Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Restaurant Service Charge Greed  (Read 11566 times)

Offline chunky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Restaurant Service Charge Greed
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:06:35 AM »
As regular visitors to Kalkan we are well aware of and accept the fact that the cost of living in Kalkan tends to be on the high side for Turkey. However what or who do these crazy people think we are? We are in the middle of a frightening recession back in the UK, some of us have lost our jobs but have manged to keep some luxuries such as our holidays. The restaurant owners obviously don''t think we are suffering enough back in good old blighty, so what have they done? Well I''ll tell you. Last night my wife and I and 2 friends went to Aubergine for a meal. OK, so Aubergine isn''t the cheapest place to choose, but we wanted to have a special evening. At the end of the meal the bill arrived which considering we had only had main courses and sweets was already quite heavy and I would suggest that prices here have risen by well over 10% in the last year. But, the greedy so and so had then added 10% service charge. I refused to pay the 10% and asked when did they start this, only to be told 3 days ago. Did it advise you on the menu, no, do the staff get the money, no. The waiter who served us was quite worried that we wouldn''t pay it. Obviously he would probably get in to trouble for not getting it, but this 10% has nothing to do with service and the poor waiters will now be out of pocket as surely people will not pay a service charge and leave a tip! The really frightening thing is that this may well catch on with other restaurants. Can I suggest that we avoid those restaurants charging a service charge!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3655.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Restaurant Service Charge Greed
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »
A tip is a reward/thank you for good service..........An auto service charge is a con, and I for one never pay it, also with me it back fires on the restaurant as I get the t*ts and leave no tip at all.   Greed always backfires in the end, as people are not darft and dont go back to those restaurants again, so their greed is their loss !
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:43:35 AM »
If there is a hidden services charge on any bill I get presented, I refuse to pay or I''ll write on it 15% charge for my time in coming to your restaurant and deduct it from the total amount.  ;) ;)

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:16:37 AM »
Hi
I quite agree, I would not pay it >:(
Em
Em

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »
About 3 or 4 years ago several restaurants were putting a service charge on the bill, after many complaints one by one they dropped it. I remember going to one restaurant getting a15% charge added and when I asked about it they showed me the menu where at the bottom of one page in small letters It stated that a service charge would be added. I know that during winter several places discussed putting a service charge on the bill for summer but I was told that it would probably not happen. What is completely unacceptable is when the charge money is put in the till and the waiters and kitchen staff end up with very little or in some cases nothing not even wages.
 It is also complicated by the basic cost of running a restaurant . Some have to pay very large rents to landlords while some places are on long leases(very cheap) and some are owned by the restaurateur.The season is also very short and if they do not get the money somehow they go out of business. It does seem a bit greedy though to charge without giving you an option.

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
My parents and sister had a meal last week in Kosk and I know they paid a service charge there - not sure how much or if it was written on the menu but for 3 people I think it''s unacceptable.   :(
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:21 AM »
We wont be going to Kosk.............See, it will backfire on the ones who charge it !  ??? >:D ??? >:D

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 11:08:06 AM »
Hi All,
We normally get 10% discount at Kosk as we are old Samira customers.
Rx

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
The boys from Nar were preparing NO SERVÄ°CE CHARGE signs yesterday - yet another reason to go there

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »
I think the introduction of this service charge may well backfire. Even the most well-established and popular restaurants rely on word-of-mouth recommendations and repeat custom...and bad news travels fast. I wonder if they change their mind about adding a service charge before too long >:(

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 12:48:31 PM »
A service charge is discretionary and not obligatory.  The whole point of tipping is that you have the choice of leaving a reward for the waiter/waitress who served you if you have had good service, or NOT, if you have had poor service (cold food, waiting for ages, food that is below standard, poor value for money etc etc). 

It is completely out of order to add a service charge to a bill that is already inflated and then expect you to tip the waiter!  Shame on them.  We would never pay an additional service charge but would always leave a tip for the waiter for good service.  The restaurant owners get their money from the prices they charge and if they become too greedy people will not patronise them.

NB.  Probably a good idea to ask before going in a restaurant if they add on a service charge and if it''s a yes then say sorry and walk on - they''ll soon get the message if that keeps happening!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »
Anyone in Kalkan this summer,should ask before eating if they have a service charge,then you will know whats going to be on the bill,and ,the word will get round to other places that people are asking and not eating in places that have a service charge,some of the upper end of eating places seem to think they are bigger than they are,instead of a price increase they are slipping a service charge on your bill !!!

>:( :( ??? >:D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »
The boys from Nar were preparing NO SERVÄ°CE CHARGE signs yesterday - yet another reason to go there

No flies on them. Good on ''em. Market forces, as ever, will come into play here.

Anyone in Kalkan this summer,should ask before eating if they have a service charge,then you will know whats going to be on the bill,and ,the word will get round to other places that people are asking and not eating in places that have a service charge,some of the upper end of eating places seem to think they are bigger than they are,instead of a price increase they are slipping a service charge on your bill !!!

>:( :( ??? >:D

Any service charges should be printed on the menu somewhere. As many restaurants proudly display theirs for perusal it should be straightforward to establish whether or not there is a charge before sitting down.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »
not at Aubergine they dont,it seems.  ;D

Offline alshepuk

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
I will not be taking my family to either Kosk or Aubergine later this month. I will also be happy to them why when the pester me to go into their restaurants.  It looks like Nar will be a winner in this.  Will be interesting to see how things develop.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »

Where is the Nar restaurant ???

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
Ilban also don''t have a service charge. I think fidimax is right. Ask before you go in. They will soon get the message, however they might just increase their prices to counteract it.

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
not at Aubergine they dont,it seems.  ;D

Thats just not Cricket. Even Ramsey gives advance warning when he is about to stiff you for an extra 20%. I dont see how anyone should reasonably be expected to pay for a genuinely hidden charge ???

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »
Personally I always believe in a discretionary service charge and often if not always leave a tip.

I am more than happy for debate on matters or for people to vote with their own feet but please remember EK is not and should not be considered a "protest vehicle" against something  :)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »
Nar is new this year, right in the centre of the town, formerly Lıkya, opposıte Yalı bar and the old Gironda buıldıng.  Top place, in my humble view and on no commissıon!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Service charge greed

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 01:53:15 PM
by alshepuk
xx
Service Charge

Started by Iwanttobethere on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 08:13:38 AM
by Cuddles
xx
Doy Doy Service charge

Started by ScotsinKalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

19 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 09:10:09 PM
by misty
xx
Service charge/tipping

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 09:01:25 AM
by alshepuk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal