Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!  (Read 66682 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »
Yes what a perfect day you had, sounds fabulous, especially being Father's Day, glad you all had such a lovely time, and thank you for sharing it with us.  :D

J

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:46 PM »
I would have loved to have been there for that Father's Day meal cooked by Kazim.   It sounded amazing and reading about it made me very hungry.

Thank you for letting us all know about the fizz.   Must definitely try it in September.  Sometimes some fizz just hits the spot, especially when it is hot - or any time really......

I am poised every morning at my computer waiting to hear the next installment of the Antlers in Kalkan.

Carry on enjoying your holiday - weather looks set to be good now.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 05:27:57 AM »
Bit of a treat today as I’m ringing the changes and writing this from the Master Bedroom Balcony, as the terraces get refreshed down below! I know some of you have to get off to work, so thought I had better get in early. (Actually, it was the dogs that woke me up, lol!)
Just as I reflected upon how marvellous Sunday 21st June had been, along came Monday 22nd. A really perfect day for me, in Kalkan.

No Monday morning blues, no A1M/M62/M18/M180/M181 commute to the paradise of Scunthorpe. No “Welcome To North Lincolnshire” sign over the River Trent bridge.

No, on this Monday, just a hangover and some amazing memories started my day, up on The Roof terrace which has become my home, with a pot of tea and a packet of paracetemol, looking out over a mirror-like sea.

One by one my family joined me and after sending my blog, I boiled a pan of eggs downstairs, brought them to the roof and we tucked in to these delicious things with their dark orange yolks, with some fresh bread. And another pot of tea.
The vote was for a day around Yellow Villa – but Adem’s for lunch. Yeah, I could buy into that.

I called Adem and asked if he could collect us at 1pm – oh, and by the way, if it was OK, Mrs A and I would like Fish & Chips…..?

The rest of the morning was by the pool, with the signature theme for Yellow Villa on YouTube now downloaded onto my iPhone, playing out across the olive grove from my new, Father’s Day, Bluetooth toy. So pleased we have no neighbours, or else I would be in trouble. I even put it on “repeat” as Rick laughed out loud.

Missing their two gorgeous American Rag Dolls at home, Bex went to see the cats over in the garden of The Shack opposite. There they all were, all 4 of the tiny kittens and their mum and dad, in the dappled sunshine outside of their pile of rubbish home. She gave them some water and they lapped it up and contacted KAPSA to let them know they were there and what to do. Much more KAPSA correspondence throughout the day as tears of joy fell from Bex’s eyes.

Adem was early and it was great to see him again after almost 2 years. We chatted up on the The Roof whilst the others grabbed their clothes, catching up on the months gone by. He made me laugh when I explained how the only negative this holiday, was that we had all been slaughtered by mosquitos, even though we had done the usual things. Not only was Rick bitten on his forehead but Oli had been got where no man needs to be got – although, for me, being well past 50, a little extra swelling in that area could be a bonus these days, despite the discomfort!  Adem laughed and said “Naughty Mozzie!”.  I felt slightly ashamed, as after all, it is Ramadam, and I was having such impure thoughts. Naughty Antler.

Oh! The ride to Adem’s and we get to see that stunning view and the thoughts that we had so many days ahead of us to Enjoy Kalkan…..I was like a kid on a school outing. Bliss.

Mrs Adem came out to see us as we stepped from the mini bus and after lots of hugs, there was our table for 8, all set on the lower terrace, just as we had left it in 2013.

Being a creature of habit, I had to have the fried liver to start, tiny cubes of liver lifted with a hint of chilli with a parsley and very thin onion salad on the side. (Sorry to bore you with repeating the same things here!) Then followed the Fish & Chips and bowl of the freshest salad. A simple fillet of white fish, lightly floured and fried, homemade chips like mum makes - and salad. How can anything so simple be so good?

One photo after another followed and as the Majestic Rose emptied, Mrs A and I took our glasses up to Table One and reminisced in the fierce heat of the early afternoon. Down below, in the scratched out vegetable patch, Adem was bringing on runner beans, peppers, honey dew melon and loads of herbs; all young plants, nicely watered. I reflected back on our day out with Adem a few years ago to Gombe, when he marvelled at the lush crops; “Where there is water, there is money,” he said.

Lilly the goat was a real darling and only 4 weeks or so old. She skipped around the place after Adem and it was rather unfair of me to ask would she be enjoyed at Easter or Christmas? Told to behave, we finished our wine, loads more hugs and as we climbed back into the minivan, Adem picked us one handful after another from his over laden apricot tree, before running up into the back, returning with a handful of fresh lemons. Surely, there was no more to give.

Being a complete freak, I know, I asked Adem to drop me back at The Kitchen Shop next to Carrefour. Mrs A and Tom came with me to witness me in my element. What an amazing place it is; everything you could wish for on the culinary front and more. With 8 of us enjoying Beth’s favourite Weight Watchers “no sins” Oven Chips (how they reach that conclusion, I fail to understand!) I wanted a large non-stick tray so I could cook on two layers in the oven. And there it was, this gorgeous, non-stick, round, with a 1.5inch up-stand, just waiting to be bought. I even had a choice of 3 or 4 sizes, Lovely Kitchen Man explained. Mrs A looked at me in the familiar way, best summed up by “you’re really weird”.

Like a cat that had had the cream, I skipped along to Yussuf and we carried a few kilo packs of chicken and kofte back to our Yellow Villa home. Sorted for two or three days.

The holiday could not really begin until Oli and I had done one more thing. I rang Mehmet and he said one come now, one in half an hour. So, it was a swim for me as Oli dropped down the hill to have his hair cut, with me joining him as he got out of the chair half an hour later. “Everything, please, Mehmet!” and he laughed at my request.

Haircut, shave, and the knots in my neck kicked from side to side, it was the best TL35 you can spend on this earth. Even better than my oven tray.

Rick was the chef in charge of dinner. There, on the roof terrace, he lit the coals and an hour or so later, as the sun was set, it was bbq’d kofte, cagic, salad and fresh bread, looking out over the whole of Kalkan with a vodka coke and squeeze of fresh lemon -  the lemon having been picked from a tree a few hours earlier, by one of the nicest people on this earth.

So ended another Perfect Day.

Antler
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:04:54 AM by antler »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 05:59:48 AM »
Antler, another wonderful report.  This is what blogging is all about for me....the days when you do nothing in particular, but it is filled with such joy.  Kalkan and its people pull the magic out of the hat, and even make buying a baking tray, some chicken and having your hair cut worth sharing with friends....watch out....the word is coming....AWESOME!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 06:12:46 AM »
Lol, Haybo!  You are forgiven for using that over-played word on this occasion!  You are here now?  Pop in for a coffee ?!) if you pass. I'm going nowhere today!

I've also found this really nice cider (that I never drink!) at TL6.99 in the Beer & Wine Shop. Sevilen Cider. 5%. Need a second opinion - why not yours?!

Cheers

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 10:52:09 AM »
Wow pass me the suntan lotion I'm on Antlers terrace savouring every moment. Back at our guardian angels Adems loving sitting on his terrace and enjoying the food cooked by Mrs Adem. Remembering the times when his children were little and they sat giggling in the back of the car as Adem drove us home.
Really were sat on the front of our narrow boat GoodBoy 3 in Salhouse dock Liverpool. We're moored opposite the Titanic and the Yellow Submarine holiday lets in the harbour. Children in blue uniforms are queuing to go on the wheel squealing and laughing and enjoying their day out.
Me I'm dreaming of Kalkan. Have booked our holiday for next year three whole weeks in September can't wait.
This year GoodBoy is taking us round the delights of Lancashire some not so delightful but Liverpool has been renovated beautifully I so hope Kalkan will be just as beautifully looked after.
Thankyou for taking me back to Kalkan it was sheer bliss.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
Wow, the Antlers do seem to be enjoying themselves, despite the mozzies.   I have seen the "mozzie men" earlier in June even lifting drain covers and attempting to kill them, but they are determined creeters.

Good to hear about Lily the goat.   We saw her when she was only two weeks old, clearly thinking Adem was her mummy and following him for her bottle.   I hope we have a good photo of her, must check the camera.  We also always have to have the fried liver when we go to Adem's.   Makes my mouth water just thinking of the food.   

Must try that cider in September, I really enjoy it in England but never noticed it in Kalkan.

Looking forward to the next instalment.   I think your title for this year's blog "Kalkan:  I don't like it - no I love it!" was inspired.   Sums up what so many of us think.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »
Antler, please stop your wonderful early morning blogs! I've been late for work both days this week as feel compelled to check to see what you and the other antlers have been getting up to!
My efficiency levels are dropping daily.......however my wellbeing is improved as getting a daily Kalkan fix!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »
No Antler, please DON'T stop.   Babs, would you like us all to come up with reasons (excuses) why you are currently running late for work?  e.g. "one of the tortoises peed on me so I had to change my skirt".   Of course you will probably only get away with that one if you actually have a family of tortoises...................  But we could come up with others..........

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »
Antler - for lovers of great food, and bon viveurs such as yourselves - I have a recommendation for you. Have you considered having a wonderful day or evening up in Uzumlu at Villa Cennet Bahcesi (Paradise Garden) - where fabulous hosts Debbie and her husband Ramazan will give you an experience to remember? A much loved haunt and regular dining treat for Kalkan ex-pats during the winter months, Debbie, a professional cook, will work with you to create and serve a wonderful three course meal on her huge poolside terrace up in the mountains, overlooking Patara beach. Food ranges from traditional Turkish to English comfort food. I understand they will also prepare BBQ feasts during the evening as you watch the stunning Patara sunset, and you also have full use of the pool facilities. Cost is very reasonable, and you can take your own tipples of choice which keeps the cost down even more. Debbie is also able to cater for dinners and parties at private houses. I have stayed overnight in her beautiful villa, helped in the kitchen, and accompanied her on food shopping trips in town - she is Bulent the butcher's best customer. Her food is simply the best I have ever eaten, and people always say 'it has been made with love'. If you find yourself in the Blue Turtle, many of the ex-pats there will happily endorse this recommendation. I understand that catering up in Uzumlu is only available up until the end of July, after which the villa is rented out to guests.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Villa-Cennet-Bahcesi/481456058572979

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:11 PM »
Another wonderful report, antler. Love that shop, it really is a treasure trove of kitchen heaven....but you do need maybe a bit of professional help with that addiction of yours.
Please keep them coming - l know you will. Looking forward to the next instalment  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2015, 06:45:23 PM »
Sorry Antler, Sounds like you were up early to accommodate those of us going to work, but as I was already running 10 minutes late I had to postpone my Kalkan fix till now. Any later and trying to get parked in the work's car park is like getting into a supermarket car park at Christmas!

Sounds like you are having an amazing time and a well deserved break from the usual commute/work routine
Have never been to Adems, but maybe this year…..I'll put it on the list with the other "to do this year" list.

I too am a lover of the sin free chips, so whereas other people smuggle bacon in their cases I always had "Fry Light! Let me know if you need back up supplies. I could just about  squeeze that in my case but don't think I could manage  another baking tray or such like  ;D  :D
Hope you have had another great day?

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »
I wish i was Antler....37 sleeps to go.......!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
OH. wants to know where the beer and wine shop is....... Partial to a drop of cider! 

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2015, 07:23:52 PM »
Yali wine/beer shop is on the main roundabout in between Bulent the butcher and Brave Tours/Oz Adana. Good range of beers and ciders.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
OH. wants to know where the beer and wine shop is....... Partial to a drop of cider! 

I think Antlers using the shop next door to Bezirgans Bar...they also own a taxi

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »
How were the chicks up at Adem's? They were tiny when we were there, the nasturtiums were just coming into flower & sweet peas we gave him last year were all growing nicely. The area must be a blaze of colour at this time of year. I did say you can use nasturtium leaves & flowers in salads but not sure he believed me.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2015, 09:45:32 PM »
This sounds great, something we will def do.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 05:16:49 AM »
Day 4/17 was a delight purely because it was a day of nothingness. Or was it?

It’s always around this time on my holidays that I make the leap from a stressed out, angry Purchasing guy, into a normal human being once more. My switched off feeling gets switched on and I begin, finally to relax. And that is exactly what Day 4/17 was all about. I wanted for nothing and was going nowhere (although I wouldn’t have minded popping along to the kitchen shop, in case I might have missed something the day before).

Up on The Roof, after posting my blog on my own balcony a level below, the smell of onions and peppers wafted up the stairs. Like father, like son, Oli was there in the kitchen preparing his menenem; and it smelled absolutely lovely. Starving from a 7am run down to the harbour and back with Rick, he was going to have a feast; and he was going to share it with his Dad, before Rick finished it off. 

Up there on My Roof, I dipped the freshest bread that is so hard to cut due to its softness, into the red juices of my morning feast. Paradise. And I hadn’t even lifted a finger.

The maid came to refresh the villa and she worked so hard, bless her, stripping all the beds. I tried to communicate with her but we struggled beyond “hello”, then managed to find a “Thank You” as I slipped some notes into her delicate hands.

Realising we had dipped too much bread into the menenem, I popped down to the little supermarket, just along from a shop called Simply Chic – which apparently sells handbags!! It’s a tiny little supermarket that is packed full of everything. It took me 5 minutes to explain I wanted some fuel to light a bbq. To get there, I passed through wanting a bbq, wanting charcoal, wanting matches, wanting wood until eventually Nice Tall Guy went outside somewhere and came back in a few minutes later with a bottle of what looked like Fairy Liquid with a picture of flames on the front. We got there and we enjoyed the moment. I felt exhausted.

Bread, milk and lighter fuel, I was a spent man and ambled back up the hill to Yellow Villa.

Bex was sat on the wall of The Shack, watching the mother clean her tiny kittens in dappled shade under the tree. Mom is to be neutered on 29th June and returned to her litter that same day. KAPSA were keeping Bex informed and I know it will break her heart when she leaves – and I won’t be that far behind.

But it’s a bit like arriving to throngs of begging Indians in Mumbai. It’s not our problem to solve; we can only treat it with respect as we are passing by. I can do the proper thing and give KAPSA some money. Enough said.

Back up on the roof, the sound of laughter ceased from the pool below as The Young Ones spruced themselves up for lunch at Fenner. Mrs A and I were invited, but how could anything compare with a few hours of total solitude up there on The Roof. We wished them a happy time, all the same.

Still not ready to sit out in the scorching sun, I enjoyed the breeze under the canopy and  a couple of long ciders over a large handful of ice. It was perfect and I dozed with my feet up on the roof terrace wall.

Lunch for us both was a simple affair;  a fresh loaf, a tub of the creamiest  Ekici Krem Peynir,  some cucumbers, ONE radish! And tiny vine tomatoes sweeter than a bowl of sugar. Oh, and a couple of glasses of chilled Sauvignon Blanc, left over from our Kazim Banquet the other day.

There must be so many people who would despair at the thought of such a boring lunch, being given the chance to go to Fenner or elsewhere. But eating out professionally a lot of the time at home like I do, you have to do that to know what it is like to really WANT just a cheese sandwich. Today was to be my cheese sandwich day, enjoyed in a gorgeous Turkish home.

But I was fascinated to hear how they had enjoyed their time when The Young Ones returned a few hours later.  Jo and Rick confirmed their meze was on a par with Adem’s and Oli had what he always has, he said, Saffron Chicken, with the equivalent of what looked like two diced chicken breasts around a mound of rice, with mushrooms and onions in a creamy saffron sauce. Sounded like paradise for something like TL26. They said Fenner was quiet, maybe just 4 or 5 tables and how the devastation was such a shock to them on this, their first look down there.

Some of them came home via a spell on the town beach and some via a few drinks in Akin. Rick returned from the Pharmacy, with supplies for his severest mozzie bites, some now red raw and on fire.

My feet remained there, up on the wall.

Mr & Mrs Burnley Whatsapp’d on their day out to Sakikent, saying they would pop in later to say hello after dinner. A lovely couple we met in Dubai some years ago, realising we were like minded bloggers and the friendship has remained there ever since - and now sharing the Kalkan bug.

Still my feet remained there on the wall.

I dozed for even longer in the late afternoon sun, only managing a swim to wake myself up as the sun slid down behind the hill over Kalamar Bay.

Showered, spruced up, and banned from the kitchen, we enjoyed a cocktail on The Roof as the smell of spices wafted up from down below.

Jo & Rick were preparing what has become one of their favourite curries; Chicken Balti. Not any ordinary Chicken Balti, but one from one of those healthy cook books, high on peppers, coriander and fresh lime. Bursting with an array of spices it’s not heavy with oil and onions, but as light as a feather and leaves your taste buds wanting more. They apologised for their rice looking more like a rice pudding, but the home made raita made up for any perceived failings they felt they may have had.

It was a simple, gorgeous meal and the perfect end to my Cheese Sandwich Day.

Antler.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:57:24 AM by antler »

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 06:26:17 AM »
Thank you for your comments - and suggestion, Christina, which sounds lovely.

The Beer & Wine shop I used is almost opposite the Taxi Rank, tucked away, squeezed in between some other shops. You kind of go down into it.

It's a gorgeous morning, has the feel of being a very hot day and there is little breeze right now.

But it's perfect up here on The Roof, of course!!!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I LOVE KALKAN

Started by JacquiB on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 09:02:20 PM
by Kefgirl
cheesy
Hi, I am new to site, but not to Kalkan (5 times) Love it!!!!!

Started by Mandee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Everything I love about Kalkan encapulated in one photo!!

Started by goonernumber1 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 05:05:06 PM
by Mrs B
xx
Lets go back to basics...what do you love about Kalkan?

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
by tortoise lady

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal