Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: antler on August 24, 2011, 09:16:56 PM

Title: Antler's 2011 Holiday
Post by: antler on August 24, 2011, 09:16:56 PM
OK, so it's that time again....

After many credit card swipes and being riddled with debt, obesity and self-doubt, he's going for it again.

Yes, coming soon from a lap top near you, Antler's account of his Lal-infused 2011 holiday.

Sit back, lower your expectations and get ready to switch off  - Antler is on his way.

Flying direct from Donny to Dally, this time tomorrow, Antler will be at that bend in the D400, where those twinkling lights grab you, make you forget the overdraft and those ill-fitting shorts, because as

The sun goes down
The stars come out
And all that counts
Is here and now
My universe will never be the same
You'll be glad you came

I hope you come along, too, and Enjoy Kalkan - at least, Antler-style.

Cheers.

Title: Re: Antler's 2011 Holiday
Post by: Rachey on August 24, 2011, 10:13:41 PM
Fabulous - exactly what I the Wanted  :laugh:

Look forward to reading your blog which will help keep me going for another 5 weeks until we get to see *that* view again!
Post by: alisonh on August 24, 2011, 11:39:13 PM
Have a good one Antler, look forward to your fab reports which will keep me going for a while - we will be flying from Donny on the same flight in 4 weeks time, just make sure you leave some Lal in Kalkan for us! 
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 25, 2011, 12:28:14 AM
really looking forward to your blog....it should be available on prescription :)
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 25, 2011, 07:56:16 AM
Let us know what size shorts you buy!! my moneys on a 40 because you like pudding ;D
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on August 25, 2011, 12:23:04 PM
Wahey...can't wait ! ;D
Post by: antler on August 26, 2011, 01:52:56 PM
Friday 26th.

Lunch at Adams today was just as the Doctor ordered; especially as it followed a pedicure for Mrs A. at Jasmine Coiffeur plus a shave and haircut for me; Ollie had gone in first and got rid of 3 months growth before taking Beth on a quick tour of Kalkan, lunch at Omar’s (his favourite Kofte) and a trip into Yali which had something to do with "a few more beers"….. we left them by the Sun Elite pool.

When we arrived at the Sun Elite Apartments at 3.30am today, the only words that could describe my initial reaction, was Oh My God! (Writing that in text-speak would not have done it justice). It really is a most incredible place and only one thing that crossed my mind was – why the hell didn’t we come for one month?

The trip from Doncaster last night had been painless, kicking off with a couple of Stella’s in Wetherspoons. Thomsons Flight TOM552 (brand new 737 / 800 and very smart indeed) left on time, and kissed the tarmac in Dalaman 15 minutes ahead of schedule, just shortly after we kissed goodbye to a bottle of Nicholas Feuillitte Champagne.  I even enjoyed the meal on the way over, which the stewardess described as “BBQ Chicken – my favourite on this route”.  Indeed, it was acceptable fare and I hid the second bottle of Cab Sauvignon as Mrs A hid in her iPod.

But here we are after a meze, sat on Adam’s terrace, looking out to Meis on one of the clearest of days. There is hardly a ripple on the sea, hardly a drop left in our first bottle of Lal – and Smeyra, Adam’s daughter has just picked a bunch of grapes and washed them for our desert. Adam has gone to pray and sleep , in his final days of fasting.

And I’m praying that I will never sleep over these next ten days, hoping we will Enjoy Kalkan and all the wonderful things it has to offer.

Mr & Mrs Antler
Post by: Kalkan Magic on August 26, 2011, 02:02:41 PM
Bliss! Sounds perfect - here in Leeds it has never stopped raining. Poor festival goers are getting a soaking...not to mention trench foot - something you don't have to be concerned about in Kalkan land! Enjoy.
Post by: onelove on August 26, 2011, 02:14:43 PM
Sounds great Antler..............but what else did I expect  8) ;) 8)    Great reports, keep them coming please  :)
Post by: tortoise lady on August 26, 2011, 03:02:25 PM
It is great Antler to have your reports again.    What does it feel like to be "a legend in your own time"?    I think your reports are quite famous on this forum.   Keep them coming.

Particularly good to have them at the moment - it is wet and chilly in London.   I even put on a fleece to go to the local shops.   Dare I mention Bank Holiday Weekend?
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 26, 2011, 04:06:29 PM
Lovely report Antler. It was reading your previous reports that gave me the courage to do one myself. I've so enjoyed greedily reading all the holiday reports people have posted in anticipation of our holiday.
I envy you, we are coming to the end of our holiday and you are just starting yours.  Hope you and your family have a wonderful time.
Post by: antler on August 26, 2011, 06:11:41 PM
Thanks a lot, people.

I can't speak highly enough about our "House on the Hill", here, opposite The Market. Having stayed at the Mediterranean Apts last year, way down the hill, we thought we would never stop this far up again. But, what a location -  and what a view?!

In the early hours of this morning, as we sat on our Elevated Terrace (posh, or what?!) all we could see was the lights across Kalkan Harbour. There were 5 orange lights the other side of the bay and they shone across the water, making a design like a coliseum. It was spectacular.

And now, at the end of our first day, the lights come on and Kalkan comes alive again. The aroma from Café Ev below is very inviting and wetting our appetites even more for  Mussakka Harbour later; the taxi is booked for 21.20 (after all we are on holiday and who needs to walk down hill?!!).

Cheers

Steve

Post by: HolmfirthNicky on August 26, 2011, 06:41:48 PM
Nice one Antler!!
Your reports have brightened up an otherwise wet day in Holmfirth! And it's not even 7 o'clock yet and it's nearly dark!!
Keep the reports coming in, look forward to reading about your day out with Osman and Zeynap, we love their boat trips!
Nicky.
Post by: misty on August 26, 2011, 06:53:17 PM

Antler......I had the best English breakfast (sad I know but I was unwell) in Cafe EV grilled toms.....lush  :) :) :)
Post by: onelove on August 26, 2011, 08:23:10 PM
You cant beat tinned Tom's..........even while your in Kalkan  ??? ??? ???
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 26, 2011, 08:51:39 PM
Tomatoes,Tomatoes my brother Jim,he had Tomatoes thrown at him...Now Tomatoes don't hurt when they come in a skin...but these buggers did cos they come in a tin :-\ :angel:

Post by: onelove on August 26, 2011, 08:56:15 PM
Ha ha ha  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   very good.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 27, 2011, 01:56:42 AM
welcome home, Antler :)
Post by: antler on August 27, 2011, 05:31:48 AM
Talking of tomatoes………….

I’m not sure if it was the 5am Call to Prayer that woke me this morning or the fact that a mozzie had got me on the b*m; serves me right anyway,  for leaving off my CK’s in bed - and it  could have been worse if I had been laid on my back?

“Special Table One” was in an excellent position at Mussakka Harbour last night and it was ready & waiting for our 9.30pm booking. I didn’t need to look at the menu as I had already decided what I was going to have in the TL5.5 taxi ride down The Hill. Mrs A had agreed to share Sea Bass Fish Cakes with me to start (gone are the days of a starter each) and then I would have their signature dish with the tomatoes – slices of fresh tomatoes layered between the lightly spiced mince.

Ollie went for Summer Steak (“I’m gonna have this every time”), Beth chose the Chicken Penne Arabiata (eating every single mouthful) and Mrs A the Vanilla Chicken (interesting if you like sweet & savory). A ship’s decanter half full of Angora Red and a few soft drinks and water….

We don’t normally venture this far down to eat as the busyness is not for us, usually only venturing as far as the Mussakka Brasserie. But we had to try Mehmet & Kitty’s new venture – and for sure it did not disappoint.

I’ve never thought of Mussakka as a family restaurant, but a grown up place that delivers food so lovingly prepared. You have to wait between courses as everything is cooked fresh – which is something I particularly like and the service is always impeccable yet unobtrusive; and it’s fun in a serious way.

Mehmet & Kitty came and joined us after sharing their Paella (that reminds me…..) and we ended the evening over coffee & brandy as a gentle breeze got up. Just down the steps Yildiz II was all prepared for tomorrow…..

I’ve read on Trip some comments regarding this restaurant being expensive. I don’t have a calculator and the brain is currently in holiday mode, but TL 37 for a 350gm fillet steak - is that expensive? (£13 would be roughly TL39?). I pay that in Morrison’s.

And a total bill of TL 200 for 4 people must be something like £17.40 per head, so I’m staying with “exceptionally good food at a very attractive price” and with the Mussakka concept, it remains one of my favourite restaurants in Kalkan. And even more so sat at Special Table One.

We couldn’t ruin such a lovely evening having to walk up THAT hill so we rang Aly and a few minutes and TL9 later we were sat on our Elevated Terrace in a gentle breeze and calmness that has to be experienced to be believed.

Now, Saturday morning and one significant mozzie bite later, there’s an orange glow over the hill above The Mediteran, with the sun still half an hour or more away from appearing. Pool Man is doing his stuff and in the fridge is a little tray of Cheese Croissants purchased from the Nur Patisserie at TL0.6 each (5 for a £1?). Those and a pot of coffee will be my breakfast before I walk 9 paces to the sun bed and a day by the Sun Elite Pool.

Enjoy your Saturday!

Antler

Post by: amber on August 27, 2011, 06:37:20 AM
Have a great day,Antler.I look forward to reading more reports!
Post by: onelove on August 27, 2011, 07:01:39 AM
didn't know they made CK's in that size  8) >:D 8)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 27, 2011, 10:07:38 AM
It's such fun reading your holiday reports, having been there just over 3 weeks ago, it brings back happy memories of the places, restaurants and the people we met, it feels like we are back just hearing what you are doing.  Have fun and enjoy and say hi to little Adam in Omar Sheriff's Brothers Cafe opposite the Corner Restaurant and of course Mr Happy (Errol?) in Chillies and Omar in Omar's Kitchen, don't forget to try a Chicken Durum for brunch if you are passing (not on the menu, just ask for one TL5) bargain more than enough to fill you up.

Look forward to reading your next instalment.  First thing we did this morning when we woke was to look what you had written!

Jayne and Bob  :laugh:
Post by: antler on August 27, 2011, 10:47:23 AM
KalamarDream, I bought my Kalvin Cleins in  China on a business trip in size 40, so still some way to go until they are full.  I think they may have got the spelling wrong, though?
Post by: Potter on August 27, 2011, 10:47:31 AM
Very good Mr A
 ;)
Post by: Potter on August 27, 2011, 10:52:16 AM
Calvin Klein or Calvin Classics ala ebay!!!!!
 ;) ;)
Post by: kalkanbelle on August 27, 2011, 11:45:17 AM
Oh Antler what a joy to read your daily reports - you really have a gift with words and your descriptions of everything you experience are truly delightful.  Just reading your blogs makes me feel like I'm there enjoying it all with you and I'm sure others feel the same.  Thanks for sharing your holiday with us and I can't wait to hear what you and your family are up to each day! :)
Post by: antler on August 27, 2011, 11:51:37 AM
Tonight, we are on our way to Cafe Leon for their "Surprise Menu". Just checked their website to get their contact details, for us to check the booking and this is one reference:

“The highlight for us is the Surprise menu, which is available on Weds and Sat nights. Simply tell them what food you don't like and the mother will cook a three course dinner to suit you. Being veggie this had appeal and the food was some of the best I have tasted in Kalkan and on an equal footing to The Olive Garden. The hosts are very eager to please, and their relaxed manner helps make for an enjoyable experience.”

Sounds good. Bring it on at 8.30pm.

The pool at the Sun Elite is deserted. It was busier, but Mrs A says I frightened them away with my rendition of  Wanted's "Lose My Mind", wearing my iPod. OK, even better, we have the place to oursleves.......

Cheers

Antler
Post by: tortoise lady on August 27, 2011, 12:33:45 PM
Thank you Antler for reminding me of those lovely little cheese croissants at Nur Patisserie.  One year we were having a kitchen redone and for the whole of the week had no water in the kitchen, dishwasher and cooker not connected and all covered in dust.   We had to eat out for all meals, couldn't really even make coffee.   

So maybe a glass of juice from the fridge then a short walk to Nur Patisserie.   Our normal breakfast turned into coffee and biscuits/cake  there.   Sat outside and enjoyed the view. I now remember having those little cheese croissants and my mouth is watering already.    Back in Kalkan in three weeks time so will follow your example and visit the Patisserie the day before and have them ready in the fridge for breakfast.

I wonder if they do them at Bread and More which is also a very short walk.    Anyone know the answer?
Post by: suziq on August 27, 2011, 01:18:48 PM
Have a great holiday. Your reports are wonderful and I think we are all there in spirit with you if not in body.
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on August 27, 2011, 05:09:34 PM
That made my mouth water reading it! We love Mussaka, in fact it's our favourite!
Another good report Antler.
Post by: antler on August 28, 2011, 05:46:28 AM
Saturday 27th August…….

…..started with a short trip to Yali for some bread and milk. Today was our first full day by the pool and I intended to do nothing. And so I did.

Later, Mrs A prepared a light lunch under our cool, shady terrace - Parma Ham and a selection of cheese (from Lidl in Leeds) with some bread that was still warm when I bought it at Yali earlier. Plus, just one spritzer, which I knew would kiss goodbye to the afternoon, which is exactly what it did.

Three hours later at 16.20 I re-awoke just as the sun was beginning to slip down towards the hill. My side was numb from the prodding Mrs A had given me when the snoring got too loud, but that sleep was well needed and afterwards, I really felt ready for my holiday.

I don’t know about you, but for me there is something special about the late afternoon sun that makes it so enjoyable. And, here at Sun Elite, because we are a little higher up the hill, we can enjoy that sunshine until after 6.30pm at this time of year.

So, 9 paces from the sun bed I found the kettle and treated Mrs A to a cuppa whilst I put more Factor 30 on her back. Bliss.

We celebrated the sun’s departure with some drinks on the terrace  (Smirnoff Red, 2 litres for £18 at Donny and a litre of Brandy for £10 on the plane),  and as the pool lights came on, it was almost too good to leave – but we called Ali to take us down to Café Leon.

Jane. Levant and his parents were as welcoming as ever and we took the last reserved table for the “Surprise” Turkish meal. I pulled Levant’s leg regarding one of the photos I had taken of him and stored in the EK gallery, as it has had over 660 hits?  I suggested he had quite a following – or was he doing the viewings himself, which of course, he denied!

http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=944

After a mixed meze, so delicately presented, tonight’s “surprise” was a Pasa Kebabi – a small tea plate shaped dome, made from the lightest of filo-type pasty, stuffed with chopped meat and vegetables before cooking in the oven again with a light covering of cheese. Served with roasted vegetables, it was matched perfectly by the Angora Red.

Desert was a fresh syrupy cake, that was as light as a sponge and although it might have been made from ground almonds, Jane explained it was the mixture of semolina and flour that we were tasting. Served with vanilla ice cream to cut through the sweetness.

Levant’s mum came to talk to us (Levant translated) and invited feedback on her meal and any questions; you could see the absolute delight she gets from putting this evening on. 3 courses for TL35 all wrapped up with amazing hospitality. Book early.

Ollie & Beth went off for their mooch around whilst we walked down the hill past Akin and into the harbour, passing Aydn who had been up at The Mediteran the last couple of years, who explained he was “off the beer”, saving his money to open his own bar for next year……

The breeze got up in the harbour as we spied Osman’s brother on his new boat, Yildiz 3. He came across beaming and shaking our hands & explained that Yildiz 2 was out on a night trip, back in around midnight; but we would see them for our trip in the morning.

Faced with a walk up THAT hill it was a “no brainer” that we rang Ali and 3 minutes later he was there to whisk us back to the Sun Elite, our cool terrace and the twinkling lights of  Kalkan Bay.

Antler

Post by: bullfrog on August 28, 2011, 10:16:43 AM
Love the reports Antler.
Sounds like you've all been having lots of those spicy mezes. It won't be long now before those Imodium come out of the suitcase!  ;D
The up side of this is the shorts will fit better!
I'm sure you're all having fun with Captain Osman and his lovely family today.
Post by: Potter on August 28, 2011, 10:22:04 AM
Enjoy your day on Yildiz...
 ;)
Post by: Skunk on August 28, 2011, 03:03:22 PM
No doubt you will - we had a fantastic day out on Yildiz 3 while we were there a couple of weeks ago. Fab lunch.  :) :) :) :)
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on August 28, 2011, 06:03:21 PM
Have a lovely day with Osman and Zeynap!
Post by: antler on August 29, 2011, 07:13:11 AM
Sunday  28th August…….

The engine on Yildiz 2 was cut and I felt people rushing around. Osman came up quickly from the galley and as I opened one eye, pausing the iPod, I could see people pointing over to the port side.

50 metres or so away, the blue/grey back of a dolphin arched its way out of the water only to go straight back in again. Beneath the surf ace you could see it turn and head back towards the boat, arching in and out of the water. As it came alongside Yildiz 2, maybe 15 or so feet below the surface, it teased us by rolling over and flashing its silvery white underside, before turning in the direction of the islands. I’m sure it was having fun.

But it wasn’t alone. Further out towards the islands there was another one and then off to the right another and then there was a pair of them, arching their backs in and out of the water in complete unison as if they were joined at the side; and they stayed together always, their fins keeping perfect timing with one another. And then they were gone.

Excitement over, we continued over to the bay for a swim whilst Zeynep and Osman prepared the lunch in their usual efficient manner, pulling my leg that there was no cauliflower today (my favourite, dressed in a garlic yogurt sauce).

So the day was just as perfect as the other days out on Yildiz 2 – apart from Beth, who found the swell when anchored too much, going a strange pale greeny – white, only to be immediately attended to by Zeynep with a sea sickness pill, claiming “5 minutes, all OK!”.

Before we paid Osman for our drinks, entering the harbour I rang Ali and asked for the usual ride, and there he was, just as we arrived at the Pirat, coming down that hill. So 3 minutes later we were back in the Sun Elite pool as the sun was just going down.

One Vodka & Tonic became another as we looked out over Kalkan Bay and daytime changed to night. Beth & Ollie had decided on Café Vita and as Ali beeped down below, we found it hard to lift a finger, let alone a leg.

The menu at Café Ev below looked fine for us tonight and the waiter suggested a delivery service. I agreed, but asked him to not walk up the steps twice, but bring it all together. Having set our table on the terrace, 15 minutes or so after, the waiter arrived carrying a large tray – one starter of home made fishcakes and sweet chilli sauce to share, and two mains – their own Kofte, with vegetables, salad and chips; all nicely presented on large, oblong porcelain plates. And our very own butler service!

We enjoyed every mouthful – the chips were about 6 or 8 large, chunky wedges and there was enough Kofte to keep one or two back for “Tiddles” (don’t tell anyone I feed him) who always comes to sleep on the terrace each evening.

The waiter came back up with a complimentary apple tea, and didn’t want us to be disturbed by settling the bill,  “tomorrow!” he said.  It was TL 35 or something?

Tiddles decided Mrs A’s lap was better than the chair and so they both fell asleep as I slipped just one more Smirnoff Red into my glass….

Antler

Post by: JenJen on August 29, 2011, 09:49:26 AM
Wow, what a perfect day.  I feel relaxed just reading this.  I can't believe you saw dophins, I am so jealous! 
Post by: Kalkan Magic on August 29, 2011, 09:57:19 AM
the dolphins sound amazing - how wonderful!
Post by: kalkanbelle on August 29, 2011, 10:28:51 AM
Sounds like another perfect day in a paradise!
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on August 29, 2011, 12:20:26 PM
Another excellent report Antler!! So jealous you got to see dolphins!! I also love the cauliflower dish on Yildiz!!
You really do write a good report, we almost feel as though we're there with you!!
Post by: antler on August 30, 2011, 06:46:34 AM
Monday 29th August…….

….started with a Resolve.  The sky was angry, too and somewhere up over the hill behind Kalkan it must have been chucking it down. So, the walk down the hill to the greengrocer, just by Kaya was a doddle without the burning sun. We were going to have jacket potatoes for lunch today, on our terrace that we were finding it harder & harder to leave.

The Greengrocer was busy as usual, full of the freshest vegetables and this is what I got for my fiver:  (The rate in town now dropped slightly to 2.80):

3 Limes   £1.33
2 Lemons      £0.37
5 large Potatoes     £0.79
Bag cucumbers    £0.28
8 large vine tomatoes    £0.58
Bag Mushrooms    £0.93
Bag of onions   £0.50

Total :     £4.78

I called back in to Yali for some fresh bread and a tray of eggs, like you get from a farm – 30 large, brown eggs for TL8.99 (£3.16).

Back at Sun Elite, it was changeover day and 2 out of the 4 apartments were leaving. The entrance to our apartment was full of carrier bags – thank you, you lovely people form the South for all of those goodies; I’m just sorry don’t know your names to contact you to say “Thanks”.

A few lengths of the pool and a piece of toast later and I was on the sun bed,  9 paces away from Ollie & Beth making scrambled eggs & mushrooms on toast, which smelt great but my shorts would not allow, due to extreme pressure now in that department.

And so it was a lazy day (again) really, with just us and Tiddles the little tabby cat, with the pool to ourselves for most of the day. Even though the sky was black and threatening, Kalkan Bay remained in glorious sunshine for most of the day.

We forced ourselves off the sofas on the terrace and showered before strolling down the hill into town. We had some bookings to make for later in the week, too. The new menu looked fine at Mussakka Brasserie and the Romeo Balcony looked empty so we were shown to that and spent the next hour or two enjoying one Albanian Liver to start and then, the waiter’s recommendation, Tandir Kebab  - shoulder of lamb, slowly cooked and served on a bed of mashed potatoes with crispy fried onions, of course, served with a bottle of Angora Red.  (TL120, with coffees and brandy).

The Gourmet Terrace Restaurant was emptying and I popped up to the top terrace to choose a table for another night. The waiter suggested “Table 31” and waited for my response. I asked him did he like “Table 31” and shared the joke, before he pointed to the next one, over-looking the rest of Kalkan below and we booked “21” for dinner at 8.30pm, tonight.

Murat came over and we chatted about their excellent reputation on EK & Trip and he assured us we would not be disappointed.

The clouds had pushed back and the sky was full of stars as we took coffee with Mehmet down at Mussakka Harbour before a very slow stroll back up the hill, past Yali supermarket  - still open and doing well with the “newbies”. No taxi, due to “extreme shorts pressure” so it was a flippin’ relief to reach our terrace again, with Tiddles already looking to settle down for the night.

Antler
Post by: antler on August 30, 2011, 05:36:30 PM
As the sun goes down the stars come out and Antler’s on the Sun Elite Terrace and on the Smirnoff…..

Whoooooooooo Hooooooo!

Pumps up the iPod……and grabs the microphone (pink mop):

“Turn the lights out now
Now I'll take you by the hand
Hand you another drink
Drink it if you can
Can you spend a little time,
Time is slipping away from us so stay,
Stay with me I can make,
Make you glad you came”

Bring on Gourmet Terrace Restaurant in 90 minutes……

I’m sure we’ll be glad we came….

Pool Man looks across very strangely. I offer him back his mop.

I bet he’s glad we came.

Oh Kalkan, you cast a spell on me, spell on me,
You hit me like the sky fell on me……fell on me….

Take me by the hand……..

Antler

Post by: onelove on August 30, 2011, 05:51:59 PM
Hi Antler...... All sounds fab..... Did I spot some McCantney lyrics in that last report...  Or was that yesterday !  8) :P  8)
Post by: antler on August 30, 2011, 05:53:34 PM
Hey Kalamar Dream!  I only know it as The Wanted?

The guy in Gourmet was asking about you last night - wondering who you were???!

Post by: onelove on August 30, 2011, 06:08:57 PM
Can't be Sir Paul then.      Who in Gourmet  ??? 
Post by: antler on August 30, 2011, 06:10:31 PM
Taxi awaits - will report back!!

Antler
Post by: Potter on August 30, 2011, 06:13:11 PM
Antler, where do you find time to go out!!!
 ;)
Post by: Rachey on August 30, 2011, 07:32:50 PM
Antler - these reports are just magic!  Four weeks yesterday we'll be at Gourmet and can't wait.  I so hope you love it - Sakir (chef/owner) has become a dear friend to us over the years - he's a total sweetheart.

Keep the reports coming - and one day please write a travel book  :laugh:
Post by: antler on August 31, 2011, 06:59:42 AM
Hi Rip Roaring Potter!

Why would I ever want to go out, when, as the Owners Direct Web Site says about this place:

""This house is right beside a large pool and kids pool/jacuzzi, shared by only 3 other apartments. Our front door literally steps out onto the pool area. The pool is beautifully furnished with teak sunloungers and fabulous cushions, umbrellas and some outdoor sofas! We even have the use of an outdoor bar, fireplace and jacuzzi. We have a very large covered terrace with an outside fan overlooking the bay with two large sofas (lovely for a snooze!) and a dining suite.""

I just can't drag myself away from the terrace!

Antler

Post by: antler on August 31, 2011, 08:52:51 AM
Tuesday 30th August

The skies were angry again and out towards Antalya we heard it was raining. But Kalkan, unique in its own way, remained dry, hiding under the edge of a thick, black cloud that the sun would fight off now and again. After a couple of hours perfect R&R by the pool we took advantage of it only being mid-to-late 20’s and walked up the hill and down again, coming out onto the Kalamar Road at Jasmine Coiffeur, to drop off some chocolates for their little girl that had remained in our fridge since arriving 5 days ago.

Declining the kind offer of Apple Tea and, of course, a shave (had I not just had one….), we walked back along Kalmar Road to Mango, calling in to see Dilek, who was checking Face Book whilst her son played on his lap top. Squeals of surprise and a good ol’ chat over an Efes or two, we then made our way the couple of hundred yards to Chillies for a glass of water, which quickly became an Efes. Very shortly afterwards, the Efes was joined by a complimentary Meze plate and one of those large domes of puffy bread. Perfect - the lightest of lunches.

Mr Happy was on form, and as Ollie & Beth arrived we were still debating how many beers it was that he owed us from Ignite last year. A family of four came in and headed for the best table in the restaurant – table 84 ( far corner, right hand side and closet to the Samira Garden Hotel and of course THAT view).

The sun had won in the battle for the skies and so we resisted another beer and walked back up the hill to the Sun Elite, only calling in at Yali for some more bread.

The afternoon was spent like the others, swimming, snoring on our outside sofas on the covered terrace, a bit more swimming – and then a Vodka & Tonic (s) dancing with the mop until it was time to shower.

The evening was humid, more so than the previous 5 days & no doubt caused by the earlier rain along the coast. But we resisted a taxi and strolled down the hill at 8.15pm and by 8.30 had arrived to the warmest of greetings and handshakes by Murat at Gourmet Terrace Restaurant. The waiters came flying down the stairs from the upper terrace, grinning and saying “This way, Mr Steve”.

What followed was well worth our 5 day wait.

Antler
Post by: antler on August 31, 2011, 05:03:24 PM
Wednesday 31st August….

Still with a lovely feeling & memory of the meal last night at Gourmet Terrace (and I owe you one on that), we had breakfast on the terrace. Boiled eggs, orange juice and the clearest of skies…Gone was the fight of the black clouds from yesterday. This was Kalkan as we know it…

Three hours later, we rang Adam as agreed and asked for his pick up at 1.30pm.

It was as hot as ever driving along the Kas road, but being refreshed from a quick shower, I was really looking forward to the lunch – and THAT view.

For Beth & Ollie it was a new photo moment and we tried the different terraces. Adam was the perfect host again, and we ordered our lunch. I found my place of solitude on the Upper Terrace, at Table One, looking out towards Meis. All summer I had dreamed of this view, in the midday sun, with the shimmering sea below. And now, it was no longer a dream, but just a perfect view in every way.

Below me, the red peppers were hanging on the bush and the leaves were being dappled by the drops of moisture from above as the boats were chugging out across the bay, towards Meis – there was no noise and it looked like something from a film set.

Words came back into my mind, that had meant so much to me regarding Kalkan and what it means, sat there, on our own terrace back at Sun Elite:

“Let the world stop turning
Let the sun stop burning
Let them tell me love's not worth going through
If it all falls apart
I will know deep in my heart
The only dream that mattered had come true
In this life, I was loved by you”

I wiped my tears, feeling a right wuss, as ever and rejoined my family as Adam served our Mushroom Saute, Lamb Shish & Kofte, hiding my sore eyes behind my shades as the rabbits nibbled at the pretty Kalkan flowers.

Antler
Post by: onelove on August 31, 2011, 05:11:51 PM
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  :'( :'( :'( ..........Ahhh thats better  8)  ;) 8)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 31, 2011, 05:26:01 PM
Re those Kalkan Flowers Antler, Adam and his daughter gave us some and we brought them home and managed to pot them and they are now rooted and new shoots coming.  We still don't know the name of the actual plant, just Kalkan Flower everyone is saying, or someone else on here last week said Kas Flowers if you are there! If you can find out from your many friends over there, of course if you have time in between visiting the restaurants and writing your entertaining reports on here that would be great.  Enjoy Vita tonight.

:laugh:

Jayne and Bob
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 31, 2011, 05:44:58 PM
Hey cheer up Steve.....Market day Tomorrow,just a stroll cross the road and you can buy some big pants!! >:D

(loving the reports ;) )
Post by: alisonh on August 31, 2011, 06:35:20 PM
Really enjoying these reports Antler, really wetting my appetite for our next visit in 3 weeks.  Thanks for sharing your views, thoughts and occasional emotional moments with us - can imagine it all and for a few minutes at least, almost feel that I'm on holiday too!
Post by: clara 50 on September 01, 2011, 10:26:02 AM
Fantastic reports again Antler, really got me excited as we fly out on Monday so I guess it's time to pack the case. What's the temperature like in the evenings now? Never been quite this late in the season before so wondering if I actually need to pack a cardi, HOPEFULLY NOT!! Will be paying a visit to Wetherspoons on the weekend to have a few Efes to get us well and truly in the Kalkan mood. Keep up the great postings Antler, so glad it's not only me that fills up like a big wuss when I'm looking at all the beautiful views,  you're right thank goodness for big sunglasses to hide behind  8)
Post by: itstime on September 01, 2011, 12:09:31 PM
Reassured to hear others admitting to a tear or two at times when simply looking out at the view. Happens to me often but thought I was just a bit loopy :o
Post by: onelove on September 01, 2011, 01:18:32 PM
Your not alone......... I often sit (has to be on my own) on our pool terrace in the evening, glass of wine in hand watching the sun set over the mountains and guess what. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ..... What a tart  8)
Post by: bingley on September 01, 2011, 01:28:18 PM
it would be useful to have a contact number for a reliable taxi - you seem to have found someone who fits the bill.  We're in Kalkan later this month and as I recently fractured my foot I could do with knowing that there is someone we could trust to take us up and down the hill!!!  is it possible that you could PM me or send me some directions so I could contact your driver friend.

ps does he also do airport transfers?

very many thanks
B
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 01, 2011, 01:48:23 PM
Yes would be interested to know how much airport transfers are if he does them?  :laugh:
Post by: maryjane on September 01, 2011, 01:54:19 PM
Itstime - you are not loopy :angel:     This will be the first year for a long while that I will not be be visiting Kalkan (or anywhere else ) and it GRIEVES me :'( :'(      Financial constraints and all that crap!  My colleague flies out next week for a holiday,  I will spend the time being VERY miserable here in the UK and locked onto the webcams!  Oh, for a lottery win :( :( :(
Post by: antler on September 01, 2011, 02:01:58 PM
Hi Bingley, jegkat33.....

Ali is my man for taxis. I got to know him through his son, Emre, who used to be really reliable. Of course, there are many of these little "Postman Pat" yellow cabs running around.

I will ask Ali about airport transfers & by all means PM me after I am back on Monday.

Ali's Mobile No. is:  0090 - 535 - 949 - 1190

Cheers
Post by: antler on September 01, 2011, 02:23:56 PM
Tuesday 30th August & dinner at Gourmet Terrace Restaurant

After so many positive reviews on EK we just had to try this restaurant and it delivered in every way. Our table (21) was on the upper terrace with incredible views, even at night and the service was very attentive, polite and friendly without being in your face.

We chose 2 starters – some Fish Cakes to share and I had the Vietnamese Salad, which was a delicious combination of shredded vegetables with fresh mint & coriander leaves and a lime dressing; it was very light and refreshing on such a warm evening.

Our main courses consisted of 2 fillet steaks – one in a Mushroom & Cream sauce and the other with a  Balsamic Glaze, each served wit vegetables (some seasoned wedge potatoes as sides). Mrs A was delighted with her Mushroom & Cream fillet but Ollie found the Balsamic Glaze very over powering.

Beth had the Japanese Ramen Chicken Noodles (which she thoroughly enjoyed) and I had White Fish in Lime & Coriander - my love of Thai flavours showing through with similar flavours in both courses, although each one radically different.

I loved the simplicity of my cubes of white fish fillets and a dome of rice. It needed no more.

The bill was on a par with the other restaurants at that level and arrived with a “thank you” drink of Orange Liqueur & Pomegranate Juice. Nice.

The restaurant was still very full as we left to farewells just as warm and friendly as our greeting and it certainly is a restaurant we would like to return to and is worthy of the acclaim it is currently receiving.

Cheers

Antler
Post by: bingley on September 01, 2011, 02:56:42 PM
Thank you very much Antler - as I'm confined to the house with elevated fracture I'm finding your posts a real 'pick me up' .  Working better than the painkillers and giving me lots of inspiration for our holiday. We visited Kas last year and spent 3 days in Kalkan which, although bigger and busier, still offered the charm that I experience in my last visit nearly 20 years ago as a backpacker.   

Some things change tho and we're renting a lovely villa with infinity pool, lots of space, and what looks like a spectacular view - I will review the villa after the hols. 

I'm using my time refreshing my Turkish vocab too.  :angel:
cheers
B
Post by: antler on September 01, 2011, 03:08:34 PM
Thursday 1st September – Market Day:

Woken by the Call to Prayer, we walked down the slope, across the road and into The Market at 08.30am. We did the usual walk down through and did most of the shopping on our way back out. There were a few new catch phrases this year, one noticeably to reflect recent events: “Cheaper than a Riot!”.   Hmmmmmh.

Beth was well made up with her Mulberry Bag (don’t ask me which one but it was dark brown, big & dumpy!) All Star Converses (shoes, apparently) and loads of gifts and DVDs for her family.

Ollie bought his second watch of the holiday – the first one being a Rolex “Submariner” and today’s, a Rolex “Daytona”. – may be he wants to wear one on each arm?. Still, he does well, as I am impressed with his D&G hooded jacket and A & F joggers bought yesterday down in the town.

I went in for refurbishment; my dead watch needed a new battery and I took the TL 10 version and also the strap was damaged and that was replaced with a nice, shiny leather one for another TL10. Job done. The guy commented on the Swiss Movement inside, that was one of the best you could get and I explained that I had bought it in Istanbul in the Grand Bazaar in a shop that downstairs sold anything but watches….

I declined some even larger shorts, choosing to keep my top bottom undone for a few more days, hiding the 3” gap with my belt. So I cheered myself up with two (“new this season and cheaper than Asda” “Jack Hills” T-Shirts (only needed to be XL, the guy said, because Turkish sizes are small; what a lovely, genuine gentleman!).

Mrs A treated herself to a Rado watch with “our money” and I bought some vegetables and bags of dried herbs with mine.

We slid back across the road just after 10am and ordered a few beers and some Ev Borec from Cafe Ev, below. A short while later, the waiter arrived on our terrace with two large plates of the Ev Borec, with a yogurt dressing and small salad; freshly cooked and delicious.

I hadn’t shaved for a few days, so a quick call to Mehmet at Jasmine to confirm he was there and I was over the hill like a fat holidaymaker. An hour later, I emerged refreshed and rejuvenated and with the hair tarted up again, too.

I ponced along Kalamar Road as the New Me, resisting all the “hot spots” and keeping low past Chillies. I changed some more sterling up at Infinity at 2.8, with the guy wiping the board and writing 2.75 as I walked out of the shop with my wad.

I didn’t notice the walk up the hill, sporting my new face and hair cut. But I did notice the small, Hunkar Ocakbasi and remain determined to try the hospitality of that lovely looking little place.

The waiter from Café Ev below, delivered Mrs A’s Banana & Honey Pancake (he seems to be visiting her more and more often?) as the Call to Prayer went out once more. I found my iPod and favourite glass for maybe just one Smirnoff Red as the boats are coming chugging back in from their day out in the bay.

And I wonder, as Beth & Ollie prepare for their dinner at Mussakka Harbour, will we manage to drag ourselves away from this idyllic terrace again, this evening?

Cheers

Antler
Post by: itstime on September 01, 2011, 04:50:32 PM
"I didn’t notice the walk up the hill, sporting my new face and hair cut. But I did notice the small, Hunkar Ocakbasi and remain determined to try the hospitality of that lovely looking little place."

Can absolutely recommend it. Wonderful food, wonderful value and great fun looking out at all the comings and goings along the street :)
Their Chicken Shis is amazing!
Post by: JenJen on September 01, 2011, 10:04:46 PM
Ha, I think "cheaper than a riot" is the first Turkish market catchphrase to actually make me laugh out loud!  A big improvement on "cheaper than Asda".

Really enjoying your reports, they are the next best thing to being there myself.  Can't wait to wake up to the call to prayer again in a little over two weeks :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 01, 2011, 10:31:35 PM
Aaah, Antler. Such a wonderful way with words. Really loving your reports (as usual ;))
As itstime says, Hunkar is a fantastic little place and BH's new favourite doner....can't believe we'll be back in three weeks!
Post by: antler on September 02, 2011, 05:56:02 AM
Café Vita BBQ Night – Wednesday 31st August

Booked over the internet before we came due to its popularity, we arrived 45 minutes or so late and were shown to our reserved table. But I had already called Mustafa to reassure him that we still needed our table (what I hadn’t explained was, we were late because I had been having a Smirnoff-infused iPod moment dancing with the mop on our terrace).

The “help yourself” BBQ buffet at Café Vita IS popular - there were 105 bookings tonight, Mustafa said, and people were being turned away, with glum faces, at the door.

At TL 25 each, it’s a very reasonable meal, especially if you have a young family who want to pick and choose what they eat. Inside there is a large table spread of meze and desserts, but I went for the soup; homemade creamy chicken and potatoes with a delicate curry flavour. I thought it was awesome and had to check it out for my main course, too.

The music was from a duo who sang quietly and who reminded me of Peters & Lee (now, that DOES tell my age!). Not sure why they did remind me of Peters & Lee because the guy, although tall, he certainly wasn’t blind; and the girl was short, rather than tall. But I guess it was from their mellowness and it was a poignant moment when she sang “Valerie”.

While the family finished their Kofte, Chicken and Lamb Shis, I saved room for my dessert – yes, you’ve guessed it, my third, absolutely gorgeous bowl of chicken & potato soup!

A total bill of TL135 including a bottle of wine, beer and soft drinks and a complimentary Café Vita shopping bag (presumably to carry my stomach home in?).

We walked down the hill until Bar 51 where a taxi guy was having a break. “Taxi?” he asked.
“Bodrum?!” I replied, then felt extremely guilty as he chocked on his cigarette and knew I would have to tip him well when we arrived at Sun Elite 3 minutes later.

Antler
Post by: antler on September 02, 2011, 06:23:28 AM
Thursday September 1st – Shall we go out, tonight?

Dreaming of Beth & Ollie down at Mussakka Harbour, tucking into Summer Steak, we almost felt like getting smartened up and doing the same. But it was just too good here, on our own terrace and especially so now that the pool lights were on.

So whilst Café Ev below prepared a light meal for us, we showered and I slipped on my new-from-the-Market-today Jack Hills tee shirt (the black one, as I was dressing for dinner!).

Eko the butler arrived just as Mrs A glided down the stairs refreshed and we enjoyed a Fainted Priest, Mini Meat Balls & Mushrooms in Garlic Butter, a Shrimp Casserole and some fresh bread. Oh, and some homemade chips (maybe not such a light dinner after all?).

With a small glass of Majestic Rose, just to prove that we CAN show restraint, it was a perfect meal and setting. Down below at Café Ev, there was a table of local people enjoying a birthday celebration and we sang along with them, our own version of “Happy Birthday” and applause and cheers.

Eko took our plates away and I paid my TL 53 bill for our dinner and the various Banana & Honey Pancakes that had been consumed during the day.

A taxi pulled up and there was Beth & Ollie oozing about their Summer Steaks, only catching breath to say “That’s a nice shirt, Dad – did you get it today?”

And I knew then that my son had excellent taste.

Now, at 8.06am precisely, the sky has changed from the brightness of dawn to the sharpness of sun rise with the Bougainvillea a purple glow on the apartments across the pool. But there is no time to sit and enjoy the terrace this morning as, even better, will be a day on Yilziz 2 starting in about, oooh 90 minutes from now.

Antler
Post by: onelove on September 02, 2011, 09:00:08 AM
Another great report Antler, thanks........................Bodrum.........now thats not nice  >:D    But better than..   Legitt Road   ::)
Post by: turkeyfan on September 02, 2011, 09:40:06 AM
Oh Antler, you have such an eloquent way with words.  I'm absolutely loving your reports and trying very hard not to laugh out loud at my desk.

You definately need to try Hunkar - their kebabs are delish!

Looking forward to the next installment and hearing about your todays boat trip.
Post by: clara 50 on September 02, 2011, 10:19:40 AM
Great report on Cafe Vita BBQ night. We had a great time there in July sounds like it is even more popular at the moment than it was then, have to make sure we book in plenty of time for next week or the week after, great tip about booking over the internet, hadn't thought of that  ::) DOH. Sounds as if you were entertained by the same duo as us, we really enjoyed them not too loud so you couldn't have a chat with your fellow diners. She sang a great rendition of Valerie that night too, to sum it I agree with you, great night, plenty of delicious food, enjoyable music and really good company. Looking forward to our visit soon and a good gossip with the staff. Keep you posts coming, always love them and regaling them to my OH when he comes home from work.
Post by: bullfrog on September 02, 2011, 10:25:03 AM
I must agree with you about the soup at Cafe Vita. I think I had 3 bowls of it too when we were there back in July - delicious.
We also booked the BBQ night over the internet whilst in the UK.
Keep up the good work Antler.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 02, 2011, 11:58:34 AM
Yes keep up the good work, so much fun reading your posts.  Have to say Bodrum is the funniest comment so far! Laughed very loud when I read that earlier.  Hope your having fun on Yildez II.
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on September 02, 2011, 05:44:28 PM
Loving the reports Antler! Could just picture the taxi drivers face when you said Bodrum!!!
Post by: antler on September 02, 2011, 06:25:57 PM
Thank you all!!

Today's trip was, of  course, marvellous and no more so because we came across some giant turtles coming up for air....

After our day at sea, we stopped in the harbour at some sort of cafe called "Fenner"??!!  Lol!!  (OMG!!)

And watched the sun set over Kalkan.

Ali taxi-ed us back here and I've just swam for 30 minutes in the Sun Elite pool as Kalkan comes alive.

We have an "appointment" in Cafe del Mar shortly and then dinner wherever Kalkan takes us!!

This could get messy.....

Speak to you tomorrow!

Antler
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 02, 2011, 07:36:18 PM
OMG TOO! How do you think it feels like being  back and listening to your lovely antics! is that an anagram of ANTLER? Just to celebrate with you, and feel like we are in Kalkan too, we opened a bottle of "Morgan Spice" at 5pm this evening and have upended the bottle now at 7.30pm! but we have enjoyed ourselves and after reading your last post so wish we were there too.  We will return as we have said previously for the whole of August next year, so hopefully if you are there too, we can meet up and share your Vodka! and on that note, how are you managing to stretch our your duty free allowance for 10 days, having read your over indulgence posts with dancing with the MOP!!!! Assuming you are using Ollie and Beth's allowances too!

Can I please ask also do you mean Jack Wills? rather than Hills? or is that another designer brand that my daughter will want very soon?

Jayne and Bob
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 02, 2011, 09:03:58 PM
The curry soup was a massive favourite of our three "chocolate experts" at the Cafe Vita BBQ....
Fantastic reports, Steve. You are really describing our own experience of Kalkan...we often come back to our accomodation after a a "hard" day on a boat, at the beach, or at a beach club and feel totally incapable of moving....particularly if we have an amazing view, a wonderful terrace....or both. Your holiday seems over too quickly - you must try June next year - selfishly so we can meet up with you at Adams ;)
Post by: antler on September 03, 2011, 06:19:41 AM
Hi jegkat33,

Sorry, it was my typo - it is indeed, Jack Wills. I like the design and colours very much and don't normally go for writing on T's (apart from one favourite T-shirt phrase that says "All Of This Could Be Yours")....

The DF allowance has been well shook. I think someone else must have been drinking it?!  The second bottle of Smirnoff Red is looking very sad and will be confined to the bin tomorrow, for sure.

Thanks for the positive feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your "Spiced Up" evening!!

Cheers

Antler
Post by: antler on September 03, 2011, 06:23:26 AM
Hi K4E,

Thanks for the feedback, you fellow soup lovers, you!

I think it would have to be June or September next year as I would find August too hot again - especially carrying this much fat!!  But the thought of September sounds so far away.....

Of course, it could be both?!!

Cheers

Post by: antler on September 03, 2011, 07:15:58 AM
Friday 2nd September – A Day Out on Yildiz 2 (and a midnight swim)

We stepped out onto the road at 9.15am heading for the harbour. Boy, the sun was already very warm, so as a taxi slowed down going by, I stuck my arm out and at 9.20 we were sat on the harbour wall in the shade.

There was a lovely group of people all of a similar age and conversation struck up quickly. Osman headed Yildiz 2 out towards Kaputas (great!!) and it was as we turned the corner by the rocks that we saw the turtle taking some air. It must have been 3 to 4 feet across and was gone again within a few seconds.

We could see Adam’s Restaurant from a different angle today, and I could picture the solitude of Table One….and swallowed hard.

Osman dropped the anchor as Zeynep cooked the cauliflower and we swam for 20 minutes or  more.  We upped anchor and headed out towards Kas and Sidek Island, where we anchored for more swimming in the crystal clear water and eventually had our lunch. Osman donned his flippers to get across to the rocks and tether a rope.

There was a sharp increase in Lal consumption over lunch and Zeynep & Osman just kept filling the plates as we kept filling our mouths. The chatter went on and on and we had a laugh around the “Cheaper than a Riot” slogan being heard in The Market the day before. We were all in agreement “they needed a blummin’ good hiding” and we toasted that with more Lal.

On the way back, we called in before Patara where the water runs deep (60 feet or so where we stopped – but you could still see the sandy bottom). The water was cooler here and even cooler still Osman said, closer to the Town Beach.

Back in the harbour at 6.10pm, it had been a really full day and loads of cruising which we both particularly liked. We held back to pay our bill and as the others left we just tried to find  all the nicest words we could muster to thank Osman and his wife Zeynep for their hospitality, their professionalism and above all, their sense of fun. Incredible people.

We called into Fenner, chose Table 2 right by the waters edge and had a V&T while the sun set. More Paradise.

Ali did the usual and we turned ourselves around fairly quickly and headed back into town with Beth and Ollie to do some “chores”. First stop was the tailors and Mrs A handed in some new jeans for alteration. There was a leather handbag, too, that had been a present with special memories that needed some stitching; no problem for Mr Tailor and we would see him “tomorrow”.

On down to the jewellers next to Gourmet Terrace and a bracelet was handed in for repair and some rings to be cleaned.  Murat was there chatting and welcoming in diners and I shook his hand and hoped he was OK about my feedback regarding their glaze on the fillet. He said he had read it on EK, he appreciated it and said he immediately had translated the comments for his chef. Lovely man.

On down the hill for our drinks with Tom & Kirsty in Café del Mar, who we had met on the first day out with Osman last week. They were in there looking very relaxed after a day on the Jeep Safari and they told us all about it as the waiter fixed the drinks. Tom & Kirsty enjoyed some yummy chocolate drinks that looked like…..just….. molten chocolate?!!  Fabulous!

Now, all I said to the waiter was, “don’t go easy on the Vodka, 3 fingers will be fine!” I wasn’t to know he would measure 3 fingers THAT way.

Having not eaten for 7 hours Mrs A noticed the words and my tongue were not in unison and we drank up and rolled on down the hill back into Fenner for something fairly “cheap and cheerful”

TL 26 got Ollie and I a Café de Paris Fillet Steak with fries. I found it quite hard to focus on the plate, so finished the steak first. I was disappointed in the chips, as they were a bit pale and anaemic for me (I love mine quite dark brown) and having drawn a smiley face with the squeezy Tomato Sauce bottle, now didn’t really fancy them.

Mrs A knew she had better get me home and so we did our usual with Ali, bumping into Mehmet outside (physically, as I wasn’t looking where I was going) and along to the Pirat Hotel.

Now, these little yellow cabs DO all look the same, so it wasn’t really my fault that Mrs A, Ollie & Beth ended up in Ali’s taxi, whilst I ended up in one on my own. Anyone’s mistake? Apparently not.

One taxi fare later we arrived back at Sun Elite and I was determined to go for a swim. Mrs A said I wasn’t which immediately meant “I WAS”.

Getting the G-Star shorts off was no problem, after all, the button no longer does up at the top and the zip, by now, had already settled half way down. But, getting the swimming shorts on was another matter.

You chaps will understand this, that those swim shorts that have the draw-string waist also have a frustrating “net” inner, which always seems to get in the way.  Well, it was only after struggling, standing on one leg, trying to get the other foot untangled from the net, that I realised they were on the wrong way. Have you ever tried to tie a bow behind you, inebriated, facing forwards?  Antler has. Antler gave up and went for his swim.

It wasn’t so much a swim as more “commotion in the water”. I do remember one arm was doing breast stroke and one arm wanted to do The Crawl, and so I went nowhere fast. After 10 minutes, I was out of breath and as I climbed up the steps, leaping up like an athlete, the weight of water kept my shorts below the surface.

You know when you get that feeling that someone is watching you?  Well, I did and he was, having a fag on his balcony. And worse still, as he stared across at my bare arse at the steps, I know precisely what he was thinking:

“Nice mozzie bite, mate!”

I gathered my shorts, not attempting to put them back on and managed the 15 paces to the front door without further incident; well almost. The left foot did catch Tiddles’ dish of water and sent it spinning across the floor, echoing around the apartments. I think the final word of my 3-word phrase was “sake” and so I found my way up to bed and a well needed rest after such a busy day.

Antler
Post by: maryjane on September 03, 2011, 07:49:54 AM
Oh Antler, you are so funny, I have been laughing so much at your latest post :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 03, 2011, 08:12:53 AM
That netting inside your shorts is Mosquito mesh to keep them off your harris :P
Post by: antler on September 03, 2011, 08:13:43 AM
It's Party Time today!

Cafe Ev have their official "opening"  (Restuarant Warming?) from 3pm until 8pm., today Saturday September 3rd.

Music, food & drinks apparently.

The guy has already set up his organ (reminds me a bit of Roy Orbison?) about 4 metres below where I noramally snore.

See you there?

Cheers

Antler
Post by: antler on September 03, 2011, 08:15:43 AM
That's so funny, BL - so, I should have worn swim shorts to bed?!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2011, 11:17:43 AM
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;D ;D

Hilarious Antler, whatever are we going to do next week when we have no posts from you to read!

We notice you haven't visited Omar's Kitchen or The Moonlight Restaurant yet, really are worth a visit if you have time left before you leave. 

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Jayne and Bob
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on September 03, 2011, 11:47:30 AM
Fantastic report Antler!! Made me chuckle!!
Will miss your writing when you're back home!
Nicky.
Post by: KalkanKat on September 03, 2011, 12:36:57 PM
Hi Antler,

Great reports as usual! However I want to get the Alka-Seltzer out when I'm reading your updates  :P

Out of interest, where is Cafe Ev?

Post by: cleworthallray on September 03, 2011, 12:49:04 PM
Hey Antler............I hope those shorts are not wet when you are getting into bed. Cos from the sounds of your brilliant report, I might be in that bloody bed when you have packed your bags and left. Are you in Audreys house? Absolutely fantastic init. This is our third time at No/ 4 and we love it. Fill the ice tray for us please and leave me the number for Adams (not tried it). It sure sounds like you have had a fantastic time and always on the go. We will just be panning out at the pool, reading, drinking etc. Its my 60th birthday on tuesday so we would like to try a restaurant that we have not been to before (too many). Thanks for the great report, especially because it has sounded so close. Regards Ray
Post by: antler on September 03, 2011, 01:45:43 PM
Yes Ray, it's Audrey's. I will make sure there is no wet patch (from my swim shorts) for you to sleep on.

Keep in touch and have a great time.

Cheers

Steve

Post by: antler on September 03, 2011, 01:50:34 PM
Hi KalkanKat,

Cafe Ev is right opposite The Market entrance. On the other side of the road. It is amongst the greenery and just a really tranquil and quaint Turkish kitchen.  I love it (as you can tell).

Cheers

Steve
Post by: KalkanKat on September 03, 2011, 02:47:35 PM
Ah, I know exactly where you mean.  We are not staying too far from there again this year so will definitely check it out.  Sounds well worth a visit (or several)  ;D

Cheers,

Glyn
Post by: cleworthallray on September 03, 2011, 02:58:15 PM
Thanks Steve.........our 3rd time with Audrey. Will try out cafe ev, never been, thanks for the tip. Kill any mossies for us.....funny, never been bitten once, in or out of the house. Sounds like you enjoy a drink like me.....but no mention of one in the jacussi. Think we should chuck a couple of quid together and buy it off Audrey. Its a good price, hope she holds on to it. Hope you have a great 2 nights.........as if! Regards Ray
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2011, 03:53:35 PM
Adam's Restaurant numbers Landline +902428443232 and mobile number +905334145028. If you are booking ask him for a table on the top terrace at the front if available, as the views are amazing. Table 1 or 2.  You will have a lovely time there, it is so special. 

Jayne and Bob
Post by: tortoise lady on September 03, 2011, 05:36:08 PM
Perhaps skinny dipping will now become all the rage at the Sun Elite apartments and by the time other forum members stay there it may have become compulsory!    Keep up the reporting Antler, we are all so much enjoying it.
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 03, 2011, 06:16:03 PM
....nearly choked on my pinot grigio reading that last report....hilarious ;D ;D
Post by: cleworthallray on September 03, 2011, 07:47:49 PM
 Cheers Bob & Jayne. Thanks for the number and table place. Will dive to the bottom of the pool Tortoise lady (what a great name) and see if Antler has left any baggies, always looking for free shorts
Post by: antler on September 04, 2011, 04:15:53 AM
Sunday September 4th – Time to Say Goodbye

And that is kinda that, really.

The sun is going to go down on Antler’s 2011 Holiday to Kalkan. It’s time to come out of my ten day Kalkan Dream.

“All I do is dream of you
The whole night through
With the dawn I still go on
Dreamin' of you”

And what a dream it has been. In these last 24 hours I’m going to have the chance to do one more time the things that make Kalkan so special to me. My Kalkan.

“You're every thought, you're everything
You're every song I ever sing
Summer, winter, (scat) and spring”

Shortly, as I sit here on My Terrace, at 8.06am (or maybe it will be 8.07 today), the sun will rise above the Patara Prince Resort and the bright grayness of dawn will be replaced with brilliant shafts of sunlight and Tiddles will squint her eyes, curled up on the dining chair. I’m going to miss her.

Today, I will get the chance to call Mehmet at Jasmine, then walk up over the hill and down again to the Kalamar Road. Ollie will have his hair cut again and then he wants me to take a photo of him so that he can say to his local barber in Wetherby “THAT is how I want YOU to cut my hair”. And Beth will love him all the more.

And after my shave, Mehmet will put some pressure on my shoulders in a way that will make my whole body tingle and every hair on my legs stand on end. What little stress there is left in my body, will exit through my toes. 

I will feel 21 again - well, 41, at least!

“And were there more than twenty-four hours a day
They'd be spent in sweet content dreamin' away”

Then I will glide back up the hill and apply the Factor 30 to Mrs A’s back one more time, before sinking into the luxurious cushions on My Bed by the pool.

As the sun looses its heat, I can sit on My Terrace and watch the boats chugging back into the harbour from their day out in the bay. I can’t have a V & T as some greedy git has drunk it all. But I can have a very nice glass of wine.

At 9.30pm I shall sit at My Special Table No. 1 at Mussakka Harbour and have my favorite meal; I shall have Summer Steak cooked to perfection. It wouldn’t surprise me if we all had the same.

After a chat with Mehmet & Kitty, my coffee and brandy, Ali can bring me back up to My Terrace and Mrs A and I can admire the twinkling lights of Kalkan for this last time. And I will want for nothing more.

Then, tomorrow, Adam will collect us after breakfast and I can sit at Table No 1 at his restaurant and look out towards Meis, no doubt watering the red peppers below.

I will have my favourite lunch - liver with a hint of chilli to start and then a delicious Imam Bayaldi, served on its sizzling skillet. And a bottle of Lal.

And then Adam will see that I am gone.

I’ve had the holiday I dreamed about all winter (and most of the summer at home, too), I’ve read the book and got the (Jack Wills) t-shirt. I’ve lived my dream in a place that I absolutely adore. But I feel it adores me more and THAT is why it is so very special.

Go on Michael, take it away:

“Sky's are gray, sky's are blue
Morning, noon and nighttime, too
All I do the whole day through is dream of you

All I do the whole day through, is

Dream……

Of…….

You.

Be doo be doo be doo. Be doo be doo be do”.

Wherever you go on your holiday, I hope you have a great time and travel safe.

Above all, I really hope that you Enjoy Kalkan, after all

“It’s cheaper than a riot”

Love Antler

(PS: going spare, 8 packets of Immodium)

Post by: onelove on September 04, 2011, 06:54:58 AM
I wish you all a safe journey........that was the best holiday I have ever had  8)  ::) 8)
Post by: antler on September 04, 2011, 07:34:02 AM
Hi Ray,

There is a bottle of Angora Red for you to enjoy on OUR terrace, along with Adam's card. I have mentioned this to Sahin, the Manager, so that he knows what it's about (I expect it will be his wife that does the clean anyway). And the freezer will be full of ice (from bottled water!).

Have a Very Happy Birthday,

Love

Anne & Steve, Beth & Ollie

Post by: JenJen on September 04, 2011, 09:34:44 AM
Brilliant report, as always.  Your writing style this year reminds me a lot of Bill Bryson :) Have a magical last couple of days and evening!
Post by: cleworthallray on September 04, 2011, 09:46:28 AM
Cheers Steve.........We will toast it to you. Sahin is a great chap even though he did wake me up after a snooze cleaning under my couch on the terrace. We will keep up the good work with tiddles. Now for the shock........put your pants on its bloody cold here (Manchester) even lit the log burner last night as it was chucking it down. Have a safe journey. Regards Ray
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 04, 2011, 10:33:43 AM
Fantastic reading for us on this Sunday morning, enjoy the last of your holiday.  Enjoy!
Post by: antler on September 04, 2011, 11:47:52 AM
Thanks JenJen!

To be referred to within the same sentence as Bill Bryson is quite incredible - thank you so much!

I have to write before sunrise as after it takes an age and won't flow - for various reasons!!

Cheers

Steve
Post by: kalkanbelle on September 04, 2011, 11:50:00 AM
Sooo sad your holiday is coming to an end Antler and it's going to leave quite a gap in my day now  :'( Your daily instalments and poetic pieces have made me laugh and also well up with tears on occasion :'( :'(   My only consolation is that I'll be there in a few weeks time and am looking forward to trying some of the places you enjoyed and recommended.  I wish you a safe journey back and want to say a big thank you for taking the time out from your precious holiday to share it with us. THANK YOU ANTLER and please post some photos when you get back.
Post by: antler on September 04, 2011, 12:01:19 PM
Thanks kalkanbelle, it was my pleasure and I enjoyed keeping a diary for selfish reasons also - something I can dip into in the dark and dreary weeks ahead!

Hope you have a very enjoyable time in Kalkan shortly,

Cheers

Steve
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on September 04, 2011, 12:22:39 PM
Have an excellent last couple of days Antler, have looovvveeeddd reading your reports, think you've missed your vocation in life there!!!!!!!!!!!!
274 days till we're back in our beloved Kalkan, thinking about it and planning it will keep me going through the winter months.
Have a good journey back, Nicky.
Post by: antler on September 04, 2011, 02:24:55 PM
Thanks Nicky. I appreciate your comments. I know how much you both love Kalkan, too.

Here is something funny from the poolside notice, where the "L" has dropped off the warning sign. It says:

Poo Notice

Peas take note of Poo Depth

How daft is that?  Back to the sunbed before Mehmet and a shave at 17.30......

Cheers

Steve
Post by: jackonews on September 04, 2011, 05:57:14 PM
We will be first time visitors to Kalkan tomorrow,you have set us up perfectly for our holiday ,so many places to visit and things to do,hope I can get my iPad working on a wifi so I can recap.
We have visited Icmler 18 times so this will be a great experience.
The wife was in tears at your last post,the poor cat ,the Buble song words.
The funny bits over the last week or so,so good.
Enjoy your last time in your holiday.
Great reports
Post by: antler on September 04, 2011, 06:12:42 PM
Thanks jackonews, pls tell your wife she is not alone.

I have just had my ears set alight at jasmine and now feel set up for the night, although I am being told it won't "get messy".

If you get chance, try and take a look at the Dionysia Roof Terrace Restaurant - maybe call in arond 6pm for a drink and just look at the menu and the view.  I haven't eaten there, but the setting is tremendous and the menu has a simplicity about it that I like. Of course, it's all about the Chef.

Hope you have a lovely time and thanks for giving me some feedback which is much appreciated.

Back out to My Terrace, THAT view and the live music tinkling away downstairs at Cafe Ev (and my last V & T of the holiday, delivered by our own "Butler" (don't tell Mrs A, as I'm supposed to be behaving tonight....!!).

Cheers

Steve
Post by: onelove on September 04, 2011, 06:12:55 PM
Would love to hear / read your take on Kalkan Jackonews ?   Hate to jump the gun, but I know your just going to love it........ Uless yore odd  ::) 8) ::)
Post by: onelove on September 04, 2011, 06:16:32 PM
Doesn't make you a bad man......just one more please !
Post by: antler on September 05, 2011, 05:57:42 AM
Monday September 5th – The Last Few Hours

I didn’t hear the Call to Prayer this morning, but I did hear the cockerel, over by the Samira and he is still calling his socks off now.

The only other noise is the trickling of water through the pump in the pool.

The sun has not risen on Kalkan yet but in 45 minutes it will shoot up over the hill and brighten my last few hours.  Guess I should be packing, really, but what a waste of a beautiful moment that would be?

Last night’s meal – in fact all of the arrangements for yesterday – went like clock work. As we said our goodbyes at Mussakka Harbour, we were out numbered by “The Newbies” – pale faced people with huge grins looking smug and relaxed. Don’t you just hate them? Or maybe, hate is too strong a word.

On the way down into the village we picked up some cigarettes at the shop down by the taxi rank (L&B King Size, TL45 for 200) and bumped into a lovely couple who were with us on our last day out on Yildiz 2.

On down to the Tailors to pick up the trousers and the mended handbag, TL 20 for some craftsmanship that could have cost twice as much. Then on down to Raw Diamond to collect Mrs A’s rings and bracelet that hand been repaired, cleaned and given a new lease of life. £25.

Going by Café del Mar we spied Kirsty & Tom in there, sat on their favourite sofa at the back looking even more refreshed, so popped in for an update with them. They had done the Kekovo trip today and were talking all about it and their previous night up at Adam’s. It was 9.30pm and we had no time to stop for a drink but vowed to re-live Kalkan 2011 in the NE of the UK, some time soon.

I had the Shrimp Soup & Ollie had the Mushroom one to start in Mussakka Harbour, just to stretch the shorts a little more before our Summer Steaks arrived. And of course, we were the only ones in there a couple of hours later, as it approached midnight and enjoying the coffee and something stronger.

We walked down the steps opposite and along the waters edge, past Yildiz 2 with its gang plank held high. Several boats had their owners asleep in the back in the cooling night air. I stopped and looked at Yildiz for a moment and reflected for a few seconds on the 2 incredible days out we had recently had – the dolphins, the turtle, the hospitality and the genuineness.

At Pirat there was a little wait for a taxi but a kind chap just called up to The Rank and 90 seconds later he was there. So, I could stand and look out across the harbour for just 90 seconds more.

Taxi man shot us up the hill like a rocket and almost ran into the Sun Elite wall and a few minutes later we were sat on Our Terrace, which was soon to be Ray’s.

Down below in Café Ev a large group of people were quietly singing along to a Turkish Guitar and it was a fitting and mellow end to a lovely evening. We remembered what had happened earlier in the day, when Ollie was floating on the blow-up arm chair in the pool, with a dish of ice cream. The arm chair caught the side of the pool, gave out a large farting noise and started to go round in circles like a catherine wheel. The look of shock and horror on his face was amazing and last night over dinner we were still laughing at his experience; and he certainly was.

Café Ev are now waking up down below as it’s closer to 8am than 7. Sahin has come to do the cleaning with his wife (3 out of 4 changeovers today).  And I really ought to find the suitcase and chuck some things in it as we will be leaving in just over 3 hours.

But the cockerel is still crowing and the hill high above the Mediteran is a dark silhouette to a brilliant sun behind. That sun will soon be mine for just one more time, but really it belongs to Tiddles, trying to sleep on the next chair, here on My Terrace. This dawn will belong to her.

Cheers

Steve
Post by: onelove on September 05, 2011, 06:07:36 AM
Poor old Ray.................How do you follow that  ??? 8) ???
Post by: turkeyfan on September 05, 2011, 06:55:34 AM
Well Steve, you're not the only one sad at the end of your holiday - Hundreds of EK readers are too!

I have been logging on every day to see where you've been and what you've been upto and I was so disappointed yesterday to read that your holiday was nearly at a close, yet you've still managed to pack loads more into your report.   

Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday with us, enjoy your last few hours and have a safe trip home.

Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 05, 2011, 07:29:48 AM
Yes thank you Steve, you certainly have brightened up our past 10 days with your fantastic holiday reports.  When you get time, can you let us know exactly what Summer Steak is?  Enjoy your last few hours in Kalkan and safe journey home.

Post by: antler on September 05, 2011, 08:15:00 AM
Hi Bob&Jayne,
"Summer Steak" we ate is a grilled fillet steak, with a dressing of Balsamic Vinegar & Pine Nuts, served with rocket and mashed potato. The key thing is the dressing which is very light and not over-powering - it is not a sauce. It does seem very "summery" and was recommended to me 2 years ago when a colleague at work came home drooling over this meal. At first it did not appeal (so I let my wife try it!) and she was blown away.  In these temperatures I think you need to be careful with the heaviness of the food and some of the glutonous sauces are just too thick and filling

Ever since then, it's been one of our favourites here in Kalkan. Along with Turkish Mousaka, oh and Kofte....and the sea bass fishcakes are hard to beat....and the Ev Borek...oh, and an Imam Bayaldi....talking of which I had better get my skates on!

Cheers,

Steve
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 05, 2011, 09:31:03 AM
Safe Journey Steve...thanks for a taste of Kalkan.......i've always fancied an inflatable pool armchair,especially if you can let rip and blame the chair. >:D
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 05, 2011, 11:04:39 AM
I can only echo everyone's sentiments on here, your reports have made fabulous reading over the last 10 days. Hurry back to Kalkan soon... :'(
Post by: alisonh on September 05, 2011, 12:38:41 PM
Wow Steve, it's been a real pleasure reading your daily reports from Kalkan - don't stay away too long!
Post by: Charlie on September 05, 2011, 05:06:19 PM
Thanks for shortening the days between my trips.  You mentioned the Mediteran in your last post - did you not venture that far up the hill this year?  Safe home.  :)
Post by: Rachey on September 05, 2011, 05:31:46 PM
Thanks so much for your wonderful reports.  They've kept me going...but now how do I pass the time for 3 weeks until we're there again....webcams it is!

Safe journey home...and start on the travel book!
Post by: antler on September 06, 2011, 07:58:29 AM
Tuesday 6th September – Living on the Memory

It wasn’t the Call to Prayer that woke me up this morning, it was the rain lashing against the window back in West Yorkshire. Wrapped up in my my king size duvet, all I could think was, at this precise moment yesterday, I was wrapped in  warm sunshine on My Terrace at Sunshine Elite, having just finished my daily “blog”.

Having emptied our fridge onto Fran & Claire, the lovely people in the adjacent Apartment – and still feeling very sorry for knocking the glass of sangria all over her white linen trousers at the Café Ev Party - we left a note for Ray under his birthday bottle of Angora and said goodbye to our gorgeous holiday home.

I popped 100 metres or so around the corner to the Cash Point and removed some Lira for some final bills. We didn’t walk down this hill much this year, as we had used Yali and their “Free Delivery Service” for a large shop and all our mixers, large containers of water, soft drinks etc – oh, and Angora! – which had all arrived at 8pm one evening, as agreed. Incredible.

Eko came out from Café Ev and sat on the wall with us, in disbelief that our holiday was over. Adam arrived, beaming as usual and whisked us up the hill and along the road towards Kas.

Symera, Adam’s daughter was setting our table under the huge rattan umbrella, all perfectly laid out and with the single rose. Adam’s wife was busy chopping and we called her outside with the family for some photos on the Terrace Edge, by Table One. No doubt one of the boats in the bay below, maybe hidden behind Sidek Island, was Yildiz 2 and another 12 lucky people being spoilt to death. I don’t know, I couldn’t focus that well.

We asked if they had seen any Dolphins in the bay below recently and Adam confirmed there were 6 in the bay earlier this year, in May, and he had watched them a lot. How strange, I thought, we had seen six on our day out on Yildz, too. I wondered if maybe they had also caught the “Kalkan Bug”!

Adam explained that because we had not managed to go to Berzigan for a “Village Lunch” this holiday, the Village Lunch had come to us! His wife had prepared Chicken Village Soup with some rice and tomatoes and chicken stock, a roasted chicken perfectly succulent and tender having been nowhere near any cage, coop or freezer, plus some rice. But above all, she had prepared a chopped salad so delicate and sweet, with the juices running red form the ripest tomatoes, tiny green peppers, cucumber and a little onion. To cap it all, there was an enormous plate of her famous, home made chips - and 2 baskets of fresh bread.

After lunch we marvelled, but were not surprised, at so many complementary comments in his visitor’s book. But we know that things like the lunch we had just eaten, the enormous love and friendship that Adam and his family continue to share are precisely why those comments are there.

The love and friendship wasn’t quite so evident at Dalaman Airport, especially with the long queues, broken down baggage belt (again) and highest of temperatures. But you get yourselves through it, freshened up with Chanel Blue in Duty Free and shared a pint of Efes in the Sunset Bar, overlooking the runway. I didn’t care that this enormous glass of beer was TL 15, as this was all about survival. Hardly a few mouthfuls had gone and in its lovely, inefficient way the screen flipped from “Checking In Desk 51 & 52” to Final Call Gate 32, and we were on the tannoy.

By coincidence, the gentlemen in seats 20E & F next to me were from my village back in Yorkshire and had been on a week’s sailing course around Fethiye & Gocek, to get the qualification to allow them to charter a yacht almost anywhere in the world. This they had achieved and were delighted and I thought how much more valuable that would have been compared to my dancing around My Terrace with a pink mop.

But I couldn’t have been any happier, and anyway I was ending my holiday and going home.

And endings are just beginnings of beautiful things.

Off to work now!

Steve
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 06, 2011, 09:07:20 AM
Thank you for a fantastic read over the past week or so. I have thoroughly enjoyed every single one of your posts.

We arrived home from Kalkan last BH monday and your blogs have kept me going, reliving all our fab times in Kalkan, I almost felt as though we were there with you.

Hurry back soon, I'm going to miss you!!

ps I agree totally acbout Adem, we had never been before until I read about his restaurant on one of your previous posts. I knew we had to go and so we did. We were greeted like long lost family, what a lovely time we had and will definitely go back to his restaurant next time we are there. x
Post by: Potter on September 11, 2011, 12:28:05 PM
Hi Rip Roaring Potter!

Why would I ever want to go out, when, as the Owners Direct Web Site says about this place:

I just can't drag myself away from the terrace!

Antler
Do you have a gallery link to any photo's of the terrace and views?
 ;)
Post by: antler on September 11, 2011, 02:21:26 PM
Hi Rip Roaring Potter,

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers

Steve
Post by: Skunk on September 11, 2011, 07:12:32 PM
Yes but Antler we are all waiting for the latest photos - or have I somehow missed them???????  ??? :-[ :-*
Post by: antler on September 11, 2011, 08:59:16 PM
No Skunk, you haven't missed them, just straight back into the deep end at work so they are still sat on the disc in the camera!!  There must be 100 or so of the view from our terrace above Cafe Ev!

Cheers

Post by: Skunk on September 13, 2011, 10:30:21 PM
Maybe a bit of a cull needed then?!! I look forward to seeing some of then :-\ :)
Post by: Potter on September 16, 2011, 06:54:02 PM
I can only echo everyone's sentiments on here, your reports have made fabulous reading over the last 10 days. Hurry back to Kalkan soon... :'(
Yes, hurry back, then the rest of us can stay at home
 ;) ;)
Post by: antler on September 16, 2011, 07:42:20 PM
Hi Rip Roaring Potter!

Had a weak moment just now  - and booked for 2012. (Not a Smirnoff in sight, either!!).

Will look for some photos.....soon!

Cheers

Steve
Post by: antler on September 17, 2011, 01:19:57 PM
Having succumbed to the remaining days of Jet2’s “10% Sale” (and spent Mrs A’s Jet2 loyalty points to ease the blow a tad further), all I could think about this morning, as the rain ran down my neck whilst loading the Morrison’s shopping into the boot in Harrogate, was of Friday 8th June 2012 – and the following 17 days.  So what if the credit card has been loaded with just over £200 per head for our Leeds / Dalaman return flights – it’s only money!

Despite the cold rain, and a temperature of 14C, I could only feel one thing:  THAT amazing feeling as you go around THAT bend on the D400 when little ol’ Kalkan comes into view for the first time of your holiday.

The feeling got even better back at home, drying out over coffee, as we completed the Booking Form for the accommodation and transferred the deposit. Job done.

We haven’t been to Kalkan in June before and it was Kalkan4ever, I remember, who seriously suggested we try it. So, thanks for the push K4E!  Also thanks to Misty, Blue Lizzard and of course, Felicity, for help regarding the accommodation.

I may not be able to resist starting a new post in a few weeks – Antler’s 2012 Holiday? – but for the time being, it’s a jumper, coat, wellington boots and a hat to take the dog out in a Kalkan Dream, knowing that:

“All I do the whole day through is dream of you
 All I do the whole day through, is

Dream……

Of…….

You.

Be doo be doo be doo. Be doo be doo be do”.

Hope you have a great Saturday!

Steve
Post by: Kalkan Magic on September 17, 2011, 02:16:47 PM
Hi, just booked that same flight too...our usual! June is def the best time to visit in our opinion...
Post by: tortoise lady on September 17, 2011, 03:43:57 PM
June is indeed a good time, not as busy as school holidays, not as hot as July and August - although I think it was June 2010 which became very hot.    Little or no rain normally.   I have already booked flights for June next year (and September).

Will be interested to hear where you are staying in 2012.   You always give such a good report of the places you have stayed.   

When you have time there are many of us waiting to see your photos of this year.

During the dark winter months it would be good if you started "Antler's 2012 Holiday".   Those of us planning to go will be able to join you in the anticipation and those who may never have been to Kalkan, or possibly Turkey, will surely be encouraged to give it a try.

Off to finish my packing now, leave at the crack of dawn on Monday for Gatwick.
Post by: antler on September 17, 2011, 04:35:04 PM
Hope you have a lovely holiday, tortoise lady - what a fantastic time to go, as the summer (what summer?) really fades at home/

Have PM'd you regarding where we are staying.

I'm hoping it will be cooler as I would like to "cook in" a bit more, as I really enjoy cooking and rarely seem to get time to do it at home.

Have a great time!

Steve
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on September 17, 2011, 06:11:05 PM
Antler you will be in Kalkan the same time as us! We fly out on Mon the 4th. Yes June is a lovely time to go, the temparature is lovely although as Tortoiselady says June last year was very, very hot. 261 days to go for us!
Have a lovely holiday Tortoiselady.
Nicky.
Post by: turkeyfan on September 17, 2011, 09:05:56 PM
Antler, I'm very jealous of your June holiday.  We love to visit in June, but with GCSE's for one daughter and A levels for the other, there will be no June 2012 holiday , as I will be at home 'cracking the whip!'

Sure you will love Kalkan at that time of year. :-)
Post by: antler on September 18, 2011, 09:00:35 AM
Have started to upload some pics. More to follow later.......
Post by: cleworthallray on September 18, 2011, 05:31:35 PM
Come on Stevie boy (boy....I can say that now I i'm 60) send me a PM so I can see what your upto on the villa front. Our friends are back from Cyprus on friday so we will be making some decisions on where to book for 2012. BL has sent me some info that looks interesting.........cheers Ray
Post by: antler on September 18, 2011, 05:43:48 PM
Hi Ray!

I had done but maybe the PM didn't get through then?!  I will try with a new one rght NOW!

cheers,

Steve

Post by: antler on November 07, 2011, 08:11:14 PM
And now for the reason why we only managed 10 days in Kalkan this year........we didn't feel like celebrating our 30th WA during late November in Kalkan (as relaxing as I can imagine that would be).

No, for us sun-starved Brits, it had to be a few more rays each day than that. But somehow, I don't think I'm going to get the same response that I get from you lovely Enjoy Kalkan people, egging me on with my Daily Blog.

So, if you can drag yourself away from the live web cams, come and check out my comparison on Trip Advisor, Antigua & Barbuda:  Kalkan vs. St. Philips, from 26th November!

I need your support to help me develop my blog, ready for early June back in Kalkan next year, when normal service can be resumed.

Cheers

Steve

Post by: onelove on November 07, 2011, 08:59:56 PM
Hi Antler.............link please  8)
Post by: antler on November 07, 2011, 09:10:12 PM

Hi KalamarDream,

Here it is.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147242-i225-k4854867-Antler_s_Holiday_Grand_Pineapple_Beach_November_2011-Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbuda.html
Post by: onelove on November 08, 2011, 09:26:49 AM
Thanks Antler......looking forward to reading your blogs  8)
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 08, 2011, 10:17:13 PM
Sounds like an amazing trip, Antler....worthy of 30th anniversary celebrations. I'll log in, if only to make myself horribly jealous ::)
Post by: suziq on November 09, 2011, 10:53:43 AM
Really looking forward to some humorous blogs to cheer up these up and coming dark days. Have signed in to Trip Advisor so ready to go. Hope you have a fantastic 30th Anniversary celebration. How guilty do you feel about turning your back on Kalkan? Never mind not long till you are back there next year.
Post by: Skunk on November 09, 2011, 11:42:52 AM
Have a great time and Congratulations on your 30th WA. 
Post by: tortoise lady on November 09, 2011, 11:43:42 AM
I'm also looking forward to your new blog.    I have never been to that part of the world and it sounds good for a winter break.    I trust you will be telling us about the food and drink in addition to scenery etc.   

Guess I need to register to join in and make comments on Trip Advisor?    Plus choosing another password?   

Are you already packing the suntan lotion?   

Have a great holiday Antler.    We will also look forward to your next Kalkan blog in 2012!
Post by: antler on November 15, 2011, 03:01:02 AM
Hi tortoiselady!
Thanks for tracking me down on TA; hope you get to follow us around.
It will give me a chance to hone my writing skills in an "All Inclusive" resort, which is very unlike us!
I can't imagine how different it will be from Kalkan, especially as next June we have a large villa in Kalkan, and intend to do a lot more entertaining in what looks to be a beautiful property; so my blog could become a live "Saturday Kitchen" from Kalkan - only every day!!
Cheers
Steve
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on November 15, 2011, 09:14:45 AM
Just so people know Antlers next blog will have its own section on the main website with a link from here :)
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on November 15, 2011, 07:00:50 PM
Have a great time Antler!!
Post by: antler on November 21, 2011, 05:07:53 AM
Thanks, Nicky, I'm hoping it will charge our batteries to last until Kalkan on 08 June 2012!

All the best.
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 21, 2011, 09:13:36 AM
See you there fella!!.....i will be there too.....try not to leave your kecks floating in the pool ;D
Post by: cleworthallray on November 21, 2011, 05:13:36 PM
Have a great hol Steve. All the way to gatwick. What's up with wetherby international.  They won't understand a word you say. Give us 10 of them vodka and tonics old lad. You would have been better of on a muddy farm. Jealous!  Me!  Nar.
Post by: antler on November 25, 2011, 06:21:54 AM
Well, I'm pluggin' Kalkan like hell on here! 

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147242-i225-k4854867-o10-Antler_s_Holiday_Grand_Pineapple_Beach_November_2011-Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbuda.html#37140228

Hope I am doing the right thing?!

Cheers

Steve
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on November 25, 2011, 09:06:17 AM
As long as the flights dont go up due to popularity :)

Post by: tortoise lady on December 05, 2011, 07:00:36 PM
If you haven't already been following Antler's blog  on Grand Pineapple Beach, Antigua, then I encourage you to do so.    It makes wonderful reading, true Antler style.    I was away for a few days without a computer and had to do a quick catch up on my return.

I will also be looking forward to his next Kalkan blog in 2012 but in the meantime am enjoying reading about a part of the world I have not visited.
Post by: antler on December 30, 2011, 11:05:49 PM
Thanks tortoise lady!  Antigua was a very different experience to Kalkan, not least of all because we only managed 4 nice days out of 14!  I have never seen rain like it on holiday, for hours on end! But the dominoes were good (whilst drinking a Barbuda Pink Sand cocktail!)

So, now I'm beginning to think that the world's weather may let us down in Kalkan when we arrive so early (for us) in 2012, on June 8th.

Happy New Year to you all and I'm looking forward very much to my 2012 EK blog.

Steve
Post by: Blue Lizard on December 31, 2011, 07:39:07 PM
we usually go around this time...it is great...very hot but not so that you don't feel like doing anything like july /aug..this year was high 70's/ 80's and a small shower that cleared the air and was gone in an hour was all we got in 14 days...brown as a berry and an even darker belly because it was nearer the sun ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal