Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: books  (Read 10323 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
books
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »
hello
I am an avid reader on holiday and always run out of books. This has never been a problem before as we have stayed in apartments with a reception that had a book swap area.....don''t think this will be the case this year. Does anyone know of a book swap scheme so I don''t have to use all my luggage allowance on books?!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3523.0

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: books
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
Hi,

We change our books at the Samira Deluxe hotel, it usually has a 100 plus books on their exchange table, and they seem happy for non residents to exchange books (although we usually say hello and have a beer at the bar when we call in).

Regards

Alan   

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM »
You can donate books you''ve read and, for a small donation to help the street animals, get some you might not have read from Abi Travel. Every apartment we''ve stayed in has had a selection of books to borrow, so you might be lucky ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:36:50 PM »
Most of the hotels & apartment complexes are OK with you doing a book swap if you wander in.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »
There is a good thread in the "Everything Else" section about holiday reading and where to obtain and swop books.
Feel free to recommend any good reads and authors.
Joan

Offline juliewilsonj

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »
I''m an avid reader at all times but especially on holiday. I was giving some thought to the perfect books to take to Kalkan and the top two (with a Turkish theme) would have to be ''Birds without wings'' by Louis de Bernieres which is an incredible piece of writing which manages to wrap the fall of the Ottoman empire, the various wars and the birth of modern Turkey around a tale of love and tragedy.

The second is another classic which in part documents the Greek withdrawl from their homes in 1923? The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen is however much more than that, it''s a life affirming huge breath of fresh air.

Both of these novels will leave you not only more aware of Turkish/Greek history but feeling uplifted and a better person for the effort.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »
I too have read Birds without wings and it is wonderful. Thanks for the other recommendation Julie, I will put that on my list.

Offline juliewilsonj

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
Lorretta,

Must apologise here, The Corrections is a book I am reading at the moment and must have been on my mind too much when I made that post. (It is also a brilliant novel by the way)

The second book I was talking about was ''Middlesex'' by Jeffrey Eugenides. I hope you''re not too narrow minded though as the main protagonist is an hermaphrodite! Trust me though, it''s brilliant.

I took about eight books with me last year and still ended up getting another from the Adda shop. Some people think you are boring to be in such a beautiful place as Kalkan and have you''re head buried in a book but that''s just my way to relax. (as well as the odd drink of course!) I''m the kind of person who takes a week to go ''white'' before the red arrives to complete the look of a Liverpool scarf! Therefore I prefer the evenings and the delicious food and my days are spent mostly in the shade, taking in the views and reading.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
No need to apologise Julie. I am going to look on Amazon for Middlesex. I do like to read the customer reviews on that site before I make a purchase. the fact that the main protagonist is a hermaphrodite won''t put my off I like quirky and unusual books. Talking of quirky have you read the Louis de Berniere trilogy set in a fictional South American country. I think from memory the first one was is entitled "The War of Don Emanuels Nether Parts" These books are quite surreal, sometimes dark but ultimately funny and uplifting. I may even read them again which is something I rarely do. Actually I did read Captain Correlli 3 times! Also "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Husseni is a terrific read, can''t recommend it highly enough. And I might add there is nothing wrong with sitting in the shade and reading. it''s my idea of heaven!

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:54:17 AM »
I took Middlesex on hols with me a couple of years ago & really enjoyed it.

Another recommendation is ''Sacred Games'' by Vikram Chandra - a crime thriller set in Bombay/Mumbai - 900 pages & a fascinating insight into India, the city of Mumbai/Bombay & the Indian people living there.

Have to add that there is some bad language & sex but nothing too OTT!!!

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »
Sally did you ever get round to reading Shantaram. If so what did you think?
I am definitely going to buy Middlesex. The customer reviews on Amazon are terrific.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »
Shantram is still sitting there waiting to be read, Loretta.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
Sally, it''s got some great reviews on amazon, which is why I bought it, but I didn''t like it at all. I would be interested to hear your views once you get round to reading it.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »
Oh I will get round to reading it - but I read that you didn''t like it before I even started it & I''ve been a bit put off. Will give it a crack but don''t think I''m taking it on hols!

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
Oh Sally, I am sorry I didn''t mean to put you off! I know loads of people who couldn''t get passed the first 3 chapters of Captain Correlli, but I absolutely loved it. Give Shantaram a go and see what you think. Judging by the reviews on amazon I am definitely in the minority! I posted a negative review on there and someone commented that I should go back to reading Harry Potter! LOL I have never read Harry Potter.

Offline helen1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
Still trying to get past the 1st three chapters of Captain Correlli and will succeed one day because I know it will be worth it! I didn''t watch the film because I hating watching films before I''ve read the book.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »
Perservere Helen. It''s well worth the effort. As for the film, it''s rubbish, misses out the central theme of the book entirely and the ending is totally different! The scenery is stunning though!

Offline bassett

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »
a really funny and tongue in cheek book is "how to kill your husband and other handy household hints" its by kathy lette. can buy on amazon for about 1p. had me in stitches

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
It took me ages to ''get into'' Captain Correlli - but it was worth it.

And I agree about books & films. In fact I can only think of a very few books I''ve read that I''ve enjoyed the film of - one being The Go Between & the other, the TV series of ''Jewel in The Crown''. I read the latter one holiday (4 books to it) & it was a wonderful read for holidays.

Offline helen1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »
Thanks for encouragement re. Captain Correlli I will try again tonight- it''s been by my bed for a long time.
One of my favourite books is The Time Traveller''s Wife which I believe is due to be released as a film in August. We''ll see what they do to that!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Those Books

Started by keith on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 01:52:47 PM
by amber
xx
Books

Started by clara 50 on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 10:26:56 AM
by clara 50
xx
Books

Started by Tatilde on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 05:14:31 PM
by Lizilu20
question
Books 2014

Started by kalkan4eva on The Everything Else Area!

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 04:26:58 PM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal