Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season updates  (Read 103739 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Out of Season updates
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
Well most of you have heard about the awful fire down by the harbour & seen some photos. We were going down there for a walk after doing a few chores before we heard the news.  Off we went this morning into the town which was so quiet, down to the PTT to post some cards, I was the only customer, job done then off to the beach area.  A cuppa at Pinar (the Turkish tea garden) & then a slow walk by the devastated restaurants.  The first sight was the Kleo Bar, a burnt out mess then Sea Port again, poor Deniz says he has lost everything & was in a state of shock. On speaking to a couple of residents who live close by, they were woken by the noise approx. 03.30 & then saw the flames.  Thankfully no one was injured, sadly there was the loss of one street dog.  The premises lost are Yakamoz along to Kleo Bar.  The atmosphere was of stunned shock by most of the locals viewing the scene.  They were waiting for the authorities from Antalya to arrive, the mayor from Kas & several others including member of the Jandarma to assess the situation.

We then walked down onto the harbour & along past the boats being worked on & sat looking across the harbour.  The weather today has been warm but cloudy & dull, it fitted the mood really.

A walk back up the town & everyone was of course talking about the fire, also some not suffering are now thinking they may be able to cash in for the Christmas/New Year  period, wasn't too impressed on hearing a couple of comments. 

We got back home to the noise of the diggers near us, there are 2 now on the site which is going deeper, think they must be going down under.  The weather has now turned to a high wind but still not too chilly, the windows are beginning to sing !!!!! So all in all a sad day for Kalkan but am sure they will recover very quickly. 

Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
Yes, there is a palpable feeling of despondency about the town today.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
Such a sad day for Kalkan - I do hope those that have lost their premises will be able to recover for the new season - I know Kleo and Mussakka were still open. Indeed - Mussakka were taking bookings for New Year's Eve. The buildings are old and lets pray the damage isn't structural and they can be repaired and preserved and the frontages rebuilt - but who knows with the proposed Harbour changes..? So very sad also that a street dog did not survive - so many pictures and postings today on social media, you can almost feel the devastation. We should be thankful that no-one was hurt or loss of life more extensive. If someone is setting up a fund to help those affected, I would be happy donate. There isnt a premises along that stretch that we have not frequented over the years and they are all part of our special Kalkan memories.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »
Yes our heart goes out to all those involved and we hope they had some insurance that will let them start again. They must be heartbroken.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 08:05:52 PM »
Some of the original buildings go back many many years.  Sadly am sure not all insured, we can but hope however that they get back on their feet.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2014, 12:19:55 PM »
Well Kalkan is very quiet today you could almost hear a pin drop, it is a typical wet Sunday, yesterday the weather was just lovely, really hot at times,l the diggers near us are silent & gone, but there is plenty of thick red mud left on the road. Can hear a few other diggers in the back ground. Today is the annual Christmas Fair in Calis quite a large number of residents have gone there to stock up on the festive goodies & prezzies.
The burnt out premises are still taped off, the remains & debris still in place as there is an investigation re the cause of the fire down at the harbour, one or 2 other restaurants not affected are doing lunches for the festive times, so a some lose out, others gain.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
Thanks for keeping us updated, DRBD.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2014, 07:02:57 AM »
Well that was a wet & windy night, thunderstorms, some quite heavy but steady rain. This morning is chilly, windy & it's still raining, so to those of you who call Kalkan 'paradise' today so far it isn't, but am sure it's warmer than the UK. It's a very clear view over the mountain so let's hope that's a good sign. This time last year we had just got into a warm period after a week of very hard bitterly cold winds.
Popped into Migros the w/e they have a small festive display with Christmas tree, tiny, & coloured lights, with little ornaments,  reminds us all of the time of year, it's so nice no Christmas pressure here.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2014, 06:48:58 AM »
Well that was a very blustery Thursday afternoon, evening, then in the early hours of this morning a storm, very loud thunder which just bounces off the mountain sides. The Thursday market was again small, just the main stall holders but not setting up until late morning in some cases, last week there were hardly any stalls at all.  Had a stroll down to the harbour on Wednesday, saw & spoke to one of the owners of the the burnt out restaurant's, he had been waiting for 3 days for more officials to come & inspect the property also for the main structures to be inspected re damage. He was at that time still waiting. The debris is still in place but the street dogs seem to the finding some new places to lay their heads. This time last year we had the dug up roads situation & walking down to the harbour was a problem,  this year the fire situation & not so good weather, but the sun is at this shining.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2014, 01:18:37 PM »
Oh dear, seems such a shame the restaurant owners aren't able to start work repairing and rebuilding - although the new proposals for the harbour may have some bearing on this.
At least the sun is shining in Kalkan to day - here in the UK we are in the midst of a phenomenon called a weather bomb....I kid you not!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2014, 01:09:40 PM »
K4E,  we have just had it ;)    today is just fantastic though. Been again for a walk down to the harbour, almost perfect, spoke again to an owner of one of the damaged premises, it seems to get sadder, they are still waiting, suggested he perhaps go out for the day, he said impossible, every day all the owners are being called by the Jardama to go & sign papers etc. Today it is good to see people about & looking relieved we have some good weather. Fresh new season oranges being sold from the back of a car by the man from Kinik,  which is the orange growing area in these parts. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:56:06 PM by DRBD »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2014, 01:30:48 PM »
such a shame it takes so long for insurance company's to cough up,I suppose everything has to be investigated thoroughly..they sure take you payments quick enough!!!and I imagine it's worse in Turkey than the uk with the turkish liking for paperwork ::)  The weather bomb has fizzed out(this used to be called bad weather,Black Friday was called a busy friday and cyber Monday called a  busy Monday  ;D Has the Orange man got any chocolate ones?? :angel:   
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:32:43 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »
I'm really enjoying this rhread and your updates DRBD. I bet those oranges taste so good.
Here in snowy Lancashire its all systems go. The xmas shopping frenzy is underway and I'm already sick of hearing piped "simply having a wonderful xmas time' while jostling with other frazzled shoppers for the 2 for 1's selection boxes.
I adore Christmas itself but certainly not the commercial aspects!
Me and OH are going to try and stay awake for the meteor shower tonight. Hope the snow flurries stop then the sky will be clear.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2014, 07:02:04 AM »
The fresh oranges are really lovely I have to say, Kinik is only a small area/village, the main orange growing area is further along the coast at Finike,  a rather nice town with a very large harbour for those lovely boats. This country grows so much in different areas of the country it really is an education when you travel about it. We watched a program the other day about the bad olive harvest in Italy, here its been a good one, but where do you see 'produced in Turkey'. Beautiful morning again today just hope it stays that way, mind you it shows the windows need cleaning Ugh!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:10:20 AM by DRBD »

Offline janjeff

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
We are so sad to hear all about the fire, we had a table for 4 people booked in at Moussaka on New Years E :(ve, does anyone know if it's now worth our while coming into Kalkan as we have to travel along way to get there

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »
janjeff. ........ I am sure that NY will be just fine as always, there are other places opening for the festive season, it just depends what you want & how you feel about it, many people in similar position as yourselves sadly.     

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
but where do you see 'produced in Turkey'?

Try M&S. A lot of their stuff has that label.

Must say DBRD that I'm glad that you posted how good the new season oranges are. I can't wait to get some from the market on Thursday and squeeze them for my pre-breakfast wake up call on Friday. Mmmm
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2014, 09:49:45 PM »
A lot of M &S  clothing was made in Bursa some time ago  it was the textile area of turkey but not so much
 now, the factories are closed, we have seen them. A great deal of the  produce is exported to such places as Bulgaria to name just one county.      Agreed there are products in the supermarkets that have the label of made/produced in Turkey but out numbered by other countries. Maybe thing something to do with in or out of the Europe.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
Those lovely fluffy towels from Next made in Turkey...,My new T shirt from River Island made in Turkey...and my huge New  Beko Fridge Freezer where I store my Sausages made in Turkey...very pleased with quality of all ;) ;)

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »
All Ford Transit vans made from 2013 in the UK and Europe are made in Turkey. Ford Connect vans have been made in Turkey for many years.
Thanks so much DRDB for the out of season updates - really enjoy reading them. We are not back in Kalkan until April.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
IN SEASON UPDATES.

Started by DRBD on General Discussion

97 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 06:20:05 PM
by Charlie
smiley
SEASON'S GREETINGS

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 12:56:06 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Renting a car this season

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 10:27:23 AM
by baclava
xx
Getting ready for the season

Started by alantj on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 03:56:15 PM
by alantj

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal