Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's 2011 Holiday  (Read 34912 times)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Antler's 2011 Holiday
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 07:01:39 AM »
didn't know they made CK's in that size  8) >:D 8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
It's such fun reading your holiday reports, having been there just over 3 weeks ago, it brings back happy memories of the places, restaurants and the people we met, it feels like we are back just hearing what you are doing.  Have fun and enjoy and say hi to little Adam in Omar Sheriff's Brothers Cafe opposite the Corner Restaurant and of course Mr Happy (Errol?) in Chillies and Omar in Omar's Kitchen, don't forget to try a Chicken Durum for brunch if you are passing (not on the menu, just ask for one TL5) bargain more than enough to fill you up.

Look forward to reading your next instalment.  First thing we did this morning when we woke was to look what you had written!

Jayne and Bob  :laugh:

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »
KalamarDream, I bought my Kalvin Cleins in  China on a business trip in size 40, so still some way to go until they are full.  I think they may have got the spelling wrong, though?

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
Very good Mr A
 ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
Calvin Klein or Calvin Classics ala ebay!!!!!
 ;) ;)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »
Oh Antler what a joy to read your daily reports - you really have a gift with words and your descriptions of everything you experience are truly delightful.  Just reading your blogs makes me feel like I'm there enjoying it all with you and I'm sure others feel the same.  Thanks for sharing your holiday with us and I can't wait to hear what you and your family are up to each day! :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »
Tonight, we are on our way to Cafe Leon for their "Surprise Menu". Just checked their website to get their contact details, for us to check the booking and this is one reference:

“The highlight for us is the Surprise menu, which is available on Weds and Sat nights. Simply tell them what food you don't like and the mother will cook a three course dinner to suit you. Being veggie this had appeal and the food was some of the best I have tasted in Kalkan and on an equal footing to The Olive Garden. The hosts are very eager to please, and their relaxed manner helps make for an enjoyable experience.”

Sounds good. Bring it on at 8.30pm.

The pool at the Sun Elite is deserted. It was busier, but Mrs A says I frightened them away with my rendition of  Wanted's "Lose My Mind", wearing my iPod. OK, even better, we have the place to oursleves.......

Cheers

Antler
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:57:37 AM by antler »

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
Thank you Antler for reminding me of those lovely little cheese croissants at Nur Patisserie.  One year we were having a kitchen redone and for the whole of the week had no water in the kitchen, dishwasher and cooker not connected and all covered in dust.   We had to eat out for all meals, couldn't really even make coffee.   

So maybe a glass of juice from the fridge then a short walk to Nur Patisserie.   Our normal breakfast turned into coffee and biscuits/cake  there.   Sat outside and enjoyed the view. I now remember having those little cheese croissants and my mouth is watering already.    Back in Kalkan in three weeks time so will follow your example and visit the Patisserie the day before and have them ready in the fridge for breakfast.

I wonder if they do them at Bread and More which is also a very short walk.    Anyone know the answer?

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »
Have a great holiday. Your reports are wonderful and I think we are all there in spirit with you if not in body.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
That made my mouth water reading it! We love Mussaka, in fact it's our favourite!
Another good report Antler.
Nicky

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 05:46:28 AM »
Saturday 27th August…….

…..started with a short trip to Yali for some bread and milk. Today was our first full day by the pool and I intended to do nothing. And so I did.

Later, Mrs A prepared a light lunch under our cool, shady terrace - Parma Ham and a selection of cheese (from Lidl in Leeds) with some bread that was still warm when I bought it at Yali earlier. Plus, just one spritzer, which I knew would kiss goodbye to the afternoon, which is exactly what it did.

Three hours later at 16.20 I re-awoke just as the sun was beginning to slip down towards the hill. My side was numb from the prodding Mrs A had given me when the snoring got too loud, but that sleep was well needed and afterwards, I really felt ready for my holiday.

I don’t know about you, but for me there is something special about the late afternoon sun that makes it so enjoyable. And, here at Sun Elite, because we are a little higher up the hill, we can enjoy that sunshine until after 6.30pm at this time of year.

So, 9 paces from the sun bed I found the kettle and treated Mrs A to a cuppa whilst I put more Factor 30 on her back. Bliss.

We celebrated the sun’s departure with some drinks on the terrace  (Smirnoff Red, 2 litres for £18 at Donny and a litre of Brandy for £10 on the plane),  and as the pool lights came on, it was almost too good to leave – but we called Ali to take us down to Café Leon.

Jane. Levant and his parents were as welcoming as ever and we took the last reserved table for the “Surprise” Turkish meal. I pulled Levant’s leg regarding one of the photos I had taken of him and stored in the EK gallery, as it has had over 660 hits?  I suggested he had quite a following – or was he doing the viewings himself, which of course, he denied!

http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=944

After a mixed meze, so delicately presented, tonight’s “surprise” was a Pasa Kebabi – a small tea plate shaped dome, made from the lightest of filo-type pasty, stuffed with chopped meat and vegetables before cooking in the oven again with a light covering of cheese. Served with roasted vegetables, it was matched perfectly by the Angora Red.

Desert was a fresh syrupy cake, that was as light as a sponge and although it might have been made from ground almonds, Jane explained it was the mixture of semolina and flour that we were tasting. Served with vanilla ice cream to cut through the sweetness.

Levant’s mum came to talk to us (Levant translated) and invited feedback on her meal and any questions; you could see the absolute delight she gets from putting this evening on. 3 courses for TL35 all wrapped up with amazing hospitality. Book early.

Ollie & Beth went off for their mooch around whilst we walked down the hill past Akin and into the harbour, passing Aydn who had been up at The Mediteran the last couple of years, who explained he was “off the beer”, saving his money to open his own bar for next year……

The breeze got up in the harbour as we spied Osman’s brother on his new boat, Yildiz 3. He came across beaming and shaking our hands & explained that Yildiz 2 was out on a night trip, back in around midnight; but we would see them for our trip in the morning.

Faced with a walk up THAT hill it was a “no brainer” that we rang Ali and 3 minutes later he was there to whisk us back to the Sun Elite, our cool terrace and the twinkling lights of  Kalkan Bay.

Antler

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:08:35 AM by antler »

Offline bullfrog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 10:16:43 AM »
Love the reports Antler.
Sounds like you've all been having lots of those spicy mezes. It won't be long now before those Imodium come out of the suitcase!  ;D
The up side of this is the shorts will fit better!
I'm sure you're all having fun with Captain Osman and his lovely family today.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:18:42 AM by bulldogno1 »

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »
Enjoy your day on Yildiz...
 ;)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
No doubt you will - we had a fantastic day out on Yildiz 3 while we were there a couple of weeks ago. Fab lunch.  :) :) :) :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
Have a lovely day with Osman and Zeynap!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 07:13:11 AM »
Sunday  28th August…….

The engine on Yildiz 2 was cut and I felt people rushing around. Osman came up quickly from the galley and as I opened one eye, pausing the iPod, I could see people pointing over to the port side.

50 metres or so away, the blue/grey back of a dolphin arched its way out of the water only to go straight back in again. Beneath the surf ace you could see it turn and head back towards the boat, arching in and out of the water. As it came alongside Yildiz 2, maybe 15 or so feet below the surface, it teased us by rolling over and flashing its silvery white underside, before turning in the direction of the islands. I’m sure it was having fun.

But it wasn’t alone. Further out towards the islands there was another one and then off to the right another and then there was a pair of them, arching their backs in and out of the water in complete unison as if they were joined at the side; and they stayed together always, their fins keeping perfect timing with one another. And then they were gone.

Excitement over, we continued over to the bay for a swim whilst Zeynep and Osman prepared the lunch in their usual efficient manner, pulling my leg that there was no cauliflower today (my favourite, dressed in a garlic yogurt sauce).

So the day was just as perfect as the other days out on Yildiz 2 – apart from Beth, who found the swell when anchored too much, going a strange pale greeny – white, only to be immediately attended to by Zeynep with a sea sickness pill, claiming “5 minutes, all OK!”.

Before we paid Osman for our drinks, entering the harbour I rang Ali and asked for the usual ride, and there he was, just as we arrived at the Pirat, coming down that hill. So 3 minutes later we were back in the Sun Elite pool as the sun was just going down.

One Vodka & Tonic became another as we looked out over Kalkan Bay and daytime changed to night. Beth & Ollie had decided on Café Vita and as Ali beeped down below, we found it hard to lift a finger, let alone a leg.

The menu at Café Ev below looked fine for us tonight and the waiter suggested a delivery service. I agreed, but asked him to not walk up the steps twice, but bring it all together. Having set our table on the terrace, 15 minutes or so after, the waiter arrived carrying a large tray – one starter of home made fishcakes and sweet chilli sauce to share, and two mains – their own Kofte, with vegetables, salad and chips; all nicely presented on large, oblong porcelain plates. And our very own butler service!

We enjoyed every mouthful – the chips were about 6 or 8 large, chunky wedges and there was enough Kofte to keep one or two back for “Tiddles” (don’t tell anyone I feed him) who always comes to sleep on the terrace each evening.

The waiter came back up with a complimentary apple tea, and didn’t want us to be disturbed by settling the bill,  “tomorrow!” he said.  It was TL 35 or something?

Tiddles decided Mrs A’s lap was better than the chair and so they both fell asleep as I slipped just one more Smirnoff Red into my glass….

Antler

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:26 AM »
Wow, what a perfect day.  I feel relaxed just reading this.  I can't believe you saw dophins, I am so jealous! 

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 09:57:19 AM »
the dolphins sound amazing - how wonderful!

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »
Sounds like another perfect day in a paradise!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
Another excellent report Antler!! So jealous you got to see dolphins!! I also love the cauliflower dish on Yildiz!!
You really do write a good report, we almost feel as though we're there with you!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Single and on holiday in Kalkan May 2011

Started by QueenBee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 08:32:31 PM
by Chucky
xx
Antler Goes on Holiday......

Started by antler on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 11:07:18 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's 2015 Holiday

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 11:25:58 PM
by hobbo
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 7 - Sept 7th

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 04:27:50 PM
by Joeyloveskalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal