Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Books 2014  (Read 2128 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Books 2014
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
What is everyone planning to read this year?
I've ordered "The Things We Never Said", "The Foster Husband", "Necessary Lies" and "Life After Life" - sorry I'm a proper book person as opposed to Kindle.
We were away at the start of the year and I read "Me before You", The Light Between Oceans" and "The Husbands Secret" - all good holiday reads if anyone is after recommendations.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12010.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Books 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »
I read both paperbacks and kindle books. I have joined the amazon prime scheme which allows me to borrow for " free", a book a month from the kindle lending library so I've read all sorts of diverse books - some that I would never have normally contemplated. At the moment I am reading "the Hangman's daughter" series, which German books that are translated into English amd I'm really enjoying. They are set in a small Bavarian hamlet circa 1600 and are basically murder mysteries, with a load of folklore thrown in. Believe it or not, they are really good books and I'd never in a million years usually pick something like this.
Another good read was "Splinter", a thriller by Sebastin Fitzek, again a foreign author, translated into English but totally unputdownable. The Husband's secret was one I thoroughly enjoyed too. While we were in Kalkan recently, I bought "Apple Tree Yard" from WHSmith which was a good holiday read, about a 50 something year old professioonal woman, who has an affair with deadly consequences and starts with her in the dock at the Old Bailey, but we don't know why. A kind of back to front book but very good. I also read "The Fault in Our Stars" after our girls had finished it as I'd nothing better to do. This was more for teenagers really, but was a decent read for adults too. It was about a terminally ill teenage child and her relationship with her boyfriend who also has cancer. I felt for the parents in the book, whereas my girls identified more with the protagonist.
I can recommennd anything by Peter James, a crime writer and a really good novel I read last year was called "The Drowning Guard" which is a story about the Ottoman Empire in the early 19th century, by Linda Lafferty. Fab book. I couldn't put it down.
I love Kate Atkinson too and also have "life after life" on my wish list too.
I'm really looking forward to everyones recommendations.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
I tend to read things that are not too taxing as I have the attention span of a moth......Anything by James Patterson is fine ..this years 2 are "Private Berlin" & "Kill Alex Cross"
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
One plus one by Jojo Moyes is a good holiday read.....was quite said when I finished it! I also enjoyed The flavours of love by Dorothy Koomson and the Rosie Project made me laugh!
Have life after life and apple tree yard on my kindle really to go.
This time last year I converted to a kindle.....I really thought I would miss holding an actual book but I don't! And the way I read when I go away means there is more room to being goodies back! :laugh:

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 05:26:38 PM »
Usually too lazy to read books but this time I'm taking All Night Long by the old Radio London DJ Dave Cash, it's a fictitious  story about a pirate radio station in the 60s.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »
Forgot to say, I also take a stash of magazines which I buy at the Airport and they weigh as heavy as the Duty Free :o :o BH buys things like "Practical Classics" but then I catch him reading my Harpers Bazaar or Red magazines - funny, you don't catch me reading his mags about cars :-\

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »
I like my mags too but found myself in the wilderness a few years ago when I seemed to grow too old for some of the glossies eg marie claire and cosmo - they seemed more aimed at young girls on the pull and were just full of "what's your most embarrassing sex tale!!!" :o.  I then found Red thank goodness!
Made me laugh re your BH. Mine is a sucker for 'take a break' although he will deny it to the hills  ;D
Some fab recommendations as well peeps. I'm adding to my wish list nicely thanks.

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »
I've got 4 Harlan Coben books on my e-reader: Play Dead, Gone For Good, Hold Tight & No Second Chance. Most if not all his books are firmly in the 'not-put-downable' category (best I've read so far is Tell No One). I've only read his standalone thrillers, not yet tried his Myron Bolitar series. Another to read is Sycamore Row by John Grisham. I used to enjoy his earlier books but feel he's gone off the boil a bit.

Other favourite authors are Linwood Barclay, whose style is similar to Harlan Coben but slightly grittier, Dan Brown, who just needs to be more prolific (I just hate waiting 2-3 years between novels) and Sam Bourne whose books The Chosen One, The Last Testament & The Final Reckoning are very much Dan Brown-esque and very, very good.

One thing's for sure: I'll need to get more books for the summer hols as I usually get through 7-8 in 2 weeks!
Live for today, plan for tomorrow, party tonight!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
Love your recommendations livingproof, you must read the myron bolitar series as they are fab too!  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Books

Started by clara 50 on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 10:26:56 AM
by clara 50
xx
Books

Started by Tatilde on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 05:14:31 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
books

Started by Babs on General Discussion

40 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 10:32:17 AM
by Lorretta
xx
Those Books

Started by keith on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 01:52:47 PM
by amber

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal