Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: books  (Read 10335 times)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: books
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »
I haven''t read the Time Travellers Wife. It''s one of those books I keep looking at in bookshops but never purchase. The premise seems a bit too far fetched. Maybe I will give it a go after all. I loved Never Let Me Go which is a book that normally I wouldn''t pick up, but I had run out of books on holiday and someone had left it in our apartment. It was brilliant.

Offline helen1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »
I agree with you Never Let me Go is a fabulous book. Do give The Time Traveller''s Wife a go. It does sound far fetched but it really grips you and I was really upset when I''d finished it.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »
Thanks Helen. It''s on my list of books to take with me to Kalkan in Jume.

Offline juliewilsonj

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
The Time Travellers wife is a great holiday book and I was like you in first dismissing it on the very premise of the tale but it is worth the effort.

We returned today from a week in a cottage in New Quay in Wales, which really was lovely but I only got through three books in the week, must be something with Kalkan as I always do at least four or five there. We go in about three weeks from now and I have a pile of books by my bed I have been saving all year!

Feel dead kiddish with the excitement of it all, pathetic at my age but all of our family love the Kalkan holiday so much and as our kids are getting older I''m determined to enjoy their last trips with us. The eldest has already reached the Harry Enfield kids stage but we still love having them with us.

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 12:40:05 AM »
We all must be geting older. Had our grandson out with us. Normally read 4 books a week. Only read 2 this time!! Can I ask you all to read Dennis Lehanne? He wrote Mystic River and scripted The Wire. He also wrote the movie Gone Baby Gone! The new book is called "The Given Day". The books are all different and my does he tell a story!!
Rx

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »
For those that would like a light read and learn about the history of Lycia up to the present day, why not try Tricia Emptage''s new book "The Road To Ruins".  She lives at Letoon and runs a friendly history class in Kalkan in winter.The paper back is excellent and even if you are not into history the final third of the book is about present day Turkey with lots of the author''s own experiences(funny and not so funny), comments and topical information.I loved it.
What makes it even more unique is that much of the information is based on the area from Fethiye to Kas which is not usually found in most guide books to Turkey.

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 11:27:09 AM »
Howmad, that book sounds really interesting.  Would you know where we could get it?  Its not on Amazon or play.com

Thanks.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:06 AM »
Hi Turkeyfan - if you look on the Kalkan Turkish local news website at http://www.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/local-news/19471-a-new-book-the-road-to-ruins-by-tricia-emptage - you will find out all about the book and can contact tricia to order your copy - seems very good value at 25ytl - i will be getting my copy when I am out there!

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline tonik

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
Hi, I loved Sacred Games also "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth. Would also like to recommend "the power of the dog" by Don Winslow set in the states and South America about the war against drugs and any of Carl Hiassen, crime with a twist and very funny, last but not least "Homicide A year on the Killing Streets" by David Simon which was the basis of The Wire. Have just bought Dennis Lehane "Darkness, take my hand" So many books too little time. Thanks to all for information on book swaps

Offline belinda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 02:50:53 AM »
I read Tricia Emptage''s book, ''The Road to Ruins'', they had copies for sale in the hotel at reception, I really enjoyed it and found it informative at the same time, well worth a read.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »
Many thanks to those of you who reccommended Middlesex. I read it on our recent holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually didn''t do much reading on this visit which is unusual for me however I did also read "When we were orphans" by Kazuo Ishiguro which was fantastic. He really is a gifted writer and his books are so different, he seems to be able to write on different themes and subject matters. The other book I read was "Almost Moon" by Alice Seabold. I had read "Lovely Bones" by her which I thought was terrific, really original. Sadly Almost Moon was very dissapointing. I didn''t like, or feel any empathy for the main character and it had a very unsatisfactory ending.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »
I also read The Road to Ruins and even though I thought I knew much about the area and Turkish culture, I found it very informative, funny  and quite fascinating, much more than a mere guidebook. I particularly enjoyed her anecdotes of village life and insights into local customs.

I recommend it to anyone who likes Kalkan and would like to know more about life here. I bought six copies as presents for friends and everyone who has received it has thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lantana

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 08:26:59 AM »
Hi Lantana who is the booky? I''ll get a copy from Amazon if poss before I next come.
Carpe diem

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »
HI Bevjam

Unfortunately, it is only available in Turkey.  There are a number of places in Kalkan where you can buy it or you can call the author, Trisha Emptage - 0090 537 790 8689 and she will deliver a copy to you - personally signed  - when you are here.

I believe that there were some copies in the UK which somebody took back from here to sell but you would need to talk to Trisha to find out how to order them if they are still available.

We bought our copies directly from Trisha.

Lantana

Offline saskia

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »
You can buy a copy of Tricia's book 'Road to Ruins' at Vessila and Brako Boutique (AKA Koton) below Ibo Restaurant in the Old Town. Well worth a read.
www.kapsa.co.uk official website also see Friends of Kapsa on facebook http://www.facebook.com/

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »
Thanks Lantana and Saskia. I'll wait until I get there to get one. Less in the hand luggage anyway
BJ

Offline matelot92

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »
Hi All - not in KK until Xmas but would just like to say that Shantaram in brillx2 - not forgetting that it is based on real life. I would also reccomment Middlesex - great read. As an add on, Johnny Depp has the film rights to Shantaram so read the book first !! Dave

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 06:35:12 PM »
Hi Dave,
it seems like I am definitely in the minority where Shantaram is concerned. I just didn't like the author, he seemed to just want to "big himself up" all the time, and some of the prose had me reaching for the sick bucket. Still, like I said before I bought it on the strength of the reviews on amazon and it would appear I am in the minority. Each to their own and all that.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »
I suppose I am going to have to read it now!!

Offline matelot92

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »
Hi Loretta and Sally. I may have got carried away with my last comments. It's a great read, from a male point of view. Most of us are wimps at heart but we get engrossed in a book like this and imagine ourselves to be ruffty-tuffty's. No matter how much I enthused about it my wife didn't want to read it !! However, to make up, here is my list of best reads so far this year.
Pillars of the Earth. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Labyrinth/Sepuchre. This Thing of Darkness. The Dante Club.  Dave

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Those Books

Started by keith on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 01:52:47 PM
by amber
xx
Books

Started by clara 50 on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 10:26:56 AM
by clara 50
xx
Books

Started by Tatilde on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 05:14:31 PM
by Lizilu20
question
Books 2014

Started by kalkan4eva on The Everything Else Area!

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 04:26:58 PM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Guess Where?

Views: 3074
By: Brooksie
Omars 20/9/07