Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Doy Doy Service charge  (Read 4082 times)

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Doy Doy Service charge
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »
Just been for a very nice meal at Doy Doy, however they hide a 10% service charge in the bill and don't advise anywhere that this will be added >:(.This is a terrible practice and we said that to the girl, who then got a guy who then took it off! We then left 10% anyway but it was our choice! This must be one of the most expensive places to eat in Kalkan anyway, so why then be so crafty about adding a service charge to the bill.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4153.0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:05:40 PM by ScotsinKalkan »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Doy Doy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »
You clearly asked about any service charge before you sat down?  We ate there last week and paid about 30 quid each for three stunning courses and wine, including one of their huge Doy Doy steaks.  I would have paid more than that down by the harbour and even in a bog standard Aberdeen Steak House in outer London and without anything like the same quality of food, service or the view in the latter location.  I already knew about the service charge, which was prominently 'hidden' right in the middle of the bill, for all to see.

I am however happy to have a chat to the boss and see whether he might consider changing his policy.  To be honest, I think the service there is so good that they might get more than 10% by leaving the gratuity to the customers' discretion!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:03:02 AM by EniÅŸte »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Re: Doy Doy
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
Just been down to Doy Doy.  I spoke to the owner and two of his team.  They too were disappointed with the comments and particularly the use of the word dısappointment in the title, which gives a negative impression of the quality of the restaurant and may make new punters on EK think twice before going there!

As far as the service charge policy goes and the layout of their bills, they are quite content with both.  The large team of staff there are very close, and I understand they are quite well paid by comparison with others and I was assured that the SC is shared amongst them all.  With regard to the prices, the general view, with which I agree, is that you get what you pay for - real quality costs that little bit extra.  Doy Doy will remain my favourite place in Kalkan!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:56:59 AM by EniÅŸte »

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Re: Doy Doy Service charge
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
Hi Eniste, Don't get me wrong it is in the top 5 places we have eaten at in Kalkan so it was very good. However the point is that it says nowwhere at all on the menus that they will at a 10% service charge and after a few glasses of wine you could easly miss it in the position it is on the bill, we actually thought it might be VAT. There is the point that we almost paid the bill and left a further 10%!!! I have dined at restaurants in many countries which if they add a service charge then they declare it in advance, I thing DOY DOY should do this. I have changed the title of my post, but it would stop us going back compared to others in Kalkan that are as good or better with no "hidden" service charge. I do not thing it is up to the customer to ask, the restaurant should present all it's charges on the menu!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:34:09 PM by ScotsinKalkan »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »
Hi Scots!  I am sorry if I perhaps went a bit too far on the defensive of my favourite restaurant here but I know how good they are and how hard they work to retain their top reputation.  I will suggest to them later that they mention the charge in the menu and perhaps put a few lines about how it is share out fairly.  Apart from this unfortunate confusion,  I hope you enjoyed your meal and the service and the rest of your time here in Kalkan.

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:27:26 PM »
I ate in Doy Doy in June and to be honest it was one of my favourite meals or week however I was not aware of the service charge until I spotted it on the bill.  I usually tip 10%-15% anyway so I didn't mind, however I asked the waiter when I was paying did they get a share of the service charge and he said he didn't so I was less that impressed which differs from what is mentioned in the above post.

I did pay the service charge and gave a direct tip to the waiter as he was excellent but it put me off going back again for another meal.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »
Hi - dont want to enter the service charge debate (!) - , but just wondered where Doy Doy is? - we would like to try some new restaurants when we holiday in September and it sounds great - counting the days! - thanks

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
Most roads lead to Doy Doy.  You can approach from the slope down opposite Moonlight and you will find DD right in front of you near the bottom just before the last steep slope down towards Aubergine.  Alternatively, go into the old town and turn right at Yali bar, pass Belgin's Kitchen and Fez (both also lovely, by the way) and DD is on a small crossroads at the bottom.  There are others too but these two should be enough.

To avoid accusations of advertising, I feel I should declare my interest - the boss of Doy Doy bought me a beer (large) last night and I had a glass of cold water when I visited them yesterday lunchtime to discuss service charges.  My conscience is relatıvely clear!

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »
Many thanks for the detailed reply, I know roughly where you were indicating, so really look forward to trying it - thanks again

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
Why don't these places just increase the prices by 10% -[ tell no-one and lets face it which visitors would realise it ] and then advertise that they don't add a service charge as some places do
Much better marketing and you would probably then leave a tip
Gets even better  ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:27:36 PM by kevincat99 »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
ROUGHLY where???!!!  I thought my directions were pinpoint!

I can recommend the kalamarı, the mushroom baskets, the sac kavurma (sizzling lamb), the Doy Doy fillet (with lovely crispy fried onions) and all of the cheesecakes.  Otherwise, I can't help, yet!

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »
The food sounds fantastic, especially when you are just in from a hard days work, tucking into a ham roll!! - I have written down your directions, just in case I get lost .....! Thanks again

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »
I fear that many of the waiters never see the sharing of the tips when they are included in the bill unless the waiters are family members.  Therefore, we only go to places where we can hand a cash tip to the waiter who most served us.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »
Have to agree, its that simple if your not happy that the hard working waiter are not getting their whack  ;D

If I notice before I order, I will not eat in a place that charges a 10% S/C  to me its just a con, you tip to show your happy, well I hope most people do  >:D  Is that maybe a reason that some places have started to charge this S/C, because are not tipping ? 

To be honest, someone or something has to really piss me off for me not to leave a tip...its almost good manners nowadays isn't it ? ? ?
Albeit, the better the food and service the bigger the tip, I have never really thought about how I tip before...

How do other people fair on this ? ? ?
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:16 PM »
The service charge idea puts me off. I don't like to be told how much I'm going to tip before I've eaten a mouthful.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
Hi
I agree Brooksie. I dont mind a service charge, but I like it clearly advised before I sit down to eat, and. then I can make my mind up
Em
Em

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »
I can't honestly understand why they have done it. The food has always been good when we've eaten there and we've always left more than a 10% tip as I'm sure lots of other people do. It's a principal thing with me about all places that charge service, some owners share it with staff, others don't. I like to make sure the staff that have been looking after me get the tip.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:23:51 PM »
I like to tip through my own decision...i will give a tip for good service but don't see why i should pay to be served when buying a restaurants food anyway...
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline cheshirecat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »
Just read this and am gutted!  Just back from yet another fabulous week in Kalkan - dined at Doy Doy twice and didn't spot the 10% either time...so they actually got 20% of us!

I'll be having words with Korai next time I see him!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »
You should tell the restaurant that you are not prepared to pay any service charge before you start looking at the menu...I'm sure that you will not be asked to leave...I've never been turned away doing this and never payed a fixed service charge....I like to decide if a tip is justified  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Service Charge

Started by Iwanttobethere on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 08:13:38 AM
by Cuddles
xx
Service charge greed

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 01:53:15 PM
by alshepuk
xx
Service charge/tipping

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 09:01:25 AM
by alshepuk
angry
Restaurant Service Charge Greed

Started by chunky on General Discussion

56 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 03:46:28 PM
by IssyG

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mini Mee Cuddle.JPG

Views: 2893
By: Lindy
Storm Brewing