Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets go back to basics...what do you love about Kalkan?  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
There has been much negativity on this forum of recent. Lets go back to the start and remind everyone what this forum was about..enjoying Kalkan. It's meant to be for visiters old and new to Kalkan and is meant for people to ask questions about the place and be given respectful replies. Yes we can have debates but the dogs debate has gone on forever now and needs to be taken elsewhere ,it is not for this sort of forum that aims to promote tourism.

Come everyone tell us what you love about Kalkan and lets show everyone what they are missing by not booking  ;D

For me it's sitting in Kleo Bar with a nice glass of rose looking out to sea and watching the sun set.....bliss :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7763.0

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Lets go back to basics...what do you love about Kalkan?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
great idea  :)

Where to begin?  The amazing, warm and genuine hospitality.  Seeing old friends and making new ones - see you very soon Omer and Ilhan and Sakir too  :D.  The fabulous food.  Sitting at Yali bar with an ice cold Efes, unable to resist the popcorn despite promising myself I'll resist, and watching the world go by. 

The views, the crystal clear sea, the beautiful setting of the village nestling in its bay...that first view of the bay from the D400, and the instant relaxation it brings.

It's the only place we've ever returned to, and about to visit for our 7th time.  Kalkan isn't perfect, but it's as close to it as I know  :laugh:

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:49:46 PM »
Its the street dogs....no JOKE ;D ;D I used to love walking down from our villa two streets up from the Samira Delux...I would set off early for a shave and would not be able to get to the barbers without being stopped by lots of local people on the way for a chat etc....one evening after my shave (and cold Efes supplied by the barber) I wondered down to the harbour for a meal at Aubergine's...turning up early without the main party was not a problem, a small table was set up on the pavement for me with many a cold Efes brought out...sitting watching all the restaurants getting prepared for the evening and people watching was great......even the mayor stopped for a chat....might sound a bit odd I know but I enjoyed it.... ;D ;D 

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
So many things.
The first view from the D400 always makes me feel a little emotional.

The wonderful people you meet that always have time and always remember you.

The fabulous food everywhere you go, whether it is a posh restaurant or a cafe.

Being on a relaxing boat trip around Kalkan bay.

Having a lovely pedicure and then sitting next door in Cafe Leon with a glass of rose waiting for the polish to dry.

The gorgeous view from our apartment- and its all ours!

I never want to come home.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline zros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • Fallen in love with Kalkan and the people
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:32:21 PM »
I have been visiting Kalkan now twice a year over the past three years and continue to return due to the beautiful friendly people, amazing views, unspoilt harbour which overflows in culture, colour and smells. Uncomplicated life styles of the locals always wanting to please and accommodate you. The quaintness which it offers and the magical feeling you experience sitting looking at the view of Kalkan lit up at night whilst sipping Turkish almond. -----I arrive this Saturday with my best friend and can't wait as it is her first time to Kalkan but I know it won't be her last.  :)

Offline iyiislamlar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:41:11 PM »
We have been coming to Kalkan for over 15 years and our holiday starts when the Enes transfer car stops at the petrol station with the swimming pool on the right hand side just before the roundabout where you left turn for the straight run into Kalkan. We are remembered and we have that first cold Efes ( and if the driver is busy talking we have been known to have a sly second..bliss )
Like everyone else the first sight of the bay and Mouse and Snake make you speechless for a few minutes, just drink in the view, you are "home"
I nag my wife to unpack quickly, if she must ( and she insists she does ) so we can get into town and start to "party"

Seeing Muhuttin and the gang at Moonlight, Hal at Kleo and watch the moon over the harbour, Mustafa at Fenner for a Turkish lesson, and many many more old friends.

First night usually ends up with Chicken soup and Ekmek and more Ekmek, that exploding bread at Ali Baba's

Trying not to adopt a cat or dog ( usually unsuccesfully, any eye contact and you are their new Mummy and Daddy !

A lift up to Chops at Islamlar from Ismail for a lovely meal and then a few nightcaps around his campfire.

A trout banquet at Ciftlic one lunchtime sitting under the vines and next to the lemon trees

Sunday market at Akbel and then chay at one of the lovely chay gardens that also sell Efes if you smile and support Fenerbahce!

Dinner at Vedats ever getting better Istanbul restaurant where he cooks off menu for us

Buying fresh fruit and veg at the market, and having it with barbecued sea bass

Yep, lets get back to basics, Kalkan may be changing but will also have that magic that if you could bottle it up and sell it you wouldnt need to win the Lotto.

Leave for Turkey on 3rd June for 4 weeks, two of which are of course in our Turkish heaven.

Have a great summer

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:02:41 PM »
Oooh, loads of things (apart from the d*gs, which can't of course be mentioned)! Mainly the people. How do they do it? The waiters, barmen, shopkeepers etc have a brilliant talent of making us all feel special. Just look on the forum: everyone has their "special" restaurant, "special" table, "special" meal, special jokes etc which no other tourist has - until the next intake comes along......... It's a real people-centred gift, which many other countries/resorts would struggle to replicate. And everyone is SO keen to help, teach you Turkish etc.
And the views: one becomes quite blase about getting up and seeing the Mediterranean from one's roof terrace.
And the food. We have been coming for 14 years and the standard of the restaurants just goes up and up. If only one could find so many good places to eat within a 500 metre radius in London, Paris, Dubai etc etc

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »
I would like to say to the house that I wish to be associated with the remarks made by the previous posters.     (Rather than repeating much of what  has already been said)   We will be back for our 7th Kalkan holiday soon.  Lovely place, lovely people.
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
That first bottle of cold Efes in the bar at the Lizo, looking out at the wonderful view,
sitting at Moonlight bar with a cold glass of something or other people watching,
all those lovely meals on the rooftop terraces,
a relaxing boat trip with Captain Osman'
the people of course,
and just getting back onto ' Turkeytime' because as soon as you get there you feel instantly relaxed and chilled out!!
And in a couple of weeks me and Hubby will be doing all those things!!!
Nicky

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »
Ali meeting us at Dalaman, I know we're home even before we get to Kalkan. The welcome at the gate by the street dogs followed by 4 cats at the door..........Arriving at Akin restaurant for the biggest smile from Byram.......Akbel Restaurant Alexan and his family.........The sunsets............The food...........The people................The calling..................Friends and neighbours........Home from home.......The bay.............. Ooooo we could go on and on........well we've been coming for 14 years...... It never losses it's magic no matter what goes on.......

Offline Bobrob

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
As a relative newcomer to Kalkan (our second visit in 8 weeks time) and indeed Turkey itself I have to say just what  have I been missing all those Costa years? From the warmth of the people who genuinely seem pleased to have you around and do all that they can to make your visit to their hotel/bar/restaurant  the best time ever to the fantastic food whether it be a kebab van on market day or somewhere  more up market  for a fab meal after a hectic day doing whatever, I really can't fault the place!! We have met some wonderful fellow travellers who have helped to make our previous holiday one of the best we have ever had, and I don't say that lightly, believe me!
Roll on July 4th!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
Hooray to Mrs EK for lifting the mood on here!
We are back for the 7th time later this year and all I can say is "hear hear" to the above :laugh:

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »

And in a couple of weeks me and Hubby will be doing all those things!!!
Might bump into you then!   8)

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 09:29:20 PM »
Every year we broach the question 'shall we go somewhere different?' and the answer is always 'no'.  I'm always afraid that if we go somewhere else for our main summer holiday we will forever be comparing it to Kalkan and find it wanting.

So we put up with everyone saying we are boring and come back!!  7th time

Offline deepasforever1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 09:40:24 PM »
I love the warmth of the people I met - and can't wait to see again.  I've loved coming home and keeping in touch all year!  I love the views of the sea and the fact that it's just as amazing when you dive into it. 
I love the crystal clear water that's home to all those fish and all that history (just up the coast in Kekova in particular).
I love the place we stayed (in Kalamar), so beautifully and lovingly decorated and equipped and with an infinity pool that I could almost live in.
I love the restaurants and cafes we spent wonderful evenings in and can't wait to get back to - especially Doy Doy- completely magical! 
Only 9 and a bit weeks to go and then I can fall in love with Kalkan all over again...

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 12:00:37 AM »
We will be back in Kalkan on 20th June (34 sleeps and counting) for the 8th time since 2007 when we were well and truly hooked.  We too haven't been brave enough to try anywhere else since because in Kalkan we are guaranteed all the ingredients for yet another fabulous holiday.  Looking forward to the stunning views, sunsets and moonlight over the bay, the fabulous food and restaurants and generally just chilling with a nice cold glass of Efes whilst soaking up the sights and sounds of Kalkan's unique atmosphere.  But what makes our holiday extra special is the wonderful hospitality we receive from the turkish people who have become our friends.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »
Iv'e tried racking my brains and can't find anything that hasn't been said..other than the person who serves me my Efes usually has a big smile ..unlike in wetherspoons!! ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »
I feel like blue lizard - virtually everything I would have said has already been said.    There are three things I don't think have been mentioned and they are certainly part of what makes Kalkan special for me.    The wonderful bougainvillea draped everywhere  - if I see it elsewhere I immediately think of Kalkan.   The light on the hills as the sun goes down - I am not thinking so much of the actual sunset over on Kalamar side but the light reflected on the hills.    That particular glow doesn't last too long so I always try to be in position, best from a roof terrace, with g and t or chilled glass of white wine in hand to savour the view.     There is also the light on the hills as the sun comes up and the glow spreads along, it has a magical quality.    I try to be out on a balcony ready for it, with a glass of juice or coffee.    It is one of the very few things to tempt me from bed before the day is well underway.    Should mention that my juice of choice in Kalkan is normally Sour Cherry.    Try it if you haven't already.   

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »
We once drove from Dalaman to Kalkan at sunrise which was an experience to savour.  It was during tomato picking season when lots of hard working women were walking along the carriageway to start a busy day picking tomatoes at the various plantations along our route.  Some were lucky enough to get a lift - never seen as many people on a tractor!  Fascinating to see and I always think of them whilst eating my tomatoes in Kalkan.  Thumbs up for the cherry juice - my choice in Kalkan also.

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »
Oh yes, forgot to mention the bougainvillea - we've just planted some in our garden in the UK to remind us of Kalkan - not sure they will grow quite the same in wet and windy Wirral!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I LOVE KALKAN

Started by JacquiB on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 09:02:20 PM
by Kefgirl
xx
Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

193 Replies
Last post July 23, 2015, 08:23:16 PM
by antler
cheesy
Hi, I am new to site, but not to Kalkan (5 times) Love it!!!!!

Started by Mandee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Everything I love about Kalkan encapulated in one photo!!

Started by goonernumber1 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 05:05:06 PM
by Mrs B

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Food ''96

Views: 4451
By: winlaton mag
street