Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: joycie on September 06, 2014, 06:03:44 AM

Title: Joyce's adventures in wonderland
Post by: joycie on September 06, 2014, 06:03:44 AM
I cooked breakfast and set the table on the balcony at the back of the apartment. The bacon we bought with us in the case is coming to an end and soon we'll be chewing the streaky bacon from Yali with wonderful eggs and tomatoes. Had a cup of tea yams you do and decided that it was going to be a beach club day but which one? When we first came to Kalkan really didn't know much about beach clubs there was really only Kalamar Mahal Yali and Caretta Caretta. We had stopped at Yali and so used theirs regularly and because it was close to Caretta Caretta used theirs as we'll. I always remember the Caretta Caretta mini bus picking us up as we walked round the dusty path even though we weren't stopping there and how we used to sit on their terrace and listen to someone with a hacking cough but never got to know who. Finally we met him forgotten his name but he was charming husband of the daughter in law who did the cooking and he always used to give me a big sloppy kiss.i had my 60th birthday there and it was wonderful
Alright I digress again. Sat in Fenners watching the boats xand decided Palm Beach it was. Went last year after Bri had come out of hospital and he sat in the swinging chair on the terrace. He didn't remember so I thought we'd jog the old memory.

We headed for the  beach club and saw two turtles swimming just ahead of us. Their heads kept surfacing and it was magical to spot the turtle when we least expected it. The boat hit the corner of the key and we alighted daintily and again I remember on our trips to Mahal in the early days how Bri and Dave used to lie next to the boatman and how Vicky's husband from Anil used to be the Mahal boatman. Still with the pony tail but a little greyer this time. There was someone sitting on the terrace where we sat last year so we sat together on the big deck just as you get off the boat and I pulled out my book and the others went swimming. We had coffees and the waiter I remembered from Kaptans served us. Lunch was lovely Bri had an omelette with a few chips and I had a cheeseburger. I had a glass of red wine but it was cold and the waiter knew it should have been warm and offered to put it up his t shirt to warm it. That was a step too far for me so I declined his wonderful offer and only moaned silently as I sipped it.
We spent a lovely afternoon there declined Dave's offer of a ride on a doughnut. We went jet boating in NewZealand but the doughnuts were a step too far. On our return we bade farewell to Dave and Mor and plonked ourselves into Kleos for an Efes before the walk up Everest.
Decided we would eat in so collected the lovely chicken that we had ordered on our way down and they gave us a lovely bag of deli vegetables to go with it. Put in two jacket potatoes prepared some salad opened a bottle of Angora and enjoyed a lovely meal.
Had a shower put on a sarong and then we played crib which my husband had taught me and I duly beat him three times.
It was a lovely day again so tomorrow who knows I look forward with great anticipation Kalkan never fails.
Title: Re: Joyce's adventures in wonderland
Post by: Haybo on September 06, 2014, 06:56:12 AM
Lovely report joycie, keep them coming.  We have been home 4 weeks and it feels like  a lifetime!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 06, 2014, 08:01:48 AM
Reading this before I have even made our coffee this morning Joycie, wonderful and thank you! A good start to Saturday morning.  Have another lovely day today. 

Jx
Post by: Kalkan Magic on September 06, 2014, 10:12:36 AM
Thanks for your blog Joycie - you made us giggle on a dreary, drizzly Sat morning here in Yorkshire. Say hello to Bri, Dave and Mor xxxx
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 06, 2014, 10:59:31 AM
Dreary and drizzly here in Lancashire too but you just brightened my day joycie! Thanks and Keep 'em coming  :)
Post by: joycie on September 06, 2014, 11:30:17 AM
Hi Sue and Shaun I was talking about you to Martyn the other day. I hope you are getting better we had a wonderful holiday last year in Sahaine even with everything else that went on and the view from your place is to die for. We're very happy here been to Martyns a couple of times and tonight we'll meet up with Dave and Mor for a 30th anniversary meal. Should wear pearls shouldn't I.
Post by: Babs on September 06, 2014, 02:05:21 PM
Joycie, you're on holiday, wear whatever you like!  :laugh:
Glad to hear you're having a lovely holiday!
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 06, 2014, 05:40:22 PM
Thanks for posting, joycie. I was seriously beginning to get Kalkan withdrawal symptoms. I've also found your other posts - not quite sure how you managed to get them where they are but hopefully a nice moderator will pick them up and move them all to here where everyone can follow your blog.
Very jealous that you are in Kalkan when we are back here in UK  :(
Post by: joycie on September 07, 2014, 05:53:19 AM
Sitting watching the sun come over the hillside with anice cup of tea and my trusty tablet.Brian is taking his regime of pills and can't speak but with a little bit of miming I manage to establish that he'll cook breakfast.
Yesterday was a pool day but first we had to restock the wine rack and get some bread. Sounds like a job for one of the disciples but as we didn't need any fishes we tootled off down towards my island by the school. We purchased a bottle of red Majestik 14.5 lire which had cost 40 in the restaurant and then proceeded to the bakers which you had all told me about underneath the green grocers. It was very hot in there but busy and I couldn't make up my mind what to have. We had a lovely loaf which they sliced and a couple of rolls to eat with our lunch. A coffee was then called for so out to the coffee shop which is full of locals eating and drinking and the wonderful little lady sitting over her fire making the flat breads. Didn't do cappuccino or latte but a Nescafé which was almost a strong Turkish coffee with a drop of milk went down very well a trip to the bank for some cash was then required. Last year we were getting a better rate at the Bank but so far we have got 3.46 at the banks and up to 3.51 in the shops.
Back to the lovely Nur apartments and we settled by the pool for the afternoon. Fiona and Martyn popped in to greet some new guests and we read and slept . I haven't bought my smart phone with me but my old orange phone with topip. Mor and I had had a little lapse of concentration concerning communications and she was texting my phone back in Staffordshire. Finally got amessage on Facebook from her son giving details of our meet. We were to meet at 6pm at the beagle bar or Bezigrans to everyone else. We call it that because last year that was where we first met up with the beagle puppy who is now a fully grown dog and wandering everywhere round by the island.
It was very hot but an Efes or two did the trick and Mor read me the text messages which are sitting on my other phone. It's quite a good way of communicating because if you don't understand the message at least you're sitting next to the person whose sending it to you.
We then decided Chilies was our next port of call and we were made welcome as always and sat down to study the menu. Mr happy came and gave Dave a wonderful massage the lovely puffy bread and dips arrived and those that had ordered starters proceeded to eat. Mor and I had the chicken with blue cheeses and it was lovely. Brian had a Turkish casserole and we consumed one or two bottles of red and rose majestik. Don't know what the bill came to because by then I wasn't exactly compis menus but was a little squiggly and had still got to climb back home.
We all kissed and bade farewell and agreed to meet up and do it all again very soon. Our 30 years of friendship was well and truly celebrated.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 07, 2014, 08:15:53 AM
Joycie, sounds as if you are having a lovely time.Where abouts did you get the wine...Yali or Lucky or somewhere else ?

We love Chillies.......their puffed up breads,their chicken casseroles are lovely,as are their chicken shish kebabs.I love the staff...the guy that meets and greets people always reminds us of a taller version of Yul Brenner (from the king and I) and Mr Happy who is always predicting the coming weather such as................."we are expecting rain and storms" and then......Bang !! a day or so later..the thunder begins !

I must say regarding changing currency that we have never received less in the banks than in the shops.We always go inside the bank...to the counter to exchange and is always higher.

We have never used the ATM'S outside........Did you use the atm machine or from the counter.You wouls get a poorer rate from PTT as they charge commission.

I hope you have another fantastic day in Paradise.

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 07, 2014, 08:31:12 AM
Joycie, thank you for another lovely fix of Kalkan with my morning coffee! Brilliant, just sitting here thinking about those guys in Chillies, and although we saw them as we walked by this year, we didn't actually eat there, and am not sure why, because we love it in there.  Will definitely be on our list for next year though.  Have another wonderful day and look forward to tomorrow's report.

Jayne
Post by: joycie on September 08, 2014, 06:23:12 AM
So the cocks have crowed the wailers wailed dogs have barked cocks done a bit more crowing and all is well in beautiful Kalkan. It was time to get out of bed. Put the kettle find the I pad and off to start my blog. I then hada chicken and an egg moment what came first? Was it the toilet roll that can't be flushed down the loo or the pipes that are too narrow.its alright not completely mad but my turn to take the bags of paper down to the bin. In fact it's always my turn and I guess it was something designed by man for woman to use.
Get to the front door and distracted by the gardener who was watering the flowers. I hadn't brought my wellies with me so a bit of paddling was called for. Bri was behind me to direct me to the bin of course and then there was an explosion of hugging and talking (Bri and the gardener) and I realised that it was Memhet who was at the Serra many moons ago when we first came to Kalkan. He's a lovely guy and plays a wicked game of dominoes which we always got involved in when we returned to the Serra. The Serra isn't there now but the lovely people who introduced us to Kalkan still are.
We left Memhet doing his various duties said we would see him soon and meandered down town to Fenners for a coffee.we sat at end overlooking the boats and watching them narrowly miss each other as they left the harbour. I could hear a definite midlands accent at the next table and remarked on it and asked them where they came from? Wolverhampton was the reply and we explained that we lived between Stafford and Lichfield Rugeley in fact and blow me down they confessed that they did too but didn't think anyone would know where it was so always say Wolverhampton.
Small world. They were going home Monday so we said safe journey and got the little boat to the beach club. Not too choppy nice elegant landing couple of turtles on the starboard side and a day of lovely relaxation. Somebody dropped something through the wooden slats and there was a lot of directing being shouted to the young diver below but whatever it was was never found so I went back to minding other peoples business till lunchtime. Guy from Kaptans that was tried to talk us into the BBQ on Wednesday but not sure so I said we'll see.
When it was time to go zi noticed the boat coming across had got a bit of a sway on it. We'll we got on with another couple and had a Titanic moment as the little boat rolled from side to side. Boy was in glad to get back into the harbour. Staggered off the boat proceeded to climb Everest and got to Yali bar when it was discovered lo and behold that the Grand Prix was on and Lewis Hamilton in the lead. Did I want an Efes we'll is the Pope catholic of course so we sat down with a foaming Efes and watched the end of the race. We won well LH did sound of the national anthem echoing along Kalkansecrets narrow streets and off we went to the green grocers for some tomatoes for breakfast. Half a lire for two beautiful tomatoes and sweatily back up the hill to the apartment. The cleaner had been in and it was lovely. Fresh towels both beach and domestic so we had a shower and decided not to meander too far for dinner. Next door to the Nur is the Omar's kitchen. It has had a face lift and looks lovely one to keep in mind but Cafe Ev was just up the road and we thought we'd go there. Didn't plan on the rugby fly half who was outside I'll call it Omar's because I'm ashamed to say I don't know what the new name is. We went left he went left right and so did he Strictly Come Dancing has nothing on us. So we decided what a good idea it was to go to Omar's. Don't know why we didn't think about it in the first place. There was only us there but we were duly seated offered water and a drink did I want sweet red or dry red? Never had a sweet red but went for the dry and it was delicious. Just the right temperature. I chose the sea bass and prawns in a blue cheese sauce with a lovely salad and Bri had moussaka. They were both delicious and while we were waiting for it to be served we watched the antics of the greeter and the opposing teams coming down the road risking life and limb not to be seduced in. It cost 96l and was really lovely and I was sad that because of some of the antics of the greeters some of the best meals are missed because you feel a bit affronted by them.
We meandered back to the apartment for a brandy and a game of crib . I let Bri win a game I won the other two and we then lay ourselves down on the lovely crisp new clean sheets and went to sleep.
Post by: kalkanbelle on September 08, 2014, 09:46:58 AM
Loving your reports Joycie and great to have another daily fix of Kalkan after Lizilu20, Bob and Jayne and Haybo's  fantastic blogs finished.  You made me laugh about the rugby tackler but sounds like it was worth a few bruises!  Keep up the good work.
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 08, 2014, 11:15:22 AM
Another perfect day by the sounds of it joycie.   :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 08, 2014, 01:13:35 PM
Thanks for posting joycie. I think the restaurant you "chose" is Atta..? we never went but heard good things about it.
Oh the things that I have lost between the decking slats at Palm. Flip flops, hairgrips and once my iphone went - still attached to the headphones fortuitously - and I was like a bomb disposal expert trying to guide it gently back up through the gap without it getting detached and plunging to certain extinction.
Yali is a good place to stop - even if the Grand Prix isnt on - when you climb up from the harbour. It perfectly positioned for a comfort (efes) break. We decided to push on a bit further this year and head for Botanik on a couple of those treks and we were glad we did.
Sounds like you are having a lovely relaxing time this year :)
Post by: Haybo on September 08, 2014, 05:29:42 PM
I think it might be Ata Mezze Grill.  We like it there...we tend to have our first and last meals there! We found Kalkan to be a small world too! Joycie, i'm in sutton coldfield!  Also, we bumped into the head of internal audit from my work, the deputy head of the snr school my friends are sending their daughter to, and Bob and jayne live pretty close to my family! I think the secret is well and truly out!
Post by: joycie on September 09, 2014, 06:33:40 AM
Yesterday we bought new hats. It's about time we updated the lovely comfortable pieces that flop into the case and onto our heads mine has a Bon marche label on and Bri has a baseball cap from every corner of the world all we'll worn and sweaty and perfect for throwing in the case. We bought wait for it two very smart trilby looking hats one white one brown. Trouble is yes it does look smart but you have to wear it a certain way you can't just roll over on your sunbed and lie back comfortably it has to be positioned. There's a whole new art in sun hat wearing. Still we do look smart or at least our hats do for the moment.
We had a day testing our sun hats by the pool. Lunch was pizza and wedges from Passaport pizza delivered to our sunbeds by the lovely Omar. We shared a lovely Efes and rolled over and went to sleep.
Where to eat tonight? We meandered down the road and had a drink in lemon garden. Never been in there before and it was nice with a delightful Rottweiler which made us feel at home. When we come home our narrow boat is coming out of the water to be painted and it's the you can rename it if you wish. It's called good boy 3 and I'm still looking for a suitable Turkish version. Any suggestions?
Asian gate was our restaurant of choice and it was lovely. We went Indian although the chinese menu looked delicicious as well. The chicken tikka was to die for we shared a portion of rice had a lovely naan and pop arum between us. Bri had Efes and I had the house red which was lovely. The meal cost 105l and it was lovely best tika I've had. The lady of the house was telling us she comes from northern Cyprus and that her husband is from Pakistan. It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere so I texted Mor to see if they wanted to join us on Saturday for the buffet and she of course replied what do you think? So I booked for Saturday for six for our final meal with Mor and Dave they go home next week but we've still got two to go. SHAME. It will be a bit different to our camp stews when the kids were little and at the end of the holiday we used to open all the tins we'd got left and mix me up together. It was always delicious and the kids still talk about it.
So feeling really contented we climbed the hill back to the Nur apartments and up to the balcony for a brandy and feeling very happy went to bed.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 09, 2014, 11:16:33 AM
Joycie,

So pleased the sun hats are a hit.Love the lemon Garden and heard great reports about the Asian Gate and will definetly go when we are out in a few weeks time.Sounds like you had a yummie meal there.
Love the reports and look forward to the next instalment.

................................................................................

holiday lettings http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Post by: Haybo on September 09, 2014, 09:35:48 PM
We had a visitor at work today who needed a lift to a train station and before i knew it, i had volunteered! I am so glad i did, cos he had just got back from 2 weeks in Kalkan! We had a fab chat....he was really recommending Kalkan Kebap......need a report folks!
Post by: Mayday1 on September 09, 2014, 10:26:05 PM
Hi Haybo,

We have been to Kalkan Kebab.......and I will never go back.The service was awful.We walked out without being served...it was that bad.
The staff were not trained at all.Kalkan is renowned for good service and good food and this is the only place in Kalkan that I have walked out on.
 We went back once more on a separate day to try the food........the service was just as bad but I was much more assertive to make sure we were not ignored etc.The food was ok when it came.......not brilliant at all by Kalkan standards........and it was mainly flies that were plaguing us......it is right on the road,but whatever the reason,there were a lot of flies !

Sorry Haybo.......I wish I could be more positive about the place,but I hate it !

If you want me to list all the reasons for walking out I can do !!

Post by: Haybo on September 10, 2014, 03:38:01 AM
Thanks mayday1. We have never eaten there because i must have read similar comments, however this year, we had it recommended twice in resort, now this.
we need some brave soul to take it on and post a report!
Post by: joycie on September 10, 2014, 06:58:09 AM
Tuesday was the celebration of our first week here. We decided to go to Kas. As we're half way up the hill or half way down depending what direction you're in we decided to walk up to the bus station. We donned our beautiful new hats decided not to take towels etc with us and walked carefree but hot up the hill. We got to the bus station with hats askew and said Kas in our best Turkish accent and the lovely controller well he sat at the desk outside the building said 10oclock too early. He invited us to sit down which we did disappeared for a minute and then returned pointing through the door shouting Kas follow me. Lo and behold there was a lovely big air conditioned bus going to Antalya which stopped at Kas so we got on. We hadn't paid any one and nobody seemed to pay as they got on so we waited to be invited to pay but the bus got under way and we still had our money in our hand. It brought back memories of last year when we were transported to Antalya by the insurance company in a lovely chauffeur driven car. Mind you the bus to Kas was just as nice the views to die for and we knew we weren't going home this time.
We got to Kas bus station and that's when everybody pays. 6l each very good value for money particularly the spectacular views. Brian ascertained that the dolmas came back every half hour and then we meandered down to the harbour for a drink. I had apple tea and Bri had a latte. They were delicious. I then went and purchased a piece of loo roll and went to the ladies. They are spotless if not a little damp underfoot because they are regularly hosed down. I waited for the proper cubicle because I always have a problem with the French hole in the ground type. I either fall in miss my aim or to put it crudely wet myself laughing trying to get in position if you see what I mean . Ablutions done we wandered round Kas.
We walked uphill to the beach as you do in Kas not many places where you walk uphill to the sea but the beach clubs are lovely there and we wished we'd brought our blathers with us. So we diverted from our path and came to a little path which took us to the harbour. A foaming Efes was before my eyes so it seemed rude not to so off into the bar which overlooked the harbour. Can see I put blathers but not going to change it now you know what I mean.
There was a gullet getting ready to leave. The guests were obviously returning from a short break in Kas and lunch was being loaded on. I studied the people and they looked a mixed bunch. Mostly English but I think probably a couple of different nationalities.i know in hotels etc you get many varied types but I wondered to myself in the close confines of a gullet how people managed if they didn't get on or somebody laughed too loudly or personal habits weren't au fait etc.Bri says I was thinking too deeply and he was sure that they were all enjoying themselves.
Anyway lunch was on the agenda so we walked back across the square to the lovely little restaurants overlooking the harbour plonked ourselves down and ordered one mixed omelette and one chickenshish with the biggest Efes each I had ever seen. Because Bri is diabetic he needs a little carbohydrate with his meal so I ordered a bowl of chips to share. Big mistake my meal of chicken shish came with lovely potato and chips and with the extra chips we had enough carbohydrates between us to feed all the diabetics in Turkey.
Meal was lovely so we decided to meander back to the bus station and catch the dolmas.
The return journey was just as nice again no money taken on departure and It was full of Turkish locals rather than tourists. Bri reminded me of one of the first times we had taken the little Kas dolmas and a Turkish gentleman went to sleep on my shoulder and only woke when we got to Kalkan.
I was surprised when we got to Kaputas and I looked over at the beach how many rows of umberellas there were not like it used to be when you only had an umberella if you took your own.
Anyway we returned to Kalkan full tired and happy and I took my book on the bed on the balcony and promptly fell asleep.
Now after all of this rigmarole I 'very got round to what I meant to say. We went to Kalkan Kebap last night. I had moussaka Bri had chicken casserole which he really enjoyed. My moussaka was fine but I was rather full still from lunch time. I had a couple of glasses of red wine perfect temp and we paid 79 l. The staff were lovely and very attentive. Didn't notice an over abundance of flies and all in all for what we paid it was fine.
So although it probably wasn't my favourite meal I would probably try it again.
Post by: Haybo on September 10, 2014, 07:07:30 AM
Wow Joycie, what fabulous service you are providing....anticipating me every requirement! I would like you to have a chilled, relaxing day today!

Will give kalkan kebap a try next year I think! I do recall actually, that Hunkars was the only place we were bothered by flies and that's next door, so it must be something to do with where they are located.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 10, 2014, 07:53:19 AM
Hi Haybo,there you go.It just shows things can be different from day to day .I did go last year and I believe that was their first year.Hopefully things have improved,as you seem to confirm Joycie.

When I had the fly problem,i was sitting at the top right corner,close to the road and close to Hunkars,so again this problem could vary depending on where you are seated.

Lovely report Joycie.I think I understand the difficulties of some Turkish loos.The boat trips I have been on have fortunately been very happy affairs with everyone getting on but yes I agree,if you didn't, it would be slightly annoying ......I'm pleased the holiday is going well
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 10, 2014, 08:55:37 AM
I'm really enjoying your reports joycie. They are so entertaining and brilliant to wake up to in a morning. Work doesn't seem so dreary when I can picture Kas harbour in my minds eye as I sip my morning coffee, waiting for the onslaught!  :) Thank you and please keep 'em coming.  8)
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 10, 2014, 10:11:31 AM
We spent many an hour as always in Kaya on the opposite side of the roundabout to KK and Hunkars...no flies! ..and you are so right about those hole in the ground Grotty Pottys as we know them.(Not even a handle or a piece of rope to hang onto!! >:D)
enjoying your posts joycie :-*
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 10, 2014, 03:07:52 PM
Fab report again Joycie, keep them coming please.  We haven't been to Kalkan Kebap, as always end up in Hunkars as we love their Chicken Shish! although almost did go this year, then changed our minds at the last minute.

Jayne

Post by: Christina on September 10, 2014, 03:22:12 PM
I went to Kalkan Kebab when it had just opened in April last year. I remember that they had problems with clouds of smoke billowing from the BBQ onto the diners, and at that time the food wasn't show stopping - just ok.  However, I do recall asking if they had a pashmina as I was feeling really chilly (doors flung open to let the smoke out) and as they hadn't got any, one of the waiters went to get his own beautifully fragranced suit jacket to put around my shoulders which I thought was rather gallant. As I was on crutches and surrounded by shopping bags, they walked me back to my apartment round the corner and carried my bags for me which was much appreciated.
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 10, 2014, 06:10:00 PM
thanks for posting joycie. I love the road to Kas, but not so fond of Kas when we get there - think it lacks the atmosphere of Kalkan.
Kalkan Kebap has been so many diffrent names over the years - I do believe this years is the first time for a good few years it hasnt changed its name. We've not been since it was Breeze but even then it wasnt one of those places that was always on our list - we went when we didnt feel like going all the way into the Old Town.
Am I being daft....? Where are the doors on this restaurant?  ???
Post by: Mayday1 on September 10, 2014, 09:48:27 PM
Hi Kalkan4eva,

I agree that Kas has no where near the atmosphere that Kalkan has..........it has a really weird feeling for me.I don't feel as comfortable there,and the locals don't seem so friendly.I love the views on the way over and the marina has certainly grown in size,in terms of the amount of boats berthed there.

I also wondered where all the doors in Kalkan Kebab are...............they don't have any !! only possibly at the entrance,although it has an open walk in/walk out area during the season.
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 10, 2014, 10:30:01 PM
Ok, Mayday1, don't feel so bad now if you also think the same about Kalkan Kebap ;D  ;D And you are right about Kas not being as friendly. Can't put my finger on it though....we've tried a day out there lots of times and I never feel any different about the place. Always relieved to get back to Kalkan as quick as possible.
Hope this thread isn't boring anyone..... :P
Post by: joycie on September 11, 2014, 06:27:17 AM
We'll I don't know about you but I'm Kalkan Kepabbed out . Yesterday was going to be a doing a lot of nothing day. I had some postcards that I'd bought with me. Tight eh! Over the years I'd bought loads of calendars and Mor and I usually buy each other one as a holiday present so when we moved house I put all the postcards together and decided to use them. Probably never have to buy another. Did think about writing them before we came away because I knew we were going to have a super holiday and then when we met the people from Rugeley I could have given them to take home to post. Cynical or what. Decided I was getting too mercenary wrote them whilst on the balcony and got our swimming stuff together and mosied on down to the post office.
It must have been pension day yesterday lots of elderly people negotiating the post office steps and one old gentleman parked his walking stick at the bottom and climbed gingerly to the top. Luckily his son was with him and helped him do the reverse journey. I had written 9 postcards 22l to send them. Bri appeared with them and the stamps and we duly stuck them on and tried to post them in the yellow box outside. Would they go in ? Would they Eco as like so after deciding not to fold them in Hal Bri walked back up the steps got another ticket and handed them in over the counter.
Whilst I was waiting for Bri to get his postcard act together I talked to lady who couldn't find the Patara bus. She was moaning that she hadn't been for a couple of years and how things had changed. Well everybody moans at home about how we need change but I honestly believe that Kalkan hasn't changed for the worse. I think the new paving is lovely and really compliments the town and the businesses are still straying on to the pavements. You still have to queue to get past the water lorry or dustbin men in the morning when trying to meander down to the harbour but that's part of its charm.
Anyway she went off to find the bus and we went to Fenners for our daily coffee.
We went over to Palm Beach again and really enjoyed the day had lunch there and a couple of Efes and watched the gullets come into the harbour.
Decided to return when the little boat came back didn't see any turtles today. Sweatily walked back up Everest and stopped at the green grocers for potatoes cucumber tomatoes and spring onions. 2l.
We were going to eat in tonight so went to Kentucky fried chicken as my dear husband calls it purchased a lovely hot chicken and he gave us a little bag with that lovely spice in
Yali was next on the agenda fresh bread and a tub of ice cream.Then the final ascent from base camp (Yali) to the peak (Nur apartments) and we planted our flag we'll hot chicken etc. in the kitchen and went for a shower.
I put jacket potatoes in prepared a salad the chicken was still hot. Came to prepare it and decided I would just have the jacket. Bri enjoyed his and we both had a lovely bowl of ice cream to finish. Sat on the balcony pondering another glorious Kalkan day. Did I tell you I love Kalkan?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 11, 2014, 08:04:27 AM
Joycie, just reading your report this morning, feels like I am back in Kalkan, and thinking about the chicken shop, just reminiscing about when we took one down to the beach one evening with our picnic and stayed there until midnight, absolutely bliss, the beach was still crowded! Have a lovely day and look forward to same time tomorrow! thank you so much for sharing your holiday with us all. Love your postcard story  :)

Jayne
Post by: Babs on September 11, 2014, 08:25:22 AM
Loving my morning Kalkan fix! Thanks for sharing joycie  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 11, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
Lovely report, joycie. Made me quite nostalgic - it's absolutely years since we sent traditional postcards. My family and friends used to remark on how much info I could fit on a card - writing really small. Have to say its also years since I received one :(
Postcards need to be revived but I have to say I do prefer the foriegn stamp to a UK one ;)
Post by: Mayday1 on September 11, 2014, 11:38:11 AM
Lovely report Joycie.Hope you both are having a relaxing fun day.I have to admit I haven't sent any postcards for ages....I suppose too many other ways to keep in touch these days,but actually it is nice to receive something physical,which someone has put a little effort into........so I will get writing in October !!

I love the new road surface and I am pleased that traders have been able to reclaim some of the space to continue trading,as close as possible to their original capacity

I love Palm Beach club..........our local one in Komurluk,and only 150 metres from our apartment,so it is fairly convenient.

I am pleased that you successfully negotiated the climb from Yali (base camp) to  (Mount) Nur.......
...............................................................................................

Post by: joycie on September 12, 2014, 09:23:53 AM
I,m late reporting for duty today problem connecting to the server in tha apartment so unfortunately I,ve had to sit in Kleo bar drinking Efes and doing my blog.
Yesterday was lovely we lazed by the pool after a trip up the road to the market. The pool temperature is like a bath bit different to last year although we were later by a couple of weeks bu WH and me had a really lovely lollop about in the pool.
We needed a few things and decided to meander to Yali. Now as you have been meandering have you ever seen a man whose obviously got himself dressed and you thought to yourself I wouldn't let mine out looking like that. We'll horror upon horrors I had one of my own yesterday. I must have taken my eye off the ball Idont know how he got past me but blue green orange and white shorts with a black and white horizontal striped t shirt. Oh Bri have you seen yourself? We'll you didn't say anything mutter mutter. He's right I didn't but believe me I was more alert this morning as he stood ready for inspection.
It's lovely at the apartments and there are new guests who haven't been to Kalkan before and are really enjoying it. They find the beach clubs difficult because there are no beaches but I told them how nice Palm Beach is and how Yali have the best cushions in the world.
We decided to shower and trundle down to town where we sat in Yali bar eating ghetto popcorn and I had brandy and lemonade and Bri had Efes.
Where to eat? Kiosk was just over the way so we walked a few yards had a perfunctory look at the menu outside and decided I would have steak. So of course when I ordered I had sea bass chips and beautiful vegetables Bri had stuffed chicken. They were  both delicious.We started off with complimentary hot rolls and dips had a bottle of house red and I finished on the nicest cheesecake we had had in ages. 101 l and it was beautiful. Young fellow across from us had the steak and he said it was the best he'd had. Perhaps next time.
We meandered up Everest home and Bris knee gave way. So he hopped and moaned to the top step limped to the balcony and we had a brandy and a whiskey before bed.
It was then that I realised that the server wasn't working and I was so disappointed that I couldn't do my blog so here I am in Kleos everybody say Ah what a hard life nah hopefully I'll speak to you tomorrow.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 12, 2014, 10:48:45 AM
Hi Joycie and Bri,

Lovely report Joycie........I do feel your pain having to head to Kleos to do the blog,but thanks for the sacrifice in order to keep us happy.

I hope Bri's knee is not too bad.I too have to pass the dress code scrutiny of my oh but i occasionally escape.

Have a great day and hope the server is working ok now.......or catastrophe ! it will have to be down to Kleos again to enjoy the odd Efes or two !!
.........................................................................................

Post by: Blue Lizard on September 12, 2014, 01:05:25 PM
Sacre Bleu!!    Poor old Bri!  what man worth his own salt doesn't own a dodgy shirt? Ladeeeez often it seems feel free to comment "Are you going out like that?" cruelly crushing your mans thoughts that he looks smart/ hip or cool or all three! O0  But when your man is asked "Do I look alright" Every man knows for a quiet life and to avoid several clothes changes and the associated mumblings and muttering and to avoid losing valuable drinking time  he must answer "Yes dear you look lovely" :P
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 12, 2014, 04:19:53 PM
Fab again joycie - Poor you having to slum it at kleo with an efes - all in the call of duty ;) I admire your dedication, just wish I was there too  :)

I really know what you mean re the uncoordinated patterns we find our OH's wearing. Poor automan has to pass muster with me too before I let him loose anywhere! He'll not thank me for sharing this though  ;D

BL - how strange, that's just what automan says to me (or words to that effect), sometimes he's not even looking at me... ???
Post by: Babs on September 12, 2014, 06:11:04 PM
Joycie....how noble of you to suffer Kleo for the cause!  ;D ;D
I'm glad you have been enjoying Palm Beach....it's been our favourite beach club for the last few years but when I was having a peep at another forum (I know, shock, horror!) there were some quite damning reports about poor service and sun beds being saved for people who paid tips etc. Was getting me a bit worried......so much so that we are sending our daughter out as a spy in a weeks time......ok, well she was going anyway!!  :laugh:
Post by: Mayday1 on September 12, 2014, 10:10:03 PM
Hi Joycie,

Shaun Ryder from "The Happy Mondays"was pictured at Palm Beach Club today........did you spot him ?

Have a good day !
Post by: Haybo on September 12, 2014, 11:42:35 PM
I have some shocking photos of hubby wearing a truly outrageous outfit last year.....he went to Yali in it and only bumped into someone from work! Karma!

The cheesecake at kosk...the greeter, nigel, told us he makes it himself with ingredients he has to get sent from the uk.  Apparently digestives are hard to come by in Kalkan., who knew!!
Post by: Alce on September 12, 2014, 11:53:32 PM
Been catchin up with your blog Joycie and loving your posts - can't wait to see the views on the way to Kas. Sorry to hear about your server problems, having to drink all those Efes to get on line must be an awful problem  ;)
Post by: joycie on September 13, 2014, 07:55:40 AM
So we're still inter less ness. Yesterday in a panic texted Mor to ask her what she was doing so I could consult Phil her son. Thought it was my I pad anyway it wasn't but had a lovely beach day at Kalkan. We sat by Kleo and I could use my I pad to my hearts content. Watched people come down and put their towels on the chairs fetch the lovely pads which now adorn them and then disappear for gawd knows how long leaving their chairs unattended, Methinks the Germans have invaded NOT!
Lunchtime came I'd done my blog and so guilt free we went into Kleos. Bri had mushroom omelette with a lovely salad and I had a cheese and ham toastei.it was relatively carbohydrate less so we ordered a plate of chips to go with it. Two Efes made life a little bearable while we waited. The meal came but no chips then Stan appeared and apologised and the waiter who took our order apologised and said they were on there way. We'll we ate our meal still no chips and decided to do without just getting up to pay and a great big plateful of chips arrived on the house. So guess what we ate them.
After a nap and a swim we decided to get a taxi back and have a swim in the pool. Nur hotel? We said patiently. We'll after a Manuel moment and a lot of pointing and to my disgrace I nearly took him up the wrong road we arrived at the Nur.
Dumped our stuff by the pool and straight in. Oh it was bliss.
Sat and talked to a couple of ladies who had spent the day at Yali beach club and had loved it and we're going back again today. The beds are simply divine there.
Wasn't very hungry after our chips so decided to do a salad and have a pizza from paste port. We sat and waited with a couple of beers picked up the pizza and sat on our terrace with a glass of red wine. It was delightful.
Decided not to venture out but after a couple of games of crib we grabbed a sunbed Aeschylus turned off all the lights to wait for the moon to cone up over the hill.having worked in a bookmakers for 32 years I thought romantically a little wager on the side was called fir. Now what time would it appear. I plumped for 945. So at 10.50 and still no sign of the blessed thing we went to bed. All bets void.
Guess what this morning as I lay the table for breakfast the first thing I saw was the moon.
Post by: joycie on September 13, 2014, 02:55:15 PM
Do you know I wouldn't know Shaun Ryder if he was sat on the end of my sunbed. Sorryxx
Post by: Mayday1 on September 13, 2014, 03:37:47 PM
Hi Joycie,

Just read your wonderful report.I will definetly try the beach sunbeds,with new cushions in October.This makes such an improvement to the comfort.Love mushroom omelette with salad and chips..........(a freebee portion at the end is fine by me) and an Efes or two certainly helps !

Are you 100 % sure that Kleo bar has not sabotaged you interweb server......they are doing good business from you.............(The conspiracy theory !! )

I wouldn't worry too much about Shaun Ryder...I am sure he is having a wonderful time chilling,as you and Bri hopefully are.......carry on posting,and of course......Enjoying your hol !

Post by: joycie on September 14, 2014, 06:31:53 AM
Yesterday was a pool day again. It was very hot but first we decided to meander to Carrefour because we could. We walked up there at a slow pace and wandered in to its lovely cool confines. Truth be told it was no different to the other new supermarkets and I doubt we would walk there especially to do our shopping and I wonder if it will go the same way as the other supermarket it replaced.
Wandered down the road and decided to return home but first have a coffee at Nur patisserie. I asked for the password for the internet and it was baklava 2 which I spelt with a c and couldn't of course get connected. I was getting quite frustrated when a kind gentleman showed me the error of my ways. I did what I wanted to  eyed up the wonderful cakes decided against thinking what a good girl am I and wandered back to our lovely apartment. We picked up WH and lay down by the pool. Martyn's was sat by the pool he apologised for our internet problems and said how the internet had become a big plus for rentals and how one villa had suffered greatly because of the lack of it.
We wanted some money because we were eating out so went to the HSBC cash dispenser. The sun was shining straight on it and we couldn't see and a gentleman that was scurrying up the road told his wife had had her purse taken from her handbag which was hanging on the back of her chair in a restaurant the night before. He didn't say which one but they were going home yesterday and he wax going to the police station to get a crime number.I was so sad especially for the couple concerned but also because he had been coming a number of years and never had a problem like us but also because he was convinced it wax someone British that had done if. Surely we haven't come to that!
Anyway wallet repacked we went back to shower ANC change. We were meeting Mor and Dave at the beagle bar for drinkies before we ate. The beagle didn't disappoint and appeared with a lovely bloody bone to chew. As we were laughing and discussing our day with a lovely cool Efes there was a commotion behind us and some poor lady had tripped and fell at the barriers right by the bar. Several people rushed to help but the greatest help were the local Turkish. Shopkeepers. They sat her gingerly down gave her a drink and phoned for a doctor. He speedily arrived and she cried when he touched her arm and we wondered if she'd broken it? A lovely scarf was found to support it and a yellow taxi hastily summoned to ferry her away.Wondered if she'd do the same trip to Fethiye that I did or if they had facilities for breakages closer to home. I noticed money being exchanged between the doctor and herself and thought how lucky we were that the insurance company dealt with everything for us.
Hope she's fine and her arm is now set and on the mend.
So after an ooh ouch moment for this poor woman we made our way back up the hill to Asian Gate. We thought it was going to be a buffet but they said because there was not enough people booked it was the normal menu. Oh well we'll suffer in silence. We mixed the Indian and the Chinese. Bri had lovely chicken spring rolls to start with and I had spare ribs. Dave and Phil shared a starter platter and Mor had veg spring rolls. Oh it was absolutely delicious.We ordered a couple of bottles of house red and a couple of white both served at exactly the right temperature. For mains Bri and I had beef with mushrooms Ali had chicken with beansprouts etc and she said it was the best shed ever had Dave and Phil had vindaloo not sure what mor had. We'd had poppadoms with a delicious dip or three to start off another couple of bottles of wine and then a complimentary brandy each to finish.450 lire in total for the six of us but it was the best Indian/Chinese meal ever. The owners 5 year old in a beautiful red sparkly dress came round and brushed the tables so daintily and then the chef himself appeared and we thanked him for a lovely meal. We asked him where he hot his wonderful chine she's cookery skills from he laughed and said he'd lived him China for a couple of years. Don't think so pulling our legs but it really was the most delicious meal and hopefully we'll be able to partake of the buffet at some point.
We all meandered back down the stairs waved to the greeter at Chilies Mor and co went off to find a taxi and we climbed back up Everest to our lovely apartment.
Day 11 completed 11 more to go. Oh what a wonderful thought.

Post by: Christina on September 14, 2014, 10:00:08 AM
I am almost certain the family with the missing purse were guests of mine - Kalkan regulars - who left Kalkan yesterday. I got a call from my property manager early this morning to say that my cleaners had found a wallet with a large amount of money, cards, Raybans etc. that the previous guests had left behind. I rang the family straight away who were so relieved. They explained they had been to the police and cancelled the cards, but it had taken the edge off their otherwise perfect holiday. You'll be pleased to know that the 'lost' items will be reunited with their owners in the next couple of days. So hopefully, rather than a sad story of possible theft in our lovely town, a heartwarming story of trustworthyness and honesty.

Whilst we're on the subject. in July I withdrew some cash from the ATM at the Denizbank above Yali and stupidly left my card behind. I was halfway down the road almost at the betting shop when an older Turkish man came chasing behind me to give me my card back.

And last year my sister lost her purse - last seen before she got into a taxi at Kleo after a couple of wines late one night. After retracing her steps the next day, we stopped by the taxi rank and spoke to the guys. One of them made a phone call to trace the driver who had made the pick up - who happened to be on a day off. The driver was at home but went out into his cab and found the missing purse. Not only that, he drove down from the mountains to return it to my very relieved sis who was happy to give him a small 'reward' for his trouble and honesty.

Post by: joycie on September 14, 2014, 10:11:51 AM
Thank you Christina for letting us know so glad that everything turned out well.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 14, 2014, 04:31:10 PM
Joycie, I am loving your posts every day, what a lovely time you are Bri are having, and your meal at Asian Garry sounded lovely! I hope that the poor lady who fell is okay too. When I read about the missing wallet, I felt so sorry for that lady too, but was so happy to read your post Christina, that it has now been found, it is so nice to hear about people's honesty isn't it?

11 days left of your holiday Joyce, how exciting for you both, but also very exciting for us on EK, because that means at least 11 more of your fab posts to read!  ;D. Hope that doesn't sound too selfish of me!  ;D

Jayne
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 14, 2014, 05:22:17 PM
Joycie, did you wear pink or white to Asian Garry last night, as there is lovely of a group of 6 people having dinner on there today!  :D

Jayne
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 14, 2014, 06:11:24 PM
Yes I noticed a lovely pic of a party of 6 dining at Asian Garry on Facebook too. I wonder if that was you Joycie?
Still loving your reports  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 14, 2014, 09:19:15 PM
Loving your reports, joycie.
Post by: Haybo on September 14, 2014, 09:21:19 PM
Who was it that said that these reports are boring? How wonderful that in this small community we can report on a sad situation, only to find out that there was a happy ending! Glad also to hear that Asian Garry is still living up to expectations!
Post by: joycie on September 15, 2014, 06:06:55 AM
So yesterday was another pool day. First we were going to walk into Kalkan we needed a few bits and bobs and Bri suggested that I choose between the bag at BSG that I have coveted since I first saw it or some silver to adorn my arms or ears. Oh decisions decisions. We walked past BSG it wasn't open yet but my bag was in the window in yet another different colour. Perhaps if I was very very good I could have one in each colour. Some hope or no hope! Past all the jewellers because I really can't make up my mind. Oh we'll we have another 9 days I thought it was 11 miscounted or a bit of wishful thinking.
Into Fenners and one Turkish tea and a fresh orange juice please. Confused them because we always had a latte and a cappuccino buy hey oh a change is as good as a rest. The boats were starting to go out and we waved to the happy people who we're jockeying for position on the front of the boats. Suddenly somebody shouted "oh you're wrapped round my anchor"and when we looked up Zeus not the god but the boat had managed to entangle himself on a flotilla boats anchor. So a nimble sailor from Zeus climbed over the bow of the boat(you can tell we're sailors) we'll I suppose a narrow boat on the Trent and Mersey counts  and pulled up the entangled mess. He was balancing daintily on the anchor chain and if it had been me I'd have got the equivalent of a great big pair of scissors and cut the lot off. Bri always says that I've got no patience. The yacht was moving forward a little and none of the passengers on Zeus seemed bothered sat there drinking tea etc.but the Captain persevered and soon all was unentangled detangled whatever and off they went. Phew it was hard work watching that much physical exercise so early.
We returned to the apartment had a cup of Apple tea and went to the pool. WH was with me and the ladies at the pool all wanted one. I told them that there had been some for sale at CanCan and one of the ladies who knew the owner e mailed him and lo and behold yes he had got two 53 lire each so they were reserved and off she went up the hill to fetch them expect we'll see them today.
Lovely day lazing by the pool had fetched some bread from the bakers underneath the green grocers so we had a plough mans lunch and a glass of wine and then back to the pool.
We wandered down into town hadn't decided where to eat but wasn't it funny the football was on at Yali and so we sat in the front stalls and watched a bit of Man Utd v QPR. I was getting hungry so I eased Bri from his seat and we walked up the steps at the side of Yali bar straight into ISos. I think we surprised them because we walked in under our own steam. They didn't have to tempt us and I think we spoiled their game. It was like walking into a police station to confess our crime. There was only us there but pretty soon it filled up with lovely people mostly English all with the same aim. Eating.
We had a starter of lovely cheese rolls and salad I had a wonderful steak and mixed in the salad was some lovely red cabbage. Bri had lamb casserole which was set aflame at the table and a lovely portion of vegetables I had Creme caramel as pudding a couple of glasses of red 83 lire. It was delicious. We walked out talked to a lovely couple who were sat having a drink and climbed back home.
Just about to go past the Lemon Garden when we remembered Martyn was playing there tonight so we walked in. It was very busy and we waved to Martyn and Fiona sat down and listened to the lovely music he and Cenk made.
Tired we decided to depart. Not even a drink on the balcony tonight but a lovely day nonetheless.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 15, 2014, 07:24:07 AM
Hi Joycie,
What another fab report.You cant keep torturing yourself when walking past BSG,The purchase will have to be made........its inevitable !! The only decision is colour.....or buy one of each colour !

Yes Manchester United were finally off and running with a well needed win under their belt.Watched it at home......but would have far preffered to have been in Yali with an ice cool Efes !

Sounded another delightful,chilled day by the pool. Here's hoping you have a fab day today.
............................................................................................

Post by: joycie on September 15, 2014, 07:44:38 AM
Thank you will do its a hard life xx
Post by: MartynE on September 15, 2014, 06:02:25 PM
Hi Joycie, sorry we didn't get a chance to talk to you at the Lemon Garden. It was so busy! But by the time the break had come you had gone! All this work must be tiring you out ;) Lovely reports by the way x

Ps don't forget there's a power cut tomorrow morning between 8am and midday so the internet won't work...get your report in early!!!
Post by: joycie on September 15, 2014, 06:42:47 PM
Thanks Martyn it was a lovely atmosphere in the Lemon Garden but we were tired and decided to meander home to your lovely Daybreak.
Post by: joycie on September 15, 2014, 07:55:31 PM
So it's quarter past nine at night and have decided to do my blog early well for me because of the power cut tomorrow. So here we go.
We walked out  through the back gate because we hacks decided that Yali beach club was our choice for today. We walked up hill and along probably parallel with the Kalamar road took a left and ended up next to the original Chinese restaurant. We had had a meal here when we first came to Kalkan all freshly cooked and if I remember not too bad. Across the Kalamar road and the Melding was on our left. When we were first dropped off in Kalkan the bus used to pull up at the Melding and Mustapha or Carlos from the lovely Serra was there to meet us and we walked down to the Hotel because the road wouldn't accommodate a bus. So we meandered down the road  past Villa Ilhan  it's called something else now but I had a wonderful 60th birthday there and past the Serra which is now a private villa but our wonderful introduction to Kalkan took place at the Serra boutique hotel.
Oh the memories of our first holidays in Kalkan so on past the  Lixor where we had had a meal when it first opened and it was terrible and down the rickety path to Yali. We had stopped at Yali before it was posh and had a lovely holiday there. We had the pent house room and had a lovely time there and when we used to go go Careta Caretta for a meal.
So all these lovely memories came back as we descended the steps to Yali beach.. The two ladies from Nur apartments were already there and waved to us from the middle of the ocean. We took our payment card and tried to decide where to park ourselves for the day. We had the whole beach club to choose from and finally decided not too far from the dining terrace. The beds there are lovely. In front of us were Dutch? Americans and of course British. It was a change to hear the different accents esnpecially as the Dutch went between their own language and English so eloquently to speak to the boys and make known their requirements. The boys are fantastic with all the different languages as well. the British came across as very Ooh la la well to me they did but the old Yali had gone the one I remembered anyway. We had a lovely meal there Bri had tuna club sandwich with chips and I had a cheeseburger. The whole day cost 107 l which was our drinks etc as well as our lovely meal.
We decided to return at about 4 o'clock so Bri payed the bill and we climbed the steps and walked round the headland back to the harbour. It was very hot.
There was no taxi about so we went to Fenners for a drink and watch the boats return to their safe harbour. There were a number of flotilla boats trying to park or moor for those sailors among us and there was quite a queue trying to get into the harbour. The dive boat steamed past them all pipping his horn as he went ANC they all managed to find a space and drop their anchors in e safe harbour of Kaljan.
We walked back to the taxi rank at the end of the harbour a taxi appeared ANC off we went up the hill to the Nur. Missed several cars along the way thank goodness and I was glad to alight safe and sound. We climbed up to the pool and the ladies were there with there new water hammocks. We smiled and admired them and climbed up to the safe haven of Daybreak. So that was our day today another wonderful sojourn in Kalkan I'll let you know how us and the power cut get on.
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 15, 2014, 10:44:32 PM
At least you wern't kept in the dark about the Power Cut :P
Post by: joycie on September 16, 2014, 07:44:23 AM
Oh very good Blue Lizard. We're sat on the each 945am watching the boats go out.
Post by: Babs on September 16, 2014, 06:00:54 PM
Sigh......at 9.45 I was sitting in a whole team meeting!  ::)
Post by: joycie on September 16, 2014, 06:52:14 PM
Today has been lovely. The Turkish kids have gone back to school and we watch them while we eat our breakfast as they climb the hill hand in hand. The power cut was expected at 800am so we got out of bed did breakfast and decided to go to the town beach . We chose our sun beds close to Kleos got the mattresses from there and decided to have an apple and a Turkish tea. We opened a tab drank up and retired to our sun beds. The boats were going out and the yacht that we had watched come in yesterday was leaving but with difficulty. It couldn't raise its anchor. Backwards and forwards until eureka the a chirp appeared and the yacht was off. We lay back down. I've got a Martina Cole novel which I'm really enjoying and Bri likes to play solitaire on the I pad.
My hat was over my eyes but in front of us a Brit was running round trying to organise about 10 sun beds. I was looking underneath my hat watching him organise the beds sending someone off for the mattresses and generally martialing the first row of the beach. In dries and drabs the occupants arrived kiss kiss moments happened and everybody sat down. We've seen this group before and they are obviously Kalkan regulars either inhabitants of long term holiday stayers. Anyway truth be told I list interest ANC leg em get on with it.
We had lunch at Kleos. It was lovely pizza and chips with two Efes and then back to serious sun bathing.
We meandered back through the town at 400pm and I looked in Just Silver to see if I could find my hearts desire but no and then past BSG where my handbag was. Could I gave it in every colour? I could tell by the look that the answer was no so I reluctantly conceded that we'd still got another week so my mind could still be made up. As we climbed through the town the last jewellers was RAMO. I come from Kalkan ANC I give you best deal. In the window were two sapphire bracelets. My heart leapt. The last time I'd been that excited was in Lichfield passing Salloways the jewellers. £13000 pounds for a sapphire and diamond bracelet. Bri went in. I didn't but pointed at my hearts desire. It was £840 pounds. The other one was £1500. Cheaper than £13000 but Bri didn't seem to agree. Come in said Mr RAMO try it on. My hand was gingerly proffered and the bracelet fitted to my wrist. Oh it was just perfect but my heart told me no. Was it cash if credit card probably cash said I bravely without looking at Bri. Then I thought well I'd be terrified to wear it in case I lost it etc so perhaps a handbag would be better value for money. I turned and left the shop Mr RAMO gave Bri his card  with a price of £665 on it. So never say never you never know.
We ate at Chilies and it was delicious. There was a lovely kitten in there committing Hari Kari and playing with my skirt. The Turkish gentleman opposite was laughing and said his name was Borish? And that he loved cats. He said that he played every night in the Turtle Bar next door and we told him how we'd enjoyed listening to Martyn at the Lemon Garden. He said that Martyn was welcome to join him any night and I said that I would pass the message on. So Martyn if you are reading this the invitation is there.
I disentangled myself from the Kitten and we returned to our lovely apartment where we ins have a brandy and a whiskey to complete our evening.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 17, 2014, 07:16:13 AM
Joycie,
Another lovely and humerous report.It is great that the holiday is going so well for you both.I don't think the power cut happened,for the majority yesterday,did it ?

Sun hats are just great for secret observing,on the beach ( without detection ! )......as well as protecting from the sun !! ( its main purpose,of course ! )

You have described my perfect scenario....pizza and chips,with two Efes..and then !!....more sun bathing !..It will be my turn to enjoy these delights soon...counting down the days !

We like Chillies a lot and the music next door is great.In June,the staff at Chillies asked us if we thought it would put customers off by having music so regularily next door.I said that I thought it would add to the atmosphere of the restaurant.I did add that if customers were to visit Chillies every night then the music may get a bit repetitive.....but with so much excellent choice in Kalkan,i doubt most would go every evening,lovely as it is.

Have another great day today both.

Post by: joycie on September 17, 2014, 07:58:33 AM
Thank you it really was a lovely day. Borish the guys name sounded like and were going to make a determined attempt to listen to him before we go home. Mind you we want to go to Adems as well and of course return to Asian Gate. So many things to do and even after nearly 3 weeks time is fast running out.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 17, 2014, 08:23:52 AM
I think the name of the chap could be Baris......pronounced Barish.I know a few people of that name round town.

Yes, days shoot by,don't they.............."time flies when you're having fun",as the saying goes !

Post by: BarbH on September 17, 2014, 09:43:18 AM
We heard Baris sing twice in June, he has a nice voice and  he sings a lot of Beatles and Eric Clapton numbers.
Post by: joycie on September 17, 2014, 08:19:11 PM
Getting so close to the end of our howls it's frightening. Today Mor and Dave and Phil and Ali go home so we had arranged to meet them for a meal. We had never been to Aqua before but had been to Vita plenty of times. We set off up the hill thinking we could get there without changing tack. Wrong again so we descended to the road walked up heartbreak hill past Enes and on to Cafe Aqua. There were already a few people in there eating we had arranged to meet at 12.30. We ordered a couple a couple of Efes and sat down. No more cold Efes were to be had. They hadn't ordered enough to put in the fridge so we were offered malt Efes. Truth be told if I'd have been given this as an ordinary Efes I wouldn't have known the difference.
The going home gang arrived and we sat there smugly knowing that we weren't going home till Tuesday. Shame they were sad.
We all ordered our meals I had cheeses burger Bri had cheeses and mushroom omelette the others had omelettes and jacket potatoes with coronation chicken. Phil had a pizza. With the drinks the bill came to 210l for the six of us.
Can I just say at this point my iPad has a mind of its own so I apologise for various spelling mistakes.
Anyway we had to wait a fair time for our meal but when it arrived it was very nice no complaints.
It was soon time to kiss and say goodbye. Next time we meet would be at our new bungalow so we bade farewell and said we would phone when we got hone. Did I sat we weren't going home till Tuesday.
We walked back down the Kalamar road. No dogs following us thus time. Mor and Dave told us of the dig they lured from Kalamar thus week to the vets in Kaljan because it had terrible mange. The vets gave it an injection released it back in Kalamar and said they would look for it on a regular basis and give it the ensuing injections.
I'm not sure that I would have been so generous as them but I promised to look for the dog if I got a chance.
We got back into Kalkan and decided we would eat in tonight. Threw my clothes off put my sarong on and promptly fell asleep on the balcony of e apartment. Bri went out bought two lovely potatoes I grated some cheeses and we had lovely jacket potatoes with salad for dinner on the back balcony. We followed this with diced fresh plums and ice cream. It was lovely.
So another day with not a lot happening has become another report from me. The holiday is slowly winding down and I still haven't got my bracelet. Tomorrow maybe?

Post by: kalkan4eva on September 18, 2014, 02:40:03 PM
Thanks for posting, joycie. Feels like you have been on holiday forever - although its probably flown for you both :'(
I have to say, I have been having a right chuckle at your predictive text ;D ;D
This post starts with you telling us your coming to the end of your "howls" - it reminds me of the policeman in Allo Allo! Showing my age there :)
Enjoy the rest of your stay :)
Post by: joycie on September 18, 2014, 03:00:54 PM
Thanks it does remind you of allo allo I was just pissing by the window etc. sometimes I don't read it till the end and then I can't be bothered to change all the howlers it would be quicker to redo it. Oh well I,m sure people get the gist. Only 5 more to do and then you can be left in peace.xx
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 18, 2014, 03:27:54 PM
I dont know what we'll do without you posting everyday. I for one dont want to be left in peace...predictive text or no predictive text :)
Post by: joycie on September 18, 2014, 08:15:50 PM
Last night was full of dogs barking and cats miaowing. I wondered if the dog that Mor had taken to the vets had found us and was getting his own back. I put the fan on and it drowned out all the other noises.
We meandered down town after an egg and bacon breakfast and decided to go to Indigo beach club today. We didn't go last year but we found a seat by the sea and sat down. It was roasting hot  and there were people on the flying sofa enjoying themselves in quite a rough sea. We had lunch at the restaurant . I had a cheese and tomato toastei and Bri had a tuba melt. They were very nice washed down with a couple of Efes and then back to my book and sunbed. We stayed till about 400pm and then decided to meander home. On the way out there was a notice stating that the club would be closed Friday and Saturday because  of a wedding. Turkish or English I do not know but have no doubt I shall try and have a nose and report back.
We got into a taxi at the harbour so no walk past my bracelet then. Hm I'll have to work out another plan.
Decided we would go to Adems tonight but didn't know how to phone him on my English pay as you go mobile. Luckily Fiona was at the apartment and so we used her Turkish mobile and sorted a pick up of 6.30
Adem arrived dead on time and took us to his lovely restaurant. He was pleased to see Bri fit and healthy because that was where Bri had had his heart attack last year. He told us that his house was our second home he's so lovely. We had a lovely starter of mushrooms and onions and garlic with cheese rolls. I had steak in a cream sauce and Bri had moussaka. They were delicious. I had had a couple of g&ts and Bri had an Efes and I also had a fresh fruit salad.LOVELY.
We sat next to a very nice couple who were buying a house in Kalamar. It had got to be knocked down and started again and quite a few trips to Kalkan had been undertaken already. She was a physiotherapist and her husband was still working and the'd even had to do a weekend trip to sort something out with the house. She said the planners in Kalkan are very fussy. Well that's hard to believe !
They had been left a free brandy each by a friend but would you believe neither of them liked brandy so they offered them to us. Seemed rude not to.
Adem was very busy. His elder kids are all away at school so in between ferrying people around waiting at the tables etc. we didn't see a lot of him.
We asked for our bill  150l duly paid and Adem took us and another couple home. They were stopping in Bezigran blimey that was a hair raising journey. Adem showed us some of the local architecture particularly the original water tanks which he said were 500 years old and then he showed us the spectacular view of Kalka. Phew what a view.
We carried on down to Kalkan and were dropped outside the Nur. I told him that he was my guardian angel after last years episode and he told me once again don't forget your second home.
There was one story that disturbed me on our heater skeleton ride down the mountain. Last night 5 people English he thinks wanted to pay by credit card and the machine wasn't working. No problem said Adem you cone back tomorrow have breakfast or lunch bring me the money tomorrow.500 lire. That's right you've guessed it they haven't appeared. His wife is really upset because like all the family she works really hard and 500lire is a lot of money. He went into Kalkan to see if he could find them but of course they had long hone. So sad for such a lovely man and his family I could have cried.
So I end my tale tonight on a sad note particularly as the people concerned were British.
Post by: Haybo on September 18, 2014, 09:50:28 PM
Thats so sad Joycie. Adam is a lovely guy and doesnt deserve this. Sadly the rest of us will suffer for their selfish behaviour. It would be great if he could find out who they rented from so they can be tracked down.
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 19, 2014, 08:47:25 AM
Heater skeleton  ;D Is that helter skelter maybe  ??? ;D I'll miss your reports so much  Joycie, they've been so funny and please keep going for as long as you can.

Poor Adem. I feel so bad for him as he is such a genuine guy. Our regular taxi driver was ripped off while we were in Kalkan this summer. He had taken a couple (he thought they were Dutch or German) to Kaputas and told them to pay on the return journey at 6pm. You've guessed it, they weren't there and he hung around until 6.50, making us late for our trip down to town. He was so apologetic making us wait and offered to give us our ride for free, of course we paid him and gave him a tip. This is the guy who offered us the use of his spare Turkish mobile as we were explaining how expensive phone calls were for us. Of course we declined that offer too, but it breaks my heart and makes my blood boil when I hear stories like this.  :'( >:(
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 19, 2014, 08:48:54 AM
Sadly scumbags are everywhere and in all nationalities..but we do seem to have more than our fair share in the UK.The hospitality and friendship and indeed trust shown by Turkish people is second to none and this sort of stuff is a real slap in the face and sadly tarnishes us all.
Post by: joycie on September 19, 2014, 09:45:52 AM
Just laughed at my own report. Apart from the other gaffes did you notice that Bri had a TUBA melt. I can't get the vision of a great heap of melted tuba on a sandwich out of my mind. I meant tuna of course. The b and the n are together must be more careful or go back to mornings when I haven't had a drink.
Post by: Christina on September 19, 2014, 09:48:48 AM
Without wishing to go off topic - a long-established (and one of the nicest) restaurant greeters in Kalkan remarked to me that this year, some of the 'new breed' of English visitors have been shockingly rude to him, whilst others have wanted to haggle over the price of a steak. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I agree that Adem should try to locate the property owner whose guests did a runner from his restaurant.
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 19, 2014, 10:37:20 AM
This is so embarrassing for British visitors. I say British, as opposed to English as the UK is more than England and we should be more aware of that today than any other day ;)
I hope Adem is able to track down the thieves - because that's what they are - via the accommodateion owners. Could some Ex-pats please help him do this.
Joycie I have to say, I did laugh out loud at "tuba melt" - you have brightened up my day with your report but at the same time I am desperately sad that people would take advantage of the wonderful trusting nature of so many of our Turkish friends.
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 19, 2014, 02:05:13 PM
mmm!!! melting a tuba??? what a great idea!!..this instrument makes a hideous noise and I get images of fat German men in lederhosen and trilby hats when I hear one...very disturbing!  Aaaaaagh!!
Post by: joycie on September 19, 2014, 02:54:34 PM
T
Honk  meant think why did honk appear any way I digress time to give up this blog is driving everybody crazy !
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 19, 2014, 03:05:08 PM
Yes Joycie, please keep your posts coming, they have been brilliant, tuba and all! Loved that one, know what you mean though about not worth going back and correcting typos, it is such a faff doing that. Worse thing is when you've done a long post and don't save it, then it disappears, so annoying!

I am so so sad to hear about poor Adem, I am so angry and shocked that someone could do that, you would not ever find a nicer person, he is a true gentleman! I really hope that they can track these people down and make them pay up!! Yes I would definitely try and find out where they were staying and the property owner.

Jayne
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 19, 2014, 03:07:23 PM
no, joycie you are keeping us entertained in more ways than one. You can't give up until it time to go home. What will we do...? :(
Post by: Babs on September 19, 2014, 04:47:00 PM
There are a few posts on ktln today about Kalkan having a different type of clientele this year.......odd, my daughter doesn't arrive till this evening!  :laugh: seriously  though it makes me angry that people can be so downright selfish and mean and then get us Brits (all nationalities) a bad name.

On a jollier note I am going to start a campaign.....all those who vote for joycie to carry on with her daily posts (typos included) even when home please sign below..........
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 19, 2014, 05:00:55 PM
I shuld lick Joycie to curry on pusting ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 19, 2014, 06:41:35 PM
Ha ha ha!!! Bliddy prod@?tid tixt! Me too please add my monicker Babs  ;D ;D
Post by: Haybo on September 19, 2014, 07:12:16 PM
Yus pleeeeeze
Post by: joycie on September 19, 2014, 08:21:21 PM
Well this is my second attempt at a comprise mention report of another day in heaven.
We had breakfast on the balcony and then meandered down to Fenners to watch the boats go out. On the way out Fiona was in the bottom apartment trying to sort out somebody to open the safe. The girls had cocked up the combo and Fiona who should have been on a boat trip with her sister was  trying to get a safe engineer to open e safe for the Girls. who were going home todsy. We left her to it.
We meandered down to Fenners carefully missing the jewellers on the way I promise you we will get there in the end veered off by Kosk and bought a lampshade for my new bungalow and then on down to Fennerd. I had fresh orange Brinhad a latte and we watched the boats go out. A couple got entangled but on e whole they all hot away without too much bother.
We walked back past the old Kaptans and up the hill. It was quite a climb and I took some photos of the beautiful old properties along the way. We went part Isos where we had had a lovely meal past my jewellers we will stop there soon and on up to the green grocers where we bought 4 lovely tomatoes at 1.5 lire.
On up to Ysli where we bought a newspaper a bottle of wine and some bacon. Final leg up to Ghent Nur apartments.
Fiona and her sister were sitting by the pool as we left because they had missed their boat trip because of the errant safe. They  weren't there anymore so we deposited our shopping and decided to go to cafe Ev for lunch. I had a tuna melt with chips Hri had a mushroom omelette with chips 3 Efes between us 55lire. Excellent.
We watched do kids come home for a dinner break. The zebra although lemon and white crossings were manned by two policemen. The traffic duly stopped and only one triad to go the wrong way up the dual carriageway and he was stopped and chastised by the policeman. The kids  all hot home safely. Going back after dinner there were no policemen on the crossing and the kids took their lives into there hands to get across the road back to school.
We paid and went back go Daybreak. We decided to have the afternoon by the pool. It was lovely there was only us there. We slept and read and at 5.00 pm decided to go back to Daybreak for a shower.
All clean I sat on the balcony read my book and Bri played solitaire on the I pad.
At 6.40 we meandered down to the Lemon a Garden for a drink  and then on to  Asian gate for dinner. It was delicicious we had Indian starters and chine she's mains.
We paid the bill climbed Everest home and stopped at Yali for an ice cream for me.
All my clothes are now in the wash because the ice cream melted immedistely I opened it.
We'd had another perfect day and have no plans for tomorrow so we ,ll see what happens.
Post by: Babs on September 19, 2014, 09:30:49 PM
Joycie....as on form as ever....bless you!  :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 19, 2014, 09:35:44 PM
Yes, brilliant Joycie!  :D
Post by: Haybo on September 19, 2014, 09:56:06 PM
All this, but joycie gets Asian Garry right......
Post by: joycie on September 20, 2014, 05:33:50 AM
Once again the text is all over the place and I've never been to Ghent in my life. Honest. I lost my first attempt and foolishly decided to have another brandy and do it again. Hence a lot more mistakes sorry but I think you'll get the gist.
Post by: Haybo on September 20, 2014, 07:25:52 AM
It makes your reports all the more special.

Come on Bri......take this lady jewellery shopping! You've  dodged it for way too long! :P
Post by: joycie on September 20, 2014, 07:58:41 PM
Wow today has been exactly a year since Bri had his heart attack at Adems. I told Adem he was our guardian angel and so a year later we are here having a fabulous holiday.
Today I hadn't even realised what a momentous occasion had occurred  a year ago Bri didn't mention it till later.
We decided to go down to  Fenners have a drink and decide beach club or town beach. Before we got to Fenners we decided on a town beach day so headed straight for the beach to grab two sun beds. I like to sit within range of Kleos so I can use my wi-fi so two lovely beds under the tree close to the litter bin romantic or what were commandeered. I went to Kleos got two mattresses made up our beds and then off to Fenners for coffee. Most of the boats went out and there were a lot full of young ones really enjoying themselves. I was just glad I wasn't one of them.
We returned to our sun beds it was really hot. Because it was a Saturday a lot of locals were on the beach and they definetly out numbered the Brits. Mind you it was so family orientated and it was a joy to see the little ones being taken notice of.
We went to Kleos for lunch. I had pideler and Bri his usual mushroom omelette. We had 3 Efes between us and then it was back to the sun beds. A young Turkish Mom with her son appeared to go in the sea. She was dressed head to toe in a waterproof trouser suit but he had more sensible swimming trunks on. She was a really good swimmer but I wondered how comfortable she was in her outfit and there were lots of young Turkish families in western style outfits and swimming gear. They certainly looked more comfortable but she and her son were really enjoying themselves so who am I to judge.

We stopped till 5pm had another Efes between us and started the walk up to our apartment. It was then that Bri mentioned that it had been a year since his heart attack. A WOW moment overtook me but we climbed steadily up the hill until Ramos was in sight. It was still in the window so Bri said come on it's now or never make up your mind. I did instantaneously and was in the shoo like a bolt of lightening. Ramos remembered us but not which bracelet I wanted. So quick as a shot I was outside pointing to my hearts desire. He retrieved it from the window put it on my wrist and showed me how to securely fasten it. I learn very quickly in theses circumstances and I stood drooling with my lovely bracelet secured on my wrist. We knocked him down a few more pounds and he found me a lovely box to put it in. He wrapped it in silver sparkly paper and put three bows on the package and then a lovely black and gold bag to carry it in. Oh the joy when I walked up the hill with my precious parcel. I kissed Bri I could have cried remembering only a year ago we were off to Fethiye with a dubious outcome in the offing. It went straight into the safe but will be shown the light of day tomorrow when I promised to send a picture to my friend Mor.
So we showered and decided to go to the Lemon Garden for a drink. We both had gin and tonics and the rottie insisted on playing fetch the plastic bottle. So we were hurling a plastic bottle around trying not to disturb the other clientele with a dog that big climbing over everything to fetch it back.
Chilies became our choice for food again. We like it there and Mr Happy was pleased to see us. I had the chilies special chicken Bri had the sizzling lamb and they were both delicious. We had a lovely conversation with a couple whose sons had returned to Uni today and they had a whole week left to their own devices.
So after complimentary apple tea we bade farewell climbed the hill and are now on our terrace with a brandy and a whiskey.
A bit different to last year when Bri was in intensive care and I spent a night on my own in the English speaking patients department at Fethiye.
Post by: BarbH on September 20, 2014, 10:28:13 PM
So glad to hear you had a special day. So much different from  a year ago AND you got the bracelet!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday,

Barb
Post by: Haybo on September 21, 2014, 06:47:50 AM
What a wonderful way to mark the anniversary - a day in paradise and you get a gift!   My husband had a heart attack too last year. It was hard to believe a year had passed. He is fully recovered - he's off on his off road motorbike today, racing in Wales!
Post by: joycie on September 21, 2014, 07:27:44 AM
Thank you yes it was a wonderful present. Glad your husband is Ok too. It's so worrying at the time but life is great now and Kalkan is wonderful as usual.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 21, 2014, 07:58:52 AM
Yes, what a difference a year can make, so pleased that Bri is fully recovered Joycie,  :D and Haybo, your OH too,  :D bet he is excited about his motorbike race today isn't he?

So thrilled you got your bracelet Joycie, enjoy the rest of your holiday in sunny Kalkan!  8) 8) 8)

Jayne
Post by: joycie on September 21, 2014, 09:07:17 AM
We're in the Lemon Garden drinking Efes and apple tea. By the way I'm drinking the Efes.Its Turkish name is Limonlubahce  which I think would be a lovely name for a boat especially one that's coming out of the water soon and could be renamed. It's name now is Good Boy 3 what do you think?
Post by: Haybo on September 21, 2014, 09:53:27 AM
That sounds lovely Joycie.  Naming the boat after something that has great memories for you makes it all the more special.  Our dog is called Jackson after a holiday we had in the states where we visited a civil war battle site and there was a statue of Stonewall Jackson.  Random but true!
Post by: pw on September 21, 2014, 01:45:22 PM
You go to Fener a lot so you must love it there.....so why not combine it with Limonlu Bahce and call it Fenerbahce.......oh, hang on a minute.....
Post by: joycie on September 21, 2014, 02:03:33 PM
I think it would be more likely to be called Birmingham City if we were going to name it after a football team.
Post by: joycie on September 21, 2014, 07:32:21 PM
My adventures are fast coming to an end. So sad but still two full days to how until we wend our weary way back to Dalaman on Tuesday night. I cooked breakfast today. Our maths had not been very good and we were one egg short of a full breakfast. So I decided to scramble the one egg and hence leave 4 for the remaining two breakfasts. Actually it was alright. So today we had scrambled egg fried tomatoes bacon and toast. It was lovely.
Decided to have a pool day today but first our usual walk down to the harbour to watch the boats go out and have a drink in Fenners. They know us well now and I was going to have a fresh orange juice so when he arrived with our usual latte and cappuccino I didn't have the heart to tell him. Still they were delicious as usual.
We started the long climb up town and it was still in my head that I may get a handbag for my troubles if I played my cards wisely. Devious me never.
I'd got to think about it so we passed the handbag shops on tiptoes and tomorrow who knows.
We'd decided to eat in tonight. Chicken potatoes cauliflower and red cabbage was in my mind. The chicken shop now has a new sign at least I hadn't noticed it before. Last night a neon chicken in black and red flashed at us as we passed.
Five minutes for the chickens to be ready so off to the Lemon Garden for drinkies. If anybody asked I told Bri to tell them we were waiting for a chicken as you do. In all the years we've been coming to Kalkan I never went into the Parc as it was then but since it's change of name we've been in pretty well every single day.its very pleasant sitting in the garden there. Although there are always tables set I've never seen anyone eating there either. I'd ordered an Efes Bri an apple tea. I told him to keep the Efes in front of him so it looked like I was drinking the apple tea. Well one has to keep ones standards doesn't one. Four people came in and sat at a dining table I told Bri to slow down I wanted to see what the food was like. He went to Kentucky fried chicken came back and still no food had arrived so we got up to how. I was honest as I passed and tod them I was waiting to see what they'd had to eat. They told me they'd ordered breakfast and the last one they'd had there was delicious. I'll never know.
On up to the apartment dumped our stop and decided paste port pizza was our lunch haven.
Omar is always pleased to see us laid a table and took our order. It was freshly done and lovely then back to our sun beds for the afternoon. We were on our own and WH got a bit of a dip. I had a lovely sleep Bri went and made us an apple tea and the afternoon was gone.
Went back upstairs had a shower and prepared the vegetables. Bri did his injection laid the table on the back balcony poured a lovely glass of red wine and we toasted each other for our lovely holiday
We retired to the front balcony got the cards out and I beat him at crib several times.
So that was today tomorrow I have an itinerary to work to trying to fit in a cherry wine and a new handbag. So who knows but you certainly will if it all goes to plan.
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 21, 2014, 07:40:21 PM
Enjoy whats left of your time Joycie it goes so quick!!...(I know quite a few people who are 1 egg short of a full breakfast :P) ;)
Post by: joycie on September 22, 2014, 05:33:41 AM
Been like that all my life.
Post by: joycie on September 22, 2014, 07:57:59 PM
So sad penultimate day in Kalkan. Once again weather brilliant oh I wish I had something to moan about. Decided to do some washing so I could go home with a case full of clean knickers. Mission accomplished all hung out to dry time for a big of sunbed time. Fiona called in and we said our goodbyes in case we didn't see her tomorrow. We told we'd had a fabulous time and depending on The results of Bris hospital appointments we'd love to book again gorgeous three weeks possibly  What the heck. She said next years bookings are going very well so it looks like it's make up your mind time.
Lunch was bubble and squeak with a chicken leg each. Part of the one we'd waited for in the LemonGarden. Seems a bit disrespectful but it was delicious. We had an Efes at the Nur said goodbye to the boys and returned for a final lie on our sun beds after a quick dip. I must say the pool is a little cooler this week. I don't know why the weather is just ax warm but I guess Autumn is just round the corner.
I went upstairs did some ironing packed the suitcases as far as poss and had a shower. We walked down to town at about 6.30 passed every bar and plonked ourselves in a throne at Jimmys. I had a delicious Bellini Bri had an Efes.
We sat and people watched and then decided to go to Seaport for our mealIf was absolutely delicious in fact I still havesome fillet steak for the dogs and cats tomorrow.
All the restaurants except Ilyada were really full and we wondered why they didn't attract the customers like the others. The atmosphere was fabulous really buzzing and the for the standard of the meals and the portions the price wasn't over excessive. 132 lire. We had cheese rolls the delicious puffy bread with dips I had fillet steak and Bri had Seaport special chicken. I had caramel ice cream to finish and two apple teas on the house.
We paid the bill and walked to the taxi at the end of the quay. With my hands over my eyes we arrived safely at the Nur ANC made our way on to our lovely terrace and are now drinking a brandy and a whiskey. No doubt I'll speak to you all tomorrow but if not I 'll give my final report when I get to sunny Sraffordshire.
Post by: Haybo on September 22, 2014, 09:54:27 PM
Oh joycie i shall miss your reports!  The weather here is pretty good....we're not far from you.
Look after that bracelet!
Post by: Mayday1 on September 23, 2014, 09:55:32 AM
Thanks for your lovely reports Joycie.They have been very entertaining.I know staffordshire very well,particularily around Uttoxeter and Rocester ( close to the JCB factory )

It sounds like you have had a really fun time,which is excellent after last years worries.

Looking forward to your final report,from Kalkan or home.Have a very safe trip back.

o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 23, 2014, 03:08:50 PM
Yes, thank you Joycie for sharing your holiday with us all, it has been such a joy reading them everyday.  Safe journey home too, and look forward to your final post soon.

Now let me think ............ I wonder who the next person will be to share their holiday report!  ;D ;D ;D ;D, but am looking forward to it very much!  :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

Jayne
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 23, 2014, 04:16:28 PM
thanks joycie and safe flight home. I've really enjoyed reading your reports and so glad you had such a relaxing and peaceful holiday compared to last year...and a beautiful new bracelet. I'd say this is a new anniversary date for you to celebrate every year...sorry Bri.
Over to you Babs...itstime....anyone else?
Post by: Babs on September 23, 2014, 07:10:05 PM
I'm not sure I can live up to Joyce's standards!!  :laugh: but I'll Gove it my beast shop!  :laugh:
Surely someone is going before us......18 sleeps and counting!!
Post by: Haybo on September 23, 2014, 07:42:00 PM
There you go Babs! You seem to have the hang of it!
Post by: janeb on September 23, 2014, 09:41:25 PM
New to posting but I've loved the posts. They have given me that special feeling that you get when you get to Kalkan.  My OH and I have been going to Kalkan for 10 years. We are Kalkan addicts. Been twice this year and lucky enough to be off again in only 5 sleeps. Always stayed in hotels, this will be our first time saying in a villa.  :)
Post by: Babs on September 23, 2014, 10:05:36 PM
Hello janeb.........are you taking up the challenge?
Post by: Haybo on September 24, 2014, 05:56:53 AM
Hi janeb.  You teally have got the bug havent you! I hope that you find the time to put up a few posts whilst you are there, i for one would love to hear what you get up to! There is never a dull  day..

Where is the villa? What made you switch from a hotel..... So many questions for a new poster!

Haybo
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 24, 2014, 08:51:48 AM
Yes, thanks so much Joycie. I'm really going to miss your blogs so much, typos and all. Safe journey home and hope we hear from you again soon.  :D

Attagirl Babs, and janeb - welcome to the forum, please don't be shy and help us to relive our Kalkan dreams! Look forward to hearing from you soon too.  :)
Post by: joycie on September 24, 2014, 12:17:35 PM
Well here we are a final blog. I'm sat at home cases unpacked washing spinning around and jeans and sweatshirt instead of the lightest gear you can find. As usual I digress so here is my final report.
Tuesday morning start of our final day. Luckily Fiona had said we could keep the apartment all day the next happy campers were not coming in till Wednesday so it gave us another day to holiday. Oh oh woke up in the middle of Monday night with Delhi belly. Delicately put I know but you get the gist. Spent most of the night in the bathroom and all my best laid plans were fast fading. Didn't have any breakfast but did Bris which he really enjoyed on the terrace. Suggested Bri took a trip to the chemist for me to get Immodium or the equivalent which he graciously did. I didn't dare leave the loo. He came back with Floxilevo at a gigantic price of 50 lire. Well I opened the box and they were the biggest tablets I'd ever seen. Wasn't sure whether to take one or whether it was supposed to be used as a bung. So I took the easy way out and swallowed it.Brian is hopeless at swallowing tablets and he couldn't believe how I could get this giant down in one go but if it was going to save my last day in Kalkan believe me it was going to how down. I had a shower and freshened my self up and waited for my next visit to the loo. The pharmacist said if it didn't work after 6 tablets then a doctors visit was required.
Wow one tablet and I felt much better dare I make the trip down town. In for a penny off we went. Decided to visit the cash dispenser got to it ferreted in my handbag no cash cards. Oh blimey I remember I'd put them in my other handbag. So tail between my legs I went back to the apartment looked at the loo No I was fine and returned to the cash dispenser cards in hand. Now we were really cooking with gas. I think I mentioned the night before we'd been to Seaport I'd had some lovely fillet steak but there was too much but I'd wrapped the excess up in a tissue intending to feed a fog or three on the way back with it. We had a taxi back so the steak stayed in my bag overnight so it was a good job that I had to go back for my cards because I found the forgotten steak. So armed with steak and cash cards off we went. Not a single flipping dog in sight. There was always a dog to accompany you but not today until we got down by the Samira and there was a dog lying by the side of the wall. Bri dropped some steak by his nose. He didn't even bother to lift his head just opened his mouth and gently swallowed it without as much as a by your leave first bit gone. Then it got really exciting there were two dogs on the opposite side of the road.(just been to Ghent again this flipping computer thinks I want to go there every time I spell the)
Anyway we dodged the speeding taxis and guess what the dogs had crossed the road before we did so we 're now on opposite sides again. I waved my bit of tissue at the shouted fillet steak and they negotiated the traffic and finally made it to us. They ate the remaking steak very gently almost winked at us to say thank you and off they went to cause chaos elsewhere.
Before the holiday started Bri had bought me a new handbag with a shoulder strap so that I could put it over my head at the airport (just got air potty do you think this computer knows something that I don't) and get passports etc out without too much trouble. Well that was the plan. It broke whilst I was in the queue for checking in so Bri suggested that we call at one of the handbag shops to see if I could get a replacement for our return journey. Hm call at a handbag shop what a good idea Mulberry wad the first. The guys in there sorted me out a replacement strap much better than the one I'd broken about 12 lire I think. I gave him the old strap but I don't think he was very impressed but suggested I might like to buy a handbag. Now there's a thing I hadn't given it a thought cough cough but perhaps I could look at them. The only trouble was that the one of my hearts desire was in the BSG shop. Anyway I looked couldn't see anything and walked on down the road. Walked on down and were passing Class Leather the one with the lovely orange bags that I had seen everyone walking around with and there it was. More to the point I spotted another which I liked even more. So in we went . The lady outside had admired my sandals and as I walked Into the shop she followed me in. I showed her the handbag I loved and she fetched it opened it oh it was wonderful the smell of the leather the finish parfait. There were other ladies in there that buy a handbag there every year and were about to purchase this years model. How Much? Cash sterling or lire? Sterling please well £360 less this and that busily tapping on her calculator it became £180 pounds and an orange bag to put it in. Perhaps we could have a meet up of the orange bag brigade next time we're all in Kalkan. Whoops digressing again Bri looked at me resignedly he knew there was no good putting up a fight and any way it was his fault if he hadn't have fetched the tablets I wouldn't have been well enough to be standing in the shop so the least he could do was kept me buy it. Straight off my death bed and all that. Of course I bought it. It's beautiful and will last me years WELL!
So handbag in orange bag past BSG pah I've got one even nicer than yours so there. Didn't say it but thought it and finally arrived at Fenners for our last morning sojourn. I had a sprite Bri a latte and we drank them in happy contentment. My orange bag stood proudly on the table. We bade farewell for this year and decided to walk around by indigo and along the harbour wall. There were some men fishing and one a English guy just caught a lovely sea bass which was trapped in a bucket. I'm sure it wouldn't be long before it wAs on some bodies plate. We continued walking along the side of Ghent sea. It was very hot so we decided to get a taxi back deposit my bag and then go to Cafe Ev for lunch. See what I mean about Ghent and the. So now you no what Ghent means and more to the point so do I.
We walked up to Cafe Ev and sat in the cool. Two Efes were ordered my stomach was fine and I was close enough to the loo should it be required. Decided on a mushroom omelette couldn't remember whether it comes with chips and as Bri needs some carbohydrate ordered a portion just to be certain. Cafe Ev chips are the vest in a Kalkan. Well in my opinion and although I was the delicate on the Efes and the chips went down a treat.
Back down to Daybreak to finish our packing clean and tidy the apartment and then have a little read before it was time to leave.
I could hear Fiona below her sister has been over for a few days and they were having a swim. They commented on the coolness of the pool and I told them how much it had cooled down over the last week.
Five o'clock nearly ready to go and I could hear a commotion down below. There was a dog barking underneath and I don't know whether I've mentioned the spaniel from the apartments just above the Nur but he was barking and causing chaos trying to get at a cat which quite frankly wasn't bothered. I told Fiona where he was from and she wandered up the hill to serif his owners were about. Of course they wern't meanwhile the dog was a Kami Kazi pilot on the roof of the place next door back into the Nur apartments and we were running round like mad things trying to catch it. He thought it was a great game and just as he was about to take a flying leap into the waste land at the back of the Nur Fiona appeared to say his owners weren't there. I let it go Ennis were due at any moment I was all hot and sweaty after racing round after this flipping dog and he just sat there looking at me as much as to say come on then let's have another game.
Enes arrived. I could hear the spaniel barking as we left I hope his owners realised that he was missing. We sped out of Kalkan onwards towards Dalaman. The driver young had a lovely Rod Stewart tape on . We passed many a tractor full of all those delicious tomatoes and I thought of all the lovely meals we'd had. We stopped at a petrol station to fill up and I nearly jumped out of my skin when somebody tapped the window. Looked up and it was another Ennis driver that had transported us to and fro Kalkan many a time and he shook our hands and wished us a safe journey.
We got to Dalaman in about one and half hours. It was chaos trying to find somewhere to park but finally cases in hand we wheeled our way to the security scanners. No probs at check in and after looking in duty free decided to sit in departures.
Lovely Scottish couple going back to Edinburgh and Bri and he had a discussion about their heart attacks.
The flight was called early I'd gone to look at the boards and saw our flight was boarding didn't even know so we went to the gate and joined the queue.
We had extra leg room seats by the emergency exits doors so felt very self important when a steward came over and told us it was up to us to save the plane should the need arrive and could we read the safety card and the directions on said doors so we knew how to open them should the need arrive. Well have you seen the directions please God don't make me have to do this. I think I would pretend to faint and let someone else save us by the time I'd opened the doors we'd have sunk anyway. Still I knew where my whistle and my light were on my life jacket.
Fabulous flight nice meal and arrived at Brum bang on time.
Daughter there to pick us up and so here we are reflecting on another fabulous holiday in Kalkan. I know that we'll be back but this year was so important after all the trials and tribulations of last year we really did have a wonderful time.
So next year if you see a woman of a certain age with a fabulous Chanel copy on her shoulder and still with the price attached please say hallo Joycie.
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 24, 2014, 01:59:58 PM
well you saved the best till last, joycie :)
I will miss these lovely reports so much...and the typos have given me an extra laugh. Who knew that you could feed fillet steak to fog...? :laugh: :laugh:
So pleased you had such a happy relaxing time this year (plus a bracelet and a bag...lucky lady ;)). Quite a contrast to last year eh?
So janeb no pressure, but we'd love to hear all about your next Kalkan break.
Post by: joycie on September 24, 2014, 02:32:33 PM
yes please janieb I love reading everybodies reports whether they be serious or irreverent it doesnt matter they're about Kalkan and what can be nicer than that.
Post by: Mayday1 on September 24, 2014, 04:01:43 PM
Thanks Joycie, for your fab reports.You did save the best to last.So many lovely memories for you,which you were kind enough to share with us all.Glad you had a safe journey home and I hope you have many more fab Kalkan holidays.

Treasure your new bracelet and bag and I am very pleased that the "fogs" are a little fuller tonight.Thanks Joycie and Bri

.............................................................................................
o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298
Post by: janeb on September 24, 2014, 06:19:05 PM
Will attempt a daily post. Those of you that have already done so will be a hard act to follow!

A little about me and my OH. We've always stayed in hotels up 'till now generally because it's always been just my OH and me - this time 4 friends are joining us so a villa, or in our case a town house seemed to be the best option. In the past we've stayed at the Asfiya (our fav), the new Asfiya Seaview (lovely but no atmosphere), Lykia Residence (lovely but too much interest in what car you drive, what you did for a living - not our style), Serra Boutique, and Yeni Korsan (great - would definitely go back). We're already thinking about next year which so far will be just a week in July when we'll be looking for a 1/2 bedroom place close to the old town.

We arrive in Kalkan on Monday will do my best to post from time to time. :)
Post by: Rachey on September 24, 2014, 07:07:16 PM
I've loved reading all your posts so much.  It's kept me going until our visit in less than a week  :D  I'm so glad that this year's visit was without the stress and worry you went through last year. Looking forward to reading your reports next year!
Post by: Mayday1 on September 24, 2014, 07:12:55 PM
Hi Janeb,looking forward to hearing your adventures

I have sent you a private message.
Post by: pattaya on September 24, 2014, 07:13:32 PM
Hi
Yes I too have really enjoyed reading Joyce's daily blogs .. you've gained fan base !
Especially after your stressful holiday last year, its great that you've both had a lovely holiday.
Kalkan hasn't  felt so far way with your daily updates.
I love my time spent there and even after so many visits over the last few years, we still discovered new things this year.
The other nice thing about Kalkan is the wonderful friends we have made there along the way. Both locals and fellow holiday makers.
I hope I'm lucky enough to go for New Years Eve again this year, as last year was amazing. Otherwise roll on May ..
Best meal for us this year was at the Likya Residence Amazing.
We need to get some out of season bloggers on here to keep us all going..
Post by: joycie on September 24, 2014, 07:23:10 PM
Janie B we started off at the Serra boutique hotel which started off our love of Kalkan. We used to play dominoes with Verdette and Carlos and loved the bbq nights there. Its now a private villa and mustapha is back in Istanbul. Verdette is the wonderfull poolman and gardener at the Nur apartments. We met him this year and he was really pleased to see us.
Post by: Babs on September 24, 2014, 09:21:07 PM
Glad you had a safe journey home joycie with bag, bracelet and Bri all intact!........and now you're handing over to janeb......how exciting!  :angel:
Post by: Alce on September 24, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
Thanks for such lovely posts Joycie...can't wait to make oour maiden trip in just 10 days time! Maybe I'll even pop a few posts on line! :D
Post by: Babs on September 24, 2014, 09:55:13 PM
Hooray.....the posters are lining up!
Post by: Haybo on September 24, 2014, 10:09:15 PM
So many potential posters......i hope they don't forget us sitting wt home, hitting the refresh button, desperate for  the tiniest kalkan nugget.  :P
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 24, 2014, 11:26:42 PM
Glad you arrived home safe and sound joycie and Bri and thanks again for keeping us so entertained and for sharing your holiday with us. You deserve an award for your daily and joy of joys, sometimes twice daily reports. You don't know how much of a pleasure it's been, logging on every day for the past 3 weeks, knowing there was a humerous joycie report to look forward to. I felt quite deflated until I saw the last few posts from Babs, ratchey, janeb and Alce. I'm so looking forward to your reports guys, don't let us down.  :D
Ps rachey nearly became ratchet a la joycie, but I managed to spot it before posting  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 25, 2014, 07:19:44 AM
Yes ditto Lizzie thank you so much joycie for your fab reports and your homecoming one was brilliant. It certainly entertained me every day reading them. Babs, ratchey, janeb and Alce have a wonderful time in paradise and if you have just a spare moment would be lovely to hear all about it.

We are excited down in Dorset, we booked our flights for Easter yesterday yeah. Sorry off topic!

Jayne
Post by: joycie on September 25, 2014, 08:11:26 AM
Thank you for your lovely comments I really enjoyed doing it. When there was a moment or two  as we went along I always thought ooh I must mention that. Sometimes I could have kicked myself because I'd forgotten some of the lovely things that happened to us. To any potential bloggers just go for it it's fun and gives you a chance to remember wonderful Kalkan.
Post by: Rachey on September 25, 2014, 06:49:25 PM
Quite like Ratchet, thanks Lizilu!! Will blog when I can, but won't be able to match recent eloquence from our bloggers!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal