Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz  (Read 43982 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 09:58:58 AM »
we found it.....funny how it has become the must have birthday gift.....good advice jon :D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 08:31:05 PM »
Well now we have all covered ourselves with soft and fresh, what do you recommend for the balcony? Citronella candles or containers of plants to keep them away?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
joan...if all else fails try the flip flop method!!lets hope the avon stuff works...one year one of the little blighters got me on the end of my hooter!!well...i kid you not it was illuminous in the dark..for a day or so i looked like Barry Manillow on red nose day!  ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 02:42:11 PM »
Once got bitten above my eye resulting in it swelling up and completely closing, looked like I'd been in a brawl :-[ worst ever though was when my legs got so badly bitten that it looked like I had bunches of grapes hanging from them, was so bad I had to go to the doc and have them lanced and drenched in iodine :'( yuk was soooooooooo awful. Anyway since discovering skin so soft I've had very few bites and what a difference it makes to my holiday :)
Still enjoy chasing them around the room with a flip flop though!

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »
If you own a villa here in Kalkan, some men should be coming round every 2 weeks to put insecticide down your toilets and another truck sprays outside.  The variety of mosquito most common in Kalkan breeds not in open water like pools, but in septic tanks which most villas have.  Hence the product goes down the toilet and into the drains on the lowest floor.  They also sprayed inside our garage and behind our pool. 

If no one is at home in your villa when they come round, they will not return until you call them or go to the municipality to ask for them.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 06:31:59 PM »
Really - this is most interesting - i have never heard of this before...how do we check it out and make sure that is happening - certainly nobody came round last year..!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »
They did come to us several times last year but we were always here.  This year we returned mid-April and they had not come since sometime in March.  I waited until last week then sent our gardener to look for them.  He went to the Belediye and asked for the phone number of the company responsible for spraying.  They came yesterday to do the spraying.  They also told us they had come to this area some weeks ago but no one was at home at the time ... so they said.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 09:20:27 PM »
They were certainly spraying all around the town last year. We were enveloped in the spray whilst having a drink at the Pasha. We had to quickly put beer mats over our drinks and wrap our pashminas round our faces, it was not a pleasant experience, and on another night the clouds od fumes drifted over the retaurant we were in, fortunately our food had not been served but others were not so lucky. The mozzies did not like it either and buzzed off inside!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
my partner had a very nasty one on her ankle... the whole ankle swelled up!!she went to Dr gem (above savile supermarket)he said it was probably due to the skeeter injecting the Benzine that is sprayed about if it doesnt kill it, it still has it in it's evil little body..last year a few of us night owls were still about when they were spraying in the early hours...(moonlight) ::)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »
Must have been the same night I was there blue lizard!

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2007, 09:07:14 AM »
JoanH you asked what you could use on the balcony. Last year we were advised by the the guy with the jewellery stall on Kalamar Road to burn joss sticks. I can't remember what the fragrance was, but it certainly worked and only cost about £1. Either that, or he advised us to buy a huge fan and blow them away.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Truffle1049

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »
Right I'm on the Avon Website and found the following:

Avon Skin-so-Soft Dry Oil Body Spray

&

Skin-so-Soft Replenishing Body Lotion

both are in a turquiose / white plastic containers / bottles, I am assuming this is the product we are all talking about....yes or no  ?

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »
Hi Truffle
Sounds like the correct ones, the colour is a bluey/green and is called soft and fresh. Can't emphasise enough though about how slippy the floor becomes if you get the dry oil spray and it gets on the floor! As someone else said put a towel on the floor and stand on it when you use the spray. The lotion os easier as it's not in spray form so is less likely to end up on the floor.

Offline ebodevon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 10:41:21 AM »
Hi everyone

I just wondered if anyone has used the 'boots aftersun with insect repellant' ?  Ive been using it for the last three years now and have found it to be wonderful stuff (or the mozzies just dont like me, either way im happy).

I have used the skin so soft before and it is great for keeping them at bay but found the dry oil spray to be a bit too oily for me.

Just thought I would suggest an alternative.

Oh by the way its 'buy one get one free' at the mo as well.

Im stocking up.

Offline Donbon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2007, 04:04:35 PM »
Distracted from this site for a moment by the Avon one!  I've put in my order and also qualified for a free Antler Cabin Case!  All very good prices.  My mum used the original SSS product 20 years ago at least!  Thanks for the Birthday tip too!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 10:54:14 PM »
Managed an entire fortnight without getting a single mozzie bite, got home at the weekend went for a walk and got two of the biggest itchiest midge bites ever! The Scottish midge, don't you just love them!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 07:50:24 AM »
this year is a lot better,we had a couple of weeks with hardly any bites at all..we used repellant just in case ,but the mozzie blasting has been put out to a new company this year,they are the blokes in purple!!they still go through the streets with the 4x4 stink machine!! but also have detachable ones that they can go anywhere with,this year they have done drains etc and you can get propertys done if you wish......either way it's better!!! ;)

Offline jinfizzz

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 12:43:14 PM »
Thank you so much for this advice.  I've just ordered a truckload - it's half price at the moment!  :)  May even manage to get hubby to use it.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 03:49:55 PM »
Hi all - the mozzies seem sooooo much better this year - having just returned from a week - I didn't get 1 bite - didn't use any electrical device in the bedroom, didn't hear that dreaded zzzzz'ing in the dark and didn't spray....a so much more pleasant experience - I hope this carries on throughout this and the other seasons...at this rate - I might have to change my villa instructions to - mozzies rare - instead of mozzies rampant..LOL!!   ;D

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »
The belediye is offering the mozzie eradication programme free of charge to all properties - we have fortnightly visits from the men in purple who have backpacks of spray and go round the garden spraying all possible breeding grounds.   Once a week the truck backs down our drive ( no mean feat)  and sends out clouds of repellant for about 5 minutes.
 The good thing is that this spray does not seem to affect other insects, we still have lots of butterflies, moths and some rather large spiders (Lakeland battery powered vacuum spider catcher is a must)

If you think your property is not being done, contact the belediye and they will make sure it is on the route.

Lantana

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The dreaded Virus

Started by Griffo63 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 08:40:16 PM
by Griffo63
xx
Those dreaded mosqitos

Started by tonik on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 01:23:20 PM
by Blue Lizard
recycled
The dreaded mozzies

Started by RachelS on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 10:03:00 PM
by kalkanbelle
xx
Mosquitos

Started by AlbionFan on General Discussion

24 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 04:25:27 AM
by MartynE

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan

Views: 3526
By: shining-one
Red dog