Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Can I use my debit card in the ATMs  (Read 5850 times)

Offline AlbionFan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Can I use my debit card in the ATMs
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »
Hi all

I am anewbie.

Can I use my debit card in the ATMs to withdraw Turkish currency?  I would presume that my bank will levy a handling charge as will the local ATM bank?

Any best practices for hw to plan for holiday money in kalkan?

Thanks

AF

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9010.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Can I use my debit card in the ATMs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
hello
lots of threads on here about money issues, if you look in the search facility you you find some helpful hints

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »
As Babs has said try the search facility on the top right hand side of the page and you will find loads of really useful information and advice about peoples top tips for taking/exchanging money and the use of credit and debit cards.
Simple answer though is yes you can use your debit card, lots of ATM's around. Rates vary depending on which card you use, some are free while others apply a variety of charges. Don't think the Turkish banks levy any charge but your own card provider may well do. Still for us the cheapest and most convenient way to get cash though and exchange rates usually very good.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »
I've been to Kalkan so many times that I should know the answer but....do you mean its better to draw out sterling at ATMs and then change it at a shop/PO or do you take sterling with you?

We are currently getting lira when we can afford to while the exchange rate is still relatively high.....so the bags, food, wine etc seem cheaper in the summer!

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
Hi Albionfan

When i travel abroad this is what works well for us.

I plan my holiday spends (ish) and go to thomas cook and buy a CASHPORT card. They load it and i have a pin number. I then use this card as a mastercard to withdraw cash and  also to pay for things with the card. My partner also has a second card to use.

When we get home we keep the card and just top it up ready for our next holiday. We dont pay any fees at all and it saves from having a creditcard bill on our normal cards back in the UK

we do carry our normal bank cards though for that just in case we overspend on our holiday budget as with the cashport you can not spend beyond what you first put on it

have a great holiday. :) :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »
I don't think any of the banks in Kalkan dispense Sterling, Babs - although HSBC in Fethiye does give you this option. I would imagine doing this you would be charged twice - once by the bank and once by the exchange if its not 0%
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »
Garantee Bank ATM in Kalkan gives out sterling.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:35:59 PM »
Good to know, Amber. Thanks :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
I think I'll stick to M+S before we go and then use ATMs and credit card when we get there....always be fine before!
Obviously I'll have to take my credit card in case a little bags catches my eye!  :laugh:

Offline AlbionFan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »
Thanks all

Sorry I was not clear.

These are the options I have considered:

1.Sterling T/Cqs and small float of TL

2. Just take all cash in currency TL obtained in UK.

3. Take smalll amount of TL and the rest in sterling and change at Kalkan. it would seem that there are a number of places that will exchange £ for TL at beter rates than you will get in UK. Use Post Office credit card for larger purchases such as evening meals.

4. take small float of TL. Some £ to pay for visa and then use debit card in ATM to withdrwam TL

Any feedback?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
Option 4.....don't bother with travellers cheques ..you will have to lug your passport around..lose that your stuffed!
same as carting all your money around in sterling/TL..lose it it's gone..we find it far better to draw out every couple of days..although some charges your money is protected.....don't let your card out of your site as you would at home if paying in a restaurant..they should bring you a machine...and watch out for  pin surfers at cash points as home..don't think Kalkan is a hot bed of card crime it is not you will find the people are brilliant and very friendly but safety and care costs nothing ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
A difference when using Turkish ATMs is that the money comes out before the card is returned. I once walked away from the ATM stuffing lira into wallet leaving the card still in the ATM.. having sat in a cafe for 10-15 mins I realised my mistake and hot footed it back to the ATM, the card had obviously gone! so I went into the bank where they were very helpful, they pulled a box out of the back of the ATM and asked me to look through all the cards (probably >100) for my own.. If the card is not removed the ATM swallows if after a few mins, they told me that it swallows hundreds of cards per month during the season.
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Do I need to advise Nationwide for using debit card?

Started by Evadee on Money & Finance

12 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 11:38:07 AM
by Hales
recycled
ATMs

Started by Hotspur57 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 10:43:10 AM
by Enişte
xx
Airport ATMs

Started by Possums on Money & Finance

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:08:25 PM
by Possums
xx
lira, pounds or use ATMs

Started by leeh on Money & Finance

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 05:38:54 PM
by chunky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal