Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Service Charge  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Iwanttobethere

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Service Charge
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »
I am coming to Kalkan again, for my 6th visit. Need to come at least once a year as I'm sure everyone will understand.
My question is- In the UK papers yesterday and today, there has been discussion about whether to leave a tip, in view of David Cameron not leaving a tip, when he was told to serve himself as the waitress was too busy!!
I feel that it is up to the individual whether to tip or not and will usually tip in Kalkan as the service is invarialbly very good. However, last year there were certain restaurants who were adding on a service charge. I would always avoid them.
Are there  any restaurants still making this charge?
Can't wait for 5 September!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8272.0

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Service Charge
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
All the fuss about Cameron yesterday was ridiculous - if he'd left a big tip the fuss would have been about him wasting public money (his salary)!  It was the same when he was criticised for 'blowing' £2000 on a family dinner in Kalkan, no one mentioning there were 70 people involved!

There has been a lot of discussion on here over the years about the merits/problems of restaurants applying service charge.  I prefer it if they do not but would understand if the prices were reasonable overall and the charge was advertised at the entrance.  I agree that the tip should be up to the individual but often wonder why someone might loudly protest and refuse to pay the service charge and then leave the same amount or more as a tip.  Most of us would tip around 10%, even in these hard times and I think that the inclusion of the charge takes away the worry of what to leave.  That said, I can't afford to eat any more....

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »
Problem with a service charge is it is charged regardless of  the Service you get.....i think if the tip has to be "earned" the service is often better...i prefer to give a tip if i recieve good service 10% is fine,i just hope that the tip goes to the person that serves me and not the owner

as for Cameron? i have a tip for him....but children might be reading this >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
Spot on Mr L....... I agree with you completely. In my opinion, Service charge should never be added to a bill as a right, even when it is displayed at the entrance of the restaurant. If there is no choice other than being "served" then there is no alternative and therefore the service is included and not something in addition. I am always pleased to leave a tip when the service is good and will often send the chef a drink as well. Its all part of building a good relationship with the staff.  I will not go in a restaurant in Kalkan if they insist on a service charge as a matter of principle, and its my choice. Yet any restaurant that i looked at the menu in the past 3 years have usually said no service charge even when its displayed. I think the restauranters soon catch on that they can easily lose business by sticking out for service charge. The money is made on the food and drink.....as ive always said happy customers will always return and bring with them lots more business. Bad service - my tip..........improve or go out of business.

Offline Iwanttobethere

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:24:29 PM »
So it seems that some restaurants in Kalkan do still add a service charge. If all the restaurants were full every night then maybe we would have no choice. But I still am not happy at being made to pay for service whether it's good or bad!! No service charge surely leads to better service and, hopefully, the tip going to the waiter and not the owner. I'm looking forward to trying some new restaurants this year, obviously only the ones without a service charge.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 08:13:38 AM »
If you get into a situation where the service charge is added and you have had bad service, refuse to pay it!
I know it can be a little embarrassing to do so but, it's your money and adding a service charge implies that you will receive good service. If you don't, point that out to the manager/owner and explain the reasons why you feel that they have not provided the service expected.
Better to regret something you have done than something you didn't do.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Doy Doy Service charge

Started by ScotsinKalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

19 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 09:10:09 PM
by misty
xx
Service charge/tipping

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 09:01:25 AM
by alshepuk
xx
Service charge greed

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 01:53:15 PM
by alshepuk
angry
Restaurant Service Charge Greed

Started by chunky on General Discussion

56 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 03:46:28 PM
by IssyG

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Pure serenity!

Views: 4558
By: headroom
A cool beer at Adams