Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's 2011 Holiday  (Read 34911 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Antler's 2011 Holiday
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 06:46:34 AM »
Monday 29th August…….

….started with a Resolve.  The sky was angry, too and somewhere up over the hill behind Kalkan it must have been chucking it down. So, the walk down the hill to the greengrocer, just by Kaya was a doddle without the burning sun. We were going to have jacket potatoes for lunch today, on our terrace that we were finding it harder & harder to leave.

The Greengrocer was busy as usual, full of the freshest vegetables and this is what I got for my fiver:  (The rate in town now dropped slightly to 2.80):

3 Limes   £1.33
2 Lemons      £0.37
5 large Potatoes     £0.79
Bag cucumbers    £0.28
8 large vine tomatoes    £0.58
Bag Mushrooms    £0.93
Bag of onions   £0.50

Total :     £4.78

I called back in to Yali for some fresh bread and a tray of eggs, like you get from a farm – 30 large, brown eggs for TL8.99 (£3.16).

Back at Sun Elite, it was changeover day and 2 out of the 4 apartments were leaving. The entrance to our apartment was full of carrier bags – thank you, you lovely people form the South for all of those goodies; I’m just sorry don’t know your names to contact you to say “Thanks”.

A few lengths of the pool and a piece of toast later and I was on the sun bed,  9 paces away from Ollie & Beth making scrambled eggs & mushrooms on toast, which smelt great but my shorts would not allow, due to extreme pressure now in that department.

And so it was a lazy day (again) really, with just us and Tiddles the little tabby cat, with the pool to ourselves for most of the day. Even though the sky was black and threatening, Kalkan Bay remained in glorious sunshine for most of the day.

We forced ourselves off the sofas on the terrace and showered before strolling down the hill into town. We had some bookings to make for later in the week, too. The new menu looked fine at Mussakka Brasserie and the Romeo Balcony looked empty so we were shown to that and spent the next hour or two enjoying one Albanian Liver to start and then, the waiter’s recommendation, Tandir Kebab  - shoulder of lamb, slowly cooked and served on a bed of mashed potatoes with crispy fried onions, of course, served with a bottle of Angora Red.  (TL120, with coffees and brandy).

The Gourmet Terrace Restaurant was emptying and I popped up to the top terrace to choose a table for another night. The waiter suggested “Table 31” and waited for my response. I asked him did he like “Table 31” and shared the joke, before he pointed to the next one, over-looking the rest of Kalkan below and we booked “21” for dinner at 8.30pm, tonight.

Murat came over and we chatted about their excellent reputation on EK & Trip and he assured us we would not be disappointed.

The clouds had pushed back and the sky was full of stars as we took coffee with Mehmet down at Mussakka Harbour before a very slow stroll back up the hill, past Yali supermarket  - still open and doing well with the “newbies”. No taxi, due to “extreme shorts pressure” so it was a flippin’ relief to reach our terrace again, with Tiddles already looking to settle down for the night.

Antler
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:38:30 AM by antler »

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
As the sun goes down the stars come out and Antler’s on the Sun Elite Terrace and on the Smirnoff…..

Whoooooooooo Hooooooo!

Pumps up the iPod……and grabs the microphone (pink mop):

“Turn the lights out now
Now I'll take you by the hand
Hand you another drink
Drink it if you can
Can you spend a little time,
Time is slipping away from us so stay,
Stay with me I can make,
Make you glad you came”

Bring on Gourmet Terrace Restaurant in 90 minutes……

I’m sure we’ll be glad we came….

Pool Man looks across very strangely. I offer him back his mop.

I bet he’s glad we came.

Oh Kalkan, you cast a spell on me, spell on me,
You hit me like the sky fell on me……fell on me….

Take me by the hand……..

Antler

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 05:51:59 PM »
Hi Antler...... All sounds fab..... Did I spot some McCantney lyrics in that last report...  Or was that yesterday !  8) :P  8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »
Hey Kalamar Dream!  I only know it as The Wanted?

The guy in Gourmet was asking about you last night - wondering who you were???!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »
Can't be Sir Paul then.      Who in Gourmet  ??? 

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:31 PM »
Taxi awaits - will report back!!

Antler

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 06:13:11 PM »
Antler, where do you find time to go out!!!
 ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »
Antler - these reports are just magic!  Four weeks yesterday we'll be at Gourmet and can't wait.  I so hope you love it - Sakir (chef/owner) has become a dear friend to us over the years - he's a total sweetheart.

Keep the reports coming - and one day please write a travel book  :laugh:

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 06:59:42 AM »
Hi Rip Roaring Potter!

Why would I ever want to go out, when, as the Owners Direct Web Site says about this place:

""This house is right beside a large pool and kids pool/jacuzzi, shared by only 3 other apartments. Our front door literally steps out onto the pool area. The pool is beautifully furnished with teak sunloungers and fabulous cushions, umbrellas and some outdoor sofas! We even have the use of an outdoor bar, fireplace and jacuzzi. We have a very large covered terrace with an outside fan overlooking the bay with two large sofas (lovely for a snooze!) and a dining suite.""

I just can't drag myself away from the terrace!

Antler

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
Tuesday 30th August

The skies were angry again and out towards Antalya we heard it was raining. But Kalkan, unique in its own way, remained dry, hiding under the edge of a thick, black cloud that the sun would fight off now and again. After a couple of hours perfect R&R by the pool we took advantage of it only being mid-to-late 20’s and walked up the hill and down again, coming out onto the Kalamar Road at Jasmine Coiffeur, to drop off some chocolates for their little girl that had remained in our fridge since arriving 5 days ago.

Declining the kind offer of Apple Tea and, of course, a shave (had I not just had one….), we walked back along Kalmar Road to Mango, calling in to see Dilek, who was checking Face Book whilst her son played on his lap top. Squeals of surprise and a good ol’ chat over an Efes or two, we then made our way the couple of hundred yards to Chillies for a glass of water, which quickly became an Efes. Very shortly afterwards, the Efes was joined by a complimentary Meze plate and one of those large domes of puffy bread. Perfect - the lightest of lunches.

Mr Happy was on form, and as Ollie & Beth arrived we were still debating how many beers it was that he owed us from Ignite last year. A family of four came in and headed for the best table in the restaurant – table 84 ( far corner, right hand side and closet to the Samira Garden Hotel and of course THAT view).

The sun had won in the battle for the skies and so we resisted another beer and walked back up the hill to the Sun Elite, only calling in at Yali for some more bread.

The afternoon was spent like the others, swimming, snoring on our outside sofas on the covered terrace, a bit more swimming – and then a Vodka & Tonic (s) dancing with the mop until it was time to shower.

The evening was humid, more so than the previous 5 days & no doubt caused by the earlier rain along the coast. But we resisted a taxi and strolled down the hill at 8.15pm and by 8.30 had arrived to the warmest of greetings and handshakes by Murat at Gourmet Terrace Restaurant. The waiters came flying down the stairs from the upper terrace, grinning and saying “This way, Mr Steve”.

What followed was well worth our 5 day wait.

Antler

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 05:03:24 PM »
Wednesday 31st August….

Still with a lovely feeling & memory of the meal last night at Gourmet Terrace (and I owe you one on that), we had breakfast on the terrace. Boiled eggs, orange juice and the clearest of skies…Gone was the fight of the black clouds from yesterday. This was Kalkan as we know it…

Three hours later, we rang Adam as agreed and asked for his pick up at 1.30pm.

It was as hot as ever driving along the Kas road, but being refreshed from a quick shower, I was really looking forward to the lunch – and THAT view.

For Beth & Ollie it was a new photo moment and we tried the different terraces. Adam was the perfect host again, and we ordered our lunch. I found my place of solitude on the Upper Terrace, at Table One, looking out towards Meis. All summer I had dreamed of this view, in the midday sun, with the shimmering sea below. And now, it was no longer a dream, but just a perfect view in every way.

Below me, the red peppers were hanging on the bush and the leaves were being dappled by the drops of moisture from above as the boats were chugging out across the bay, towards Meis – there was no noise and it looked like something from a film set.

Words came back into my mind, that had meant so much to me regarding Kalkan and what it means, sat there, on our own terrace back at Sun Elite:

“Let the world stop turning
Let the sun stop burning
Let them tell me love's not worth going through
If it all falls apart
I will know deep in my heart
The only dream that mattered had come true
In this life, I was loved by you”

I wiped my tears, feeling a right wuss, as ever and rejoined my family as Adam served our Mushroom Saute, Lamb Shish & Kofte, hiding my sore eyes behind my shades as the rabbits nibbled at the pretty Kalkan flowers.

Antler
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:18:11 PM by antler »

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  :'( :'( :'( ..........Ahhh thats better  8)  ;) 8)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »
Re those Kalkan Flowers Antler, Adam and his daughter gave us some and we brought them home and managed to pot them and they are now rooted and new shoots coming.  We still don't know the name of the actual plant, just Kalkan Flower everyone is saying, or someone else on here last week said Kas Flowers if you are there! If you can find out from your many friends over there, of course if you have time in between visiting the restaurants and writing your entertaining reports on here that would be great.  Enjoy Vita tonight.

:laugh:

Jayne and Bob
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:00:17 PM by jegkat33 »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
Hey cheer up Steve.....Market day Tomorrow,just a stroll cross the road and you can buy some big pants!! >:D

(loving the reports ;) )
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 06:35:20 PM »
Really enjoying these reports Antler, really wetting my appetite for our next visit in 3 weeks.  Thanks for sharing your views, thoughts and occasional emotional moments with us - can imagine it all and for a few minutes at least, almost feel that I'm on holiday too!

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
Fantastic reports again Antler, really got me excited as we fly out on Monday so I guess it's time to pack the case. What's the temperature like in the evenings now? Never been quite this late in the season before so wondering if I actually need to pack a cardi, HOPEFULLY NOT!! Will be paying a visit to Wetherspoons on the weekend to have a few Efes to get us well and truly in the Kalkan mood. Keep up the great postings Antler, so glad it's not only me that fills up like a big wuss when I'm looking at all the beautiful views,  you're right thank goodness for big sunglasses to hide behind  8)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
Reassured to hear others admitting to a tear or two at times when simply looking out at the view. Happens to me often but thought I was just a bit loopy :o

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 01:18:32 PM »
Your not alone......... I often sit (has to be on my own) on our pool terrace in the evening, glass of wine in hand watching the sun set over the mountains and guess what. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ..... What a tart  8)

Offline bingley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 01:28:18 PM »
it would be useful to have a contact number for a reliable taxi - you seem to have found someone who fits the bill.  We're in Kalkan later this month and as I recently fractured my foot I could do with knowing that there is someone we could trust to take us up and down the hill!!!  is it possible that you could PM me or send me some directions so I could contact your driver friend.

ps does he also do airport transfers?

very many thanks
B

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »
Yes would be interested to know how much airport transfers are if he does them?  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Single and on holiday in Kalkan May 2011

Started by QueenBee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 08:32:31 PM
by Chucky
xx
Antler Goes on Holiday......

Started by antler on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 11:07:18 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 2 - Sept 2nd

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 06:57:47 PM
by antler
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 7 - Sept 7th

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 04:27:50 PM
by Joeyloveskalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal