Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New Kalkan road - what an eyesore!  (Read 8236 times)

Offline polly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
New Kalkan road - what an eyesore!
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:45:49 PM »
I was in Kalkan in June.  Had heard about the new road and thought it sad because I had rather liked the last winding, picturesque bit into Kalkan although the shortened transfer time would be nice and it''d be easier for the buses etc. But what a scar slashed into the mountainside!  Know it''s not finished but I just hope they camouflage it with trees because it''s hideous!! Does anyone know if there are plans to pretty it up?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2261.0

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: New Kalkan road - what an eyesore!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:04:14 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has travelled on the new road since it has been completed.

If so, how long does it now take from Dalaman?

Must agree that the mountain views were lovely but the car gears must have suffered!

Barbara

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »
came back last week and our transfers to and from Dalaman were 2 hours with a stop. I agree that the old road was beautiful but so are the views you get of Kalkan and Kalamar from the new road. Do hope they do a bit of landscaping though.

Offline Jacdav

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:44:19 AM »
Hi, Just came back last week and we walked up to the access road just below the new road. There has been a lot of plants and climbers put in on the retaining wall.  It well take time but I am sure will blend in better then it does at the moment.

Cheers.

P.S Our transfer time was under 1.5 hours with no stop.

Offline micmac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »
Anyone know the effect the new road is having on walking into town from the Samira deluxe area? :)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »
None, its not a problem the guys at the Samira have put signs up and even some lighting.

Offline lesley-ac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Misty,

Coming to the Tutun (beyhan poperty) apartments on Mon, next door to Samira deluxe I think.  How long a walk is it to town (main road) and does the new road shorten it ?  I''d thought the new road was only relevant to the car transfer journey.

Lesley

Offline kalkan wife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:20:45 PM »
I know the Tutun apartments well, the walk to town is not changed by the new road at all, not this year anyway. The apartments lie between 2 roads which both meet the through Kalkan road which you cross to access the village. As far as I know 1 of these roads will go when the new road is further extended towards the Jandarme. The village is about 6 mins walk downhill.............and quite a bit more on the way home! I hope you enjoy Tutun''s it''s a lovely small block and very well maintained.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Lesley

We stay about 200 yards further up but in line with the SD, the new route really doesn''t make much difference. You go down the road past the SD which is now a dead end, turn left for a few yards past the villas (now on the road) then right on to the road down to the main road. This is the original road the new road hasn''t reached it yet, straight across into town the same way if the new road wasn''t there. They have even built some steps down to the road heading into the village. One funny thing all the local dogs seem to met on the unfinished new road around 20:00 hrs.....we counted 9 one night all sitting there...

Misty   

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »
We used the new road a couple of weeks ago and was really disappointed with it, we had a private transfer & it took an hour & a half roughly with one 5 minute stop which isn''t too bad, but what we was disappointed about was the views, everyone keeps saying what fantastic views there are but we couldn''t see a thing, unless you stand right on the side of the road the views are nothing compared to the old road.

The new road has definitely lost that wow factor when you first arrive & see the view of Kalkan

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24:36 PM »
Thankfully it''s also lost the ''wow'' factor when you met a loonie without brakes on the wrong side of a hairpin bend. The old road was very dangerous: the new one saves 5 minutes of terror and probably a litre or so of fuel. My only, quite considerable, concern is where all the rainfall collected will go - from what I''ve seen the drainage looks hopelessly inadequate and Beyhan Villas (just below end of road) have been flooded the last 2 Octobers before this enormous catchment area was built. Why did they have to build this end of the road so wide? - it''s as wide as a UK motorway and they have sunken 1.5 metre pipes either side to act as ''sumps'' and prevent flash floods when it rains.

Offline slachlan

• Susan L
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 10:17:11 PM »
For what it''s worth, I think the new road is an eyesore. The time saved is negligible and I used to love the climb and subsequent ''reveal'' and descent into the village, there was a real sense of anticipation before the new road.

Is this really progress? After a 3 year break from Kalkan I see a lot of changes. Some restaurants are like a bit of London transported to Kalkan. If I wanted Kings Road, I''d go to Kings Road. There has also been a lot of (poor) new developments and sprawl, and need I add to the English breakfast / football shirt debate?

IMO if you want to wear a football shirt you should be on a pitch kicking a pigs bladder. Most people who wear them for leisure look like complete strangers to any kind of exercise. If we wanted English breakfast we would go to Bodrum or Marmaris. As a 15 year Kalkan veteran, I do feel qualified to comment and ask, what ever happened to keeping it special?

I know some people will call this progress but think on, the discerning types with plenty of disposable income will move on if the essence of Kalkan is lost. Do we really want dumbing down?

Am I the only one who feels this way? Look forward to your comments...

Susan L

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:39:16 PM »
Hi

We are only a few sleeps away from our trip to Kalkan. We are really looking forward to our first view of Kalkan from the new eyesore!

I was on it in February, when it was barely open (in fact it was closed!), had no road surface or crash barriers! I am hoping things have changed!

Em
Em

Offline jinfizzz

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 07:52:28 AM »
We came down the new road on Tuesday and IMHO I think it definitely did have the Wow factor.  In addition to this, we also saw a superb view of Kalamar Bay which we don''t normally see.  Apologies if you can see this from the old road, but I''m usually so busy looking at the Bay as a whole, that I don''t actually look "right".  I think the end part of the road (the Kalkan end) is a bit on the large side, but we don''t actually know what the plans are for it and maybe it will be transformed before our eyes into something lovely.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 09:07:47 PM »
There''s nothing to stop people using the old road if they prefer it to the new one.

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 09:45:43 PM »
such a big road for such a small town, do you think there are plans to expand kalkan

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »
The new road is nothing to do with Kalkan.  It is part of the Mugla/Antalya corridor, a major, national highway, principally intended to facilitate and encourage tourism over a 500 mile area. It is a state funded project. Kalkan just happens to be a place along its route. The new road which passes close by to Kalkan will continue through to Finike, a distance of about 100 kms, before linking up with major roads being built on the approaches to Antalya.

There are plans for Kalkan to expand but these are in no way linked with the new road.

lantana

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »
Hi Lantana,
I''m assuming this new road will go to Kas?
Any ideas if the road from kalkan to kas will be widened?

Offline Queenie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:53:55 AM »
Lantana

What plans are their to expand Kalkan? Do you mean ''proper'' plans through the belediye or just the usual building during the winter??

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 08:24:06 AM »
My OH was talking to an estate agent here who told him the building has barely started in Kalkan!
 He was shown some plans that had come from the Belidier and most of the land here is earmarked for building.
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan-Kas Road

Started by Kalkankiwi on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 06:35:22 PM
by Kalkankiwi
xx
how to get to Kalkan via the new road ????

Started by tasharus on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 08:48:41 AM
by tasharus
xx
new road dalaman to kalkan

Started by fabio on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 07:10:35 PM
by Tatilde
smiley
New road from Kisla to Kalkan

Started by zros on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 08:32:21 AM
by zros

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

my badge

Views: 2482
By: pw
Beautiful Hibiscus