Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's 2012 Holiday -A Villa Experience  (Read 22917 times)

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Antler's 2012 Holiday -A Villa Experience
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »
Oh goodness, all this talk of cooking and fresh ingredients is getting me so excited. We arrive in Kalkan in 8 weeks for our first 3 month stay - our way of easing ourselves in to early retirement! We have been holidaying there for the last 10 years but only for the usual 1 or 2 weeks per year and always in a Hotel.

We had hoped to sign up for a Turkish Cookery Class in April - does anyone know if there is such a thing planned?

PS only 2 haircuts to go!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
You could try Gurus place..on the Kas road near Adams, he was doing lessons a while back....  www.kalkanguru.com  on page click onto cooking  school in kalkan turkey top of page.. ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:14:54 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
I have to admit to being a big fan of cooking in Kalkan! Beautiful ingredients make for beautiful meals! Our kitchen is quite well-equipped because of the fact that I enjoy cooking so much.
Our water cooler - thought to be an extravagance when we bought it - has paid for itself well over the last two years.

Suziq - I went to a few lessons at Guru's - I don't have any details, but I'm sure you'll find something using the "search" facility. The lessons were great fun and very informative.

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
We will just miss you Antler as we are there at the end of May.  We are staying in a nice apartment so it is also my plan to do a little cooking to give my wife a break as she has been looking after me (as well as the little one) whilst on maternity leave.

If you have any good (and easy!) recipes for tasty lunches and you don't mind sharing, I love to hear some of them.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »
Dshiels, I really don't cook in Kalkan, just make things like Greek (Turkish??) salad, so easy with wonderful tasting tomatoes etc.   However on Kalkan Turkish Local News there is a section at the left hand side of the main page with Turkish recipes.    There is usually one shown but it links into a whole section of Turkish recipes from Binner's Turkish Cook book.

You could spend a quiet moment looking at any that might appeal and copy them ready to take to Kalkan.   Some look very easy and don't even really involve cooking.   You probably need to join KTLN to see all the recipes but it is easy and free to join and then you get to enjoy looking at several webcams of Kalkan.   Beware, that can be addictive.

You could go even further and buy the actual book which appears to be on sale on Amazon.

A few years ago I bought a book called "Turkish Cookery" in the main street of Kalkan, shop on left hand side going towards the harbour.   I believe they still sell it.   Some recipes are very simple and lovely pictures to tempt your appetite.  If they do still sell it maybe I will buy another copy to leave in the villa ready for any enthusiastic guests to try out.

For those, like me, not planning to do much cooking in Kalkan you can always look at the pictures of, say, Imam Bayildi, whilst enjoying a G. and T. and then wander out to a restaurant and order it when your appetite is sufficiently worked up.

Enjoy your meals folks, whether cooking yourself or sampling the lovely Kalkan restaurants.

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm a member of KTLN so will have a look and thanks for the suggestion.

I can't imagine that I will be whipping up an authenic turkish meal, I will leave that to the locals, it is more along the lines of a nice simple lunch using some of the delicious local ingredients.  This certainly won't replace our evenings down the town!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
The kenwood mini chopper is the CH180A and weighs 914g so just under a kilo. It cuts an onion and 3 or 4 garlic pieces in about 15 secs, also works brilliantly for herbs, other veg such as celery, spices etc.   Antler, lamb meatballs with salad and yoghurt cucumber and bread is a great lunch.  I have a recipe I made up and could let you know about it if you like! 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »
I think Huseyin (Gurus) has stopped holding the cookery lessons - which is a shame. We went three years ago and had a great time although my stuffed vine leaves left a lot to be desired ;D
Desti's book shop has a great selection of Turkish cookbooks - think we've bought them all now :P
Great idea, BL. My BH sees it as a challenge to carry the heavy bottles of water but then inevitably when you try to pour the contents into 3L bottle you lose a fair bit so a pump is a great solution. Have to say, we've stayed in a few places with a water cooler and I just love them.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
One of the things I need to get sussed in Kalkan is "cream". I was never really sure what the different types were and I think, from memory last time, I ended up with these small, tetra pack "blocks" (like the small orange juice cartons) of long-life cream.  It was fine for a garlic, cream and mushroom sauce for some roasted chicken breasts. But when I went to the supermarket the next time, I couldn't find it.

I just love the smell of garlic & cream from the oven when cooking Gratin Dauphinoise and it always makes whatever simple meat it goes with seem really luxurious. And it's done in the oven, so no messing about.

Tortoise lady - I would be offended if you didn't pop in, anyway!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
Hey Antler, we buy that cream too - Krema, I think its called and its usually in chiller cabinets near butter etc.Its long life and reminds me a bit of the old nestle tinned cream in texture and taste - but it does the job. Squirty cream is also available in Yali - but it has sugar in it :P Useful for irish coffees though :)

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
Hi Steve.............I've got a really big chopper. Ha!........... Unfortunately it goes on the back of my tractor. Don't buy one, just get me a flight and i'll come and cook for you. I'll even call you "me Lord and Lady" as I serve it. Have to do that each evening for the wife. As you know, were staying at the Tortoise Lady's villa down the road. Shame its a different time than you otherwise you could have called for a drink on the way up the hill. I reckon you will jump in the Elite pool on the way back from dinner in town (looking for your shorts if you get caught) to cool down. We can't wait to go, although I haver a few jobs to do first, like clearing 50 tons of trees and mowing 100 acres of grass for hay. (must get myself a new 16" flymo for that) but hey......it comes fast. Canapes......Oooh I love cheese on toast. You could get posh and have some bloody mary chilled tomato soup shots with it. Just up your street...one swig and its gone.......and full of vodka. Talk with you again. OYE... GOML. Regards Ray

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 04:51:19 PM »
After the recommendations of Delia's chopper, originally by Antler and endorsed by others, I have just bought one to take out to our place in Kalkan.   Doesn't seem at all heavy so must make space for it in my suitcase.   Will try it out tonight on onions which always make me cry.    Took the shopping opportunity to buy one or two more knives, hopefully sufficiently sharp but also found a knife sharpener which was suggested by someone on this forum.    Someone else suggested a salad spinner - they appear to be thin on the ground.   I never used mine and eventually gave it away.    I always had water all over the kitchen but I guess in Kalkan one could simply stand at the kitchen door and give it a shake outside.    Has anyone seen them for sale anywhere?

We will be there the same time as you Antler so you could always borrow my chopper if you don't take your own!   As I mentioned earlier I don't really do cooking in Kalkan.

Cleworthallray, sounds like a lot of trees to be cleared.    We lost one in the recent storms in Kalkan but you will be relieved to know it has been cleared away already so you won't be required to have a busman's holiday.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »
Do you need a chopper for a few dandelions and a bit of lettuce?? :-* :P

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
We can always rely on you Blue Lizard to make us smile.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »
Ray, the shots sound very good indeed!

Tortoise Lady - glad you sourced the Little Chopper!  Your guests will think your Villa has just about everything! I bet you would get the Salad Spinner in Lakeland (I haven't checked on AMAZON!).

June 8th can't come quick enough, now, and we are all really looking forward to it. Ollie is collecting me recipes as well -he has been making Kofte at home since he got back from Kalkan last year. He's quite a Chef (don't know where he get's that from?!)

Cheers

Antler

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 07:34:33 PM »
Antler, the chopper you recommended is indeed excellent.   I tried it out in advance of taking to our place in Kalkan.    Liked it so much I had to go out and buy another to keep in London.

The collection of things to take for the villa is growing.   My suitcases had given up the ghost so I took the opportunity to buy extra light new cases to help with the weight restrictions on the plane.    I try to buy everything possible out in Kalkan to help the local economy but some things are difficult to track down so it is simpler to buy in UK.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »
Glad you lie it Tortoise Lady - best gadget of 2011-12 I think! :) :) :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
Great stuff, tortoise lady!  Glad you like the little machine. I'm looking forward to zapping some lime & chilli dressing to go over the seared tuna. A perfect lunch, sat outside the villa somewhere, before sleeping off the Lal, under a tree.......

Antler

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
you have a hammock under a tree where you are staying...nice to snooze in ;)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »
Hi BL - re the hammock. Sounds great, but am I really going to be able to get in that, being only around five foot nothing tall?!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Our first-time Kalkan experience - Sept/Oct 2012

Started by MrsC1701 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2012, 09:00:13 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Antler's Day One - Coffee at Chillies, Hotel Afiya Penthouse Experience.....

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 03:50:58 PM
by antler
xx
Antler Goes on Holiday......

Started by antler on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 11:07:18 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 8 - Sept 8th

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 06:23:35 PM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal