Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's 2011 Holiday  (Read 34910 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's 2011 Holiday
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
OK, so it's that time again....

After many credit card swipes and being riddled with debt, obesity and self-doubt, he's going for it again.

Yes, coming soon from a lap top near you, Antler's account of his Lal-infused 2011 holiday.

Sit back, lower your expectations and get ready to switch off  - Antler is on his way.

Flying direct from Donny to Dally, this time tomorrow, Antler will be at that bend in the D400, where those twinkling lights grab you, make you forget the overdraft and those ill-fitting shorts, because as

The sun goes down
The stars come out
And all that counts
Is here and now
My universe will never be the same
You'll be glad you came

I hope you come along, too, and Enjoy Kalkan - at least, Antler-style.

Cheers.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8420.0

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: Antler's 2011 Holiday
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »
Fabulous - exactly what I the Wanted  :laugh:

Look forward to reading your blog which will help keep me going for another 5 weeks until we get to see *that* view again!

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »
Have a good one Antler, look forward to your fab reports which will keep me going for a while - we will be flying from Donny on the same flight in 4 weeks time, just make sure you leave some Lal in Kalkan for us! 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:28:14 AM »
really looking forward to your blog....it should be available on prescription :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »
Let us know what size shorts you buy!! my moneys on a 40 because you like pudding ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »
Wahey...can't wait ! ;D

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
Friday 26th.

Lunch at Adams today was just as the Doctor ordered; especially as it followed a pedicure for Mrs A. at Jasmine Coiffeur plus a shave and haircut for me; Ollie had gone in first and got rid of 3 months growth before taking Beth on a quick tour of Kalkan, lunch at Omar’s (his favourite Kofte) and a trip into Yali which had something to do with "a few more beers"….. we left them by the Sun Elite pool.

When we arrived at the Sun Elite Apartments at 3.30am today, the only words that could describe my initial reaction, was Oh My God! (Writing that in text-speak would not have done it justice). It really is a most incredible place and only one thing that crossed my mind was – why the hell didn’t we come for one month?

The trip from Doncaster last night had been painless, kicking off with a couple of Stella’s in Wetherspoons. Thomsons Flight TOM552 (brand new 737 / 800 and very smart indeed) left on time, and kissed the tarmac in Dalaman 15 minutes ahead of schedule, just shortly after we kissed goodbye to a bottle of Nicholas Feuillitte Champagne.  I even enjoyed the meal on the way over, which the stewardess described as “BBQ Chicken – my favourite on this route”.  Indeed, it was acceptable fare and I hid the second bottle of Cab Sauvignon as Mrs A hid in her iPod.

But here we are after a meze, sat on Adam’s terrace, looking out to Meis on one of the clearest of days. There is hardly a ripple on the sea, hardly a drop left in our first bottle of Lal – and Smeyra, Adam’s daughter has just picked a bunch of grapes and washed them for our desert. Adam has gone to pray and sleep , in his final days of fasting.

And I’m praying that I will never sleep over these next ten days, hoping we will Enjoy Kalkan and all the wonderful things it has to offer.

Mr & Mrs Antler

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
Bliss! Sounds perfect - here in Leeds it has never stopped raining. Poor festival goers are getting a soaking...not to mention trench foot - something you don't have to be concerned about in Kalkan land! Enjoy.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
Sounds great Antler..............but what else did I expect  8) ;) 8)    Great reports, keep them coming please  :)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
It is great Antler to have your reports again.    What does it feel like to be "a legend in your own time"?    I think your reports are quite famous on this forum.   Keep them coming.

Particularly good to have them at the moment - it is wet and chilly in London.   I even put on a fleece to go to the local shops.   Dare I mention Bank Holiday Weekend?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 04:06:29 PM »
Lovely report Antler. It was reading your previous reports that gave me the courage to do one myself. I've so enjoyed greedily reading all the holiday reports people have posted in anticipation of our holiday.
I envy you, we are coming to the end of our holiday and you are just starting yours.  Hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
Thanks a lot, people.

I can't speak highly enough about our "House on the Hill", here, opposite The Market. Having stayed at the Mediterranean Apts last year, way down the hill, we thought we would never stop this far up again. But, what a location -  and what a view?!

In the early hours of this morning, as we sat on our Elevated Terrace (posh, or what?!) all we could see was the lights across Kalkan Harbour. There were 5 orange lights the other side of the bay and they shone across the water, making a design like a coliseum. It was spectacular.

And now, at the end of our first day, the lights come on and Kalkan comes alive again. The aroma from Café Ev below is very inviting and wetting our appetites even more for  Mussakka Harbour later; the taxi is booked for 21.20 (after all we are on holiday and who needs to walk down hill?!!).

Cheers

Steve

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »
Nice one Antler!!
Your reports have brightened up an otherwise wet day in Holmfirth! And it's not even 7 o'clock yet and it's nearly dark!!
Keep the reports coming in, look forward to reading about your day out with Osman and Zeynap, we love their boat trips!
Nicky.
Nicky

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »

Antler......I had the best English breakfast (sad I know but I was unwell) in Cafe EV grilled toms.....lush  :) :) :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 08:23:10 PM »
You cant beat tinned Tom's..........even while your in Kalkan  ??? ??? ???

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
Tomatoes,Tomatoes my brother Jim,he had Tomatoes thrown at him...Now Tomatoes don't hurt when they come in a skin...but these buggers did cos they come in a tin :-\ :angel:

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »
Ha ha ha  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   very good.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 01:56:42 AM »
welcome home, Antler :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 05:31:48 AM »
Talking of tomatoes………….

I’m not sure if it was the 5am Call to Prayer that woke me this morning or the fact that a mozzie had got me on the b*m; serves me right anyway,  for leaving off my CK’s in bed - and it  could have been worse if I had been laid on my back?

“Special Table One” was in an excellent position at Mussakka Harbour last night and it was ready & waiting for our 9.30pm booking. I didn’t need to look at the menu as I had already decided what I was going to have in the TL5.5 taxi ride down The Hill. Mrs A had agreed to share Sea Bass Fish Cakes with me to start (gone are the days of a starter each) and then I would have their signature dish with the tomatoes – slices of fresh tomatoes layered between the lightly spiced mince.

Ollie went for Summer Steak (“I’m gonna have this every time”), Beth chose the Chicken Penne Arabiata (eating every single mouthful) and Mrs A the Vanilla Chicken (interesting if you like sweet & savory). A ship’s decanter half full of Angora Red and a few soft drinks and water….

We don’t normally venture this far down to eat as the busyness is not for us, usually only venturing as far as the Mussakka Brasserie. But we had to try Mehmet & Kitty’s new venture – and for sure it did not disappoint.

I’ve never thought of Mussakka as a family restaurant, but a grown up place that delivers food so lovingly prepared. You have to wait between courses as everything is cooked fresh – which is something I particularly like and the service is always impeccable yet unobtrusive; and it’s fun in a serious way.

Mehmet & Kitty came and joined us after sharing their Paella (that reminds me…..) and we ended the evening over coffee & brandy as a gentle breeze got up. Just down the steps Yildiz II was all prepared for tomorrow…..

I’ve read on Trip some comments regarding this restaurant being expensive. I don’t have a calculator and the brain is currently in holiday mode, but TL 37 for a 350gm fillet steak - is that expensive? (£13 would be roughly TL39?). I pay that in Morrison’s.

And a total bill of TL 200 for 4 people must be something like £17.40 per head, so I’m staying with “exceptionally good food at a very attractive price” and with the Mussakka concept, it remains one of my favourite restaurants in Kalkan. And even more so sat at Special Table One.

We couldn’t ruin such a lovely evening having to walk up THAT hill so we rang Aly and a few minutes and TL9 later we were sat on our Elevated Terrace in a gentle breeze and calmness that has to be experienced to be believed.

Now, Saturday morning and one significant mozzie bite later, there’s an orange glow over the hill above The Mediteran, with the sun still half an hour or more away from appearing. Pool Man is doing his stuff and in the fridge is a little tray of Cheese Croissants purchased from the Nur Patisserie at TL0.6 each (5 for a £1?). Those and a pot of coffee will be my breakfast before I walk 9 paces to the sun bed and a day by the Sun Elite Pool.

Enjoy your Saturday!

Antler

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:43:45 AM by antler »

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 06:37:20 AM »
Have a great day,Antler.I look forward to reading more reports!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Single and on holiday in Kalkan May 2011

Started by QueenBee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 08:32:31 PM
by Chucky
xx
Antler Goes on Holiday......

Started by antler on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 11:07:18 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's 2015 Holiday

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 11:25:58 PM
by hobbo
xx
Antler's holiday reports

Started by tortoise lady on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 01:06:07 PM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal