Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season updates  (Read 103758 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Out of Season updates
« on: November 08, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
What we have to accept the weather is changing over many countries. The Uk have had a good autumn, so has this area but we did get some really heavy  rains 2 wks  ago, we were ankle deep in water trying to stop water seeping into our rooms on the the  ground floor, it lasted for approx 3hrs,  the sun then came out & we were saved. We were however soaked & in dire need of a hot bath!!!  Since then weather changed & it's been fab. The gale here has been blowing for approx 20 hrs,  it's warm but some damage has been caused
in some places, broken glass etc. Certainly has caused a chill to the air.

Most people here, especially the locals,  hate the high winds,  it causes so much damage & we all find out just how musical our doors & windows  are.  An interesting  thought as to how well the propertiesl are built, much better now than say 10 yes ago.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12496.0
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Out of Season updates
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »
Thanks so much for keeping us informed about life in Kalkan out of season, DRBD. I think those of us who only visit during the holiday times can't appreciate just how different it is during Winter. Certainly in terms of building work.....it must be awful to listen to that level of building noise day in day out.....along with the asscociated mess. I hope you can carry on keeping us updated whenever you can. Thanks  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:11:27 AM »
K4E... Not sure things are any different to a holiday resort in the UK, you only get to know what is what when you are there & what you like dislike. There must be many places in, for example Devon & Cornwall, that are now so quiet that the tourist season is over. Not sure that they would have the building schemes as here though !!!!!!

Well back to Kalkan, the gales lasted until the early hours of Sunday then it was the thunder storm & rain.  Many trees & shrubs are now well & truly pruned & missing their leaves, we have a tree outside our kitchen balcony which blooms with lovely blue flowers which the bees & flying insect love, this morning there are none for them to hover on so they are just flying away.  Those of you know of the lovely swimming pools sparkling in the sunshine all clean & clear, well they are now mostly covered in leaves & other debris & like ours that was empty, have now got approx. 3inches of water back in them from yesterdays down pours.  At least it stopped the building for a while, yesterday afternoon it brightened up the wind dropped a little & the building re-commenced where they could, cement pumpers can be seen up on the mountain side from where we are, strange looking things, remind me of a praying mantis, they were working up there last night as there were some very powerful lights  shining.

It is olive harvesting time here now so in many places plastic sheeting can be seen under the trees & the ladies & a few men collecting the black olives to be taken to the factory for pressing to get their oil, it seems its a good year so lots now on the ground from the harsh gales.

Today is warm & sunny & dry a hint of a breeze so for the time being back to normal.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
Thanks for taking up the mantle of letting us know what the weather etc is doing outside of tourist season...quite ironic that building on the hillsides is gathering pace as that is mostly to blame for the problems with gushing water down the hillsides into kalkans streets(my opinion )Olive groves , trees and shrubs and natures natural soak aways being concreted over ::) still I suppose that's progress (isn't it?) ;)

People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »
Thanks DRBD, really enjoying the updates. Not many olive groves left these days - well probably not as many as there used to be. I certainly hadn't appreciated that they were actually harvested - you learn something new every day. Yes, I think I was referring to the building work out of season, its sounds prettty horrendous (floodlights hadn't occurred to me either :( )....and there are still so many unsold properties you would think the work would be slowing down  ::). As BL says, there's no natural soak aways with all that concrete so flooding is inevitable....lets hope for all your sakes you are blessed with a similar winter to last year  -  our Turkish friends tell us it was unusually dry which I think was a godsend with all the roads in the village up. Hopefully you will have time to continue to update us, DRBD, I'm keen to hear more when you can. Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:47:34 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
Thanks for the great update so interesting to hear what happens weatherwise during the winter as all most of us remember is idyllic, dry, sunny kalkan. Weather pretty awful here yesterday, hard to sleep with the high winds and rain lashing at the windows all night. Mind you, can be expected living high up where we can be quite exposed. Can't complain though at least we don't get the dreadful flooding that the flatter areas get. Floods in kalkan just can't picture it the only rain we've seen in ten visits was a light shower on the way back to the airport last time. Hope the weather keeps drier out there for you and you can enjoy a pleasant flood free winter.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
The weather has returned to be warm & sunny, we had a ride out to Saklikent yesterday, fab, about 10 people there, a glass of cay & a pancake, bliss. Lots going on in the surrounding areas of Kalkan re harvesting olives, getting fields ploughed etc. The pomegranates seem to be almost finished now so was busy with the fruit juicer last night. There seems to be some very local building springing up in the town, every day there is either a big hole already cleared or being cleared.These buildings appear to what seems nowhere at times.
Been to the beach at Kumluova today, no a soul about, heaven.

Someone mentioned last winter, yes it was very mild, one week  at the beginning of December when there was a bitterly cold wind that found all the uncovered spots but after that it was good until May when we had the almost hurricane winds. This November so far has been really lovely apart from last w/e but it's not cold, we are still in t shirts & shorts.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:08:56 PM by DRBD »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:07:18 PM »
Sounds lovely, DRBD. I can't imagine beaches without people - must be wonderful, particularly if the weather is being kind to you. T-shirts and shorts in November cant be bad..?
Thanks for the updates  :)

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
Just booked my  early season  2015  holiday  flights ::::::Leeds /Dalaman  return with Monarch -April 27th - May 16th  X2  inc  pre booked seat number , £315  all in , I could not give up a opportunity at that price,   booking flights out of season  for out of season tends to get some great prices being on offer ,  and one of my favourite times to visit   along with Sept/Oct. I must admit I would love to go out over xmas /new year  and intend to do this at some point in future , maybe in a few years time , but kids still want good old  mum & dad at home in UK for xmas , even  though they are in their 20s -30s ha ha.   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:18:49 PM by brian j p »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
Well we were all woken up in the early hours this morning by the very loud & deafening sounds of thunder, & flashes from the electric storm.  At 9am it was a black as the middle of the night & we got very heavy rain, which then turned to large hailstones & back to rain.  Yet again out on the terrace trying to deal with the drains, one can have too much of a good thing & I think we have had it now, one thing is determined, our house & terrace/garden is not level.  It's now 12.30 & the sun is shining a bit but at least the rain has stopped which is just as well as we were both soaked through.  Very hot bath & hot chocolate with a 'splash' of something in it to revive the spirits was required. Bit breezy now but at least the diggers are quiet.

Yesterday which was a bit cloudy but warm we spotted a few more diggers in & around the town, the sun shining on them as they move about, have spotted an olive grove very close to us where the ladies were harvesting last week, now seems to have had several of the trees cut right down so perhaps another building site is to follow, what a shame, with so many properties not sold, not finished, or up for re-sale anymore building is really just insane.

Off to a wedding celebration today in the old town, not the best of days for it, the 'ball' is tomorrow at the bus station, so hope it's better weather otherwise there will be a few very soggy people, wellies at the ready.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 07:37:54 AM »
The weather has been dry for the last 2 days with sunshine & warmth.  For those of you who are property owners & not here at the moment, I would advise you to make sure that your property manager has either checked or is checking for any damage etc as it appears there was quite a lot of flooding to villas/apartments.

We had a ride out to Islamlar & Berzigan yesterday, the road to Islamlar was in a bad state & not just due to the heavy lorries, the storm rain has left a lot of debris.  Berzigan has also had flooding, some of the fields are water logged & there is evidence of some flooding to the roads, so this drier weather must be a god send to those living in there. There were many clearing up the mess.  Of course the diggers are are now making up for lost time & we may be seeing the cement lorries & cement pumpers today or as I call them the praying mantis.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
I did see some awful scenes of the deluge in Kalkan on social media - absolutely dreadful. At least no-one was hurt, but I would imagine, looking at some of the footage, there would be significant damage to certain properties. The roads dont look as though they can cope with the cascading water...let alone buildings. I hope the clean-up operation is not uncovering any severe damage and thanks for keeping us updated with everything, DRBD.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 06:14:55 PM »
The pictures and video posted by ktln are amazing -in a scary way! It is so awesome to see the water make its way down, but i feel for the residents and the mess that is left. Heres to a less stormy winter!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
It is now almost 21.00hrs here & we can hear the end of today's building,  it started at 08.15 this morning  near us. The site is even bigger now than we first thought & another olive grove has gone. We have been down to the beach & seen turtles to day,  so pleased they are still around. So peaceful & warm at the Pinar & we saw someone swimming in the bay.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 07:08:12 PM »
Where in Kalkan is your property DRBD?

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 07:00:23 AM »
Close to the Thursday market  ;)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
Does that mean the olive grove on the left as you go up the hill to the school from the market is going?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
Does that mean Olive wood spoons will be cheaper on the market next year >:D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »
Its such a shame that more green space is being converted into buildings....so much for the new administration clamping down on that :( The flooding will only get worse if there's no natural soakaways ::)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »
K regular, no that is still there, the olive grove on the side of Cafe Ev further up has gone, but we understand that it is owned by the same person. We were told earlier in the year by several people,,that building was going to happen on that plot, time & diggers will tell.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
IN SEASON UPDATES.

Started by DRBD on General Discussion

97 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 06:20:05 PM
by Charlie
smiley
SEASON'S GREETINGS

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 12:56:06 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Kalkan Out of Season

Started by Firecat on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 06:52:32 PM
by Em1
xx
1st Season as Owners

Started by Kalkan Gems on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 06:13:47 AM
by Haybo

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal