Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: chunky on June 10, 2009, 07:06:35 AM

Title: Restaurant Service Charge Greed
Post by: chunky on June 10, 2009, 07:06:35 AM
As regular visitors to Kalkan we are well aware of and accept the fact that the cost of living in Kalkan tends to be on the high side for Turkey. However what or who do these crazy people think we are? We are in the middle of a frightening recession back in the UK, some of us have lost our jobs but have manged to keep some luxuries such as our holidays. The restaurant owners obviously don''t think we are suffering enough back in good old blighty, so what have they done? Well I''ll tell you. Last night my wife and I and 2 friends went to Aubergine for a meal. OK, so Aubergine isn''t the cheapest place to choose, but we wanted to have a special evening. At the end of the meal the bill arrived which considering we had only had main courses and sweets was already quite heavy and I would suggest that prices here have risen by well over 10% in the last year. But, the greedy so and so had then added 10% service charge. I refused to pay the 10% and asked when did they start this, only to be told 3 days ago. Did it advise you on the menu, no, do the staff get the money, no. The waiter who served us was quite worried that we wouldn''t pay it. Obviously he would probably get in to trouble for not getting it, but this 10% has nothing to do with service and the poor waiters will now be out of pocket as surely people will not pay a service charge and leave a tip! The really frightening thing is that this may well catch on with other restaurants. Can I suggest that we avoid those restaurants charging a service charge!
Title: Re: Restaurant Service Charge Greed
Post by: onelove on June 10, 2009, 07:14:03 AM
A tip is a reward/thank you for good service..........An auto service charge is a con, and I for one never pay it, also with me it back fires on the restaurant as I get the t*ts and leave no tip at all.   Greed always backfires in the end, as people are not darft and dont go back to those restaurants again, so their greed is their loss !
Post by: misty on June 10, 2009, 07:43:35 AM
If there is a hidden services charge on any bill I get presented, I refuse to pay or I''ll write on it 15% charge for my time in coming to your restaurant and deduct it from the total amount.  ;) ;)
Post by: Em1 on June 10, 2009, 08:16:37 AM
Hi
I quite agree, I would not pay it >:(
Em
Post by: howmad on June 10, 2009, 09:11:24 AM
About 3 or 4 years ago several restaurants were putting a service charge on the bill, after many complaints one by one they dropped it. I remember going to one restaurant getting a15% charge added and when I asked about it they showed me the menu where at the bottom of one page in small letters It stated that a service charge would be added. I know that during winter several places discussed putting a service charge on the bill for summer but I was told that it would probably not happen. What is completely unacceptable is when the charge money is put in the till and the waiters and kitchen staff end up with very little or in some cases nothing not even wages.
 It is also complicated by the basic cost of running a restaurant . Some have to pay very large rents to landlords while some places are on long leases(very cheap) and some are owned by the restaurateur.The season is also very short and if they do not get the money somehow they go out of business. It does seem a bit greedy though to charge without giving you an option.
Post by: turkeyfan on June 10, 2009, 10:31:05 AM
My parents and sister had a meal last week in Kosk and I know they paid a service charge there - not sure how much or if it was written on the menu but for 3 people I think it''s unacceptable.   :(
Post by: onelove on June 10, 2009, 10:42:21 AM
We wont be going to Kosk.............See, it will backfire on the ones who charge it !  ??? >:D ??? >:D
Post by: Roxie on June 10, 2009, 11:08:06 AM
Hi All,
We normally get 10% discount at Kosk as we are old Samira customers.
Rx
Post by: Enişte on June 10, 2009, 11:26:54 AM
The boys from Nar were preparing NO SERVÄ°CE CHARGE signs yesterday - yet another reason to go there
Post by: KalkanPosh on June 10, 2009, 11:40:30 AM
I think the introduction of this service charge may well backfire. Even the most well-established and popular restaurants rely on word-of-mouth recommendations and repeat custom...and bad news travels fast. I wonder if they change their mind about adding a service charge before too long >:(
Post by: kalkanbelle on June 10, 2009, 12:48:31 PM
A service charge is discretionary and not obligatory.  The whole point of tipping is that you have the choice of leaving a reward for the waiter/waitress who served you if you have had good service, or NOT, if you have had poor service (cold food, waiting for ages, food that is below standard, poor value for money etc etc). 

It is completely out of order to add a service charge to a bill that is already inflated and then expect you to tip the waiter!  Shame on them.  We would never pay an additional service charge but would always leave a tip for the waiter for good service.  The restaurant owners get their money from the prices they charge and if they become too greedy people will not patronise them.

NB.  Probably a good idea to ask before going in a restaurant if they add on a service charge and if it''s a yes then say sorry and walk on - they''ll soon get the message if that keeps happening!
Post by: fidimax on June 10, 2009, 12:57:53 PM
Anyone in Kalkan this summer,should ask before eating if they have a service charge,then you will know whats going to be on the bill,and ,the word will get round to other places that people are asking and not eating in places that have a service charge,some of the upper end of eating places seem to think they are bigger than they are,instead of a price increase they are slipping a service charge on your bill !!!

>:( :( ??? >:D
Post by: Blackpool on June 10, 2009, 01:32:03 PM
The boys from Nar were preparing NO SERVÄ°CE CHARGE signs yesterday - yet another reason to go there

No flies on them. Good on ''em. Market forces, as ever, will come into play here.

Anyone in Kalkan this summer,should ask before eating if they have a service charge,then you will know whats going to be on the bill,and ,the word will get round to other places that people are asking and not eating in places that have a service charge,some of the upper end of eating places seem to think they are bigger than they are,instead of a price increase they are slipping a service charge on your bill !!!

>:( :( ??? >:D

Any service charges should be printed on the menu somewhere. As many restaurants proudly display theirs for perusal it should be straightforward to establish whether or not there is a charge before sitting down.
Post by: fidimax on June 10, 2009, 01:38:05 PM
not at Aubergine they dont,it seems.  ;D
Post by: alshepuk on June 10, 2009, 01:57:54 PM
I will not be taking my family to either Kosk or Aubergine later this month. I will also be happy to them why when the pester me to go into their restaurants.  It looks like Nar will be a winner in this.  Will be interesting to see how things develop.
Post by: misty on June 10, 2009, 02:16:49 PM

Where is the Nar restaurant ???
Post by: Lorretta on June 10, 2009, 04:59:17 PM
Ilban also don''t have a service charge. I think fidimax is right. Ask before you go in. They will soon get the message, however they might just increase their prices to counteract it.
Post by: Blackpool on June 10, 2009, 05:18:24 PM
not at Aubergine they dont,it seems.  ;D

Thats just not Cricket. Even Ramsey gives advance warning when he is about to stiff you for an extra 20%. I dont see how anyone should reasonably be expected to pay for a genuinely hidden charge ???
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on June 10, 2009, 06:04:39 PM
Personally I always believe in a discretionary service charge and often if not always leave a tip.

I am more than happy for debate on matters or for people to vote with their own feet but please remember EK is not and should not be considered a "protest vehicle" against something  :)
Post by: Enişte on June 10, 2009, 06:14:52 PM
Nar is new this year, right in the centre of the town, formerly Lıkya, opposıte Yalı bar and the old Gironda buıldıng.  Top place, in my humble view and on no commissıon!
Post by: Chucky on June 10, 2009, 08:46:05 PM
My hubbie and son were discussing the economic situation with one of the waiters at either the Moonlight or Utopia.
The waiter said that because of this, they expected to get customers buying fewer drinks, so had increased the prices to make sure they still make the money!!!!
We are still trying to understand the logic in this.
Post by: kevincat99 on June 10, 2009, 09:09:57 PM
Hi Joan
This seems to be the Turkish "logic" - if we sell less for the same money it costs us less to buy
The converse of reducing prices to sell more and therefore attract more customers doesn''t seem to fit.
This happened last year with restaurant prices - have a poor week and therefore increase the prices next week to make up for it - so even fewer customers : no wonder places disappear
Look at house prices - they don''t sell - so each year you add an extra 10% for inflation - price goes up and they still don''t sell !!
Who knows
Post by: Kalkan regular on June 10, 2009, 10:27:32 PM
We loved our meal in Nar and will be back again in 8 days and certainly will be back. Good food good service, without a charge.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 11, 2009, 05:26:43 PM
Does Nar have a roof terrace? We never went in when it was Likya but will be making a point of going to the new Nar.
Post by: kevincat99 on June 11, 2009, 05:41:09 PM
Dom''t just go somewhere if the food is not good just to save on a service charge !!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 11, 2009, 05:49:06 PM
There are plenty of posters recommending Nar for the food and service, Kevincat. No-one is daft enough to go somewhere for a lousy meal just because there''s no service charge  ::)
Post by: Kalkan regular on June 11, 2009, 06:06:46 PM
Yes it has a roof terrace as well as an inside eating area upstairs for early and late season. It''s the food I am recommending, irrespective of any service charge.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 11, 2009, 06:53:06 PM
thanks, KR.
Post by: kevincat99 on June 11, 2009, 09:30:42 PM
I don''t think that I actually mentioned the Nar - did I ??
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 12, 2009, 10:58:48 AM
Your post followed on from people discussing the Nar...but you''re right you didn''t mention it, but you can see how it reads  ::)
Post by: Random on June 12, 2009, 08:20:45 PM
Zula cafe and terrace restaurant have had e sign outside since they opened last year specifically saying that they don''t have a service charge and there are still plenty of other restaurants in Kalkan that don''t have one either.
In some ways Aubergine''s action maybe a good thing as it will encourage people to try restaurants that they may not have been to before.
Post by: Cosetta on June 13, 2009, 03:03:27 PM
If we pay a service charge, then we don''t tip the waiter.  If we don''t pay a service charge, then we tip the waiter 10%.  It''s the same in the end.
Post by: fidimax on June 13, 2009, 04:12:31 PM
Its not the same if you have bad service,cold food,bad meal etc,and STILL have to pay a service charge,
you wouldnt tip them if every thing was rubbish,would you ?   ???
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 15, 2009, 02:14:47 PM
We always tip if we''ve had a good meal and service, but I always believed that money went to the waiting on staff - could be wrong ???
A service charge will undoubtedly go directly to the owners and as Fidimax says you have to pay it regardless. You can count on one hand the amount of times we''ve failed to tip in Kalkan, but I won''t be tipping and paying a service charge, that''s for sure. I just hope this doesn''t impact on the waiting on staff too much!
Post by: fidimax on June 15, 2009, 02:23:37 PM
sometimes if you have had a good meal,it is better to tip the waiter who has delt with you, on the way out,shake his hand and give him a tip,this way you know he is getting it.  :)
Post by: DRBD on June 15, 2009, 03:13:39 PM
Otherwise it goes into the TIP BOX which is always close by & mostly ''shared'' out at the end of the month.  Depends on who is in charge !!
Post by: kalkan 1979 on June 16, 2009, 05:45:22 PM
it is true every costemer thinks service charge goes to staf  but its not. Same in englad as well goto any  turkish restaurant 12.5 service charge goes to owner.iam turkish from kalkan i love kalkan fantastick place but I hate oll the  busines people iwill be there in july i cant weit by the way i like wales as well i went list year in near by harlick castle and baurment,snowdinyia.Its was wonderfullt:-[
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 19, 2009, 11:01:43 AM
hey Kalkan 1979, we live in North Wales, so it''s great to know even if you''re from a gorgeous place like Kalkan you can appreciate what we have to offer.....with no service charge  :laugh:  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan wife on June 25, 2009, 10:29:40 AM
If I find myslef in a restaurant with a service charge I always ask the waiter if they receive the payment as a tip. If they don''t, I reduce my bill by the amount and give the difference straight to the waiter. If the manager / owner doesn''t like this, I just make sure not to go again. It is customary here not to pay the staff until the end of the season (though they do get accommodation and a soup kitchen) and they live on tips for all the other small necessities of life. In fact, I HAVE known staff not to get paid at the end of a season if it''s been particularly bad that year. Can you imagine that in the UK?
Post by: Alfaman on July 15, 2009, 02:14:26 PM
So far only Aubergine and Kosk have been identified as applying a service charge.  Do people know of any others so that visitors later in the season are forewarned?
Post by: itstime on July 15, 2009, 05:58:29 PM
a service charge was on our bill at Doy Doy last week but not at the Kosk  ???
Post by: xnipec on July 16, 2009, 12:00:05 PM
Stimmt wirklich! Schlechte Entwicklung in Kalkan. Hoffentlich platzt die Blase mal.
Gruss von Max.
Post by: Em1 on July 16, 2009, 01:24:07 PM
Hi Xnipec
I agree, service charges are a bad development in my mind and I will not be paying any. Hopefully, if others feel the same, it will burst their bubble.
Em
Post by: alshepuk on July 16, 2009, 03:03:59 PM
If we had service we did not leave a tip on the table.  We did however give our waiter at least 10 lira in his hand.  It is not their fault.
Post by: xnipec on July 16, 2009, 03:28:52 PM
Hi EM!
Sorry for mailing in german and thanks for response! I've been to Kalkan on holiday for 20 years now and never had this feeling of "catching your Money".
It is unbearable.
Post by: Denners on July 30, 2009, 02:30:24 PM
Last night, Doy Doy put a 10% service charge on our bill. We politely didn't pay it.
Post by: Enişte on July 30, 2009, 04:30:50 PM
I admire you for sticking to the principle, but I also happen to think that Doy Doy offers the best service of any restaurant I have been to in Kalkan!
Post by: fidimax on July 30, 2009, 05:10:15 PM
It doesnt matter if they offer the best service in the world,they are still charging you to eat there,which you pay for in the price of your meal,I dont think they would like it if you charged them 10-15% of your bill for eating at Doy Doy instead of eating somewhere else where you dont get a service charge.  ;D >:D
Post by: Denners on July 30, 2009, 10:19:20 PM
I tip the waiters for good service, not pay a service charge to the owner !!!!!
Post by: Enişte on July 31, 2009, 07:52:42 AM
Whoopee-doo!  So the money probably all goes to the one waiter that brings your bill, even though many may have served you during the evening.  Much better than having the service charge included, but still not an entirely fair system, even if I can't think of a fairer one at the moment
Post by: bhct on August 01, 2009, 08:00:46 PM
I think every restaurant should charge %10 service charge.Because if you go to Istanbul,London,Berlin,Newyork....
Where ever you go there is service charge.  so why stop in Kalkan.Also that city restaurants working all year round.Kalkan only half a year.Everybudy says we love Kalkan Some times need to protect them.
Post by: fidimax on August 01, 2009, 08:42:14 PM
I think every restaurant should charge %10 service charge.Because if you go to Istanbul,London,Berlin,Newyork....
Where ever you go there is service charge.  so why stop in Kalkan.Also that city restaurants working all year round.Kalkan only half a year.Everybudy says we love Kalkan Some times need to protect them.

And which one of the restaurants in kalkan do you own/work at bhct ?  ??? >:D

Post by: Blue Lizard on August 01, 2009, 08:46:39 PM
People go to Kalkan because it isn't Istanbul, London, Berlin ,New York ::)
Post by: bhct on August 06, 2009, 12:11:51 PM
If you have a look my e mail adress that will show who ı am and not own or working in any restaurant.I use to menaging restaurant.

And which one of the restaurants in kalkan do you own/work at bhct ?  ??? >:D

Post by: bhct on August 06, 2009, 12:31:04 PM

People go to Kalkan because it isn't Istanbul, London, Berlin ,New York ::)
I know that.Everybudy happy to pay there so why not in Kalkan.Waiters gets monthly sallary.If waiters would work for %10 they all would be very insistence.That is not good for Kalkan.Would be like Marmaris restaurants.
Giving tip to waiters;that is all up to you.You dont have to.
Title: Restaurant Service Charge Greed
Post by: ScotsinKalkan on August 06, 2009, 03:20:10 PM
I would agree that tipping should be left to the individual and that that you should never leave a tip for anyone if a service charge is made. Quite often restuarants add a 10% or more service charge for larger tables and I think this is only to ensure that some sort if tip is left.
Post by: IssyG on August 06, 2009, 03:46:28 PM
I think that if a restaurant has a service charge, then you shouldn't also leave a tip.  The easy way around this for the restaurant owners is to include the service charge (if it goes to the owners) in the price of the meal and let the customer decide on what and who to tip for service.  It's not just the front of house staff who should be tipped.  My son is a chef in a Michelin starred restaurant in London and they rarely get to see any tips.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal