Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Joyce's adventures in wonderland  (Read 36638 times)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Joyce's adventures in wonderland
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »
So it's quarter past nine at night and have decided to do my blog early well for me because of the power cut tomorrow. So here we go.
We walked out  through the back gate because we hacks decided that Yali beach club was our choice for today. We walked up hill and along probably parallel with the Kalamar road took a left and ended up next to the original Chinese restaurant. We had had a meal here when we first came to Kalkan all freshly cooked and if I remember not too bad. Across the Kalamar road and the Melding was on our left. When we were first dropped off in Kalkan the bus used to pull up at the Melding and Mustapha or Carlos from the lovely Serra was there to meet us and we walked down to the Hotel because the road wouldn't accommodate a bus. So we meandered down the road  past Villa Ilhan  it's called something else now but I had a wonderful 60th birthday there and past the Serra which is now a private villa but our wonderful introduction to Kalkan took place at the Serra boutique hotel.
Oh the memories of our first holidays in Kalkan so on past the  Lixor where we had had a meal when it first opened and it was terrible and down the rickety path to Yali. We had stopped at Yali before it was posh and had a lovely holiday there. We had the pent house room and had a lovely time there and when we used to go go Careta Caretta for a meal.
So all these lovely memories came back as we descended the steps to Yali beach.. The two ladies from Nur apartments were already there and waved to us from the middle of the ocean. We took our payment card and tried to decide where to park ourselves for the day. We had the whole beach club to choose from and finally decided not too far from the dining terrace. The beds there are lovely. In front of us were Dutch? Americans and of course British. It was a change to hear the different accents esnpecially as the Dutch went between their own language and English so eloquently to speak to the boys and make known their requirements. The boys are fantastic with all the different languages as well. the British came across as very Ooh la la well to me they did but the old Yali had gone the one I remembered anyway. We had a lovely meal there Bri had tuna club sandwich with chips and I had a cheeseburger. The whole day cost 107 l which was our drinks etc as well as our lovely meal.
We decided to return at about 4 o'clock so Bri payed the bill and we climbed the steps and walked round the headland back to the harbour. It was very hot.
There was no taxi about so we went to Fenners for a drink and watch the boats return to their safe harbour. There were a number of flotilla boats trying to park or moor for those sailors among us and there was quite a queue trying to get into the harbour. The dive boat steamed past them all pipping his horn as he went ANC they all managed to find a space and drop their anchors in e safe harbour of Kaljan.
We walked back to the taxi rank at the end of the harbour a taxi appeared ANC off we went up the hill to the Nur. Missed several cars along the way thank goodness and I was glad to alight safe and sound. We climbed up to the pool and the ladies were there with there new water hammocks. We smiled and admired them and climbed up to the safe haven of Daybreak. So that was our day today another wonderful sojourn in Kalkan I'll let you know how us and the power cut get on.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »
At least you wern't kept in the dark about the Power Cut :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
Oh very good Blue Lizard. We're sat on the each 945am watching the boats go out.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
Sigh......at 9.45 I was sitting in a whole team meeting!  ::)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
Today has been lovely. The Turkish kids have gone back to school and we watch them while we eat our breakfast as they climb the hill hand in hand. The power cut was expected at 800am so we got out of bed did breakfast and decided to go to the town beach . We chose our sun beds close to Kleos got the mattresses from there and decided to have an apple and a Turkish tea. We opened a tab drank up and retired to our sun beds. The boats were going out and the yacht that we had watched come in yesterday was leaving but with difficulty. It couldn't raise its anchor. Backwards and forwards until eureka the a chirp appeared and the yacht was off. We lay back down. I've got a Martina Cole novel which I'm really enjoying and Bri likes to play solitaire on the I pad.
My hat was over my eyes but in front of us a Brit was running round trying to organise about 10 sun beds. I was looking underneath my hat watching him organise the beds sending someone off for the mattresses and generally martialing the first row of the beach. In dries and drabs the occupants arrived kiss kiss moments happened and everybody sat down. We've seen this group before and they are obviously Kalkan regulars either inhabitants of long term holiday stayers. Anyway truth be told I list interest ANC leg em get on with it.
We had lunch at Kleos. It was lovely pizza and chips with two Efes and then back to serious sun bathing.
We meandered back through the town at 400pm and I looked in Just Silver to see if I could find my hearts desire but no and then past BSG where my handbag was. Could I gave it in every colour? I could tell by the look that the answer was no so I reluctantly conceded that we'd still got another week so my mind could still be made up. As we climbed through the town the last jewellers was RAMO. I come from Kalkan ANC I give you best deal. In the window were two sapphire bracelets. My heart leapt. The last time I'd been that excited was in Lichfield passing Salloways the jewellers. £13000 pounds for a sapphire and diamond bracelet. Bri went in. I didn't but pointed at my hearts desire. It was £840 pounds. The other one was £1500. Cheaper than £13000 but Bri didn't seem to agree. Come in said Mr RAMO try it on. My hand was gingerly proffered and the bracelet fitted to my wrist. Oh it was just perfect but my heart told me no. Was it cash if credit card probably cash said I bravely without looking at Bri. Then I thought well I'd be terrified to wear it in case I lost it etc so perhaps a handbag would be better value for money. I turned and left the shop Mr RAMO gave Bri his card  with a price of £665 on it. So never say never you never know.
We ate at Chilies and it was delicious. There was a lovely kitten in there committing Hari Kari and playing with my skirt. The Turkish gentleman opposite was laughing and said his name was Borish? And that he loved cats. He said that he played every night in the Turtle Bar next door and we told him how we'd enjoyed listening to Martyn at the Lemon Garden. He said that Martyn was welcome to join him any night and I said that I would pass the message on. So Martyn if you are reading this the invitation is there.
I disentangled myself from the Kitten and we returned to our lovely apartment where we ins have a brandy and a whiskey to complete our evening.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »
Joycie,
Another lovely and humerous report.It is great that the holiday is going so well for you both.I don't think the power cut happened,for the majority yesterday,did it ?

Sun hats are just great for secret observing,on the beach ( without detection ! )......as well as protecting from the sun !! ( its main purpose,of course ! )

You have described my perfect scenario....pizza and chips,with two Efes..and then !!....more sun bathing !..It will be my turn to enjoy these delights soon...counting down the days !

We like Chillies a lot and the music next door is great.In June,the staff at Chillies asked us if we thought it would put customers off by having music so regularily next door.I said that I thought it would add to the atmosphere of the restaurant.I did add that if customers were to visit Chillies every night then the music may get a bit repetitive.....but with so much excellent choice in Kalkan,i doubt most would go every evening,lovely as it is.

Have another great day today both.
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »
Thank you it really was a lovely day. Borish the guys name sounded like and were going to make a determined attempt to listen to him before we go home. Mind you we want to go to Adems as well and of course return to Asian Gate. So many things to do and even after nearly 3 weeks time is fast running out.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
I think the name of the chap could be Baris......pronounced Barish.I know a few people of that name round town.

Yes, days shoot by,don't they.............."time flies when you're having fun",as the saying goes !

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2014, 09:43:18 AM »
We heard Baris sing twice in June, he has a nice voice and  he sings a lot of Beatles and Eric Clapton numbers.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »
Getting so close to the end of our howls it's frightening. Today Mor and Dave and Phil and Ali go home so we had arranged to meet them for a meal. We had never been to Aqua before but had been to Vita plenty of times. We set off up the hill thinking we could get there without changing tack. Wrong again so we descended to the road walked up heartbreak hill past Enes and on to Cafe Aqua. There were already a few people in there eating we had arranged to meet at 12.30. We ordered a couple a couple of Efes and sat down. No more cold Efes were to be had. They hadn't ordered enough to put in the fridge so we were offered malt Efes. Truth be told if I'd have been given this as an ordinary Efes I wouldn't have known the difference.
The going home gang arrived and we sat there smugly knowing that we weren't going home till Tuesday. Shame they were sad.
We all ordered our meals I had cheeses burger Bri had cheeses and mushroom omelette the others had omelettes and jacket potatoes with coronation chicken. Phil had a pizza. With the drinks the bill came to 210l for the six of us.
Can I just say at this point my iPad has a mind of its own so I apologise for various spelling mistakes.
Anyway we had to wait a fair time for our meal but when it arrived it was very nice no complaints.
It was soon time to kiss and say goodbye. Next time we meet would be at our new bungalow so we bade farewell and said we would phone when we got hone. Did I sat we weren't going home till Tuesday.
We walked back down the Kalamar road. No dogs following us thus time. Mor and Dave told us of the dig they lured from Kalamar thus week to the vets in Kaljan because it had terrible mange. The vets gave it an injection released it back in Kalamar and said they would look for it on a regular basis and give it the ensuing injections.
I'm not sure that I would have been so generous as them but I promised to look for the dog if I got a chance.
We got back into Kalkan and decided we would eat in tonight. Threw my clothes off put my sarong on and promptly fell asleep on the balcony of e apartment. Bri went out bought two lovely potatoes I grated some cheeses and we had lovely jacket potatoes with salad for dinner on the back balcony. We followed this with diced fresh plums and ice cream. It was lovely.
So another day with not a lot happening has become another report from me. The holiday is slowly winding down and I still haven't got my bracelet. Tomorrow maybe?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »
Thanks for posting, joycie. Feels like you have been on holiday forever - although its probably flown for you both :'(
I have to say, I have been having a right chuckle at your predictive text ;D ;D
This post starts with you telling us your coming to the end of your "howls" - it reminds me of the policeman in Allo Allo! Showing my age there :)
Enjoy the rest of your stay :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:54 PM »
Thanks it does remind you of allo allo I was just pissing by the window etc. sometimes I don't read it till the end and then I can't be bothered to change all the howlers it would be quicker to redo it. Oh well I,m sure people get the gist. Only 5 more to do and then you can be left in peace.xx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »
I dont know what we'll do without you posting everyday. I for one dont want to be left in peace...predictive text or no predictive text :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »
Last night was full of dogs barking and cats miaowing. I wondered if the dog that Mor had taken to the vets had found us and was getting his own back. I put the fan on and it drowned out all the other noises.
We meandered down town after an egg and bacon breakfast and decided to go to Indigo beach club today. We didn't go last year but we found a seat by the sea and sat down. It was roasting hot  and there were people on the flying sofa enjoying themselves in quite a rough sea. We had lunch at the restaurant . I had a cheese and tomato toastei and Bri had a tuba melt. They were very nice washed down with a couple of Efes and then back to my book and sunbed. We stayed till about 400pm and then decided to meander home. On the way out there was a notice stating that the club would be closed Friday and Saturday because  of a wedding. Turkish or English I do not know but have no doubt I shall try and have a nose and report back.
We got into a taxi at the harbour so no walk past my bracelet then. Hm I'll have to work out another plan.
Decided we would go to Adems tonight but didn't know how to phone him on my English pay as you go mobile. Luckily Fiona was at the apartment and so we used her Turkish mobile and sorted a pick up of 6.30
Adem arrived dead on time and took us to his lovely restaurant. He was pleased to see Bri fit and healthy because that was where Bri had had his heart attack last year. He told us that his house was our second home he's so lovely. We had a lovely starter of mushrooms and onions and garlic with cheese rolls. I had steak in a cream sauce and Bri had moussaka. They were delicious. I had had a couple of g&ts and Bri had an Efes and I also had a fresh fruit salad.LOVELY.
We sat next to a very nice couple who were buying a house in Kalamar. It had got to be knocked down and started again and quite a few trips to Kalkan had been undertaken already. She was a physiotherapist and her husband was still working and the'd even had to do a weekend trip to sort something out with the house. She said the planners in Kalkan are very fussy. Well that's hard to believe !
They had been left a free brandy each by a friend but would you believe neither of them liked brandy so they offered them to us. Seemed rude not to.
Adem was very busy. His elder kids are all away at school so in between ferrying people around waiting at the tables etc. we didn't see a lot of him.
We asked for our bill  150l duly paid and Adem took us and another couple home. They were stopping in Bezigran blimey that was a hair raising journey. Adem showed us some of the local architecture particularly the original water tanks which he said were 500 years old and then he showed us the spectacular view of Kalka. Phew what a view.
We carried on down to Kalkan and were dropped outside the Nur. I told him that he was my guardian angel after last years episode and he told me once again don't forget your second home.
There was one story that disturbed me on our heater skeleton ride down the mountain. Last night 5 people English he thinks wanted to pay by credit card and the machine wasn't working. No problem said Adem you cone back tomorrow have breakfast or lunch bring me the money tomorrow.500 lire. That's right you've guessed it they haven't appeared. His wife is really upset because like all the family she works really hard and 500lire is a lot of money. He went into Kalkan to see if he could find them but of course they had long hone. So sad for such a lovely man and his family I could have cried.
So I end my tale tonight on a sad note particularly as the people concerned were British.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
Thats so sad Joycie. Adam is a lovely guy and doesnt deserve this. Sadly the rest of us will suffer for their selfish behaviour. It would be great if he could find out who they rented from so they can be tracked down.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »
Heater skeleton  ;D Is that helter skelter maybe  ??? ;D I'll miss your reports so much  Joycie, they've been so funny and please keep going for as long as you can.

Poor Adem. I feel so bad for him as he is such a genuine guy. Our regular taxi driver was ripped off while we were in Kalkan this summer. He had taken a couple (he thought they were Dutch or German) to Kaputas and told them to pay on the return journey at 6pm. You've guessed it, they weren't there and he hung around until 6.50, making us late for our trip down to town. He was so apologetic making us wait and offered to give us our ride for free, of course we paid him and gave him a tip. This is the guy who offered us the use of his spare Turkish mobile as we were explaining how expensive phone calls were for us. Of course we declined that offer too, but it breaks my heart and makes my blood boil when I hear stories like this.  :'( >:(

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
Sadly scumbags are everywhere and in all nationalities..but we do seem to have more than our fair share in the UK.The hospitality and friendship and indeed trust shown by Turkish people is second to none and this sort of stuff is a real slap in the face and sadly tarnishes us all.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »
Just laughed at my own report. Apart from the other gaffes did you notice that Bri had a TUBA melt. I can't get the vision of a great heap of melted tuba on a sandwich out of my mind. I meant tuna of course. The b and the n are together must be more careful or go back to mornings when I haven't had a drink.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »
Without wishing to go off topic - a long-established (and one of the nicest) restaurant greeters in Kalkan remarked to me that this year, some of the 'new breed' of English visitors have been shockingly rude to him, whilst others have wanted to haggle over the price of a steak. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I agree that Adem should try to locate the property owner whose guests did a runner from his restaurant.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »
This is so embarrassing for British visitors. I say British, as opposed to English as the UK is more than England and we should be more aware of that today than any other day ;)
I hope Adem is able to track down the thieves - because that's what they are - via the accommodateion owners. Could some Ex-pats please help him do this.
Joycie I have to say, I did laugh out loud at "tuba melt" - you have brightened up my day with your report but at the same time I am desperately sad that people would take advantage of the wonderful trusting nature of so many of our Turkish friends.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Walking in a winter wonderland

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 01:50:11 PM
by Buster
xx
Our Adventures in Paradise

Started by Agent Ottoman on Holiday Reports and Reviews

36 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
by samson
xx
Sally's holiday adventures!

Started by Sallyjane on Holiday Reports and Reviews

16 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 08:23:35 PM
by pattaya

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mmmm, Chillies

Views: 3717
By: Firecat

Views: 3802