Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: how to get to Kalkan via the new road ????  (Read 2581 times)

Offline tasharus

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
how to get to Kalkan via the new road ????
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »
Hi really looking forward to our first trip to Kalkan in June, have decided to pick up a car form Dalaman then drive to Kalakan to save on transfer costs. Could anyone advise me of the the way using the new road as the EK guide seems to be of the old route.
Thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3516.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: how to get to Kalkan via the new road ????
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »
Its very easy and impossible to go wrong - basically the road continues on past Yesilkoy and turns into the new road and you wouldnt even know that you were on the new road as you HAVE to make an effort to turn off it to go the old road via Yesilkoy...so if you simply follow the way you always used to go..you wont go wrong..

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:50:23 PM »
Felicity as they haven''t been before I would assume they have no idea what''s what or where Yesilkoy etc actually is

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »
Basically, after getting to Fethiye you take the road signposted for Kas and carry on, you will also see the signs for Kalkan which is before Kas (for those that don''t know). When you get to Patara you will see the signs pointing to the right and there is a small central island for cars to stop as they cross from the other direction. Just a little way past this turn off you will see a petrol station on the left, this is your ''marker'' because you will see straight ahead of you the hillside with the large new road carved into it. The new road is very distinctive as it still looks freshly made.

You will see the town sign for Yesilkoy, the old road curves round to the left and goes through this town which is full of greenhouses. This whole area as you come from Patara is set in a wide green valley with the hills in front of you.

I hope this helps you, but don''t worry if you do end up going through Yesilkoy and into Kalkan on the old road, because once you''re through this town you start to rise up through the pine forest which really is a lovely way to arrive. You get the smell of the pine trees and then at the top having gone through the little village of Akbel you come around the bend and Kalkan just opens up in front of you like a beautiful painting. Personally, I think it is a much more scenic route and I love to arrive from this direction. However, if your or your passengers don''t mind, you would be driving on narrow, winding switchback roads for about 5 minutes - but well worth it.

Enjoy the drive and your holiday!  :)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »
Use EK directions to Yesilkoy and then instead of turning left into the village of Yesilkoy continue straight ahead (on the new road) and you will soon be in Kalkan.  Safe driving and have a great holiday.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Resident: No
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
EK directions will be updated later tonight or tomorrow  :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »
The drive from the airport is very straight forward. You follow the Antalya signs. There is one right turn not far from the airport at a point where you have to turn left or right. You continue on the same road, past the Fethiye turnings. Further on there is a right turn at traffic lights and this is the one place you could go wrong as Antalya is signposted both ways. This road is signposted Kas and leads right to Kalkan and as previous posters have said you would have to go out of your way to miss the road.

Most importantly you need to get directions to your accommodation once you get to the traffic lights as you come into Kalkan (the only traffic lights in Kalkan). This is the place most first timers have difficulties if they haven''t been given directions.

Watch for speed Police.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »
Having very recently done this trip more than once, would seriously advise you to

a) as mentioned watch for Traffic Police, they are just getting into the summer mode

b) this is a fast road, various vehicles on the road, from mopeds to tractors, all have their own method of driving, !!

c) if driving at night or dusk/early morning watch out for lack of vehicle lighting, those tractors come at you from nowhere, also the dogs, chickens etc

d) enjoy the journey, can be very interesting

And you are possibly aware there is a Toll Tunnel, you need 3 TL.......................
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »
If you keep you''re speed down to 90kph you won''t be stopped by the speed police
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline tasharus

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »
thanks to all who responded to my thread, feeling more confident now I have an alternative route  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan-Kas Road

Started by Kalkankiwi on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 06:35:22 PM
by Kalkankiwi
xx
new road from dalaman to kalkan

Started by fabio on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 05:42:12 PM
by felicity
thumbdown
New Kalkan road - what an eyesore!

Started by polly on General Discussion

22 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 08:57:36 PM
by Em1
xx
new road dalaman to kalkan

Started by fabio on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 07:10:35 PM
by Tatilde

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Snow at Gombe

Views: 3758
By: Ahsap Man
Enjoying the view