Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!  (Read 66116 times)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
and so it begins - the master of blogs is back!  I was getting choked up too reading how you and Oli shared a moment on the roof terrace just looking at 'that view'.   You manage to put so eloquently into words what makes Kalkan special and how it makes us feel.  Can't wait to read the next instalment of The Antlers in Kalkan as I never know whether I will be howling with laughter or shedding a tear!

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 09:06:16 PM »
So happy you're back and blogging!  You capture it so well, that sense of what have I done to deserve this wonderful place. Magic. Reading your blogs transports me back there...101 days and counting...

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 01:42:25 AM »
Thank you Antler, a fabulous post, having not been on EK for 6 days due to an exhausting but enjoyable school trip with 36 students in tow to France! Bob is playing Aklan's latest CD on the surround sound! never mind that it is only 1.40am!! well actually 2.40am for me! Keep up with your posts, we look forward to hearing all about your holiday.  :D

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 05:59:10 AM »
Oh dear, a little bit fragile this morning, are we, waiting for the sun to come up in my favourite spot, up here on the roof?  So, thanks to Mrs A for not allowing me that final nightcap in the same place, not so many hours ago – despite my protests. We know she is always right (and how we managed before Google, as the joke goes!)

After Blog Time at sunrise yesterday, 4 of us went right out of Yellow Villa, dropping down into Yali for some more essentials to last a couple of days. Nice Man Speaking English in Yali responded to my question for the thickest natural yogurt, great for a huge bowl ot tzatziki so eagerly awaited by us all. 

The Greengrocer was next, and TL 60 later, with more fruit and veg than we could really manage, we dropped in to see Yussuf and Co. in the Butchers. Their smiles said it all. I told him (with a big smile) that he looked fat, remembering the “complement” he paid me last time.  He was amazed, he said, with my 12 kilo less gut. Well, that’s OK, then, Yussuf, with his black locks falling down over his face; surely man enough now to get married?! We left them with a smile.

Back at Yellow Villa, as the shredded cucumber drained, Kazim dropped in to say hello and confirm the menu for tomorrow. I loved him all the more for recognising, unprompted, the efforts of my carb-free winter. We sat over a coffee, all of us around the table on the shady back terrace, as Kazim explained the dishes on his menu.

With his help, we chose 5 starters and he kind of directed us, in the nicest of ways, to have slow roasted shoulder of lamb with vegetables and a chicken and vegetable casserole for mains. His dessert would be his own concoction which sounded like a roll of pistachio-based baklava  - plus a chocolate nut-free dessert for Rick. That’s what we chose plus whatever he also includes himself. A sure banquet fit for Fathers Day!

I asked him how much it cost as I hadn’t enquired before when we had booked (why would you?) Including special guests tonight, dinner would be for ten people, 8pm.    GBP 25 per person, 3-course dinner and usually, almost enough left over for lunch the following day. Incredible.

Kazim is such a lovely man. All nine of us chatted over coffee, using our phones to take pictures of his menu, too lazy to check it out on the web. He couldn’t get over the lushness of the banana trees to the left of the terrace. Not only the best he had seen in Kalkan, but anywhere in the world!  Wow.

Enquiring how busy he is this year, he said he was fully booked until end September and so far, had turned away over 60 other enquiries for this season. Is that good, or what?!

Lunch was simple: a giant Spanish Tortilla made only with eggs and potatoes with some seasoning. Free range eggs and potatoes from Bezirgan, those flavours asking for nothing more. I appreciate the originality of poaching the potatoes with onions in olive oil, then draining, but I personally can’t be arsed let alone prefer it. After all, I am on holiday.

The other dish was a Pea, Ham & Ricotta Frittata, seasoned plus a sprinkling of mixed herbs. With a large salad of iceberg, jucy-ripe tomatoes and one radish, bigger than a Bramley, to pack some punch. With the softest bread dipped in taztziki, it was a simple, family affair, overlooking the olive grove, on Day1of 17. Boy,that felt good!

The bar had opened at 12:30pm, in time for a pre-lunch drink and we apologised to Roger as he dipped in to check we wanted for nothing, pointing out that we don’t normally start drinking this early. Honest.

So glad we have no real neighbours as The Young Ones enjoyed each other’s company, post-lunch,  in an around the pool. We, too, enjoyed their Bluetooth streaming while we sat on the small terrace in the olive grove attempting to doze amongst the pots of fresh herbs. With a stem of mint in one hand and one of basil in the other, I drifted off to sleep.

Waking up to laughter on the roof, we could not leave them up there on their own and so glad we joined them, not to miss Tom’s hilarious pole dance with the parasol; especially as he is taller than the darned thing. Priceless!

I couldn’t resist an hour of My Time as the late afternoon sun slid down into the hill over Kalamar Bay, sitting alone on the edge of the back terrace at peace in my own world.

Thanks to my slumber, we were a tad late for our 8pm booking at Sofra, but I called them out of courtesy as we made our way. No problem.

Mrs A and I chose Turkish Mousakka, which we both prefer to its Greek equivalent, being much lighter to enjoy without potatoes and béchamel sauce. And big on tomatoes. The meal was perfect and I agree with K4E, that view at Sofra has to be one of, if not THE best in the whole of Kalkan. Our table was on the edge and the waiters remembered us from our last evening there in 2013. We had picked up where we had left off.

Tom was still on a roll and needed a pipe. So a gentle stroll down to Flamingo to share an apple one. What a great bar that is!  The music was spot on (says he, not having a clue what it was now, but so enjoyed it at the time). The waiters refreshed the coals and the apple went round and round – just like my head.

I floated back to Yellow Villa (apparently) and enjoyed a few glasses of Sprite Light right here, on the roof.

Well, in a couple of minutes, the sun will appear over the hill towards Kas, already lighting up Mouse & Snake and most of Kalkan Bay. I know I’m going to really enjoy Father’s Day, Sunday 21st June, grateful that I can and mindful of those missing a special piece of their heart. My thoughts are with you, Tom xx

Antler

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 06:51:41 AM »
I've no idea how we didn't see 8 Antlers scurrying into Sofra from our people watching vantage point in Moonlight. We were there from around 8 until 9pm before we headed up to Mussakka. That makes our observation skills less than perfect...although BH had his eye on the cricket  :P
Another wonderful post....you make a salad, frittata and tortilla sound like fine dining.
Happy Father's Day!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
 :). Thank you for another fab post. You certainly know how to evoke such great feelings of being on holiday in this wonderful place. I'd like to have your posts on my Kindle. Carry on posting and more importantly having a great time. Enjoy your Fathers Day celebrations.

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »
Happy Fathers Day Antler  :)
Wonderful report as usual. I guess that as I'm writing this you will be looking forward to your feast

Kids have just treated us to a few drinks at our local but now hubby is lighting the BBQ. He's happy so I am too!

Have a fabulous evening. Will  look forward to hearing all about it.

I think Mrs A is like my Mr S…. He knows when I have had enough, even if I don"t  >:D >:D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 06:02:23 PM »
As usual much enjoying your blog Antler.

I must admit your meals put mine to shame.   In Kalkan I think I have made a big effort buying a ready cooked chicken, slicing some tomatoes with a sprinkling of basil and olive oil, slicing some fresh bread and getting out the butter!   Hoping meanwhile I have been poured a large g and t. to compensate for all that effort.   The idea of making my own tzatziki makes me pale.   Not to mention making Tortilla and Frittata. Wish I had been there for your lunch.

Also wish I was going to join all of you for Father's Day dinner this evening.   I am sure it will be wonderful and look forward to reading your blog tomorrow morning and hearing all about it.

Really must try Sofra on next visit to Kalkan in September.   I can't remember ever going there but keep hearing good things about it, plus the view of course.   With so many good restaurants to try, and also enjoying relaxing with a very simple meal at home on some days, it is impossible to fit them all in. 

Hope all of you Antlers, plus friends, have a great evening.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »
Great to have you back, Antler! We will actually be in Kalkan when you are, for once :)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 06:45:59 AM »
Well, it's 8.45 in Kalkan and no blog.......I'm guessing the sun hasn't risen or Antler had a GOOD Father's Day!!!

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 06:55:28 AM »
You know me too well, pw!! Just give me 45 seconds and it will hit the ethernet. Now, where's the paracetemol.....

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 06:57:42 AM »
I wish I could say I was a little less fragile this morning, but I can’t. Anyway, my punishment is, I have missed the sunrise as it’s already just gone 8. Not a practice I  want to continue this holiday!

Although yesterday was My Day, actually the day belonged not to me, but to Kazim and his assistant – the stars of yesterday’s show. More of that in a bit.

We had decided that Day 2/17 would be spent totally around the villa. A simple lunch had been prepared. Whilst dozing in the sun the previous evening, I had poached two large packs of chicken breasts bought from Yussuf (TL11 per kilo, no less) in Lal rose and a splash of olive oil, then left them to cool in their juices before fridging overnight. Even though I say it myself, they did make an amazing Coronation Chicken yesterday morning, packed with mild curry, mango chutney and raisins.  The only thing missing was a spoonful of white wine vinegar. (So impressed with my 1980’s recreation was I, I asked Kazim later in the day what he thought of it, and guess what he said:  “Ooooh very nice, just missing a splash of vinegar to balance the sweetness””  Come on, that’s unreal?)

And the home made oven chips were not too bad either, with such good potatoes with the yellowy flesh, skins on and poached for 5 minutes before roasting, sprinkled with paprika – a true weight watchers favourite – and no sins, Beth!!

It was lovely to have Mr & Mrs K4E for lunch, to have a good catch up and share the experiences of the day. They liked my Coronation Chicken, too, thank heavens – so they can come again, lol!

Worried that we may run out of beer and wine during tonight’s banquet, I popped along to the Beer & Wine Shop at the first roundabout and made my selection. A lovely couple, always so friendly and helpful, and my standby taxi friends!  Crates of Efes regular, Malt and some ciders, bottles of red, white, pink and fizz, all on the Buy Now Pay Never Card, delivered home within the hour. A relaxed Antler once more.

The Young Ones went out shopping and for a mooch around, retuning some hours later having emptied the kitty, plus replaced broken sunglasses, flip flops and shoes.

Chef and his assistant arrived just before 3 and we watched in awe as he prepared the lamb. Whole joints of the stuff, gently being rubbed with fresh lemon juice, turned and turned and rubbed some more. Trimmed of most fat, stuffed with the leaves of freshly picked rosemary, clear of their stems not to be tough, then seasoned with some salt. All in a Lakeland Roasting bag, gently pierced, ready for 3.5 hours in the oven.

The chicken casserole smelled delicious even from the roof terrace as the thigh meat was sauted in some hot oil.
As the sun set, we enjoyed a few drinks back up on the roof (I will never want to leave this place) hoping Mr & Mrs K4E would arrive soon. And they did and we enjoyed the sunset before Kazim called us down at 8.20pm. He talked us through the array of meze on the table and wished us a pleasant meal.  Although hard to make a selection, one of the stars for me, was what he called his own concoction; like a cheese borek without the cheese. A delicately light roll stuffed with minced lamb, chicken and caramelised onion. I’m going to have to use that over-played word; it was awesome. So were the other dips and salads.

It’s hard to know what to say about the lamb. We knew before he walked in through the door that it would be out of this world; Kazim over-delivered once more.

I don’t do deserts, but his pistachio nut concoction just melted in my mouth, blending well with the vanilla in the ice cream. I had offered him our cointreau and brandy bottles, and he invited guests to take a shot glass of either from a tray, to enjoy with the deserts. And there was the slippery slope. Later, the same bottles came up onto the roof and we passed them round and round under a starry sky.

At the end of the evening, the kitchen was the cleanest it had been since we arrived as  Kazim and his assistant left (I can’t forgive myself for not asking her name, she was such a sweet person). We asked them not to just leave, but come and say bye bye on the roof terrace. And so they did, to a huge round of applause and loud cheers.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

What a day. WHAT A DAY.

Antler

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 07:24:49 AM »
In case you wonder what last nights wines were, here goes:

•   Fizz: Altun Kopuk Brut (with a splash of Chambord to make it a tad better!)
•   Red: Okuzgozu  Bogazkere   2013
•   White:  Seneler Sauvignon Blanc  2013

Happy Monday!

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
Well by the sounds of it,  this mornings hangover is a small price to pay for the amazing day/evening that you all had. You had me hanging on every word and literally drooling.  :)

Day off today for me and I'm sat with my first coffee looking out at the grey sky and listening to the rain fall on the conservatory roof ,wishing I too was in Kalkan……but hey 4 more sleeps and I will  :D :D

Enjoy day 3, but please get up earlier tomorrow or I won't get to read your blog before I go to work!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 07:50:13 AM »
Oh antler...you have summed the day up so perfectly. It really was a truly awesome (there..I've said it too) experience. Your food was delicious for lunch and those chips...? wow! Kazim and his lovely assistant did us proud, the dinner was a dining experience never to be forgotten. But the real stars of the show - the antlers, all 8 of them, perfect company and chief antler the most congenial and generous host. Oh and Yellow Villa aint too shabby either :)
I didn't want it to end.....

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2015, 07:59:57 AM »
It sounds as if you had an amazing day.......what's a little hangover when you have all that to look back on?  :laugh:
And how lucky are you Mr and Mrs K4E to be honourary Antlers for the day!?

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
Very kind words, K4E. Thank you!  Having you both with us made our day complete.

I may skip the Bloody Mary this morning.

On second thoughts.......

>:D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:14 AM »
Sounds like a perfect day. Fab food and fab company, fab Father's Day and best of all it was in Kalkan. What more can an Antler ask for?
Nurse that hangover and enjoy a nice relaxing day today.  8) 8)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »
 :) What a perfect day, everything from start to finish sounded amazing. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 10:35:22 AM »
"... Buy Now Pay Never Card..."

How did you get a Greek Credit Card?  ::)
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I LOVE KALKAN

Started by JacquiB on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 09:02:20 PM
by Kefgirl
cheesy
Hi, I am new to site, but not to Kalkan (5 times) Love it!!!!!

Started by Mandee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Everything I love about Kalkan encapulated in one photo!!

Started by goonernumber1 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 05:05:06 PM
by Mrs B
xx
Lets go back to basics...what do you love about Kalkan?

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
by tortoise lady

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Views of Kalkan

Views: 3268
By: tramline
Me!