Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!  (Read 66733 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2015, 05:38:18 AM »
Thursday 25th, Day 6/17 and Market day.

Yellow Villa seemed to come alive a bit earlier today, mainly due to Oli & Beth preparing for their trip up to The Market and in to town.

It was Mrs A’s and my intention to do the same (probably) once we had finished enjoying our very relaxed breakfast up here on The Roof. Breakfasts are now stretching out to become more like a 90m minute affair as we gradually get joined by The Young Ones in our daily routine. Eating a fruit yogurt with one hand, shaving with the other while dreading the 51 mile commute, is not for Kalkan. These breakfasts are special.

By midday it was obvious that, for the other 6 of us, The Market was not going to happen – and so what? Oli & Beth returned with some sexy looking bags containing some very smart leather goods from a shop in town. The market had done nothing for them, they had got extremely hassled and left. But retail therapy down in town was a whole different affair. Proudly showing off his leather wallet, passport holder and other bits and bobs, it would have been inappropriate for me to have mentioned the words “T K Maxx?”, if not darn’ right cruel.

Really yearning to create something wonderful in the kitchen (after all, the last major cooking session had been 3 or 4 days ago), I was feeling deprived. Outnumbered, I called for one big or two small taxis to take us to our unanimous choice of Café Vita for lunch.

At Vita, we virtually had the place to ourselves at 13:30 and after sometime, the missing person, famous Mustafa, appeared once the kids had posted on FB “we are here – where are you?!”

He had been tracking our family holiday (he must be the most photographed person on FB, globally?) and we apologised for not making it to see him sooner.

Some Long Island Iced Teas as we went through the normal debate regarding a starter, yes or no? For three of us, the menu was not required for the mains. It would be what we never stop talking about, Shrimp Casserole and large plates of Vita’s world class, homemade chips. Every time, no option.

It took less time for the food to be prepared than it did for the whole group to agree on what to have. My shrimp casserole seemed even better than I could ever remember and as I dunked these red hot chips, all perfectly golden brown, into the cheesy mushroom sauce, I thought, I really should not be eating this. Oh yes, I really should.
We didn’t linger too long, as the day was slipping by too quickly. I rang Nice Taxi Man Mahmut, his number now firmly plugged into my mobile and asked him to come and fetch us quickly, one cab to Yellow Villa, one to The Market.

We only needed to go as far as the market entrance, just to the watch stall on the right hand side as you go in. Hugs and handshakes and friendly banter while Mrs A explained the work she needed doing to repair the watch she had bought there previously. One of her firm favourites, it needed a new glass. Lovely Watch Lady said she would send it off and if the supplier had one, they could do it and could we come back next week? Of course we could!

While Mrs A was sorting that, I was sorting me. In less time than it takes to say “But you don’t need another watch!”  I was the proud owner of another watch. Off the back row, a nice Rolex with titanium coloured case and leather strap with coordinating silver stitching.  Then I got:  “And what about the other 4 you have from here in your bedside drawer?” as if that had anything at all to do with it. See?  You should have let me cook lunch. Rant over.

We popped into Yali to buy mozzie killers – the sonic type. Trying to explain to the Lovely Lady Assistant that I wanted electric, yes, but not liquid, I wanted  “sonic”. How do you explain with your hands what sonic is?  She watched my hands waving around and trying to read my lips   s o n i c  I eventually gave up, after opening virtually every box on the shelf.  K4E, where did I go wrong?

Yussuf winked as we entered the butchers and quickly came out from the back with a whole fillet ordered the night before. 1.69 kilos of the beast – a vegan’s nightmare and Antler’s dream. Spot on. He asked how much of it I wanted trimmed and I pointed this out around this gorgeous slab of meat. With a large packet of chicken thrown into the bag, shopping over.

We popped across to Kaya to see The Lads regarding their excursion and enjoyed a complementary drink as The Magician explained the details. Sounded good, deposit paid. I hung on to my valuables, hoping I wouldn’t see my new watch (or 1.69 kilos of fillet) come out of The Magician’s pocket and so pleased to say, I did not. ( It had happened to Mrs A’s watch, after dinner at Kaya a few years ago, and I remember at the time feeling frightened and sick, as I hunted for my wallet).

I showed off my shiny, new purchase to Young Chef, sat relaxing at the bar before his evening shift and he politely said it was very nice and how much was it. “TL50”. The look on his face was more “you stupid idiot” than “oh wow, mate, what a bargain”. But a serious Purchasing guy knows the time when it’s OK to haggle over ten quid. And with Lovely Watch Lady, that was not one of them. I know.

Back on The Roof after a swim, one hour ran into another, still full from those dunked, gorgeous chips. The Young Ones all fresh and beautiful went out for their dates as Mrs A and I watched the lights come on, one by one, all around the bay. Streaming some chill out stuff on Spotify, I slumped lower and lower into the deep cushions of my Ottoman sofa. Why move. Why, indeed.

Later, feeling we ought to eat something, I quickly knocked up a Spanish Omelette to share, in the kitchen down below. Mrs A and I had just finished eating when, one by one, The Young Ones returned from their dates. Amazingly, they had all ended up in the same vicinity; Bex & Tom had a balcony in Sade, Jo & Rick had pre-booked a table at Baharat and Oli & Beth chose, on the spur, Paprika. They all enthused over their meals and I didn’t hear a bad word from any of them, as they night capped up here on The Roof. Oli was especially using Paprika and Coriander in the same sentence and we will sense check this morning if Paprika may have got the edge.

Wanting the next day to arrive so I could do something marvellous with Yussuf’s fillet, I called it a day and went to bed.

Antler

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2015, 06:11:03 AM »
Another lazy day, perfect! I was on the 07:20 birmingham international to london euston, full day of meetings in some basement offices til 5' then emergerd into 25 degrees heat to head for the tube! Got home around 8:30.  Horrible sarnies for luch and left over spag bol for tea!

Anyhow, look forward to hearing about Kaya trip as we've booked it in August. Have a great day Antlers!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »
Haybo! Sounds like the perfect day!  ;D ;D
Mine was wonderful too.......spent in a steaming office where the policy says we can't have the air conditioning on until 50 people have passed out!!
Oh and yours sounded ok Antler!  :laugh:

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2015, 06:12:57 PM »
Antler, sounds like another relaxing day, just a little activity but not too much.   I have tried cafe vita's shrimp casserole and very good too.   It was on your recommendation on a blog about two years or so ago so we made Cafe Vita's our first day lunch instead of Akin.

If you have four or five watches from the market in Kalkan I wonder how many that means you have altogether???

Was it today you will be cooking your fillet and chicken from the butchers?   Look forward to hearing what you did with it.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2015, 07:20:10 PM »
Another lovely day on holiday with the Antlers!  What a fantastic time - love your reports from The Roof!

Babs, I did smile, the first speaker was only talking for around eleven minutes when the "going on a journey" phrase made an early entry!  I was immediately transported on a magical Turkish Carpet to the beach in Kalkan!

Hope you wern't too hot today! x

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2015, 05:54:18 AM »
A sound similar to a cricket gone made, immediately outside my bedroom window,  brought me out of my early morning slumber today. And maybe it did, too, for the dogs. They started. Like being on an island, surrounded by these 4 legged beasts, they all went mad with each other, raging and barking as more were added to the fray. One by one they came out of their homes, on chains or caged in behind their fences, protecting their properties with all their might. For a moment, I thought that these creatures, and I, had all gone mad.

And then they were all gone.

The remaining bats of the night flittered about the blue-grey sky as the dawn was handed over to the crickets and the birds. The clock moved from 5 to 6am.

Yesterday, Day 7/17 had started off badly, too, with the realisation of another half a dozen or so mozzie bites, all down my left hand side. No matter what I do this holiday, they get through whatever barrier I throw up. What do I do, lock myself away in an air-conned, darkened room? Or, spend a day at sea.

Over breakfast yesterday, we heard all of the details about The Young Ones’ dinners at Paprika, Baharat and Sade; beef in clay pots, surfs and turfs, mojitos and magical moments as they all enthused over the “quality and service” of their evening before. All this talk of food!!  We rang Papatya Café and booked our table for lunch, to check that it would be OK.

As the temperature shot up, here on The Roof, we planned Day 7. Morning at the villa, lunch at Papatya Café, LaVanta, shopping as we came back down into town, BBQ on the roof this evening with special guests, Mr & Mrs Burnley. All agree? Sold.

Here, under the shade of the roof canopy, I played with my new, luxury watch, thumping it on the table to see if I could get the Date to show properly. Oli showed me another way and my luxury watch was perfect once more.

Boy it was hot. Papatya Café would be the perfect slot on this hotter day, up there high above Kalkan. And to have such magnificent views would be an even greater treat. It would also allow us to see what is driving the position of being the No 1 on Trip Advisor for Restaurants in Kalkan; a quality and service lunch (or, dangerous place to be?)
I rang Mahmut and asked for his help, in 5 minutes. As if by clockwork, our taxis were there faster than I could say TL20.

I hadn’t realised quite how far up the hill LaVanta was, with Google Maps showing it somewhere up by the D400. The last part of the journey was quite alarming, with delivery vehicles coming down the steep, dusty track at speed, on the wrong side of the road. I had a change of shorts, so it was OK.

“New Kid on The Block” Papatya gets its rave reviews for its Burgers, its food generally, lovely hosts – and of course, spectacular views.

The air was cooler, almost refreshing, so noticeably more comfortable than down in town on this hot day.
A table of a dozen or so diners were studying the menu as we made our way to our prepared poolside table on the terrace. Wow, look at THAT view!

The menu was simple and the burgers of various types won it for the day. Rick’s “Burg-ometer” would have a field day. Erhan took our drinks orders and we challenged him on his Bloody Mary, saying that we had not found tabasco much in Kalkan, so much so, we had even brought our own up here today!  “You try and you tell me!” Erhan replied. And so we did.

Half a dozen or so people were sunbathing around the long pool and if it were not for the lavender hedge, helping to distort the view of the villas being built one level below, the panorama would be just perfect; think Mediteran, without the electricity cable.

Erhan’s Bloody Mary hit each and every spot. Got it! Well done young man and we put away our tabasco. So good, we had to have another as Erhan explained he would take our food order once the other large table had been sorted. That seemed OK – after all, we were in Bloody Mary Heaven.

I wish I had stayed in Bloody Mary Heaven, ordered a third and then the taxi home, as we had been sat there, with this gorgeous view, for the best part of 2 hours before my Lamb Burger and Fries arrived. Lunch at 15.20 hours, to be precise. I needed food like I needed a hole in the a*se. Erhan was most apologetic as I explained our disappointment, and why.

Lady Chef came out and apologised, too, saying the large table of 12 or 13 had turned up unexpectedly before us, and they had been unable to cope. Hairs on my neck rising, “but we had booked” I said with a softened voice, wanting to take away her – and my – pain.

We also explained the Burgers were second to none, and the chips, oh boy! The 10% discount off the bill was politely refused, as we had visited them in support. Erhan shook my hand as we left, after we enjoyed half an hour in their pool, explaining he felt so bad and that he would get it right, which kind of added to my pain.

I guess, given longer and not so many things on the To Do list, we would give them another try; but for us, for now, they can remain No 1 on Trip Advisor for Restaurants in Kalkan. It’s my Quality & Service choice: Burger, Fries and some drinks, or, a day out at sea.

Mahmut got us back into town much faster than his speedy trip up, dropping us at the Greengrocer for fresh vegetables to go with tonight’s  BBQ.

By the time we got to Yellow Villa we were laden with bags of provisions – and melting. The realisation at Bread & More that we had forgotten Cranberry Juice for our Woo Woos on The Roof, I dipped in and bought a carton from them. Oh dear, we have been here a week and not been back in to see them, our friendly restaurant neighbours.

Rick took charge of cooking the meat. Tandori Chicken, Fillet Steak Skewers, Oli’s home made burgers with a melt-in-the-middle cheese stuffing (he’s doing well, this lad, on the culinary front) and what’s becoming, now, our signature dish – Beth & Oli’s No Sin Chips.

Sadly the wind changed and rather than like out first BBQ a few evenings ago, when the smoke gently wafted up into the night air, the wind was fierce and blowing the wind down the chimney and the sparks and ash out into Rick’s face. He stuck with it to the end, a greater man than me.

When the chips came out of the oven, I had put in a “chuck-it-all-in-and-beat-it” Chocolate Fudge Cake, into my favourite silicone Loaf Tray, brought over from the UK (mad fool).

Even if this non-cake eater says it himself, the smell of hot chocolate fudge cake and some Carte Dor Classic Kaymakli Dondurma ice cream, looking out to sea from our Roof Terrace, was a pretty good end to an indifferent day.

Antler

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2015, 07:53:45 AM »
Really loving these reports, antler. Just catching up after a few days of non-compliance. Shame about Lavanta....and the weather today :(
Hope it picks up for your BBQ trip.
We have a confession about the sonic mosquito plug-ins....ours aren't sonic at all  :P Something got lost in translation so apologies for the wild goose chase. Remember, if Yali doesn't sell it...it doesn't exist.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »
Remember, if Yali doesn't sell it...it doesn't exist.

Milk. I'm pretty sure milk exists.......
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
Really loving these reports, antler. Just catching up after a few days of non-compliance. Shame about Lavanta....and the weather today :(
Hope it picks up for your BBQ trip.
We have a confession about the sonic mosquito plug-ins....ours aren't sonic at all  :P Something got lost in translation so apologies for the wild goose chase. Remember, if Yali doesn't sell it...it doesn't exist.

Sonic mosquito repellants do exist but like just about every other repellant, apart from DEET, they don't work.

If any one is tempted to buy one, have a read of:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20669080

Offline yakamoz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »
Great blog. the fudge cake sounds yummy, any chance you could share the recipe? Thankyou in advance .

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:24 AM »
Day 8/17 – Kaya BBQ Trip and dinner at Coriander
By the time we got to Kaya for the 10am pick up for our (£20) trip up into the hills, it was fairly obvious we were in for a grey morning. It was not so obvious it was going to be pouring down with rain and therefore blummin’ cold.

I think it caught Kadir out, too, as he had not experienced this weather on this once or twice a week, new excursion. Life is Life he said. Not even his brilliant magic could turn pouring rain into sun.

Feeling colder and colder, itching with new mozzie bites, frightened the mini bus would lose its backside on the greasy-from-new-rain roads, we made our way up to Bezirgan. Despite having 9 days left in Kalkan, the thought of being on a Jet2 flight to Leeds Bradford appealed. Why hadn’t I stuck to the “Dubai” in my Trip username, AntlerDubai? I struggled with that thought as the bus journeyed on.

Thoughts like “why did they bother?” and “well, you would have thought they would have cancelled?”  must have run through people’s minds; or, was it just the defeatist in me?

At the first stop in Bezirgan, Bex’s face was like thunder as she really had not wanted to go, preferring to enjoy one of her sunny days in Yellow Villa’s pool and up on The Roof (which she would not have enjoyed weather wise, anyway).

“Is this it?!” she retorted, “where’s the pool?!”

No, this was not it Rebecca, me slipping back into Parent:Child mode. These were grain stores as Kadir was kindly explaining (but I was fighting back tears of laughter at such an impromptu and stupid comment, which became one of our catch phrases for the Antlers’ entire day).

Kadir had to whisk us back on to the bus as the rain came down and he finished his tales of times gone by, farmers storing grain in these little huts, safely away from the flood plain. He had taken photos of heavy rain, then floods, this last winter and mounted them on a board for us all to see. Global Warming, we all agreed.

Mrs A’s knuckles were white with tension as the bus driver mastered the 350 degree turns until soon we were there.

“There” was a family property of a few homes, built into the sloping forests of quite a stunningly beautiful landscape. There was (of course) a bar, an open, outside kitchen, a covered terrace and Ottoman seating area. Oh, and a new pool and deck with sun loungers, that we had watched being completed on FB this very last winter.

As the kettle was got on, shivering and getting wet from the rain dripping through the broken canopy, the realisation that today the beach towel would be my coat struck home.

Bex got Tom back, playing him his “You wanted it!” as he looked glum and bewildered in this rustic scene, his head not far from the holes in the roof. That was enough to start us all off, playing with the innuendo for the next hour - or, even day. Price less, family fun. I was cold, damp and unbelievably happy my Jet 2 was not taking off right now.

Life is Life said Kadir and as if by magic, Can from Kaya filled wheelbarrows with chopped, dry wood. With a squirt of lighter fuel, he soon had raging portable fires to wheel around wherever he wanted. Stood just one foot away, the roaring flames burned the mozzie bites on my back as my tee shirt steamed. A large glass of vodka coke and I was no longer broken.

We watched Chef from Kaya and his helpers prepare a dozen or so dishes for our mezze starter and Kadir decorated the table with fresh walnut tree leaves. It was a spectacular visual display with an even more spectacular taste.

The rain stopped, the vodka didn’t and the sun did its best to try to shine.

Many of The Young Ones – and some of The Older ones, too – were in the pool , playing water volley ball or something amid roars and cheers as they had their fun. Tom’s cheers could be heard as Bex commented “He’s gonna love this!”.

I had another vodka as the sun warmed my head.

With no room for the BBQ’d main, I did have room for the fresh fruit an hour or more later. Chef from Kaya had carved honey dew melon baskets that each had a swan carved out of an apple as its centrepiece, with the melon full of summer fruits. I can’t wait to load up some pictures for you.

I felt all Turkish as the music played and asked Kadir would he mind putting on some of my Most Played tunes. “Of course!” as he plugged in my iPhone and pressed Play.

As Cahit Berkay’s “Alyazmalim” filled the air, one by one, Chef from Kaya and his helpers looked at Kadir in a very puzzled way, shaking their heads from side to side, as if to say, “No Way!”

Kadir threw their stares over to me with his head and I could not believe the depth of feeling in their stares. They could not thank me enough.

Sleeping on the bus for the next 45 minutes or so back to Kalkan, arriving to a very pleasant and sunny evening, we could not get back along the Kalamar Road fast enough, rushing up to The Roof for a warming hour of R&R.

Tom was soaking up the rays, relaxed with an Efes and I asked him “Marks out of Ten for today?” expecting a two or a three.  “Eight!” He replied, very happy with his world. He had, after all, wanted it. The very rustic, terra firma version of a Kalkan Day at Sea.

Moonlight Bar was really busy and we were only a little late for our 8:30pm cocktails. A Long Island Iced Tea & a Woo Woo with Mr & Mrs K4E, before they depart; but hopefully a parting that won’t be for too long. Mr & Mrs Burnley had made it too, so it could have developed into quite a session had we not had our respective tables reserved.

Coriander was our choice and we chatted with Can and Dionne about the success of their new venture. Mrs A had Garlic Prawns, then Lamb Shank, that melted in her mouth. Mine was Liver then Can’s suggestion if I was having fish, Sea Bass Fillets stuffed with King Prawns. It was fascinating watching the bread being made on a hot stone, next to our table, dipping it into the juices, deep down in the large bowls of complementary salad throughout our meal.
With several drinks, £18 per head and probably worth much, much more.

Easy to see why they are so popular; it was a lovely meal and I loved the vibe.

Our wet day ended warm and dry, up on The Roof, 8 Antlers’ laughing their socks off and planning their next day. 

Antler
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:14:29 AM by antler »

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »
The weather didn't seems to dampen your day too much! Our friends, The Stockers, were on the trip yesterday. Not heard from them yet but if there was Efes fuelled fun and high jinks being had in the pool I'm pretty sur the 3 male ones would have been involved. We loved the trip when we went in June and will be going again in sept with aforementioned Stocker parent ant others.

pw

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »
Only you can make a soggy BBQ sound like the best day ever....what a way you have with words, antler.
I know how it must have dampened your spirits a little, but by the time you returned to Yellow Villa last night it sounds like your faith in Kalkan was restored.
Lovely to see you last night for cocktails and looking forward to reading about the rest of your stay....which after today we are no longer sharing *sad face*.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
Such a shame about the weather but it sounded like you stoically made the most of it  :)
It always looks and sounds like a fab day out up at the kaya mountain (I always think of "the Walton's" when I see it written down) trip. We have yet to do this and just like your Bex, our girls pull their faces when we mention it. I'm sure they would have a fab time but I'm not prepared to risk it. Automan and I, on the other hand can't wait to go.  :)
Hope the weather improves for you and all the other forum members in Kalkan now.  8)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2015, 06:57:15 PM »
Well, as Kalkan4eva said you certainly made a wet soggy day sound fun.  I think, though, I would have had white knuckles like Mrs A. going round those twisting roads in wet weather.

I believe there is a pool up there - I for one would not have been going in it on such a cool day, I would have been keeping very close to the fires.   The food sounds really good though.   That I could certainly have enjoyed.

I hope you soon all dried out and that today has been a better sunnier day as we hope for in Kalkan in June.

Look forward to hearing todays exploits in tomorrow mornings blog.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2015, 06:21:57 AM »

Day 9/17 started on The Roof. It’s amazing how one day without the sun on holiday gets you up more promptly the day after. One by one, The Young Ones joined me on The Roof, even before I hadn’t finished my blog, arriving before 8am.

It was the perfect Kalkan morning. Crystal clear blue skies, a gentle breeze and an Accu weather forecast of 25C.

Beautiful.

The maid arrived quite early, so we abandoned our chill out hour up here, in favour of the downstairs back terrace, so she had the free run of the house, without us being in her way.

I popped over to Yali and got some bags of fresh bread and most of us enjoyed it with a huge pan of boiled eggs on the kitchen terrace, Oli & Beth choosing to have Menenem at Bread & More.

We were still laughing at the Kaya BBQ from the day before, The Young Ones reminding me of my blog omissions. How could I ever forget “The Turn” that Kadir did late in the afternoon? Stood there, with his little scrap of paper to remind him what joke was next, it was a Turk telling jokes in English, explaining every punch line.  He had me in fits of laughter, even though I had heard them all before. “It’s the way you tell ‘em”. It certainly is. And when we got to the one about the Convent, I cracked up. The head one in a convent is a boss nun, right? We had to all agree. Politically incorrect, suitable for those over 18 only - Kadir’s Turn was priceless.

I had also left out the fierce .22 rifle competition, Mrs A scoring 3 direct hits having never put her hand on a rifle before, and Bex, on a roll getting 9 hits in a row. Across the track from where we enjoyed our lunch, was a pile of plastic, blue water bottles and a few other types. Jokingly, over lunch, I had suggested it was a Turkish Recycling Centre, having no idea it was there for a major activity in the afternoon. There we go, kids, blog error now corrected!

The day got even better as The Young Ones agreed a Thai Chicken Red Curry at La Casa Mia would be great for lunch. (Believing I could get this one over the line, I had found the tins of Coconut Milk in Yali earlier and also, hunted out fresh coriander in the bottom greengrocer, so I was prepared).

Mr & Mrs K4E had suggested we pop over and collect some provisions as they packed their cases midday. I am sure they wanted to see us like they needed a hole in the head, with those precious hours remaining on their final day. True to form, they offered us a drink and even truer to form, we accepted. I am not sure Mr K4E’s shot of Russian Standard could be measured in fingers up a glass – at least, not with the fingers on one hand. (It was SO good!)

We enjoyed hearing all about their final meal the evening before and took advice on some “must doos” for our following week, as one by one, items from their fridge got thrown into bags for us to enjoy.  Really sad to see them go. Life is Life.
Realising we were going to be late back to make lunch, we shot back up the hill laden with two heavy bags, me with one on each arm, the pain of the weight anaesthetised by my Vodka Coke.

The good thing about Thai Curry is the short time it takes and the flavour it packs. For speed, the red paste was from Morrison’s, so handy in sachets and not to be an issue with the weight. Also from the same store, coconut cream in small cartons. But, I needn’t have worried, Yali had that in easy open tins, too. The only compromise was the Fish Sauce, but as Mr K4E pointed out, I could have made my own?  Smart, Mr K4E, I like it!

As the chicken thighs sautéed in the red paste in a wide pan, Rick was operating under instruction with all the liquids using my special purchase from the UK. Yes, mouths drop open when they realise that for £13.75 from Amazon, I had brought with me, a Swan Vitreous Enamel, 36cm oval roaster. In black. It’s gorgeous and so versatile. Mrs A would have thought I was completely off my trolley, had she of known it was in the case, full of boxer shorts and hidden by Tees.

But I thought, just in case this so well equipped villa did not have something exactly the same size, better to play it safe. I could always leave it there…..

Coconut Milk? “Yes, Chef!”  Coconut Cream? “ Yes, Chef! Juice of two limes …and so it went on with the rest of the ingredients Rick mixed together. The chicken was then added to my lovely black pan and in the oven for the time it took to cook the rice.

20 minutes later, I was in a Chef McDang Heaven, dipping some fresh bread into a bowl of the sauce, not really needing any chicken to meet my need.

Another pool / roof / pool, sleep and dribble afternoon followed, once again making us almost late for dinner. The Young Ones had gone on ahead to have cocktails in the new bar above Coriander, with us joining them already seated in Mussakka, well after 9pm.

It was then we had another “Kadir Moment, with Rick asking for a shot of Cointreau in his Long Island Iced Tea. “Yes, sir, whatever you like!” the waiter replied.

When Rick’s drink arrived, there it was, this gorgeous, colourful cocktail, wrapped in kitchen towel. Remember that translation:  Cointreau = Kitchen Towel. I don’t think my sides will ever stop hurting.

The steaks in Mussakka are always right off the scale and so I ordered their signature dish – Aubergine Mussakka. Why? Only because I knew I would have room for a large slice of Mrs A’s Roquefort Fillet.  And of course, she delivered. Mrs A reckoned it was the best steak she had ever had in her life (and probably something we have said more than a few times before in Mussakka). Mehmet had advised her to ask for it rare if she wanted it pink in the middle; it came perfectly pink, all the way through this 2inch thick slab of meat. It was good; very, very good.

Pleased Mehmet’s Team have been able to get their act together in a new venue after the terrible fire. They have a good formula and it works; no need to try so hard, slow down on those steps!

Not eating so much, but drinking the same, my evening began to slide. And the Mud Slide at The Fountain at 11:30pm was the final blow. Packed with Baileys and other stuff, hidden by the ice cream base, it knocked me out as we said our goodbyes to Mr & Mrs Burnley. We remembered this place as Rendezvous some years ago, when we had one of the worst meals we had ever had in Kalkan, the restaurant being closed when we went back the following year.

Now a trendy bar with great music, up on the roof opposite Café Del Mar, my TL26 Mud Slide cocktail slid me nicely over my edge.

The perfect treatment for a day of Goodbyes.

Antler

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »
We are enjoying your posts Antler, you need to definitely continue now K4E is back home! No word from Suzyq1 yet, maybe she hasn't taken her ipad with her after all! I am looking forward to sampling the steak in Moussaka this year, as well as the chicken livers! Hope the sun is shining today for you today 8) 8) 8)

J

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2015, 04:46:09 PM »
What Jayne said!
Except the bit about chicken livers and steak!  :D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »
That red Thai curry sounds delicious and you make it sound easy to make.  Share your recipe??

I have never tried a Mud Slide (nor heard of one) so I tried Google.   Eventually I got the picture of a rich end of evening cocktail but not before two or three sites asked my complete date of birth before they were prepared to divulge the recipe.  Not just "are you over 21" or "over 18" but day, month and year.  I decided I was not going to give out that kind of personal information to a random site on Google.   Thinking about it, we have several cocktail recipe books so may just look there.  In Kalkan one of my favourite ways to round up an evening is sitting on a balcony overlooking the lights of the bay with a simple bowl of icecream and a large tot (actually more than a tot) of some liquer, especially an almond based one.

Hope today is being a good one for the Antlers and look forward to tomorrow's blog.

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:03 PM »
Fantastic posts! Your posts from previous years whetted our appetite for Kalkan and gave us invaluable advice for our visits over the subsequent 3 years.  We're taking a break this year (sadly) as we had a big trip to NZ and Australia at the beginning of this year and are going to try sailing in Croatia instead for our summer holiday!!!!  All booked for 2015 though for my *0th birthday so Happy Days:)

Enjoy the rest of your break and keep on posting!
Lou :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I LOVE KALKAN

Started by JacquiB on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 09:02:20 PM
by Kefgirl
cheesy
Hi, I am new to site, but not to Kalkan (5 times) Love it!!!!!

Started by Mandee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Everything I love about Kalkan encapulated in one photo!!

Started by goonernumber1 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 05:05:06 PM
by Mrs B
xx
Lets go back to basics...what do you love about Kalkan?

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
by tortoise lady

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sailing into the blue

Views: 4235
By: Buster
Kalkan