Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season updates  (Read 103894 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Out of Season updates
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »
Oh dear another bit of prime planning then. Did think the entrance to the reception area was quite away down, as you get older the steps/stairs/hills become an issue in & around this area.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:03:15 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
Today, after the high tides and rough seas, all the pebbles on the town beach have been washed away, and now there is real, natural sand - just like Patara. It looks so beautiful.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »
Why do they pebble it? I would use the beach if it was sandy!

re-branded & abbreviated

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »
it looks beautiful...thanks for posting that photo Christina.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »
Town beach sandy? I know I'm easily confused but..........
So the beach is naturally sandy and then pebbles are brought in to cover it? Personally I prefer pebble beaches but that is so bizarre.......does anyone know why?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2015, 12:49:53 AM »
Fingers crossed it stays sans pebbles!  8)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2015, 07:18:15 AM »
Due to the weather yesterday the sea changed colour in quite a few ways, grey, blue, muddy brown & it was very rough just watching from indoors.  The other week there was what appeared to a pile of rubble dumped there which due to the weather/waves it has now gone.  Today after a very wet blustery NYD, spent indoors around the fire in front of the TV, the sun is out & the wind gone. Not sure what was in that  rain yesterday but the windows are very dirty this morning, only cleaned last week!!!   Now for drying out again, there has been a great deal of rain over the last few days, could do with a warm day today.
It's been a disappointing Festive season weather wise & for those who came over just for it, do hope you had a good time regardless, it seems to have been very quiet in Kalkan.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »
The good news is there is glorious warm sunshine and blue skies today, and everyone is swapping New Year's Eve stories at Fener Cafe. Still a few sore heads around by all accounts. The bad news is the sand has gone from the beach as quickly as it arrived during the rough tide yesterday. It was quite an impressive sight so I thought I would share a couple of photos ...

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
And this ...

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »
Yes certainly back to pebbles etc & sadly a few dogs are not helping by using the beach as their toilet. The waves are still strong but oh that sunshine is just lovely. The town looks a bit of a mess after the rain & wind, lots of debris & stones/grit on the roads & walking areas which added to building materials is not doing much for the 'image'  of Kalkan.  The burnt out rubbish is still in situ on the harbour giving out that damp burnt smell.
Chilled a bit now, sun is still out & warm but there is still plenty of cloud, nice to see people out & about today catching up  & enjoying the brighter day. Children on holiday so some on the beach playing the waves.   

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
Yes certainly back to pebbles etc & sadly a few dogs are not helping by using the beach as their toilet. The waves are still strong but oh that sunshine is just lovely. The town looks a bit of a mess after the rain & wind, lots of debris & stones/grit on the roads & walking areas which added to building materials is not doing much for the 'image'  of Kalkan.  The burnt out rubbish is still in situ on the harbour giving out that damp burnt smell.
Chilled a bit now, sun is still out & warm but there is still plenty of cloud, nice to see people out & about today catching up  & enjoying the brighter day. Children on holiday so some on the beach playing the waves.

DRBD. I think the image you paint of Kalkan may well be the last straw for those who have considered Kalkan for an Festive break. Last years fiasco with the roads and this years unfortunate fire looks like it will put a few off coming to Kakan for their Festive break. The restaurant guys wont stay open if there is no demand. The dig s**t on the beach is an attractive vision especially for those families trying to entertain young children. Surely it us not beyong the powers of The Beleydise to make the beach a dog free zone?

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »
Happy days,It would indeed be happy days if we could keep the dogs off the beach.The Beledye could put up signs saying that its a dog free zone,but all the dogs,including all the street dogs cant read so I think it is impossible to monitor.

There are too many dogs roaming around the town,to police this.Once the town is rid of the dog problem,this would result in less pooh,on the streets and beach
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:50:59 PM by Mayday1 »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2015, 04:25:22 PM »
happy days ... sorry if the telling the real facts is off putting to some but I must correct you re last years festive season, yes there was a problem with the roads etc but the weather was great in fact it was a  very warm winter, NYE on the harbour was fantastic & NYD even better, sadly not this year. When I started the updates I did say, warts & all.  This is the building season so there is cement, sand, & various building materials about, Kalkan is a totally a different place in the winter, if people are put off by the weather they would certainly be put off by the sound of such things as the diggers of which there have been plenty, it's what happens here in winter.  As I said earlier the weather today has been lovely & we have had a walk down to the harbour sat & enjoyed the sun had a catch up chat with friends a bit of shopping & home. 
The children I mentioned by the way were Turkish & they were having great fun.

Sorry if I have clouded anyones views of Kalkan in the winter, but there are still some here enjoying their break.       

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2015, 05:46:34 PM »
So...two days ago the beach was made of pebbles, then yesterday of sand, then today of pebbles..? Have I had one too many over the festive period?

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »
Thanks for keeping us updated DRBD. You did say "warts and all". It's a shame that the weather over the festive period has not been as good as usual and I'm sure that that and the recent fire and uncertainty about what will happen when has dampened spirits a little. I love the little snippets of info though about people wandering down to the harbour, catching up with friends etc. Just shows that despite everything thrown at people that Kalkan is still a friendly, beautiful place. Seems I am alone in being glad that the pebbles are back on the beach?  ???
Ps mayday I love your comment about dogs not being able to read signs!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »
I'm really enjoying your snapshots of out of season life in Kalkan and loving the fact you are being realistic about life in the place most of us usually only make visits to. I wouldn't be put off coming out of season by what I have read and indeed do hope to be there during the close season sometime in the future. Thanks again

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2015, 06:37:12 AM »
I think it's important for any prospective first-time winter visitors here to manage their expectations and prepare themselves for what they might find. No - it is not all rainbows and lollipops like in high season, but - for me at least -  in winter the town has a different kind of charm. There are some wonderful videos on Facebook of the fireworks and dancing at Aubergine on NYE, as well as the wild sea on NY Day. The Christmas trees, fairy lights and log fires make the bars particularly welcoming. Lots of fabulous and cheap local produce around for those who enjoy cooking at home. The atmosphere is much more relaxed and you tend to strike up more acquaintances with locals and visitors alike - without the hurly burly and distractions of the full-on and frantic high season Kalkan that many people are familiar with.

Last year was wonderfully warm, but I'd recommend that anyone in a rental apartment makes sure it is equipped for a winter let. For instance I have electric blankets, furry hot water bottles, cast iron stove, oil filled rad, fan heater, pashminas, throws and a slow cooker - just in case there is a nip in the air at night. Last winter I needed none of these, but last night I was grateful for the lecky blanket to air the bed after the walk back from my nightcap at Aubergine.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »
You are so right Christina, anyone contemplating coming out here in the winter for the first time, be it Christmas or whenever really needs to do a bit of homework. When we first came out some years ago it was January, when the sun was out, fantastic but when that rain came down goodness I have never seen water running so fast over the mountain sides etc. it was an education, thankfully I had been to good old Woolworths & bought hot water bottles & we did have an open fire. There is also a tranquil atmosphere here now especially in the old town area, people have time to catch up with their friends some of whom they never see in the summer season, the chaps playing backgammon & drinking tea, the ladies having a good old chat with their friends & families walking about together & not just on Sundays.

Kalkan has, as far as I am concerned has 2 seasons, summer tourist & winter building, separated by when one is officially started & the other officially ends (or should be). The winter is totally different, there is not the usual cleaning up of the streets out side the shops by the shop keepers as most of them are closed, the builders are not that good at cleaning up after themselves especially on the big sites so there is mess, boots or heavy shoes are the order of the day mostly for getting about. The digger near by has just finished, but the cement pumper & cement mixer may be back later this evening as it has been the last couple, finishing about 8pm 

Today has been lovely as was yesterday, it is now chilling down, our house now is chilly as the sun has gone off it but I can see a weak sun still on the mountainside, I will be lighting the wood burner very soon.  We have managed to get some outside jobs done, even a sit in the sunshine, its nice to have dry weather after the last few days.

So if you fancy Kalkan in the winter give it a try, just remember to bring a bit more clothing, make sure you will be warm indoors wherever you stay, am sure the building will continue so be aware, its a builder paradise here & when it rains it hammers down.

Got to light the fire now.......................   

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
So, can someone explain what the deal is with the beach please? Is it a sandy beach that has pebbles PUT on it, or was what happened on new year just an oddity caused by the seas?   I must admit, i have been put off using the beach because of the getting in and out of the sea! I struggle to see how it is possible whilst maintaining some dignity!

We tend to head for kalkan beach park as it is easy to get in and out of the sea by the slide!

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2015, 03:30:02 PM »
Thank you, Haybo, for bringing this up again. I. too, am vey confused by this and, like you, tend to avoid the town beach in high season for the pure reason that getting around on pebbles is a challenge, particularly in and out of the sea. So, is it a pebble beach that was covered in sand, a sandy beach that was covered in pebbles (which went away and then mysteriously...came back!) or what??

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
IN SEASON UPDATES.

Started by DRBD on General Discussion

97 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 06:20:05 PM
by Charlie
smiley
SEASON'S GREETINGS

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 12:56:06 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Getting ready for the season

Started by alantj on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 03:56:15 PM
by alantj
question
Close Season

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

34 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 10:47:26 AM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal