Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Do I need to advise Nationwide for using debit card?  (Read 10373 times)

Offline Evadee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Do I need to advise Nationwide for using debit card?
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »
Sorry if this is a daft question but I've only ever used credit cards abroad before.

I have a recently opened Nationwide Flex account with the blue debit card.  Is it advisable to inform Nationwide of my intention to use it in Kalkan or is this advice just for credit card accounts generally?

Flying out this Saturday and this thought has only just occurred to me  ::)  I have my holiday spends all ready in the account (taking some lira too).

Thanks for any advice  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6483.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Do I need to advise Nationwide for using debit card?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:18:53 AM »
I have never advised Nationwide i will be using my card abroad and never had any problems  ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:52 AM »
You do not have to advise them, but it makes sense to do so, they just update your details of when & where you will be away. 
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
I have had my Nationwide card stop working twice while I was on holiday, very annoying as using my Nat west cards instead racked up about £30 of charges both times.

At the time, I was told their advanced software had identified a suspicious spending pattern (going to Kalkan and taking money out of the local cash points?) and blocked the card to "protect" me . They also said that this software doesn't take account of any information you provide about your travel plans

Even more annoying was the one time I had my Nationwide card cloned, this advanced software didn't think there was anything suspicious about me apparently commuting between London and Germany a couple of times a day for over a week and let the bad guys run up a bill of over £1,800 on my card.   

Offline Evadee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:09:11 AM »
Thanks for your advice everyone.  Thinking I'll chance not advising them.  We are only going for 1 week so I should only have to make a couple of cash withdrawals, does anyone know if there is a limit per transaction?

I have also found in the past with credit cards that advising them of your plans can be counter productive  :(   Of course it is to "protect" them, the companies, not the customers.  I've also had my card stopped twice in the UK in the last year when I wanted to make a purchase that was more than £1000  >:( 

Worse scenario if my Nationwide debit card gets stopped is that we'll have to rely on our credit cards! 

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »
I would deffo advise Nationwide, some cash machines would not give me any money during the summer months this year!! the most you can take out in one transaction is 600TL

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »

I think the Nationwide is introducing charges on foreign withdrawls and purchases in the next few months. I read about this some time ago, I forget the exact details but remember making a mental note to change cards beforwe we go on holiday next year.

At the moment the Halifax clarity card looks very good, no foreign charges and a £5 refund every month you spend over £300.     

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
Your right alantj the charges come in to force on November 1st >:( , I wont be using my Nationwide flex account in kalkan after this date!!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 05:40:43 PM »
We opened our Flex accounts some years ago with our holiday money in mind..(no travellers cheques)..we shall look at other options in future...meanwhile i have moved our money into another of our accounts so Nationwide won't be getting a return on it.    PAH!!   >:(

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
We are going to do the same BL, Think Nationwide could be losing quite a few customers through being greedy!!!

Offline chillout

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:41:24 AM »
Hi Evadee,

I've been with Nationwide for years and would advise you to inform them of your trip. If you bank online with them, you can do this when you logon providing them with locations/dates etc.

The main advantage using your Nationwide *Debit* Card (for the time being) for cash withdrawals in Europe (including Turkey) and other transacttions is that you get a far better rate of exchange than anywhere else. If you use any credit cards to withdraw cash it could cost you a small fortune in fees.

Have a super time in Kalkan!

Chillout

Offline Evadee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
I did inform them in the end, the night before.  They said they couldn't guarantee my card would keep working as their software is quite complicated but noted it on my account and gave me the following advice:

Use the card at the departing airport for a purchase and then again at the arrival airport, this makes the computer software think it is more "normal" activity.

I used the card at Heathrow, but not on arrival at Dalaman.  I then used it for 2 cash withdrawals during the week of 600 lira each time (different days) and used it to settle my final hotel bill.  Had no problems at all.

I was aware of the account changes from November 1st, I opened my account a few weeks ago purely for the purpose of my holiday (very cheeky I know  ;) )

Hope the advice I've passed on from Nationwide might help others, I'm sure it's similar for most cards I would imagine they all use similar software programmes.

Hales

Hales
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »
Hi to All.....
The article is very informative and i am searching kind of information on the web when i came across this forum and now i am quite satisfied to become the member this forum.
I am beginner in this field of business and this discussion benefited me a lot.
As far the debit card is concerned , i find it more appropriate than credit card.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Can I use my debit card in the ATMs

Started by AlbionFan on Money & Finance

11 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 12:44:11 PM
by hobbo
xx
Nationwide Cash Card - Confused!

Started by chillout on Money & Finance

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 09:33:42 AM
by chillout
xx
Direct Debit

Started by HEATH on Buying A Property & Real Estate

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 09:37:18 AM
by Cosetta
exclamation
Credit/Debit Cards

Started by DawnT on Money & Finance

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 03:47:38 PM
by DawnT

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal