Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Harbour plans  (Read 76612 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Harbour plans
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:27 AM »
Hope it is excitement brian j p, as there will be, no doubt, some not so keen >:D 

That's life & what will be will be as the saying goes...... The sun is still shining so I am very excited, managed to get some washing on the line
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »
I like a bit of speculation...this will be our 27th year in Kalkan and I have seen loads of changes and speculated on many and by and large things are not at all bad (besides too many hillsides vanishing with building) of course not everyone will be happy but my glass is  half full not half empty and if I didn't like it I wouldn't visit......I'm sure it will all look very nice ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:12:59 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
We made it down to the Pinar Bufe, pleased to say rather busy & still operating. It's half term here at the moment so quite a few families down there. The beach was a bit of a mess,  pebbles/stones washed up into piles & yes, sand in situ together with bits of debris, the weather having been it seems rather rougher/stronger than first realised having watched from home. The burnt out properties have been flattened & cleared, Salt & Pepper looking abit dangerous as a small part of it over hanging the edge so perhaps a problem there. Having spoken to one of the owners, who was actually smiling, he stated that all the same people will be back operating when the season starts so a positive there.  The rain has held off so far & behind the glass it has been glorious  day but the wind has been quite bitter in places. Also saw the old ruined house by the little mosque which has been there for years, being demolished by hand, now that is sad & part of our many years history of knowing Kalkan.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 06:51:42 AM »
Forgot to mention that we saw the planting of winter pansies down the  middle of the road to the old town by the PTT yesterday, perhaps thats the first sign of the new season!!!

Offline Joules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 07:22:48 AM »
DRBD, has there been a recent development re giving priority to previous occupants? I truly hope so.
You say that one of the owners said that "all the same people will be back operating when the season starts."
I was informed by another owner that all of the new units will go up for auction.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »
I too hope existing owners will  given a first refusal, however if it did go to auction ,  I will keep my eyes open on ebay !! 

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 08:07:16 PM »
Joules... can only comment on what was said to us on Sunday by one of the owners, didn't press them any further.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »
We will be supporting the businesses who were there before the fire, wherever they are located, rather than a business that has 'outbid' them for that location.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:27 AM »
Joules .....Apologies,  I should have said Friday not Sunday. .

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 07:57:59 AM »
I agree with supporting existing businesses  as much as possible  and fingers crossed existing business owners will have a fair shot at getting the new lets, however  at the end of the day I suspect  it will come down to  location , location, location as far as many if not most visitors are concerned, If there is a nice restaurant    serving good food   in that location , I suspect  that is where they will end up regardless of whom runs it ,  not least  if  new buildings  are as good as the plans suggest, the views from the top terraces will be spectacular,
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:24:58 AM by brian j p »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »
Anyone got any News on the progress of the burnt out buildings on the Harbour now it's been flattened???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:57:41 PM by blue lizard »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 03:38:33 PM »
Have just updated on 'Out of Season', perhaps due to the weather nothing seems to  started/progressed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:22:12 PM by DRBD »

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
interesting article / update on KTLN re fire and harbour plans:   I note they mention a few buildings  perched precariously  where the new retaining wall is supposed to be built,  However I also note the new plans show some nice green recreational  areas behind the retaining wall and as such  I was trying to figure out  if the new plans  mean   (1)  the buildings currently perched on the side of the hill  are not supposed to be there  in the first place  and will be removed permanently. (2)  the plans are wrong  in that there will not be a recreational space  behind the retaining wall and thus the buildings will stay there (3) it is one of those many  occasions where a  compromise will be reached 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »
the article on KTLN is very good - please take some time to read it. It looks as though the new units are unlikely to be occupied and running until the end of June - at the earliest. Also, there are no guarantees the original owners will be back in their old slots as they will also be up for tender.
www.turkishlocalnews.com
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 04:25:06 PM »
K4E : agreed ,  do hope original renters/owners have first refusal ,   but suspect will go to highest bidders

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »
So no hope for my birthday drink in Kleo then in May  :(
I imagine the no building after 15 May will be waived for this development? Seems we will have a rather precarious walk to the beach from our lovely house in the old town.....makes me feel sad.
Really hope the original owners will be successful, this must be so stressful for them and their staff, many of which have worked in these bars and restaurants for years.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 05:31:37 PM »
The difficult thing for the current owners is they have to tender by mid April - KTLN doesn't say when they will know if they've been successful and if they aren't where will they get in the village at short notice?
I cant imagine Kalkan without those businesses so lets hope they are all successful as it doesn't sound as though they are being given first refusal, brian j p :(

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 07:24:35 PM »
Also for the business owners involved many of them have worked with the same great staff who are part of the lovely experience when you visit. I wonder how they will be able to keep them if they can't open until late June as these workers will need a wage after a winter without earning. It's so sad for the 5 business and I hope they can all start again somewhere, if not in their original locations. I'm sure the harbour area will look lovely when finished but there is a bit of pain until then.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »
I really feel for the owners and all the stress involved in having to bid for what is in effect their business premises. The years it has taken to build these businesses up, it is soul destroying. Also as has already been mentioned the staff that they have employed who have become good friends over the years.

I really hope for them all that the outcome is good. I cannot imagine where we would have a drink, that offers the same ambience as Kleo bar. I shall be keeping everything crossed.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »
What we have to remember is that throughout its years as a tourist destination many of the Kalkan restaurants have moved about the town for various reasons, some have even vanished altogether.  It is always a shame that whenever a favourite place moves or closes it will include some or all staff changes, mostly they will & do survive in their new locations or jobs.

It will be a shame for the owners of the old establishments if they lose their bids, that's if they all apply, nothing will be the same in that part of the harbour as we have known it over the recent years it is or was a special location but now it is moving on & we can only wish those involved our good luck should they want to or can afford to take things further & make it again a special area.     

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Plans for the Harbour

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:59:43 AM
by kags
xx
Kas plans dog slaughter

Started by Linda on Other Resorts

56 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 10:18:39 AM
by itstime
xx
A Week in October - the plans

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

31 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 11:55:18 AM
by fitwenchdidyell
xx
harbour

Started by Babs on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 03:15:39 PM
by Babs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Bodrum

Views: 3298
By: blondie
Infinity and beyond!