Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Joyce's adventures in wonderland  (Read 36606 times)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Joyce's adventures in wonderland
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 03:38:01 AM »
Thanks mayday1. We have never eaten there because i must have read similar comments, however this year, we had it recommended twice in resort, now this.
we need some brave soul to take it on and post a report!

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 06:58:09 AM »
Tuesday was the celebration of our first week here. We decided to go to Kas. As we're half way up the hill or half way down depending what direction you're in we decided to walk up to the bus station. We donned our beautiful new hats decided not to take towels etc with us and walked carefree but hot up the hill. We got to the bus station with hats askew and said Kas in our best Turkish accent and the lovely controller well he sat at the desk outside the building said 10oclock too early. He invited us to sit down which we did disappeared for a minute and then returned pointing through the door shouting Kas follow me. Lo and behold there was a lovely big air conditioned bus going to Antalya which stopped at Kas so we got on. We hadn't paid any one and nobody seemed to pay as they got on so we waited to be invited to pay but the bus got under way and we still had our money in our hand. It brought back memories of last year when we were transported to Antalya by the insurance company in a lovely chauffeur driven car. Mind you the bus to Kas was just as nice the views to die for and we knew we weren't going home this time.
We got to Kas bus station and that's when everybody pays. 6l each very good value for money particularly the spectacular views. Brian ascertained that the dolmas came back every half hour and then we meandered down to the harbour for a drink. I had apple tea and Bri had a latte. They were delicious. I then went and purchased a piece of loo roll and went to the ladies. They are spotless if not a little damp underfoot because they are regularly hosed down. I waited for the proper cubicle because I always have a problem with the French hole in the ground type. I either fall in miss my aim or to put it crudely wet myself laughing trying to get in position if you see what I mean . Ablutions done we wandered round Kas.
We walked uphill to the beach as you do in Kas not many places where you walk uphill to the sea but the beach clubs are lovely there and we wished we'd brought our blathers with us. So we diverted from our path and came to a little path which took us to the harbour. A foaming Efes was before my eyes so it seemed rude not to so off into the bar which overlooked the harbour. Can see I put blathers but not going to change it now you know what I mean.
There was a gullet getting ready to leave. The guests were obviously returning from a short break in Kas and lunch was being loaded on. I studied the people and they looked a mixed bunch. Mostly English but I think probably a couple of different nationalities.i know in hotels etc you get many varied types but I wondered to myself in the close confines of a gullet how people managed if they didn't get on or somebody laughed too loudly or personal habits weren't au fait etc.Bri says I was thinking too deeply and he was sure that they were all enjoying themselves.
Anyway lunch was on the agenda so we walked back across the square to the lovely little restaurants overlooking the harbour plonked ourselves down and ordered one mixed omelette and one chickenshish with the biggest Efes each I had ever seen. Because Bri is diabetic he needs a little carbohydrate with his meal so I ordered a bowl of chips to share. Big mistake my meal of chicken shish came with lovely potato and chips and with the extra chips we had enough carbohydrates between us to feed all the diabetics in Turkey.
Meal was lovely so we decided to meander back to the bus station and catch the dolmas.
The return journey was just as nice again no money taken on departure and It was full of Turkish locals rather than tourists. Bri reminded me of one of the first times we had taken the little Kas dolmas and a Turkish gentleman went to sleep on my shoulder and only woke when we got to Kalkan.
I was surprised when we got to Kaputas and I looked over at the beach how many rows of umberellas there were not like it used to be when you only had an umberella if you took your own.
Anyway we returned to Kalkan full tired and happy and I took my book on the bed on the balcony and promptly fell asleep.
Now after all of this rigmarole I 'very got round to what I meant to say. We went to Kalkan Kebap last night. I had moussaka Bri had chicken casserole which he really enjoyed. My moussaka was fine but I was rather full still from lunch time. I had a couple of glasses of red wine perfect temp and we paid 79 l. The staff were lovely and very attentive. Didn't notice an over abundance of flies and all in all for what we paid it was fine.
So although it probably wasn't my favourite meal I would probably try it again.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 07:07:30 AM »
Wow Joycie, what fabulous service you are providing....anticipating me every requirement! I would like you to have a chilled, relaxing day today!

Will give kalkan kebap a try next year I think! I do recall actually, that Hunkars was the only place we were bothered by flies and that's next door, so it must be something to do with where they are located.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »
Hi Haybo,there you go.It just shows things can be different from day to day .I did go last year and I believe that was their first year.Hopefully things have improved,as you seem to confirm Joycie.

When I had the fly problem,i was sitting at the top right corner,close to the road and close to Hunkars,so again this problem could vary depending on where you are seated.

Lovely report Joycie.I think I understand the difficulties of some Turkish loos.The boat trips I have been on have fortunately been very happy affairs with everyone getting on but yes I agree,if you didn't, it would be slightly annoying ......I'm pleased the holiday is going well

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »
I'm really enjoying your reports joycie. They are so entertaining and brilliant to wake up to in a morning. Work doesn't seem so dreary when I can picture Kas harbour in my minds eye as I sip my morning coffee, waiting for the onslaught!  :) Thank you and please keep 'em coming.  8)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »
We spent many an hour as always in Kaya on the opposite side of the roundabout to KK and Hunkars...no flies! ..and you are so right about those hole in the ground Grotty Pottys as we know them.(Not even a handle or a piece of rope to hang onto!! >:D)
enjoying your posts joycie :-*
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »
Fab report again Joycie, keep them coming please.  We haven't been to Kalkan Kebap, as always end up in Hunkars as we love their Chicken Shish! although almost did go this year, then changed our minds at the last minute.

Jayne

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 03:22:12 PM »
I went to Kalkan Kebab when it had just opened in April last year. I remember that they had problems with clouds of smoke billowing from the BBQ onto the diners, and at that time the food wasn't show stopping - just ok.  However, I do recall asking if they had a pashmina as I was feeling really chilly (doors flung open to let the smoke out) and as they hadn't got any, one of the waiters went to get his own beautifully fragranced suit jacket to put around my shoulders which I thought was rather gallant. As I was on crutches and surrounded by shopping bags, they walked me back to my apartment round the corner and carried my bags for me which was much appreciated.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
thanks for posting joycie. I love the road to Kas, but not so fond of Kas when we get there - think it lacks the atmosphere of Kalkan.
Kalkan Kebap has been so many diffrent names over the years - I do believe this years is the first time for a good few years it hasnt changed its name. We've not been since it was Breeze but even then it wasnt one of those places that was always on our list - we went when we didnt feel like going all the way into the Old Town.
Am I being daft....? Where are the doors on this restaurant?  ???
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
Hi Kalkan4eva,

I agree that Kas has no where near the atmosphere that Kalkan has..........it has a really weird feeling for me.I don't feel as comfortable there,and the locals don't seem so friendly.I love the views on the way over and the marina has certainly grown in size,in terms of the amount of boats berthed there.

I also wondered where all the doors in Kalkan Kebab are...............they don't have any !! only possibly at the entrance,although it has an open walk in/walk out area during the season.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »
Ok, Mayday1, don't feel so bad now if you also think the same about Kalkan Kebap ;D  ;D And you are right about Kas not being as friendly. Can't put my finger on it though....we've tried a day out there lots of times and I never feel any different about the place. Always relieved to get back to Kalkan as quick as possible.
Hope this thread isn't boring anyone..... :P

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 06:27:17 AM »
We'll I don't know about you but I'm Kalkan Kepabbed out . Yesterday was going to be a doing a lot of nothing day. I had some postcards that I'd bought with me. Tight eh! Over the years I'd bought loads of calendars and Mor and I usually buy each other one as a holiday present so when we moved house I put all the postcards together and decided to use them. Probably never have to buy another. Did think about writing them before we came away because I knew we were going to have a super holiday and then when we met the people from Rugeley I could have given them to take home to post. Cynical or what. Decided I was getting too mercenary wrote them whilst on the balcony and got our swimming stuff together and mosied on down to the post office.
It must have been pension day yesterday lots of elderly people negotiating the post office steps and one old gentleman parked his walking stick at the bottom and climbed gingerly to the top. Luckily his son was with him and helped him do the reverse journey. I had written 9 postcards 22l to send them. Bri appeared with them and the stamps and we duly stuck them on and tried to post them in the yellow box outside. Would they go in ? Would they Eco as like so after deciding not to fold them in Hal Bri walked back up the steps got another ticket and handed them in over the counter.
Whilst I was waiting for Bri to get his postcard act together I talked to lady who couldn't find the Patara bus. She was moaning that she hadn't been for a couple of years and how things had changed. Well everybody moans at home about how we need change but I honestly believe that Kalkan hasn't changed for the worse. I think the new paving is lovely and really compliments the town and the businesses are still straying on to the pavements. You still have to queue to get past the water lorry or dustbin men in the morning when trying to meander down to the harbour but that's part of its charm.
Anyway she went off to find the bus and we went to Fenners for our daily coffee.
We went over to Palm Beach again and really enjoyed the day had lunch there and a couple of Efes and watched the gullets come into the harbour.
Decided to return when the little boat came back didn't see any turtles today. Sweatily walked back up Everest and stopped at the green grocers for potatoes cucumber tomatoes and spring onions. 2l.
We were going to eat in tonight so went to Kentucky fried chicken as my dear husband calls it purchased a lovely hot chicken and he gave us a little bag with that lovely spice in
Yali was next on the agenda fresh bread and a tub of ice cream.Then the final ascent from base camp (Yali) to the peak (Nur apartments) and we planted our flag we'll hot chicken etc. in the kitchen and went for a shower.
I put jacket potatoes in prepared a salad the chicken was still hot. Came to prepare it and decided I would just have the jacket. Bri enjoyed his and we both had a lovely bowl of ice cream to finish. Sat on the balcony pondering another glorious Kalkan day. Did I tell you I love Kalkan?

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
Joycie, just reading your report this morning, feels like I am back in Kalkan, and thinking about the chicken shop, just reminiscing about when we took one down to the beach one evening with our picnic and stayed there until midnight, absolutely bliss, the beach was still crowded! Have a lovely day and look forward to same time tomorrow! thank you so much for sharing your holiday with us all. Love your postcard story  :)

Jayne

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 08:25:22 AM »
Loving my morning Kalkan fix! Thanks for sharing joycie  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »
Lovely report, joycie. Made me quite nostalgic - it's absolutely years since we sent traditional postcards. My family and friends used to remark on how much info I could fit on a card - writing really small. Have to say its also years since I received one :(
Postcards need to be revived but I have to say I do prefer the foriegn stamp to a UK one ;)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 11:38:11 AM »
Lovely report Joycie.Hope you both are having a relaxing fun day.I have to admit I haven't sent any postcards for ages....I suppose too many other ways to keep in touch these days,but actually it is nice to receive something physical,which someone has put a little effort into........so I will get writing in October !!

I love the new road surface and I am pleased that traders have been able to reclaim some of the space to continue trading,as close as possible to their original capacity

I love Palm Beach club..........our local one in Komurluk,and only 150 metres from our apartment,so it is fairly convenient.

I am pleased that you successfully negotiated the climb from Yali (base camp) to  (Mount) Nur.......
...............................................................................................

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
I,m late reporting for duty today problem connecting to the server in tha apartment so unfortunately I,ve had to sit in Kleo bar drinking Efes and doing my blog.
Yesterday was lovely we lazed by the pool after a trip up the road to the market. The pool temperature is like a bath bit different to last year although we were later by a couple of weeks bu WH and me had a really lovely lollop about in the pool.
We needed a few things and decided to meander to Yali. Now as you have been meandering have you ever seen a man whose obviously got himself dressed and you thought to yourself I wouldn't let mine out looking like that. We'll horror upon horrors I had one of my own yesterday. I must have taken my eye off the ball Idont know how he got past me but blue green orange and white shorts with a black and white horizontal striped t shirt. Oh Bri have you seen yourself? We'll you didn't say anything mutter mutter. He's right I didn't but believe me I was more alert this morning as he stood ready for inspection.
It's lovely at the apartments and there are new guests who haven't been to Kalkan before and are really enjoying it. They find the beach clubs difficult because there are no beaches but I told them how nice Palm Beach is and how Yali have the best cushions in the world.
We decided to shower and trundle down to town where we sat in Yali bar eating ghetto popcorn and I had brandy and lemonade and Bri had Efes.
Where to eat? Kiosk was just over the way so we walked a few yards had a perfunctory look at the menu outside and decided I would have steak. So of course when I ordered I had sea bass chips and beautiful vegetables Bri had stuffed chicken. They were  both delicious.We started off with complimentary hot rolls and dips had a bottle of house red and I finished on the nicest cheesecake we had had in ages. 101 l and it was beautiful. Young fellow across from us had the steak and he said it was the best he'd had. Perhaps next time.
We meandered up Everest home and Bris knee gave way. So he hopped and moaned to the top step limped to the balcony and we had a brandy and a whiskey before bed.
It was then that I realised that the server wasn't working and I was so disappointed that I couldn't do my blog so here I am in Kleos everybody say Ah what a hard life nah hopefully I'll speak to you tomorrow.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »
Hi Joycie and Bri,

Lovely report Joycie........I do feel your pain having to head to Kleos to do the blog,but thanks for the sacrifice in order to keep us happy.

I hope Bri's knee is not too bad.I too have to pass the dress code scrutiny of my oh but i occasionally escape.

Have a great day and hope the server is working ok now.......or catastrophe ! it will have to be down to Kleos again to enjoy the odd Efes or two !!
.........................................................................................

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »
Sacre Bleu!!    Poor old Bri!  what man worth his own salt doesn't own a dodgy shirt? Ladeeeez often it seems feel free to comment "Are you going out like that?" cruelly crushing your mans thoughts that he looks smart/ hip or cool or all three! O0  But when your man is asked "Do I look alright" Every man knows for a quiet life and to avoid several clothes changes and the associated mumblings and muttering and to avoid losing valuable drinking time  he must answer "Yes dear you look lovely" :P

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
Fab again joycie - Poor you having to slum it at kleo with an efes - all in the call of duty ;) I admire your dedication, just wish I was there too  :)

I really know what you mean re the uncoordinated patterns we find our OH's wearing. Poor automan has to pass muster with me too before I let him loose anywhere! He'll not thank me for sharing this though  ;D

BL - how strange, that's just what automan says to me (or words to that effect), sometimes he's not even looking at me... ???

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Walking in a winter wonderland

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 01:50:11 PM
by Buster
xx
Our Adventures in Paradise

Started by Agent Ottoman on Holiday Reports and Reviews

36 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
by samson
xx
Sally's holiday adventures!

Started by Sallyjane on Holiday Reports and Reviews

16 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 08:23:35 PM
by pattaya

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

New bus station

Views: 4791
By: Babadag
Gin&tonic Sundowner