Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season updates  (Read 103892 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Out of Season updates
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »
In UK, we are encouraged to "buy local"...there are more and more campaigns about the local independent shop v superlarge supermarket. We buy some local produce and some that has the airmiles but tend to buy for quality and price mostly. I make a point of buying Turkish cherries in the UK in July as they are heavenly...towels are invariably made in Turkey (as BL says) plus bedding.
I think you are right about the European Union thing, though DRBD, importing and exporting outside eurozone is costly. I've bought things directly from China that have had a stop-over in Germany and when I've enquired about this the sellers tell me its a Customs and Excise thing. who knows..?
In the meantime, you've convinced us to try Finike next year...we always drive past the sign and wonder whether we should go. A nice harbour town with boats sells it for us :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
I was talking about such things like the olives rather than other items.  ;)  I have some lovely hand towels &tea towels made in Turkey & purchased in Kent, now here in Kalkan.. The cherries are just super, have to agree, full of flavour & juicy.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:25:11 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »
I love my turkish towels but the cherries here in Kent are the best!  :laugh:

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »
Babs, the cherries in Kent have a lot of competition with the ones here especially those grown around the Istanbul/Bursa areas.  Having lived in 'The Garden of England' for over 40yrs, mind you we were in the compost area, I would say that the strawberries are the best from Kent.  They even had fab apples at one time until the EU stared making demands. 
Could really go for a nice plate of parsnips at this moment. ;)

Sunny & dry this morning, the last 3 days have been really lovely weatherwise , OH even back in his shorts & I left my vest off !!!!!!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
ooooh I do hope you didnt walk around the village without your vest, DRBD  :-*
UK strawberries are the best but have to disagree with you Babs on the cherries. Always buy Turkish, they are amazing and practically live on them when we are there in June.
We are in danger of this converstion being hived off into a new thread about fruit  :o

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »
Back on track now.........have been speaking to a Turkish  friend this morning, he had just finished along with other members of his family harvesting their olives, 500 kilos, on the way to the pressing factory as we spoke, what a back breaking job, but plenty of oil for them all. He said there a very little amount of snow on the mountains tops, not good it seems, the snow is needed so that it melts slowly later, we have had too much rain which just drains into the sea. All very interesting.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
500 kilos!!!..My olive tree in my Garden has 3..not kilos I mean 3 olives!!..my pressing will take place shortly with 2 bricks being used,  I doubt I will get enough to oil the wheels on a  flea circus bike ....Love seeing snow on the mountain tops on the Dalaman route in the heat of summer!! ;)
(hope all is peaceful for you and the diggers have still gone)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
BL be very careful with the two bricks as we don't want any accidents and VERY high pitch screams.

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »
It'll be fine as long as you keep your thumbs (and other bits) clear.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
BL... Thanks the diggers are all gone, there are now the cement pumpers & lorries, they seem to be moving really fast now on the site, there has been some skilled brickwork done on new retaining walls. They are working a full 12 hrs most days.  It is a good sight seeing the snow on the mountain tops, we have walked Kumulova  beach a few times on Boxing Day, beautiful sunshine then look back up to the mountains tops covered in snow.Good luck with the olives, yavas yavas.   

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »
My olive pressing will be carried out in a Onesie..... nothing will be flapping  near the bricks >:D :-X

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »
Will you use your drop of lizardy produced olive oil to fry your Christmas dinner chipolatas in BL?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:31:40 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
BL As I said,take great care of your olives,and keep the bricks well clear of your chipolata on Christmas day...............or any other day !
Will the onesie get a Christmas day outing ?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:27:16 PM by Mayday1 »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »
Well the weather at the moment is far too good to be wearing a Onesie,  it's shorts & t shirts,  been in the garden trying  to prune back some of the trees & bushes, everything is just sprouting away after all the recent rain we suppose, the roses are looking lovely lots of buds & bloom, daffodil bulbs ready to burst into flower & tulips coming through. On of the lemon trees I noticed has new tiny lemons on it, we are still waiting for the big ones to ripen a bit more, lemon drizzle cake on the agenda.   

The sound of just a few diggers near us today but lots of work taking place on on & around the buildings that are getting built,  some getting higher by the day. The site near us had the cement pumper there again last night about 8pm.

Back out in the garden get a bit more done........

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2014, 06:50:04 AM »
Well that's Christmas over for another year, the weather was not as good this year, more rain & it's colder, there is smell of wood smoke from the wood burners around the town. This morning is very damp the cloud sitting on top of the mountain. Kalkan is quiet regarding people, still a few residents in the UK visiting, others have returned from their various Christmas breaks. Now all waiting for the NYE celebrations, weather permitting. The building is still rushing on not quite so many diggers close to us but cement mixers & pumpers are busy.

Happy NY to all & hope those of you in the UK & snow bound get out of it soon.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »
Thanks DRBD for the informative update.Here in the south midlands,we have got away with no snow,but last night was the  coldest night of the winter so far..........lots of frost on everything.

Regarding the building work,do you know what is happening regarding The Allegra hotel.on the service road in Komurluk.It was bought for redevelopment and wondered if they are keeping the existing structure or is it being demolished and re built. ?

A very happy new year to you DRBD and all " Enjoy Kalkanites "

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
Mayday1. ... not sure about the Allegra. .... we went to the contents sale earlier along with quite a few others, never been there before, wow what a super location.  Have heard several comments re it's future, have not been along there since the sale, can just see it from ours but not to say if anything at this time is happening.

No frost here but plenty of dark cloud & wet, the locals are concerned re the lack of snow on the mountains still though. We had very heavy rain & hailstones Saturday evening.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
What a shame about Allegra. Lovely hotel in a lovely situation and very warm, welcoming staff. I would imagine it would be turned into apartments in that location....let's hope the new owners are sympathetic to the surrounding area.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2014, 06:50:35 AM »
Sadly not sure there are many, who are involved in building here are sympathetic to the surroundings, just sitting in doors & able to see or walking around parts of Kalkan show that. Concrete & chrome jungle favoured rather than green mountainside & olive groves. 

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »
Hi DRBD thanks for  the info on Allegra.I know there is also a problem with flooding as there is a storm drain close by,and the Allegra was flooded.Any new development must take account of this...........otherwise my advice to potential purchasers of the new apartments would be.............Avoid the ground and lower ground apartments !

Happy new year to everyone.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
IN SEASON UPDATES.

Started by DRBD on General Discussion

97 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 06:20:05 PM
by Charlie
smiley
SEASON'S GREETINGS

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 12:56:06 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
1st Season as Owners

Started by Kalkan Gems on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 06:13:47 AM
by Haybo
grin
This Season's Highlights

Started by SarahS on Holiday Reports and Reviews

17 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 06:21:55 PM
by Chris18648

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal