Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of Season 2015...2016  (Read 53930 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Out of Season 2015...2016
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »
Now we have the power back which went off approx 09.30hrs this morning for maintenence, fortunately it wasn't off for as long as first stated,  just about 4 hrs,  can update what is happening about the town.

Work is still progressing re the new harbour building, there are now what looks like 3 square concrete boxes with flat roof tops, there is some more concrete construction above each 'box'  but not sure what, time will tell or someone with more knowledge. They are cladding the 'boxes' in some very nice looking stone work, should look very smart when completed.

The building that was demolished near Isos has now the metal work laid ready for the concrete foundations, it looks rather a large site. Also noticed the doors open at the old Kalkan Han with a workman painting the outside woodwork, so perhaps it's going to used again after very many years. The town does appear so much quieter so far with regard building/refurbishing, not even a great deal of machinery noise although some areas in the Kalamar region seem to be busy.   

The building next to Yali is growing higher, basement type floor, first floor & pillars for 2nd floor. Not being very knowledgeable about building construction so my descriptions may not be very helpful.

The weather is bright, dry & sunny but certainly getting cooler temperatures now, we got the long awaited & needed rain the other week but it only lasted a short time, the plants certainly have perked up.

There are still a few restaurants remaining open which is good just hope it's worth their while. 

Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:50 PM »
Fab update DRBD thanks. I can't wait to be back in April to see how everything is progressing. The weather is rotten here, storm Desmond is certainly making himself known.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »
Ktln have just published some photos so you can better idea of the buildings.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »
I'm sure that once the restaurants put the usual individual tasteful décor that most of the harbour has it will look magnifique! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »
Am sure BL that you are correct.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »
Visited the harbour today, the weather is still fantastic although we have had a couple of chilly days recently, cloudy with a penetrating chilll.  Sadly for us the 2 tea gardens overlooking the beach have been closed by the Belediye  so no cuppas there, we were told it was to do with the new development. The work on the renovation of the, old house is really looking good, slow work but tasteful,  chatting to a very interesting man working there they hope to be finished this year weather permitting. The new harbour area is looking a mess but work in is still very much in progress,  still building the walls & doing the stone cladding, the inside of the units are taking shape From a friend who is a very interested party, he thinks things will be up & running for the 2016 season.

The rest of the town was very quiet, not much happening on the site by Isos, it's very deep & the supports there for concrete.  Building work appearing now in various areas, extentions etc but still not as previous years thank goodness. The site next to Yali is still going strong so perhaps it will be finished into the new year.

The Christmas atmosphere has reached a couple of the restaurants open on the harbour, large inflatable Santa's,  Christmas trees, lights etc. Migros & Carrefores have small Christmas sections in store.   

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 03:50:19 PM »
Still not a great deal tp report at this time, the last 2-3 days have been rather wet, gentle rain much needed with some reall loud thunder with spectacular lightning, no wind though thankfully, certainly much cooler . Today we saw the return of the sunshine which was good as the rain had brought down the leaves from the trees so had a chance of a clear up.  The new building beside Yali seems to have stopped growing upward, the bricks are being laid now so it's all systems go there.  They were still doing the stone cladding on the units down at the harbour but you can now see the upper terraces taking shape.
It always seems strange walking about Kalkan at this time of year after watching the news about the build up towards christmas in the UK, non of that crazy rushing about etc here. Did get our turkey on Thursday though, we will have in the NY.  There are a few more Christmas trees up in some places, Lime are open & have theirs all decorated. It is still very quiet here but perhaps a few more visitors will be arriving for their Kalkan festive break, the weather forecast looks rather promising. 

One sad to report is that there have been a few break in recently into empty properties, I would suggest that those  of you have property get their management people to do some more checks if you haven't already done so, unfortunately they are not always checking as some may think.
Have a good christmas.........

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »
Thanks for keeping us updated, DRBD...even when there isn't much to report, its still good to hear from you about building work progress - particularly at the harbour. I saw some photos yesterday and it looks as though the cladding has come on a pace on new units...they looked very much in keeping with the Kalkan we know and love. Happy days! Enjoy your turkey in Turkey ;D ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2015, 10:28:02 AM »
The sun is still shining & it's very warm here.  Went over the thr Thursday market this morning & saw some visitors newly arrived wearing summer dresses , we needless to say have got jumpers on albeit light ones, so perhaps there will be a few going back with sun tans. It was good to see more faces about some we know some new.

On the way to Fethiye the other day  there was snow on some of the mountain tops but not much, just a smattering really..

For those in the UK who may be suffering from the terrible wet weather, we are thinking of you, flooding is so devastating, we hope you can enjoy your Christmas one way or another.

On a sadder note we send our condolences to the family & friends of Diane Lewis who we didn't know personally, only to see about when she was here, as she was a very nearby neighbour who we saw just briefly after she arrived last week.  Very sad & tragic.

Enjoy your Christmas.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »
For those of you affected by the terrible wet weather & flooding  & reading/ hearing the news thats seems to be almost the whole of the UK, really do hope you get some respite soon, what an awful time.

Still not a great deal to report re Kalkan, the weather is still dry, sunny & bright we definitely have a chill factor now, -2 this morning with a bitter wind, it seems the cold weather is hitting Turkey with heavy snow falls forecast for Istanbul & other areas. So after having a very fabulous early winter looks like we are in for cold & wet, that will upset the builders. The building next to Yali has come on in leaps & bounds, still not sure who is going to be there as every day the rumours change so as far as we are concerned its wait & see.  Haven't been down to the harbour recently, we miss the tea gardens to sit in & watch the bay. Will go tomorrow all being well. Still very quiet here. 

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »
Thanks DRBD, it's good of you to keep us up to date and I'm hanging on to every snippet. It will be interesting to see what happens with the building next to Yali. Enjoy your New Years Eve in Kalkan and for everyone who is there right now -  I sure wish I was.  :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2015, 12:46:47 PM »
Thanks for the update...wonder what that is going to be next door to yali? must admit I thought it strange that Migros would move such a short distance to a spot with less room? hope it stays put as I dive into the frozen section for a loiter after the market for a cool down!  things are pretty windy here but seems to be easing not as bad as ooop "t" north where I feel really sorry for them..my missing 6 fence panels and posts seem pretty insignificant when you see floods and damage on telly! more bad news the new years honours list is out and Mrs Queen seems to have forgotten me again? ::)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »
Loitering in Migros BL ......... well really you know how to live😰😰😰😰.  beleive you me you wouldn't want loiter here today anywhere except around a fire.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2016, 03:43:19 PM »
The New Year swimmers braved the icy wind this lunch time to take their swim, some in fancy dress, all looking bright after the new year celebrations, it really was a lovely sunny morning but oh that chill. The workmen working on the new harbour buildings were more than amused to see what was going on, you could almost read their minds😲😲😲  The new units look really smart wouldn't be surprised to see them finished & ready for the installing of the fittings & fixtures very soon.  Whilst walking down to the harbour saw some very large & long icicles hangs from a building. The renovation of the old house is coming on, traditional workmanship being done. 
A slow walk up up towards home through the old town, very few people about which was unusual bearing in mind its a bank holiday but we did come across some Turkish visitors having  a New Year break in Kalkan. It was a lovely walk but very pleased to get home in the warm.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:40:41 AM by DRBD »

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
Another great update DRBD. Thank you.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2016, 06:42:40 AM »
Sunshine but -4 this morning maybe colder up on the mountainside but our pool is iced over, won't try the skating though. Very watery sky.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2016, 07:35:54 AM »
This morning is dark & bleak, the wind has been blowing up since last evening & the rain started during the night. & it's cold. So think it will be a mopping up day which has started already. Can't see across the bay for the rain, at the moment, a bit of electric storm about, think we have come to the end of our fabulous   early winter. Water coming through a couple of doors & windows mainly due to the way the wind is blowing, which in this sort of weather is the norm in our house, olds towels & mops on standby. The next thing possibly the electric will go off due to the storm but really hope not, thank goodness for the gas hob & wood burner.

Just off to check & unblock the outside drains from all the leaves & debris blown about, plenty of it too, even though OH spent all morning yesterday doing just that with a bonfire. Well at least it will clear the dust &  muck away😈😈😈..

Think it may be a DVD day around the fire. ☔☔⚡⚡💧💧

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »
Hi DRBD,

Thanks very much for the continuing fab updates.It sounds  a bit wet now....a " batten down the hatches " kind of day. Lets hope the sunshine returns and your generally mild and sunny winter returns very soon............no such luck here at the moment,although wet,it is actually still very mild here in Worcestershire

Happy new year to you and your family.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
Thank you, Mayday1.

Well the sun did make an appearance & it got very warm just long enough to start drying the terraces out & 2 very soggy bath towels, managed a bit of a clear up outside, those leaves get everywhere. Had a quick walk into town to do a couple errands, water gushing towards the harbour as you can all imagine, think everone else had the same idea, had forgotten it's the first day banks etc opened after the NY.  It all seems a while ago now. Back in time before the rain started again gentle, so far but back to dark skies. Needless to say the bay is looking a muddy colour & the mountain is shrouded in cloud. All that said the rain is needed as it's been a very dry few months.

Understand from family & friends that the UK is soggy all over now just hope there is some release for those who have been flooded.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »
Having replied & given an update on the wrong topic, I will now give one in the right place😇😇

Have had a walk down to the beach & harbour this morning, very cloudy but warm. Went through the old town where the new building along from Isos is still under construction. Nothing happening at the Kalkan Han, just the lower outside windows & doors painted nothing else seems to be happening. The new Old Town Tea rooms/ Hotel which is new for this season is being worked on, that is situated behind the Botanic gardens.  Didn't see much activity at all in this area.  Walked down the narrow path by the side of the water gully, such a shame its not being looked after, infact in places a mess & dangerous.

The old house being renovated into a hotel is really looking good, as previously stated  the workmanship is fantastic &  being done in the traditional way.  The cement pumper was there though this morning.

The sea was calm after the last few dayes, no muddy areas, but searched for seals, sadly no sightings.

Work on the new restaurants has come along way in the last week, not sure everone is going to be impressed with the units now as they have built glass fronts onto the frontage, these then open out onto small decking areas which we think look smart. The glass fronts will look better than the awnings that are being used by many at the moment, they have folding  blinds on the tops which are built in.  From the front decking areas to the side,  there are steps up to the upper terraces. It is looking at this time all very modern but am sure once there are plants/ shrubs planted in what look like designated areas it will soften the look, with the new stone work its looks rather bright & a bit glary at the moment. As I havent  clue how to put photos on here unable to show you, just hope my description isn't too much of a muddle.

Not too much work being done on the boats this morning, nice to see & have a chat with some of the boat owner, still no sighting of the seal.

Having walked back up through the very,very quiet town, time for a cuppa, rain has held off but the cloud is moving down onto the mountain.

Did speak to one of the interested parties at the building site next to Yali, asked what/who was going in there, got a knowing smile but no answer, so as previously said we will wait & see.   Could be they don't know yet  themselves either😉😉😉😉😉.

There is rather a lot of understandable gloom from some locals re the tourist industry for this year especially after yesterdays incident in Istanbul, think perhaps the seriousness of it all is hitting home a bit more. Sometimes you get the feeling from some, that because we are so far away it wont affect places like Kalkan.

On a brighter note, the shedding of the leaves here from the trees seems to be nearly over, perhaps the next windy day will see the last on our nearby trees blown down, then another fire to get rid of them. It really is quite mucky & messy in places with builders rubbish,  general rubbish eg plastic bottles/wrappers etc  together with the leaves, have to watch your footing.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Villa owners, are you getting many bookings for 2015 season

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

37 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
13-20 April 2015

Started by pw on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
by pw
xx
2015 Tax Return

Started by Wendy on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 10:36:17 PM
by Wendy
xx
The end of the summer......2015

Started by DRBD on Weather

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 08:46:37 PM
by DRBD

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal