Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season 2015...2016  (Read 54222 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Out of Season 2015...2016
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2016, 05:02:14 PM »
Congratulations to Deniz of Seaport, he has won his place back down on the harbour today.  Now for a busy time.,
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »
I understand thee are just 3 units taken and Mehmet/Mussakka didn't join the bidding process, preferring to stay up on town.
I t will be interesting to see what happens now. Personally, I'd like Durali to expand Kleo Bar!!

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2016, 08:11:01 PM »
Time & money will tell. 

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2016, 09:29:39 PM »
I think it will be a very tough first year for those moving into the new units - enormous  rents and it seems a big drop in visitors.  Maybe Mehmet made the right decision?  I really wish them all the very best for the coming season.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
Have just seen on KTLN that the 7th annual survey is ready for you all to complete, it only takes a few minutes & of course is quite important so come on Kalkan lovers have your say.

Weather really is great here at the moment, spring flowers popping up around the areas,  daffodils & roses out at the same time in the garden, very different. We seem to have a couple of pairs of robins very busy in & out of the garden.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »
Not been down to the Harbour area for a couple of weeks or so as have been elsewhere but this morning we took a look.  Nothing much has happened in the area since our last visit, the insides of of new premises have been rendered & electric sockets etc in place. No workmen in sight working & their work hut all closed up so perhaps they are having a day off. Personally can not see these places ready for quite some time  yet, still lots of work to do, yes I know things can move very quickly here but not that quickly.

The new hotel that was the old house is really coming along, very smart & they were working on it this morning. Some very talented workmanship going on there.

The weather stays warm, last week was so warm & sunny it was t-shirt weather, no heating needed the last few evenings. We did have a storm early this morning with some rain but not a great deal.

The blossom is bursting out on a lot of trees now, just hope the weather doesnt change & knock it off, flowers are now blooming, lots of shrubs also gaining new leaf buds infact spring has sprung, some areas are full of colour with the wild flowers, the blue mauve of the anemones for example.  The sea in the bay was rather rough though, we witnessed a Turkish family on the beach having a great time when all of a sudden a big wave rolled in knocking a couple of youngsters to their feet & socking one of them completely, lots of laughter from the family but not the youngester concerned, lots of tears &  a bit of shock, plenty of wet clothes.

The new building next to Yali is still being worked on, still don't know who or what it is going to be so just waiting, sure somewhere someone knows.  Still building going on in places, one day nothing another day new brickwork appears but certainly not as much digger noise this winter near us anyway.

Bit cloudy now, the sun popping out inbetween the clouds, with a strong breeze.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:59:40 PM by DRBD »

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2016, 03:39:53 PM »
I agree with you DRBD that the workmanship on the new hotel looks excellent. I also noticed some tree houses have been built at Botanik Bar. I'm not sure how confident I would feel climbing down after a couple of cocktails!

As for the building next to Yali, I thought I saw a billboard in front of it with pictures of apartments. I thought that related to the building. I might be wrong though.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2016, 04:19:23 PM »
Yes have noticed that sign too but thought it might relate to the top floors which seems the norm, commercial premises underneath. Something to look forward to😈

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »
Those aren't Treehouses in Botanik garden....they are low cost appartments >:D :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2016, 09:04:18 AM »
The last few days here have been dry, very warm & sunny but oh the gale force winds are blowing, which it seems will not subside until we get some rain which is really needed owing to the so far dry winter.  Had a ride out the other day, the snow is fast disappearing from the mountaintops, even the  really high ones.  The trees are really in full blossom around the area now, to see them across from the mountain side overlooking Saribelen was quite breathtaking. Have been to check the damage again in the garden, some shrubs are looking again rather naked due to the winds sure mother nature will put it alright later but in the meantime there are leaves & debris everywhere. Some bulbs still struggling to make their spring showing, it is only early March so we could be in for some change in the weather.

It's been a sad time in Kalkan following the tragic death of Ilkers son at the weekend, most people are aware of Ilker if not by name by by the fact that he runs the stationery shop by the main roundabout & has helped tourist/expats alike with various things, the family are devastated as are their friends, our thoughts are with them at this time.

The sea in the bay is looking, apart from rough a big grey & dull, the sun has gone in, cloud building by  the looks of things so perhaps the rain is on the way, very muggy in doors, really want to open the doors but because of the winds that's out of the question, so the singing windows & doors will continue being tuneful for a while.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:55:18 PM by DRBD »

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
Fab report DRBD.Always look forward to hearing from you.Your post was almost poetic at times......"  so the singing windows & doors will continue being tuneful for a while." Your reports conjure up a great image for us of the Kalkan goings on,when we cant be there ourselves.

It was really sad to hear of Erdas' death.Very tragic for his family who we knew well,as did so many others around Kalkan.Our thoughts are with his family at this time.RIP Erda

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
Thanks Mayday1 kind of you, further though to my last, within the last 30 mins or so the winds have hightened to real gale force, we now have a large chorus going re the windows etc but watching from the inside there are numerous very large trees doing u bends & am sitting here watching the wind blowing large amounts of sea water across the bay in a thick spray, just like smoke. In the meantime we have just seen a very large amount od smoke coming off the mountainside opposite & flames leaping up into the air, not helped at all by this wind, very dangerous & very close to properties. The flames are getting more & more but the fire engine has just arrived, ....fingers crossed they get it under control very soon with this wind this could be very serious.. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:51:39 AM by DRBD »

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »
Oh no,not a  mountain fire.As you say,that could turn nasty very quickly especially with wild and strong winds.There is always something dramatic happening,it seems,in paradise.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
Fortunately the fire was put out but not until it caused a bit of damage to the mountainside, it seemed to have started just below the Mediterran hotel burning downwards but thankfully not too much damage it seems, we had a power cut for a short while so perhaps that was also caused by the fire. The fire engine is still in situ.  Unfortunately the wind has continued to blow  like fury, things flying about, quite an effort to walk about, so now tucked up indoors, at this moment its far from being  'Paradise'.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »
Pleased the fire is out.Take your point about it not being "Paradise" at the moment.....In the Uk,we have storm "Jake" doing its worse so it is not really anything like paradise here either.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »
BLizard:   re " Those aren't Treehouses in Botanik garden....they are low cost appartments"

Really made me laugh ,   wonder what the rents are 

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2016, 06:28:14 AM »
Had a walk around yesterday, the weather was just fantastic after a week with high winds & rain & chilly evenings. Not much happening with the new units , Seaport has equipment inside but it seems there have had to be some alterations done inside to accommodate some of it &also build a 2nd toilet as these units were built with only one & licencing requirements are 2. The work on phase 2 is underway, they have dug some of the rock face, cleared the greenery &  the road above is taped off which is just as well as it has become extremely narrow & unsafe all a bit scarey. The area is just a mess & there is a lot of work to be done.  There is a bit of activity now in & around the town with getting places opened & tided up but not a great deal. Spoke to several business owners who are not really aiming to be ready until May, yavas yavas is what we were told. Nothing done on the new building next to Yali due to the tragic death of owner last week  but perhaps this week things will re-commence.   Today's weather is forecast as being rather hot so may have to get a bit of sunbathing in, after the chores.

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »
Lovely to have your report to read with my breakfast this morning.
Thank you for taking the time to do this, I look forward to them.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »
Hi DRBD,
Thanks for a fab report as always.Sounds as if there is a gradual wind up towards the start of the season but no rush !! I am hoping that there are plenty of visitors this year and I am sure that is what the locals want as well.

We have a lovely sunny day here but it is freezing and certainly not sun bathing weather........so get the chores done quickly and get out on those sun beds...........I am,as they say... JEALOUS !!

I have to wait until mid April.......cant wait to return.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2016, 05:27:08 PM »
Thanks for keeping us informed, DRBD, always good to hear what's going on in Kalkan.
KTLN have posted pictures of Phase 2 at the harbour and I have to say digging into the rockface always worries me...quite a big slice has been taken out which leaves the top road in a very precarious position. I'm hoping (and praying) some sort of structural survey was carried out before the plans were passed...assurances would be good from anyone who may be in the know :-\
It isn't that long ago there was a serious rock fall a bit further along from here...I still quicken my pace when walking past the spot.

It did make me laugh to read the units were built with only 1 WC when the licencing laws require two ;D ;D Purpose built units, not built for purpose..only in Turkey ::) ::) Hope they can sort it in time for the new season - so looking forward to visiting these restaurants and bars in particular.

How very sad to hear the owner of the new building near Yali has passed away suddenly.

Hopefully now there's some activity in the town, you'll be able to post more news...she says..hopefully...!  :-* In between chores and sunbathing of course. All scraps gratefully received  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Villa owners, are you getting many bookings for 2015 season

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

37 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
The end of the summer......2015

Started by DRBD on Weather

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 08:46:37 PM
by DRBD
xx
What's new in Kalkan 2015

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 01:37:58 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
13-20 April 2015

Started by pw on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

On the Med

Views: 4533
By: misty
yacht