Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What to wear?  (Read 9505 times)

Offline Joe Bloggs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
What to wear?
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
Hello all.

I am heading to Kalkan for the first time in July with my girlfriend and am just wondering if there''s any general etiquette concerning what to wear of an evening.

Usually on holiday I would just go out in shorts and trainers. But there looks to be some really nice places to eat/drink and am worried about looking like a scruff!

Any advice would be welcomed.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1453.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: What to wear?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »
Any clothes acceptable - just as long as you are wearing some..!!   :o :o  You''ll just need to be as cool as you can be...to stay comfortable!!  ;)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Joe Bloggs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
Great stuff. Thank you.  :)  I hate wearing pants and shoes in warm climates!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:46:41 PM »
Hi Joe Bloggs,
on the subject of what to wear make sure your girlfriend only packs flats, small heels or low wedges. Heels over 3 inches will stay in her case all holiday...believe me. I''m a heels kinda girl and I''ve tried to wear heels in Kalkan with zero success..and almost at the risk of injury to other pedestrians
:laugh: :laugh:
I''d be interested to know if anyone has mastered the art of heels and Kalkan...or do I need to start a new thread for that? ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »
Heels are a definate no no...in my opinion!  :)
Even flat flimsy sandals with little straps can''t last out the hols without breaking or tripping over them.

As for clothing...Mr B has a decent pair of shorts and t-shirts for evening, i tend to wear a very thin skirt and a vest top.
When we have been in June it can be a little humid at night, even when there is a breeze its a warm one.
On one occassion it got a little chilly in the breeze on a rooftop restaurant in the evening, and the waiters came out with pashminas for everyone...a lovely touch!  ;D
(P.s..thats the only occassion i have known it to be chilly in three years of visiting in June...once back in the street it was back to the warm breeze)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 07:31:15 PM »
In my experience, heels are an absolute no no. Even managed to sing ungracefully to the ground negotiating one of the inclines wearing completely flat sandals  :-[ the shame of being picked up by several waiters and dusted down while OH doubled up laughing in a corner  ::)

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:43:50 PM »
As well as heels being a no-no, so are flip-flops or any shoe that is held on with a thing between your first two toes - the pressure that is bought to bear when you are walking down those hills is unbearable. 

And some peeps in Kalkan are very well dressed. I''ve seen men in linen jackets with smart shoes & trousers and women in very smart dresses. But there are also loads of peeps in much more casual attire. I tend to wear slightly smarter trousers & a top for the evening.

I think the only thing I''ve never seen in the evenings are what my son calls ''wife beater'' t shits on men (the sleeveless vests). Anything goes & I usually manae with a 12 - 14kilo suitcase for a fortnight!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Resident: No
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 07:58:21 PM »

I think the only thing I''''ve never seen in the evenings are what my son calls ''''wife beater'''' t shits on men (the sleeveless vests). Anything goes & I usually manae with a 12 - 14kilo suitcase for a fortnight!

Football shirts are pretty rare too. Fortunately.

Not that I hate football... far from it.. but in Kalkan?  NO!!!!!!

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 05:16:59 AM »
Sally, I would disagree on the flip flops-in the summer I only wear flip flops. More importantly I would say make sure the shoes have a grip as the ones with completely flat bottoms can be lethal :o

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:51:12 AM »
oh dear sally!! i think you missed out a very important "R" in your post...i wear uniform a lot of the time so when in Kalkan it''s flipen flopen and shorts.... ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »
Definitely need a bit of grip for the shiny road opposite Utopia ( or is it only after I''ve been in Utopia?)

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 12:28:52 PM »
How pretentious - just wear what you like,  I wear sleeveless tees but only beat the wife on special occasions.
My son wears football shirts - how dare he? but hey ho the youth of today.
I will check the Kalkan dress code before I leave to see if I am allowed in !

Offline Joe Bloggs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 12:37:07 PM »
I have a Man Utd tattoo that covers the whole of my back and am now slightly worried how this will go down  ;)

Thank you all for the advice much appreciated

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
no problemo joe....i have tattoos as  many people do ..it doesn''t mean i am an evil person who beats his wife and eats children...as for footy shirts? i have been in Kalkan for world cups and european championships and loads of people wore shirts ..you will also see some of the young teen boys in english footy tops...just be yourself and have a great time amongst nice people ;)

Offline Joe Bloggs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
Hey, sorry i was joking about the tattoo! Although i do beat my girlfriend and eat children when the mood takes me  ;)

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
Joe Bloggs
Probably go down as easily as you lot in Moscow! LOL
Come on you Blues!
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »
hiya j.b. I will be in kalkan 19 may,come the wed I will sat in a bar with my man u shirt on ,if some people dont like me wearing the shirt -tough ! com on u reds ! >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D P.S. A friend of mine is in the local jandarme,a pretty good rank,he wants a utd shirt,I have got him one,hope no one tells him they dont like him wearing a "football shirt.  com on u reds !!!!!!!!!!        neil.
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline EK Moderator

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »
EnjoyKalkan - Topic Split
Reason: Cross Posting

The posts relevant to meeting for the match have been moved to the EK Network / Member Meet Up Section.
If this was your post and you feel it should not have been removed please email the EnjoyKalkan Team.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
hiya j.b. I will be in kalkan 19 may,come the wed I will sat in a bar with my man u shirt on ,if some people dont like me wearing the shirt -tough ! com on u reds ! >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D P.S. A friend of mine is in the local jandarme,a pretty good rank,he wants a utd shirt,I have got him one,hope no one tells him they dont like him wearing a "football shirt.  com on u reds !!!!!!!!!!        neil.

Blimey... a Man United fan who''s not from Surrey or London!!   :o

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 08:20:34 PM »
Well I can do flip flops in Kalkan - but agree with the other posters - leather/smooth bottom flip flops can be lethal. I insist in wearing flimsy and fancy versions of flip flops and hold onto my BH for dear life. I''ve also managed wedges - although they are rubber bottom wedges my BH reuses to let me hold on to him when I wear them - hence if you see a woman walking like Dick Emery during June it will probably be me in my wedges  ;D ;D
My BH wears shorts and linen shirts/t-shirts in the evening - occasionally long linen trousers, but anything goes. Wear what you feel comfortable and cool in - and clothes are so beautifully made and cheap in Kalkan you can buy if you feel out of place  8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Evening Wear

Started by Leigh on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 01:39:55 PM
by chrissy1
xx
Ditching the Crocs, but what to wear at the beach?

Started by Rachey on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

18 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 08:52:33 PM
by Christina

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Istanbul 2010

Views: 3481
By: friends
New Logo