Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan Beach  (Read 9710 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Kalkan Beach
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »
So happy, just heard that some of the sunbeds have been put out on the beach today.  Happy Days, we love that beach and spend so much time on it during our holiday.   :D :D :D :D :D

J

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12745.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan Beach
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:33:39 PM »
Photo on facebook.....made me a happy bunny! No mattresses though so shall take our roll up ones, not so comfy but better than nothing!  :laugh:

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »
Someone just updated the FB page saying they went to the beach today but left due to the amount of dog poo. How pleasant. Hope they get their act together soon and get Kalkan back to as it was.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:02:03 AM »
Someone just updated the FB page saying they went to the beach today but left due to the amount of dog poo. How pleasant. Hope they get their act together soon and get Kalkan back to as it was.

For this reason I could never understand how it achieved Blue Flag status...
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »
But it's the dog poo that makes Kalkan all the more special and makes us come back every year! It's not any old dog poo it is Kalkan dog poo and has just as much right to be on the beach as you do.

For this reason I could never understand how it achieved Blue Flag status...

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:58:08 PM »
happy days no point in using your sarcasm on enjoykalkan.  Get in touch with Kalkan  Belediye, they are responsible for the management (or lack of) of street dogs in Kalkan.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:33:21 AM »
When I was down at the beach the other day I saw 10 parasols and around 20 sunbeds - clustered near the steps main steps. But what has happened to the lovely white pebbles? They seem to have been covered over with a sharp yellowish-looking builders stone and dusty gravel. Saw a guy from Belediye a few days before hosing it down with sea water, trying to clean it up, but it did not look great. I was also sad to see bottles/litter left by local youths too. I do hope this is a work in progress and that this lovely beach will be back to normal soon.

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
I walked to the beach early this morning and noticed quite a bit of litter too. There's no excuse for that.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
Tomorrow, Tuesday is a BH in Turkey, Youth Sports Day, so there may be  more people on the beach & then more litter, sadly putting things in litter bins provided is not a Turkish habit which I find strange as cleanliness is important to them. ???

Also as Kalkan is Under New Management it is losing or has lost out on many things.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »
Some of the proof is coming out now. I want Kalkan to be as amazing as it used to be. DRDB do you speak to any of the locals/ businesses about the current situation? What is their view as clearly it would be easier for them to complain and it must be in their best interests to do so.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »
When the beach opens for the season there does seem to be a man who's sole purpose is to clean up/empty bins etc. That said, although we love the beach and patronise it when we stay in Kalkan, its never been the cleanest beach we've been to..
I wonder if the yellow stone has come from the harbour works...?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:59:22 AM »
Chickengeorge.......  of course we speak to local Turkish, some have lots of views, some shrug their shoulders or raise their eyes up in the air, they do not   carry the same clout here as in say the UK for example. At the beginning of the season they are too busy to worry too much & at the end too tired to worry.
 To go & see anybody now is a journey into Kas, then possibly hanging about all day to just to speak to someone, soul destroying.  Was hoping that after a year of coming under Kas things may have been better but sadly they seem to have forgotten us especially their Turkish residents who seem now not to have any celebrations  as they used to do.

Yes the bins are emptied by the dustman every day (much better than the UK) & some of the roads/streets are swept daily, but it seems that a lot  of educating re the subject of litter etc is greatly needed.   

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
Thanks DRBD. Despite the problems I am still hoping to move out at some point. One of my pet hates is litter and I would probably be out often at least tidying up the area near me :).  I might even help tidy up the beach. Is there any groups of expats that do any of this type of thing?

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
It is also a hate our ours, we live close to the school & are constantly picking up the rubbish left in our road by the school children after their lunch break, Thursdays is a real pain with chicken sandwich wrappers etc, we are considering asking for a rebate on our council bill for services rendered, so won't offer to help on the beach.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
Maybe I am looking through rose tinted spectacles regarding the beach cleaniness.We remember it being a lot cleaner with Kalkan Beledye.Kas seem to have taken their eye off the ball a bit in this regard.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
It may be cleaner and tidier the nearer to the harbour you sit, but we always plonk oursleves near the middle - close to the gully and where the showers used to be. In my experience, this area has never been litter free - there has always been the odd beer bottle or cigarette ends/empty cartons irrespective of where the administration centre was based.

Offline baclava

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • The Olive Grove
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
Been down to the beach this afternoon. Very disappointed with the effort so far. Haphazard lines of parasols, and sunbeds scattered everywhere. Workers can't even be bothered to sink the ugly concrete bases below the pebbles. Actually calling them pebbles is stretching the imagination - large stones would be more accurate.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 08:43:53 PM »
  :( :( was looking forward to days on the beach.....nothing anyone has said has made me think we'll be doing that later this week!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:33 AM »
You would think that having doubled our council tax, Kas Belediye would be giving us more for our money, not less. Whilst the building work at tbe harbour cannot be helped - the beach should be an easy area to get right. When I visited Kas a couple of weeks ago it was immaculate and litter-free. I don't understand why some key public areas of Kalkan old town (beach, beach garden, gulley) have become so neglected. The previously bustling Fener cafe was practically deserted most days when I visited, and it is as if this once beautiful area of the town is being left to decay. My fear is that next season, as a result of the new harbour redevelopment project when the whole of the harbour front will become public land, it will not be looked after/landscaped/kept clean by the restaurants, but instead the policing and maintenance will be in the hands of the Kas Belediye. Their track record is hardly reassuring. I do hope I am wrong.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »
I agree. Can only hope that they have not put the effort in this season due to the redevelopment but as you say, that is no excuse for not readying the beach. Some visitors will definitely be put off. Kas Belediye will obviously prioritise Kas over Kalkan. I don't even see a mention on the Kas Belediye website about Kalkan let alone the beach. The monthly Kalkan board meetings used to be a good read and made you feel like things were happening. Now we seem to get nothing.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan Beach Parc beach club

Started by Sandancer on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

9 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 12:16:16 AM
by Lizilu20
xx
Kalkan Beach

Started by pw on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 05:46:08 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
xx
kalkan beach

Started by bevnneb on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 11:37:02 AM
by Roxie
xx
Kalkan Beach

Started by Bexscho on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 02:15:11 PM
by Babs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Yum

Views: 2957
By: misty
Saklikent Gorge.