on Kalkan lovers have your say.

Weather really is great here at the moment, spring flowers popping up around the areas,  daffodils & roses out at the same time in the garden, very different. We seem to have a couple of pairs of robins very busy in & out of the garden.
Post by: DRBD on February 21, 2016, 12:18:10 PM
Not been down to the Harbour area for a couple of weeks or so as have been elsewhere but this morning we took a look.  Nothing much has happened in the area since our last visit, the insides of of new premises have been rendered & electric sockets etc in place. No workmen in sight working & their work hut all closed up so perhaps they are having a day off. Personally can not see these places ready for quite some time  yet, still lots of work to do, yes I know things can move very quickly here but not that quickly.

The new hotel that was the old house is really coming along, very smart & they were working on it this morning. Some very talented workmanship going on there.

The weather stays warm, last week was so warm & sunny it was t-shirt weather, no heating needed the last few evenings. We did have a storm early this morning with some rain but not a great deal.

The blossom is bursting out on a lot of trees now, just hope the weather doesnt change & knock it off, flowers are now blooming, lots of shrubs also gaining new leaf buds infact spring has sprung, some areas are full of colour with the wild flowers, the blue mauve of the anemones for example.  The sea in the bay was rather rough though, we witnessed a Turkish family on the beach having a great time when all of a sudden a big wave rolled in knocking a couple of youngsters to their feet & socking one of them completely, lots of laughter from the family but not the youngester concerned, lots of tears &  a bit of shock, plenty of wet clothes.

The new building next to Yali is still being worked on, still don't know who or what it is going to be so just waiting, sure somewhere someone knows.  Still building going on in places, one day nothing another day new brickwork appears but certainly not as much digger noise this winter near us anyway.

Bit cloudy now, the sun popping out inbetween the clouds, with a strong breeze.

Post by: suziq on February 21, 2016, 03:39:53 PM
I agree with you DRBD that the workmanship on the new hotel looks excellent. I also noticed some tree houses have been built at Botanik Bar. I'm not sure how confident I would feel climbing down after a couple of cocktails!

As for the building next to Yali, I thought I saw a billboard in front of it with pictures of apartments. I thought that related to the building. I might be wrong though.
Post by: DRBD on February 21, 2016, 04:19:23 PM
Yes have noticed that sign too but thought it might relate to the top floors which seems the norm, commercial premises underneath. Something to look forward to😈
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 21, 2016, 04:49:54 PM
Those aren't Treehouses in Botanik garden....they are low cost appartments >:D :P
Post by: DRBD on March 02, 2016, 09:04:18 AM
The last few days here have been dry, very warm & sunny but oh the gale force winds are blowing, which it seems will not subside until we get some rain which is really needed owing to the so far dry winter.  Had a ride out the other day, the snow is fast disappearing from the mountaintops, even the  really high ones.  The trees are really in full blossom around the area now, to see them across from the mountain side overlooking Saribelen was quite breathtaking. Have been to check the damage again in the garden, some shrubs are looking again rather naked due to the winds sure mother nature will put it alright later but in the meantime there are leaves & debris everywhere. Some bulbs still struggling to make their spring showing, it is only early March so we could be in for some change in the weather.

It's been a sad time in Kalkan following the tragic death of Ilkers son at the weekend, most people are aware of Ilker if not by name by by the fact that he runs the stationery shop by the main roundabout & has helped tourist/expats alike with various things, the family are devastated as are their friends, our thoughts are with them at this time.

The sea in the bay is looking, apart from rough a big grey & dull, the sun has gone in, cloud building by  the looks of things so perhaps the rain is on the way, very muggy in doors, really want to open the doors but because of the winds that's out of the question, so the singing windows & doors will continue being tuneful for a while.

Post by: Mayday1 on March 02, 2016, 10:18:00 AM
Fab report DRBD.Always look forward to hearing from you.Your post was almost poetic at times......"  so the singing windows & doors will continue being tuneful for a while." Your reports conjure up a great image for us of the Kalkan goings on,when we cant be there ourselves.

It was really sad to hear of Erdas' death.Very tragic for his family who we knew well,as did so many others around Kalkan.Our thoughts are with his family at this time.RIP Erda
Post by: DRBD on March 02, 2016, 10:39:58 AM
Thanks Mayday1 kind of you, further though to my last, within the last 30 mins or so the winds have hightened to real gale force, we now have a large chorus going re the windows etc but watching from the inside there are numerous very large trees doing u bends & am sitting here watching the wind blowing large amounts of sea water across the bay in a thick spray, just like smoke. In the meantime we have just seen a very large amount od smoke coming off the mountainside opposite & flames leaping up into the air, not helped at all by this wind, very dangerous & very close to properties. The flames are getting more & more but the fire engine has just arrived, ....fingers crossed they get it under control very soon with this wind this could be very serious.. 
Post by: Mayday1 on March 02, 2016, 01:24:20 PM
Oh no,not a  mountain fire.As you say,that could turn nasty very quickly especially with wild and strong winds.There is always something dramatic happening,it seems,in paradise.
Post by: DRBD on March 02, 2016, 01:59:03 PM
Fortunately the fire was put out but not until it caused a bit of damage to the mountainside, it seemed to have started just below the Mediterran hotel burning downwards but thankfully not too much damage it seems, we had a power cut for a short while so perhaps that was also caused by the fire. The fire engine is still in situ.  Unfortunately the wind has continued to blow  like fury, things flying about, quite an effort to walk about, so now tucked up indoors, at this moment its far from being  'Paradise'.
Post by: Mayday1 on March 02, 2016, 03:09:38 PM
Pleased the fire is out.Take your point about it not being "Paradise" at the moment.....In the Uk,we have storm "Jake" doing its worse so it is not really anything like paradise here either.
Post by: brian j p on March 02, 2016, 03:29:53 PM
BLizard:   re " Those aren't Treehouses in Botanik garden....they are low cost appartments"

Really made me laugh ,   wonder what the rents are 
Post by: DRBD on March 21, 2016, 06:28:14 AM
Had a walk around yesterday, the weather was just fantastic after a week with high winds & rain & chilly evenings. Not much happening with the new units , Seaport has equipment inside but it seems there have had to be some alterations done inside to accommodate some of it &also build a 2nd toilet as these units were built with only one & licencing requirements are 2. The work on phase 2 is underway, they have dug some of the rock face, cleared the greenery &  the road above is taped off which is just as well as it has become extremely narrow & unsafe all a bit scarey. The area is just a mess & there is a lot of work to be done.  There is a bit of activity now in & around the town with getting places opened & tided up but not a great deal. Spoke to several business owners who are not really aiming to be ready until May, yavas yavas is what we were told. Nothing done on the new building next to Yali due to the tragic death of owner last week  but perhaps this week things will re-commence.   Today's weather is forecast as being rather hot so may have to get a bit of sunbathing in, after the chores.
Post by: lynda on March 21, 2016, 08:26:45 AM
Lovely to have your report to read with my breakfast this morning.
Thank you for taking the time to do this, I look forward to them.
Post by: Mayday1 on March 21, 2016, 09:10:24 AM
Hi DRBD,
Thanks for a fab report as always.Sounds as if there is a gradual wind up towards the start of the season but no rush !! I am hoping that there are plenty of visitors this year and I am sure that is what the locals want as well.

We have a lovely sunny day here but it is freezing and certainly not sun bathing weather........so get the chores done quickly and get out on those sun beds...........I am,as they say... JEALOUS !!

I have to wait until mid April.......cant wait to return.
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 23, 2016, 05:27:08 PM
Thanks for keeping us informed, DRBD, always good to hear what's going on in Kalkan.
KTLN have posted pictures of Phase 2 at the harbour and I have to say digging into the rockface always worries me...quite a big slice has been taken out which leaves the top road in a very precarious position. I'm hoping (and praying) some sort of structural survey was carried out before the plans were passed...assurances would be good from anyone who may be in the know :-\
It isn't that long ago there was a serious rock fall a bit further along from here...I still quicken my pace when walking past the spot.

It did make me laugh to read the units were built with only 1 WC when the licencing laws require two ;D ;D Purpose built units, not built for purpose..only in Turkey ::) ::) Hope they can sort it in time for the new season - so looking forward to visiting these restaurants and bars in particular.

How very sad to hear the owner of the new building near Yali has passed away suddenly.

Hopefully now there's some activity in the town, you'll be able to post more news...she says..hopefully...!  :-* In between chores and sunbathing of course. All scraps gratefully received  :)
Post by: Kalkan regular on March 23, 2016, 06:03:07 PM
I think they will be doing the usual metal cables with boarding then infilled with concrete then boarding removed and faced with stone, that's why they're digging so deep. It's what they did with the back wall of the 6 new units.
Post by: Babs on March 23, 2016, 06:29:09 PM
I really hope so......we are staying above the Korsan in October and don't want to disappear into the abyss when having breakfast!!  :o
Post by: Kalkan regular on March 23, 2016, 08:59:11 PM
I'm sure you'll be safe from land slide but not so from all the lovely eating places within a 100 yards!
Post by: Christina on March 24, 2016, 06:14:20 AM
Most of us realise it will probably be a quieter year than usual in Kalkan, and many of my English friends with businesses there are poised to open this week to maximise their income for the season. However, some say that some of their Turkish counterparts do not seem to share the same sense of concern, and plan to open much later in the season (Yavas Yavaz), fully expecting the hordes to flood into town and up to their tables as they have always done. I do hope they are right.

I also hope the building site/redeveopment work behind the beach will not impact too negatively on the occupants of the new harbour units who have paid a handsome price to re-establish their businesses this season, and must be keen to open for business soon without noise and mess on their doorsteps.

I am delighted to be travelling over next week, and I will be bringing along family, friends and guests - many of whom will be first time visitors to Kalkan, and who I hope will come to love it like the rest of us. I just hope Kalkan is ready in time. After June my bookings are practically non-existent - compared to back to back bookings all season last year - a trend shared by many other owners I know in KK.

Post by: DRBD on March 24, 2016, 07:27:24 AM
Christina we have spoken & do so quite often to local business owners, they are fully aware of the problems this season may bring & have been since the end of last season, sadly the situation has escalated  over the recent months, they are also fully aware of the airline flight changes, to our knowledge no one is expecting a flood of tourists, they may however have hope. Some are waiting to assess the situation as to whether they open earlier than May which seems sensible.       

The building behind the beach, the phase 2 part of the project may have an impact, at the moment no way could anyone open there, some ofthe units as I mentioned earlier are having to be altered by the new occupiers for various reasons so will take time obviously. The weather is very much on builders side at the moment so it will help the situation.

Kalkan will be ready for you albeit not totally. 

We are certainly looking forward to some of the restaurants opening as residents it's going to be lovely to have more choice & a change.
Post by: brian j p on March 24, 2016, 09:46:35 AM
I think Kalian will surprise lots   by having a good year   and bucking  the trend  of other areas
Post by: Babs on March 24, 2016, 10:19:46 AM
Let's hope so Brian!
Post by: DRBD on March 25, 2016, 09:12:35 AM
Just a little more reassurance for those  of you who are still worrying if Kalkan will be 'in working order' for the Easter break etc., lots of activity around & about getting various places ready over the last few days,  cleaning, painting, tables being scrubbed so not too much to worry about really. It is still early for the season to start so some will be leaving it until later.

The weather is warm, infact quite sticky this morning, a bit of cloud. Quite a few visitors here already going by the new or newish faces & summer clothes are the order of the day it seems although its still chilly in the evenings so the cardie will be needed.  We have had some nasty winds also so be prepared. As the clocks change this w/e we are in for llighter evening thank goodness, unless of course the Turkish Government say otherwise.😈

Happy Easter folks.
Post by: Mayday1 on March 25, 2016, 10:41:18 AM
Happy Easter Kalkanites.An Eggcellent (sorry) report as always DRBD.Looking forward to coming in April.
Post by: Chris S on March 26, 2016, 03:40:41 PM
I hate to be the prophet of doom brian j p, but if my personal experience is in any way reflected generally, Kalkan is in deep trouble, as am I.  Bookings down 93% on last year (8 days booked for 2015 against 116 in 2015).
Sadly, I have no ideas on improving the situation and any suggestions would be more than welcome.  As it stands, my pension is down the tubes and I fear for the livelihoods of those working in Kalkan.  >:( ??? :(

Post by: MartynE on March 26, 2016, 05:34:01 PM
Chris S you are not alone. From our own experience and from talking to other owners, it is clear that generally, bookings are down between 40% and 90% from last year. We are only experiencing a 40% drop ourselves but most of those bookings were repeat guests, taken before the end of last season. New enquiries have almost completely dried up. For us, although June, August and September bookings are not too bad... May, July and October bookings are looking very sparse indeed.

We know of villa owners who normally let out for 16-20 weeks with no effort.... but this year they are struggling to even fill two or three weeks. It's pretty desperate. The knock-on effect will be huge; pools will still need to be filled and cleaned, and gardens maintained, of course, but cleaners will have much less work than usual and so will the laundries. Restaurants and bars, boat owners, shops, etc, will definitely be competing for fewer customers throughout the summer. I can't see all of them surviving the season to be honest.

There is no way of dressing it up. It is going to be an extremely challenging year for many business owners; I wish there was an easy answer but there isn't. Kalkan will just have to ride it out and hope that the great British press stop their campaign against Turkey soon.
Post by: Babs on March 26, 2016, 05:47:32 PM
MartynE you have hit the nail on the head. The press have a lot to answer for in my opinion. Today in the Time (who have always been a huge advocate of Kalkan/turkey) there was an article about where to go for early summer sun......not a mention of turkey. I think it is grossly unfair and really misleading. I've looked at the FCO website and the advice for travelling to Turkey in terms of terrorism etc. is exactly the same as it is for Spain, amongst other countries. Apparently Simon Caulder was on tv yesterday saying her would travel to
Turkey, we need more of that sensible attitude. The sad events of this week have shown that nowhere is safe and by encouraging tourists to "boycott" countries the press are just playing into the terrorists hands. Yes I know that there situation in Turkey is very complicated and there is more than terrorism involved but I so feel for people whose livelihoods depend on the summer season. Fingers crossed that maybe as the season starts things might pick up a bit as there are bound to be some amazing bargains to be had?
Post by: pw on March 26, 2016, 06:14:15 PM
Simon Calder has said he would not hesitate to holiday in Turkey.

pw
Post by: MartynE on March 26, 2016, 06:45:02 PM
Simon Calder has said he would not hesitate to holiday in Turkey.

pw

Yes. I heard that as well...however, I fear that the damage is largely already done, at least as far as 2016 is concerned. So many flights to Turkey have now been cancelled that it's looking like a self-fulfilling prophecy by the airlines.
Post by: Babs on March 26, 2016, 07:18:00 PM
I'm just trying to be a little optimistic as not booked to go to Kalkan till October! We are just hoping we'll be able to go ahead as planned, my husband is looking forward to spending a rather special birthday there! It seems our fate is in the lap of the gods.......or the flight companies anyway!  :(
Post by: Chris S on March 26, 2016, 08:12:40 PM
As with you MartynE, my last (and only) booking was made in July 2015.  Nothing since!
Post by: hobbo on March 28, 2016, 07:25:06 PM
It's not all doom and gloom.. We have managed to fill 19 weeks so far for 2016 with another 2 weeks awaiting decision, we have a 50/50 mix of returning guests and new guests, with 8 inquires (resulting in 3 bookings) since the start of the year. We have had 1 booking fail because of flight prices (£376 per person without bags from Edinburgh killed the deal..)
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 29, 2016, 08:07:02 AM
I noticed that article too, Babs and the absence of Turkish places but they did do this article in the Sunday Times Travel section a couple of weeks ago. Rounds up some fantastic deals but sits squarely on the fence - even though the article was entitled "It's beautiful, its's welcoming, it's less than half price so should you go to Turkey?

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/travel/Holidays/article1677049.ece
Post by: Chris S on March 29, 2016, 12:25:47 PM
OK Hobbo, what's the secret?  I am on the verge of giving up.
Post by: hobbo on March 29, 2016, 03:36:53 PM
Chris if I knew I'd bottle it...
Post by: brian j p on March 30, 2016, 12:41:25 PM
Great news hobbo ,   shows there are still  signs of activity , we are in the same camp as others i.e not many bookings , in fact  two ,    However   one  booking   was  made  just  a few weeks ago  so we still have faith  and fingers crossed   for Kalkan  to make it through  what looks like a challenging patch so to speak , Looking at our  HL stats   most of our  enquiries  & bookings have come through in April / May in previous years   so too early to tell for us 
Post by: Anne on March 30, 2016, 01:09:02 PM
I see the US has just ordered personnel out of parts of Turkey including Mugla http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35921053

Thought it might get better in April/May but this doesn't bode well. 
Post by: brian j p on March 30, 2016, 01:50:36 PM
To be quite honest ,   the US issues warnings to anyone traveling anywhere outside the US   . Reading the full article   they state exactly the same info as the UK gov   i.e. do not travel to the south east aka bordering Syria or Adana areas ,  they even admit there has been no  additional or specific  threats' that accounts for  their new warning about other areas such as Mugla , so why issue this additional warning then !      I suspect who has penned this article is in league with those same journalists from certain UK newspapers  and other  media outlet   inc the British Bias Corporation!  who simply hate Turkey 
Post by: DRBD on March 30, 2016, 02:45:18 PM
It's the families of US personal & diplomats ordered out of Turkey, not service personnel themselves.

The media have done Turkey no favours at all with their persistant negative reports etc., but surely if tourists/ general public were really interested in coming to Turkey they would find out abit more about the country, eg the size of it & geography to start with. Because most people now rely of social media, media in general , some simply just can't seem to think for themselves or make a decision without consultation, they just like to be lead by others. There are plenty who have minds of their own, to prove it they are either here are they are coming.
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 04, 2016, 03:23:26 PM
Is anybody there? Whats happening? ::)
Post by: Mayday1 on April 04, 2016, 04:13:59 PM
Earth calling Kalkaneers !! Come in please.......im sure I spotted a little bit of tumbleweed rolling on by. Does anyone know when the majority of the boats are craned back in and what progress is being made with the harbour restaurants /phase two of the harbour development.
Post by: Now retired on April 04, 2016, 05:45:47 PM
We came back to UK on Friday after 3 weeks in Kalkan.
As far as the new harbour restaurants are concerned Seaport were just starting to install their kitchen equipment and spraying chairs. None of the other new units had started getting ready up to last Friday.
The phase 2 plans have started and the wall has been dug back right up to Korsan Meze and Sunset (and I mean right up to them).
On Friday morning all that had been completed was the first layer of concrete to the ground to give a foundation for the retaining wall that has to be built before stone facing. This needs all the shuttering to be built and concrete poured in stages.
The plan is to have this finished for middle of May, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Also during phase 2 the lift is supposed to be installed which it appears will be in front of Black and Gold bar and Korsan Meze going down to the side of Kleo bar.
More of the restaurants were opening but Kalkan was very quiet with not many tourists around.
We are back in Kalkan on 2nd May so hopefully things will be a bit further on and more people will be out there.
Post by: DRBD on April 04, 2016, 05:59:03 PM
Well the phase 2 is underway well & truely & in all honesty it's a  real mess down there at the moment, can't make out really what is going on. The new restaurants are being worked on mainly by the occupiers but not a great deal seems to have happened since the last report, but must say some very smart outside lights been installed outside Seaport. The boats are or were on Friday still being worked on in some cases, remember it's still early days here. Quite a few more places being got ready, some up & running others taking it slowly. In some places there are still building sites & they will have to be cleaned up,  still alot of negativity at the moment. On the brighter side, the weather is just lovely, the last few days hot no wind or breeze.

Post by: Anne on April 25, 2016, 07:47:56 PM
Took a walk to Komerluk this afternoon, think there is a new road through to patara beach club area with a massive shoreline development next to Patara beach club which looks like a new beach club or possibly an extension to Patara Beach club.   Not seen any information on it anywhere.

Been really hot this last week, but today was cooler and cloudy, thought we were in for some rain but seemed to blow over.
Post by: Christina on April 26, 2016, 05:33:53 AM
I spoke to the site manager of the phase 2 development in his office yesterday. He confirmed that the project would not be finished by 15th May - it would have to wait until the next building season. He also said whilst neither the plans for a lift from Korsan to Kleo, nor the wooden bathing platforms into the sea would go ahead, they were considering making a water feature out of the freshwater stream that flows onto the beach.

I was surprised to hear that whilst the crumbling roadway outside the new harbour units would not be made good this season, they are prioritising the installation of eight ATM machines in the wall behind the beach.

It would be unfortunate if next year's planned development of phase three (the rest of the harbour) runs over schedule to this degree.
Post by: Babs on April 26, 2016, 08:07:06 AM
Unusual priorities?
With any luck it will take them so long to sort out phase two that they will leave phase three for longer and Kalkan will get to keep its charming harbour!
Bit concerned though about the road along the top where the Korsan is, presumably that will all be finished off or we'll be eating our breakfasts wearing a safety harness when we stay there later this year!  :o
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 26, 2016, 09:21:14 AM
I think the top road is cordoned off Babs just after Black and Gold. I seem to remember that they had an advertising banner all the way across the road just after their establishment - but I only looked in the dark so I can't be too sure, and I did have my cocktail goggles on  8) :o

I agree about the crumbling roadway by the new units Christina. We were only saying while we were there that in the dark, this is a real hazard as the surface is very uneven. I wonder what will happen with Fener too as there was no sign of life there recently?  ???
Post by: Holidaylover28 on April 26, 2016, 08:37:07 PM
That's a shame that its kind of going to be left like the recent pics on KTLN :(
so is korsan maze and fish terrace open with the works so close?
Post by: Babs on April 26, 2016, 08:48:07 PM
Last time I use a spy Lizilu........cocktail glasses, as the first holiday reporter of the season you were spposed to be alert at all times!  ;D ;D
Holidaylover, from what I remember from last year, the Korsan and Fish Terrace open early in May. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next few days?
Post by: Holidaylover28 on April 26, 2016, 08:58:43 PM
Good point babs, i forgot that not everyone is open yet. Hopefully the guys out there in Kalkan will keep us posted  ;)
Post by: caradog on May 07, 2016, 07:18:30 AM
Good point babs, i forgot that not everyone is open yet. Hopefully the guys out there in Kalkan will keep us posted  ;)
Well the road outside Korsan is still cordoned off, and there's no signs of life. While in theory they may be able to open the roof terrace, the outside terrace is impossible at this point in time.
Obviously no one learnt any lessons from last years failure to complete the harbour work by the beginning of the season. This year is a similar mess!
The beach has no attraction whatsoever, backing on to a building site. The new units look soulless and completely out of place, with one unit tastefully called "golden plate". The architects obviously had no concept of keeping things in character. The whole thing wouldn't be out of place in marmaris or
Benidorm. A little harsh perhaps and just my opinion, but sorry I find it very disappointing. Such is
progress I suppose.
On a more positive note the road behind the main drag, where iso's is located,is showing real signs of life and how redevelopment can be tastefully done. There are a number of new restaurants opening and the old town hotel looks an excellent place to stay or to stop for a coffee and cake.The road has real potential having come from almost nothing a few years ago. Personally would far rather eat somewhere like this than the new harbour units.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal