Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: Babs on January 28, 2015, 08:23:20 AM

Title: Harbour plans
Post by: Babs on January 28, 2015, 08:23:20 AM
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the developments down at the beach and harbour reported on KTLN.
Whilst it is excellent news that the redevelopment of the fire damaged bars and restaurants can begin I am a little surprised at the comment that they will be ready for the beginning of the main tourist season. I hope this is correct but to be ready in four months seems a little ambitious?
It is sad to hear that the cafe behind the beach, Pinar Bufe is to go, especially as this is so well used by local families.
I think the thing that has surprised and disappointed me most is that Fener has to remove its kosk area and the covered area near the lighthouse and that this is due to happen as early as this week! Whilst I think changing Fener in anyway is shortsighted given that it is so well used by tourists and locals alike, I understand why this development has to happen. What I don't understand is, if the proposed harbour development is not planned until after this year's season then why does Fener have to make changes now? This must be going to cause severe financial losses for the business owners and will leave a large area undeveloped for the whole of the season, with the potential for it to look "unloved" at best!
I really hope that all these developments will finally be done to the high standard promised and will prove to be a pleasant surprise, much like the new roads, but feel that the appearance of the beach and harbour area this year will leave a lot to be desired. Just hope this doesn't impact too much on local businesses.
Right, I'll get down off my early morning soap box and get some work done!!!
Title: Re: Harbour plans
Post by: Lizilu20 on January 28, 2015, 10:38:39 AM
I agree Babs. I was thinking much along the same lines myself. I suppose change is inevitable but I keep reassuring myself that the block paving went really well despite some peoples concerns. I for one definitely prefer it now, much better on my knees than before, so hopefully the harbour redevelopment will be a success and in keeping with the Kalkan we love.
Sad about Fener and Pinar Bufe though.  :(
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 28, 2015, 10:53:25 AM
Blimey Lizilu you have good holidays ..better for your knees!!do you have a drink problem??? >:D >:D
Post by: Lizilu20 on January 28, 2015, 11:02:09 AM
Ha Ha!!! It's my party trick BL  ;D ;D ;D

Funny you should say that though 'cos in Kalkan any observer may just think that! I'm trying to stick to my new years resolution of no alcohol on a school night and I'm kind of doing ok, with the odd hiccup  ;)

What I really meant was the kerbs and smoooth paving, cause less impact on my poor old gammy arthritic creaky knee joints  ;D :)
Post by: brian j p on January 28, 2015, 11:07:45 AM
It always amazes me  how quick they get thing up and running   in time for the main season , as it is money  making , I am sure they will be up and running in time ,  just as with the new cobble streets last season  ,  just in  in time! .  I look forward to the new  builds   as in the plans.   lets also remember that Pinar Bufe at the end of the day  is  basically no more than  just a  shack ,   and on the plans  , there is to be a nice regenerated area  with seating and café opportunity  just where Pinar Bufe  is .  Also looking forward next year   when  they start on the  other  half of the harbour ,  if it ends up as per the plans it will  be really nice,    and now that responsibility has transferred to Kas , I am starting to have faith  that  maybe there will be a real change in terms  of getting the long awaited redevelopment  projects up and running , completing them on time  and  just as importantly making sure  post build  on-going upkeep and maintenance is in place 
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 28, 2015, 11:49:37 AM
I too have some confidence it will be ready for the start of the season. I'm really in two minds about the changes and will reserve judgement on how aesthetically pleasing the area will be until I've seen it for myself. It was widely reported on here that Fener was to loose its external structures last season and it was quite a surprise to see it in all its glory when we were there last June - so maybe they got a year's reprieve. Like I say, I'm in two minds as we are regular patrons of Fener but I can see that the area they occupy (albeit without permission) is a prime viewing spot that should be accessible for everyone not just those who are eating and drinking there. Like most of you have said, Pinar Bufe will be a big loss to the community and its a shame it has to go a year before the plans for this area are actually executed. As brian j p says, the new plans for the beach area look good - its quite neglected in parts right now and quite under-used due to the current lay out. I'd be objecting if there were plans to put a ton of bars and restaurants here - but there isnt! (probably due to the unstable rock face :))
After the devastation the business owners must have felt following the fire, I for one am pleased things are cracking on.
Post by: DRBD on January 28, 2015, 12:02:16 PM
Bearing in mind how quickly things here get built/altered, am confident it will be done in time albeit there will be the usual mad panic nearer the season starting but the season starts earlier each year so just have to see. The panic last year re the paving etc was quite comical watching it at times. ;) also this no private building it's authorised by Antalya/Kas.

Really am saddened about the Pinar Bufe, when will they ever learn?
Post by: Christina on January 28, 2015, 03:40:39 PM
The demolition of the burnt out buildings is taking place right now. For a long time I have been expressing personal doubts about the new sterile harbour plans - and more recently about the loss of Pinar Bufe, the seaside seats at Kleo, and the Kosk at Fener. But no one is listening and nobody cares. To object is futile. Yes, it's a crying shame but we will get what we are given. It all seems non-negotiable.
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 28, 2015, 04:56:19 PM
Christina, when you say no-one is listening and nobody cares are you referring to the "Powers that Be", locals or members on this forum? Or all three :o? It's not clear and some of our number may be offended as I'm pretty sure we all care.
Post by: Babs on January 28, 2015, 07:14:53 PM
Please don't get me wrong, I understand completely why the redevelopment has to go ahead and like many of you feel more confident that it will be done tastefully now I have seen the roads in the old town. My main concern/gripe is that they are removing facilities and presumably just going to leave empty space that may well not be very well cared for a year before the development is due to happen. With regards to being concerned that the rebuild of the restaurants won't be ready in time, maybe I'm just being self centred as we will be arriving towards the end of May, which is only 4 months away!
Post by: hobbo on January 28, 2015, 11:19:13 PM
Assuming the basic buildings are rebuilt in time for the season, does anyone know if the original business owners who rented them out will be able to restart their businesses, or will it be new businesses ?? A lot of stock, furnishings and fitments owned by the businesses were destroyed by the fire and depending on insurance levels/payouts etc. these businesses could be very vulnerable.

Post by: brian j p on January 29, 2015, 07:58:29 AM
It would be nice to think  the original business owners who rented  the old buildings will  have first refusal   on the new  . but then again business is business, I suspect if they had a lease then they will have a right to go back in but if not it might simply be a first come first served  at the  new rent prices

Post by: Blue Lizard on January 29, 2015, 09:35:10 AM
The digger has started knocking it all down this morning..a video and pictures are on KTLN of Kleo being flattened..really quite sad..will my little tush be on a throne chair in Jimmys in June??? :'( :'(
Post by: brian j p on January 29, 2015, 10:05:54 AM
BL:  re Jimmy's   ,  hope so  too,  one of my favourite haunts for a bit of people watching
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 29, 2015, 11:30:54 AM
I felt sad watching the video on KTLN too, BL :(. I know the buildings have no historical value, they were part of the Kalkan we know so it does feel a bit like the end of an era. Do the new plans incorporate the same number of "units" - not sure I've looked that closely..? With Fener losing their extra space would they be looking to occupy one? I hope the previous businesses are able to go back and can afford any increase in the rental/leases. I loved those chairs at Jimmys...would be absolutely gutted if they weren't replaced. I think of how hard Mehmet from Mussaka worked to move from his original premises to that lovely position and I would be so devastated for him and his team if they weren't able to set up there again. Time will tell and with the new season being only three months away we wont have to wait long to find out.
Post by: brian j p on January 29, 2015, 04:23:28 PM
K4E:  re units ,  yes  looks like  6 units  according to plans,  It  will be interesting to see what Fener do about loosing the kosk, Whilst  having some sympathy as I love Fener , being a regular for breakfast and lunch when I am out there , I do feel there are a  lot of public areas   on the harbour front , with beautiful views  that have been  ,  shall we say been unduly  taken away from the public "illegally" by the businesses ,  not just Fener I have to add ,  who have expanded without too much consideration the other way around
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 29, 2015, 05:02:39 PM
The NEW units all have upstairs terrace space.i assume to compensate for the loss of spaces "over the road".I would have been more confident of opening by season start if it was just single level but it is also clad/finished in traditional stone looking at the picture..I would assume if rental is paid by the square metre that they will go up as a result ::) I hope they give the current owners a break till they get up and running.... but one things for sure the developers will be quids in!!
I'm sure it will be all very nice eventually though ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 29, 2015, 05:07:55 PM
I imagine the views from the roof terraces of the new units will be quite special - dare I say, better than what they previously had...?
Roll on June...that's all I can say ;)
Post by: DRBD on January 30, 2015, 07:30:18 AM
With respect everyone, perhaps too much speculation be it positive/negative, we understand from one owner that they will continue as before but it is early days & things here change on a daily basis, you will be told what they want to tell you at the time..

The rain has eased at last & the sun is out so perhaps our weekly stroll down to the harbour area is possible later, will update you later.   
Post by: brian j p on January 30, 2015, 07:53:08 AM
DRBD :  nothing wrong with speculation,  it is all part of the anticipation and excitement of what it  will all look like when completed, hopefully as per the plans --     regardless of when anyone want to tell us something!
Post by: DRBD on January 30, 2015, 08:35:27 AM
Hope it is excitement brian j p, as there will be, no doubt, some not so keen >:D 

That's life & what will be will be as the saying goes...... The sun is still shining so I am very excited, managed to get some washing on the line
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 30, 2015, 01:54:54 PM
I like a bit of speculation...this will be our 27th year in Kalkan and I have seen loads of changes and speculated on many and by and large things are not at all bad (besides too many hillsides vanishing with building) of course not everyone will be happy but my glass is  half full not half empty and if I didn't like it I wouldn't visit......I'm sure it will all look very nice ;)
Post by: DRBD on January 30, 2015, 03:42:05 PM
We made it down to the Pinar Bufe, pleased to say rather busy & still operating. It's half term here at the moment so quite a few families down there. The beach was a bit of a mess,  pebbles/stones washed up into piles & yes, sand in situ together with bits of debris, the weather having been it seems rather rougher/stronger than first realised having watched from home. The burnt out properties have been flattened & cleared, Salt & Pepper looking abit dangerous as a small part of it over hanging the edge so perhaps a problem there. Having spoken to one of the owners, who was actually smiling, he stated that all the same people will be back operating when the season starts so a positive there.  The rain has held off so far & behind the glass it has been glorious  day but the wind has been quite bitter in places. Also saw the old ruined house by the little mosque which has been there for years, being demolished by hand, now that is sad & part of our many years history of knowing Kalkan.
Post by: DRBD on January 31, 2015, 06:51:42 AM
Forgot to mention that we saw the planting of winter pansies down the  middle of the road to the old town by the PTT yesterday, perhaps thats the first sign of the new season!!!
Post by: Joules on February 02, 2015, 07:22:48 AM
DRBD, has there been a recent development re giving priority to previous occupants? I truly hope so.
You say that one of the owners said that "all the same people will be back operating when the season starts."
I was informed by another owner that all of the new units will go up for auction.
Post by: brian j p on February 02, 2015, 04:12:47 PM
I too hope existing owners will  given a first refusal, however if it did go to auction ,  I will keep my eyes open on ebay !! 
Post by: DRBD on February 02, 2015, 08:07:16 PM
Joules... can only comment on what was said to us on Sunday by one of the owners, didn't press them any further.
Post by: Kalkan regular on February 02, 2015, 10:15:15 PM
We will be supporting the businesses who were there before the fire, wherever they are located, rather than a business that has 'outbid' them for that location.
Post by: DRBD on February 03, 2015, 06:42:27 AM
Joules .....Apologies,  I should have said Friday not Sunday. .
Post by: brian j p on February 03, 2015, 07:57:59 AM
I agree with supporting existing businesses  as much as possible  and fingers crossed existing business owners will have a fair shot at getting the new lets, however  at the end of the day I suspect  it will come down to  location , location, location as far as many if not most visitors are concerned, If there is a nice restaurant    serving good food   in that location , I suspect  that is where they will end up regardless of whom runs it ,  not least  if  new buildings  are as good as the plans suggest, the views from the top terraces will be spectacular,
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 11, 2015, 09:36:16 AM
Anyone got any News on the progress of the burnt out buildings on the Harbour now it's been flattened???
Post by: DRBD on February 11, 2015, 03:38:33 PM
Have just updated on 'Out of Season', perhaps due to the weather nothing seems to  started/progressed.
Post by: brian j p on March 05, 2015, 01:36:53 PM
interesting article / update on KTLN re fire and harbour plans:   I note they mention a few buildings  perched precariously  where the new retaining wall is supposed to be built,  However I also note the new plans show some nice green recreational  areas behind the retaining wall and as such  I was trying to figure out  if the new plans  mean   (1)  the buildings currently perched on the side of the hill  are not supposed to be there  in the first place  and will be removed permanently. (2)  the plans are wrong  in that there will not be a recreational space  behind the retaining wall and thus the buildings will stay there (3) it is one of those many  occasions where a  compromise will be reached 
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 05, 2015, 02:48:20 PM
the article on KTLN is very good - please take some time to read it. It looks as though the new units are unlikely to be occupied and running until the end of June - at the earliest. Also, there are no guarantees the original owners will be back in their old slots as they will also be up for tender.
www.turkishlocalnews.com
Post by: brian j p on March 05, 2015, 04:25:06 PM
K4E : agreed ,  do hope original renters/owners have first refusal ,   but suspect will go to highest bidders
Post by: Babs on March 05, 2015, 05:01:45 PM
So no hope for my birthday drink in Kleo then in May  :(
I imagine the no building after 15 May will be waived for this development? Seems we will have a rather precarious walk to the beach from our lovely house in the old town.....makes me feel sad.
Really hope the original owners will be successful, this must be so stressful for them and their staff, many of which have worked in these bars and restaurants for years.
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 05, 2015, 05:31:37 PM
The difficult thing for the current owners is they have to tender by mid April - KTLN doesn't say when they will know if they've been successful and if they aren't where will they get in the village at short notice?
I cant imagine Kalkan without those businesses so lets hope they are all successful as it doesn't sound as though they are being given first refusal, brian j p :(
Post by: Kalkan regular on March 05, 2015, 07:24:35 PM
Also for the business owners involved many of them have worked with the same great staff who are part of the lovely experience when you visit. I wonder how they will be able to keep them if they can't open until late June as these workers will need a wage after a winter without earning. It's so sad for the 5 business and I hope they can all start again somewhere, if not in their original locations. I'm sure the harbour area will look lovely when finished but there is a bit of pain until then.
Post by: msr on March 05, 2015, 08:46:17 PM
I really feel for the owners and all the stress involved in having to bid for what is in effect their business premises. The years it has taken to build these businesses up, it is soul destroying. Also as has already been mentioned the staff that they have employed who have become good friends over the years.

I really hope for them all that the outcome is good. I cannot imagine where we would have a drink, that offers the same ambience as Kleo bar. I shall be keeping everything crossed.
Post by: DRBD on March 06, 2015, 08:12:06 AM
What we have to remember is that throughout its years as a tourist destination many of the Kalkan restaurants have moved about the town for various reasons, some have even vanished altogether.  It is always a shame that whenever a favourite place moves or closes it will include some or all staff changes, mostly they will & do survive in their new locations or jobs.

It will be a shame for the owners of the old establishments if they lose their bids, that's if they all apply, nothing will be the same in that part of the harbour as we have known it over the recent years it is or was a special location but now it is moving on & we can only wish those involved our good luck should they want to or can afford to take things further & make it again a special area.     
Post by: brian j p on March 06, 2015, 11:22:10 AM
I  think it will still  be  a special place once the units are rebuilt, maybe even better . Most in not all eatery establishments will un doubly  be first class  and that location together with the upper levels as per the new  plans should be spectacular , Would be great if original  business owners get a look in  for sure ,  as an example::::  I love Jimmy's and it is my first port of call every holiday , I can just imagine sitting in those chairs on that new top level terrace  with an even better view than before . But if  Jimmy's  does not return  or others  it will not be the end ,  I will still look forward to visiting  the establishments  whom ever ends up running  them  as  a big part of the draw  is  location , location, location . Not withstanding    that  the staff and owners who many have become close friends to  over the years  matters just as much as the location , more so in many cases , but in the end the harbour front is  the harbour front and it will draw the customers in 
Post by: DRBD on March 06, 2015, 02:52:56 PM
Got it in a nutshell brian j p, but the staff will still be your friends wherever they may be. We always liked sitting in Kleo during  summer & winter so we hope that we still get the chance to continue to do that, time will tell.

There is very little that stands still for too long in Kalkan in our experience, some moves take longer than others, saying that, there are just a few places that have been insitu for very many years that we know of.     
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 06, 2015, 06:06:55 PM
Moonlight Bar...? ;D
Post by: Chris S on March 30, 2015, 04:40:22 PM
Following KTLN's report today on the progress (or rather lack of it) down at the site of the recent fire, is it arrogance, complacency or incompetence that leads the authorities to think that people will flock to Kalkan irrespective of what they do or do not do? ??? :(
Post by: Babs on March 30, 2015, 05:15:46 PM
Whilst the lack of progress is very sad and I'm sure worrying for the business owners and those who own businesses around the area, I am confident that the area will be smartened up ready for the beginning of the season.......trying to be optimistic here!m ??? I'm sure that those of us who are regular visitors to Kalkan will understand but I'm not sure what new visitors will think of there being such an eyesore if things are smartened up pretty soon!
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 30, 2015, 11:45:46 PM
Its devastating for the business owners and their staff. I hope they will be able to set up somewhere else in the village....although it would be a stretch to squeeze them all in. KTLN will be doing their updates on what's new shortly so fingers crossed some of them do pop up elsewhere. It'll be an eyesore for visitors - whether a regular or first-timers - but this is nothing compared to people's livelihoods. Lets hope work gets underway at the end of the season.
Post by: DRBD on March 31, 2015, 07:17:05 AM
Although frustrating, mainly for the visitors, these people will survive, they always do & there are plenty of places for them to move to albeit not sometimes better locations.  the main concern at this time is the safety of the area & how it is going to be mde safe for all the people of Kalkan & how quickly.  Lets hope the next meeting in Kas brings some answers.   
Post by: Babs on March 31, 2015, 08:06:57 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing who goes where and hoping everyone involved is able to make the most of this coming season. Seems like there is serious potential for "pop ups" particularly around the beach area, someone else said elsewhere that this is just a tiny area of Kalkan and that there are many other restaurants and bars. Very true but the area around the beach is surely prime position.........clearly not people who use the town beach often!
Post by: happy days on March 31, 2015, 10:03:45 AM
It does make you wonder about whether a higher priority and quicker resolution would have been achieved if the Mayor was still present in Kalkan rather than Kas?
Post by: Christina on March 31, 2015, 10:21:04 AM
I was thinking exactly the same Babs re potential for 'pop-ups' - if the council permits it. It would liven up the place and provide shade, drinks and snacks for beach-goers. I heard also that Fener Cafe and Merkez will not be serving food this year, so there will be fewer places in town to get a late breakfast or lunchtime snack. I'm off to Kalkan later today - meeting up with Bob and Jayne, so we'll be making gallant efforts to try any new places (as well as old favourites) which will no doubt feature in Jane's holiday stories.
Post by: Mayday1 on March 31, 2015, 10:47:43 AM
It would be good to hear peoples ideas of places,ideal for lunchtime/daytime eating and drinking.

My nomination would be Café Vita,along the Kalamar road.This is a great place for daytime chilling.The views are not the best,but the food and service are fab.

I also like chillies and Foto pizza.These two are great for evening meals as well.
Post by: brian j p on March 31, 2015, 11:44:00 AM
Jimmies  serves some  nice breakfasts & lunches ( used to work at kaptan  I believe)   ,  about 500  mtr up Kalama road  , there is about a dozen chairs perched on a steel veranda   with nice views  , great if you do not have the legs to walk to café vita, --   also love Café vita  -fab place.  Apologies if I am going of track regarding post subject
Post by: Holidaylover28 on March 31, 2015, 11:57:42 AM
Oh no :( so no food at Fener or Merkez? That's a real shame they both seem to do so well for food.
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 31, 2015, 12:08:13 PM
Holidaylover 28, I'm with you....! We love eating at both places and indeed Merkez has been our first evening meal in Kalkan since we've been coming....a break with tradition will be required this year if that's the case. Not having Mama Mia Chicken on the first night will send me off kilter.....
Post by: ScotsinKalkan on March 31, 2015, 12:32:50 PM
Why would Fener and Merkez stop doing food? Its how they make money?
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 31, 2015, 12:39:45 PM
I'm hoping its rumour control.....last year we were told on the forum things like Moonlight Bar would be radically changed (no seating outside because of the new roads...) and Fener would not have its seats and tables down at the harbour..? We'll just have to see when the season gets underway...but fingers are crossed and double crossed.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on March 31, 2015, 02:07:53 PM
Where do I start a petition to keep Fener open? Where am I going to get my brunch? who's got the bottle to tell Janet for me?? Where is Garfield going to live now? We love sitting there watching the harbour movements, it's our favourite spot. I know I read somewhere that one of the staff was moving to run Lipsos and a couple of years ago we were talking to the owner& he was thinking of selling up then, maybe the fire & changes has forced the issue.
Post by: Babs on March 31, 2015, 03:16:31 PM
Pompeyalbie.......just let me know where that petition is and I'll sign it as many times as you like!!!!! No food at Fener???
In recent years our long beach days have revolved around Fener and Kleo.....breakfast at Fener overlooking the boats, lunch at Fener or Kleo and post beach/happy hour cocktails at Kleo to round off a perfect day and to set us up for dinner!
I know things change but.....we have a lovely house in the old town literally meters from the bech booked for 7 weeks time! I really, really hope these are just rumours!  :o :o
Post by: Babs on March 31, 2015, 03:23:31 PM
Happy days, I was thinking exactly the same......apparently it's progress!  ???
Post by: DRBD on March 31, 2015, 05:18:04 PM
Having spoken to Muzzie at Merkez, he stated that there will be food but limited to what they have served before.
Post by: Haybo on March 31, 2015, 06:49:22 PM
.....i do hope they are still doing baclava icecream sundaes or 2 of my family might not make the trip!
Post by: DRBD on March 31, 2015, 07:25:42 PM
Finding these new premises am sure will add to the pleasure of your holidays & the holiday reports will be interesting.  Perhaps a few surprises ahead.
Post by: Lizilu20 on March 31, 2015, 08:13:23 PM
I guess we just have to look forward to new experience and make new memories. I've heard on the grapevine that mussakka is definitely opening again, obviously in a different location. I do hope that this is true and fingers crossed for the other restaurants and bars too. I can't imagine not eating breakfast at fener either. It's like the end of an era.
Do hope Bob and Jayne get their internet sorted. I'm chomping at the bit for some on the spot kalkan reports now you've hung up your baton DRBD.  :)
Post by: DRBD on March 31, 2015, 09:08:08 PM
Lizilu20. .   ...For many of us who have known Kalkan for  very many years we have all experienced an 'end of an era'  but the good thing is we have all survived & so  has Kalkan, it's what it's all about, otherwise we could all become complacent.  Kalkan lives on rumours, some are even true !!!!!!!.
Post by: Lizilu20 on March 31, 2015, 09:28:01 PM
I just want to (selfishly!) make sure I can still get my mussakka creamy chicken livers!

;) :)
Post by: Babs on March 31, 2015, 10:12:54 PM
And I want to look forward to breakfast overlooking the boats....simple pleasures! My daughter's boyfriend will be delighted if Mussakka opens elsewhere......he's been dreaming of their steaks since he was first introduced to Kalkan last year!
Post by: Haybo on March 31, 2015, 10:16:31 PM
A little ditty from kalkan earlier suggested Mussaka will be up by PTT.....no doubt we will get confirmation when internet restored!
Post by: chrissy1 on April 01, 2015, 08:01:39 AM
I too so hope Mussakka survives it's one of our favourites, good luck to seaport ans Kleo too, anyone know if salt and pepper is still going to survive as it looks precariously on the edge
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 01, 2015, 10:20:33 AM
I would be reluctant to sit on one of those tables overlooking the sea in Salt and Pepper unless something was done to underpin their premises :o :o
I've heard Mussakka have secured a spot too....lets wait and see. Selfishly I hope my other favourite down there - Jimmys - finds a new home in the interim. Good to hear that Merkez will still be doing food after all - their menu was huge so it makes sense to trim it down a bit (hope my favourites make the cut  :))
Come on Jayne....waiting with baited breath :)
Post by: brian j p on April 01, 2015, 11:07:39 AM
looking at the development plans  the Salt & pepper  establishment  perched on the edge  does not exist,  there appears to be a fair sized recreational area intended  unless I am reading the plans wrong
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 01, 2015, 04:52:25 PM
Even if they underpin Salt and Pepper etc... with the New proposed buildings being 2 storey they will no longer have a view across the harbour..you will be looking at the back of a building or next doors diners with Bert and Sue from Tring shovelling food in(these are fictitious people unless you know them? ;D)
I hope Jimmy gets something sorted for the season and will be looking out his death by chocolate if he does ;)
Post by: pw on April 01, 2015, 06:12:38 PM
I have heard from Haldun (Kleo waiter) and he says he will be working with Durali again this year. So that suggests Kleo will be relocating. Fingers crossed.

pw
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 02, 2015, 10:09:26 AM
That Kleo view will be hard replicate somewhere else in the village :(
I am going to make a point of supporting all those displaced businesses this year, even if we didn't frequent them much in the past....the list is growing already and the season hasn't got underway ::)
Post by: Mayday1 on April 02, 2015, 10:34:37 AM
I have heard that Mussaka is going to occupy the site previously used by Odak and Lipsos,,indeed up by the PTT.

I have spoken to Suleyman,from Fener bar and he says that the Beledye are trying to stop them from selling food,and re take ownership of Fener.I understand that the present owner is the old mayor of Kalkan............but he owns the lease and not the land.........the land being owned by the Beledye.

By stopping Fener from selling food would damage the profitability considerably,which is why the Beledye are doing it,to try to force them to close,thus achieving their aim...........who said they play fair !!!!!!

Suleyman has said that they are fighting this every step of the way and as he said,and I quote.................." we still have the law in this country "

Lets hope these wrangles can be solved,and we will still get to go to one of our favourite places,come the start of the season.........which is not too far away now !!

Post by: Babs on April 02, 2015, 05:57:10 PM
According to the "what's new" report on KTLN Fener will be serving food this year.....fingers crossed!
Post by: Babs on April 10, 2015, 06:19:23 PM
Any signs of anything happening to clear up the fire area yet? And what about the retaining wall.....Salt and Peppers owners must be getting concerned?
Post by: alantj on April 11, 2015, 05:44:00 PM
Nothing happening at the moment and hard to see anything being done this season.

It was our favorite part of the harbour area and I think a real loss to Kalkan.

Does anyone know if the Kleo bar has found an alternate site for this year.
Post by: Babs on April 11, 2015, 10:24:49 PM
I know that there's no chance of any building this season but it would be a real shame if the area wasn't cleared up a bit (well a lot really). It must be very unsafe and doesn't exactly give the right impression? I would like to think that local business owners will be able to put some pressure in the powers that be to smarten things up soon  ???
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 13, 2015, 02:57:44 PM
Looks like they've made a start on clearing the area.....pictures on KTLN.
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 13, 2015, 03:00:53 PM
Sorry, they are only on KTLN Facebook page for those that are "friends". Hopefully they will be up on the main site soon too
Post by: DRBD on April 14, 2015, 03:58:33 PM
Down on the harbour today, there is black sheeting covering some of the bank underneath Salt & Pepper, not sure what it is supposed to be doing, a good wind & it could come down.  Were told that maybe tomorrow Wednesday that  cement will be laid to secure& make safe some of the area, quite a bit of tidying up taken place, eg the removal of pot plants but opposite Jimmys there are still a pile of chairs tables & other items left since the fire making it look cluttered.  Boats not back in the water as yet although there are a couple sitting in the water, speaking to some of the owners they are hoping perhaps next week sometime, still work going on there.  Worl also going on in Fener, painting & cleaning.  Really lovely hot day here today after chilly days. 
Post by: Christina on April 14, 2015, 06:28:06 PM
I agree, the black sheeting, although a visual improvement, does not look very robust. Hopefully a retaining wall behind will be built soon. What do others think about the hotel being built behind the beach - due to open in 2016? I was a bit surprised when I saw the building site go up in the very spot vulnerable to rockfalls, and what an eyesore for those lovely houses overlooking the gulley.  I wonder who owns the land and how the hotel guest arrivals/service access will work in summer when the old town is pedestrianised? I hope the hotel effluent isn't pumped directly into the sea in front.
Post by: DRBD on April 14, 2015, 07:57:06 PM
Christina...There has been talk about a hotel in that location for several years, I for one am just pleased to see the old house being renovated, it will not be a huge place &  not sure it will be detrimental to the area, can think of plenty of other areas being spoilt.  It appears plenty of thought has gone into the project, but time will tell. If it is done as tastefully as recent renovations near by it should be fine. Renovations are quite rare, they would rather demolish old buildings & rebuild with inferior materials with plenty of chrome & glass.  We used to manage access years ago when it was restricted so am sure  it will be ok.   
We knew the old custom house when it was a wreck, watched plants/trees growing out of it, bats flying in & out, look how well that turned out.

Post by: Babs on April 14, 2015, 09:09:26 PM
Getting a bit confused here.....are the renovations to the old derelict house near the beach and the building of a new hotel behind the beach two separate things? ???
I'm beginning to wonder if the views from the lovely house we've rented in the old town are going to be quite as lovely as when we went to see it last year....fingers crossed, I'm wrong!
Post by: DRBD on April 15, 2015, 07:39:29 AM
I agree, the black sheeting, although a visual improvement, does not look very robust. Hopefully a retaining wall behind will be built soon. What do others think about the hotel being built behind the beach - due to open in 2016? I was a bit surprised when I saw the building site go up in the very spot vulnerable to rockfalls, and what an eyesore for those lovely houses overlooking the gulley.  I wonder who owns the land and how the hotel guest arrivals/service access will work in summer when the old town is pedestrianised? I hope the hotel effluent isn't pumped directly into the sea in front.
.............think we are speaking of the same project, there is to my knowledge only one old house  being renovated in that area to become a hotel.
Post by: Babs on April 15, 2015, 08:10:37 AM
Thanks DRBD, that's a relief......somehow I was imagining a hotel literally being built behind the beach, where the grass, cafe and Childrens playpark is......was actually wondering how? I knew we could see the derelict house from one of the terraces where we are staying so now it will just be a building site instead!
I must stop being so paranoid about this holiday! ::)
Post by: DRBD on April 15, 2015, 03:28:40 PM
Gosh Babs, you will be a nervous wreck by the time you get here, chill........
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 15, 2015, 04:17:51 PM
I'm sure you'll have a fab time Babs. Give over fretting  ::)

I hope you are going to report back while you're in Kalkan and tell us all about it. Hopefully there'll be some more work done at the harbour and you can fill us in with the progress.  :D
Post by: Babs on April 15, 2015, 04:44:50 PM
Of course I'll send reorts......this time in five weeks we'll be on our way and yes of course we will have a brilliant holiday.....we'll be in Kalkan! :laugh:
Post by: Christina on April 18, 2015, 05:07:38 PM
For anyone in Kalkan wishing to escape the current lacklustre state of the beach side of the harbour (even though a clear up of sorts has begun), in Kas harbour/square there is currently a tourism festival in full swing. I was there yesterday and how smart it all looked. There was a real celebratory, party atmosphere with marching school bands and  traditional Turkish music being played. The place looked immaculate - bunting in the streets, everywhere open and freshly painted, plants tended, and hardly a drop of litter or cigarette end to be seen. The bars and cafes were packed with locals, and there was a large outdoor stage in the square with live music. I'm not sure how long this event is on for, but definitely worth a visit. I look forward to the time when Kalkan harbour can also benefit from similar investment.
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 18, 2015, 11:37:12 PM
That's the spirit  :)
I can't wait to hear your take on things Babs.
Sounds like a lovely day in kas Christina. Hope Kalkan can be tidied up to look at least half decent this summer. Thinking positive thoughts.  :)
Post by: DRBD on April 19, 2015, 07:20:53 AM
Just a shame such celebrations no longer seem to happen in Kalkan, even Children's Day seems to be very low key these days..
Post by: Babs on April 19, 2015, 07:24:09 AM
Does anyone know why these things no longer happen in Kalkan?
Post by: Chris_S on April 19, 2015, 12:21:34 PM
Because the Belediye is in Kaş?

(That's the cynic in me coming out!)
Post by: Babs on April 19, 2015, 03:35:35 PM
Well that's the obvious answer really Chris_S? But I wondered if maybe Kas has a bigger population, or something like that. Even though the Belediye is in Kas there must be some sort of council or something in Kalkan?
Post by: MartynE on April 19, 2015, 05:12:19 PM
Kas is about three times the size of Kalkan, that's  why.
Post by: DRBD on April 19, 2015, 07:24:48 PM
Babs... no there is no administration in Kalkan, only a village/town head man who represents the Kas administration
Post by: Babs on April 19, 2015, 10:02:47 PM
Well there's your answer!
Post by: Christina on April 21, 2015, 09:39:38 AM
Whilst down by the harbour yesterday, I noticed that all the original restaurant signs from the fire-damaged restaurants had been put in a pile together on the floor. It seemed deliberate as the surrounding area was relatively clear. Now call me sentimental, but I wondered if the plan might be to incorporate these signs into a kind of artistic feature and visual reminder to reflect and celebrate the much-loved restaurants that once stood there.
Post by: DRBD on April 21, 2015, 10:19:48 AM
Time will tell, otherwise the scrap man may be interested.  !!!!!!!
Post by: brian j p on April 21, 2015, 10:38:09 AM
it is not the end of the world,  far from it,   Rome was rebuilt was it not ,  it will just take a little longer in Kalkan  and will be better for it , eventually that is!
Post by: Mayday1 on April 21, 2015, 11:54:29 AM
Get Drew Pritchard from Salvage hunters .He loves these sort of signs
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 21, 2015, 02:55:31 PM
theres nothing to say those same restaurants and bars wont be there again, next season :)
Maybe the signs are the personal property of the owners so they have been left for them, or as DRBD says there is some scrap value element.
It's good to hear the area is being tidied up in advance of the new season - that's the best we could have hoped for after it became apparent the work wouldnt be starting until the close season 2015/16.
It will all look very different (hopefully...) this time next year :)
Post by: DRBD on April 22, 2015, 07:21:27 AM
Perhaps it would be a good idea if we just waited until changes, rebuilding etc are confirmed by' the powers that be' then the speculations would diminish. 

Post by: brian j p on April 22, 2015, 07:57:02 AM
speculation is  a spice of life  and promotes communication,  in many respects keep forums  like this alive ,  which  is all good stuff
Post by: DRBD on April 22, 2015, 08:18:34 AM
Agree in some respects but it can also cause confusion & misleading info which does happen on this forum, can't comment on others as this is the only one I read.
Post by: Cuddles on April 22, 2015, 09:06:35 AM
speculation is  a spice of life  and promotes communication,  in many respects keep forums  like this alive ,  which  is all good stuff

Don't we get enough speculation on the news every day? I for one am sick of it. Far from promoting communication, it promotes disinterest eventually. Unless of course you believe everything you read, see or hear.
Post by: brian j p on April 22, 2015, 09:28:42 AM
Cuddles : The fact we are posting on this subject proves my point,  while  holiday reports are great  along with help ,suggestions  and all the other post headings,   much of what happens  out of season and in the run up to the season   has  a speculation  element   and keeps us all interested
Post by: Chris_S on April 22, 2015, 10:09:42 AM
I don't know if it's in the Turkish Mentality - but surely a pop-up or two could work?

MasterChef managed to feed 90 from a tent on an airfield...

At least the Belediye would get some sort of (low) rent for the season.
Post by: IssyG on April 22, 2015, 01:03:28 PM
Pop ups seem like an excellent idea - I wonder if anyone has broached this to the powers that be in Kalkan - they are very successful here in London.
Surely pop ups, market stalls etc - anything is better than a big empty space!
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 22, 2015, 02:43:33 PM
I would rather an empty space than have the "market stall" that took up residence by the taxi rank last season pop up there. Just my opinion.
I'm sure something will evolve as the season progresses....
DRBD is right in that often rumour is posted on here as fact and it does get confusing, but speculating is all part of the fun for those if us who visit, rather than reside in Kalkan. I'm sure it gets tedious for the residents, but back in UK we're hanging on to every word....but taking some of it with a hefty pinch of salt.
Post by: alantj on April 22, 2015, 04:00:29 PM
Kalkan4eva,

Agree 100% about the "market stall" tacky and completly out of place.   

We bumped into the manager of the Kleo last week. He said he hoped that it would be possible to set up a temporary bar in time for the peak season.   However, this was depended on completion of work to make the area safe and the council was providing no information about the scale of the work required or when it could be carried out.

Post by: kalkan4eva on April 22, 2015, 05:03:29 PM
Fingers crossed for them...
Post by: Babs on April 22, 2015, 10:24:10 PM
Agree with K4E I imagine residents and those of us here in Blighty feel differently about things?
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 23, 2015, 09:29:07 AM
Oh I do hope that Kleo will manage to open that temporary bar for the summer. If they do pop a market stall there, I just hope that the rude and over zealous young man from near the taxi rank is nowhere near else I'll be giving it a wide berth.

I guess what we are just doing now is speculating but it fills in the long days to when we arrive back in Kalkan and gives us chance to contribute and "chat" to our forum buddies. The best thing of all is when the doom and gloom speculation is proved wrong and Kalkan (warts and all ) rises again from the ashes which I hope will happen again this year. Fingers crossed.  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 23, 2015, 02:11:45 PM
That has certainly brightened up my day that there is a chance of a temporary Kleo Bar at the beach until things get sorted.  Definitely keeping fingers crossed.  :) :)

j
Post by: Babs on April 23, 2015, 04:09:30 PM
It would be lovely if Kleo popped up sometime over the next four weeks ready for our arrival!  :laugh:
Post by: Tyros on April 29, 2015, 02:35:04 PM
Looks like Seaport has found a new home by the roundabout opposit the Han Resaurant, at least the sign was there!!
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 30, 2015, 01:08:20 PM
So pleased for those businesses ousted by the fire - going to try and support them this year :)
Anyone know if Jimmy's has found a new home?
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 30, 2015, 02:23:08 PM
Yes..i hope jimmy has found somewhere to hang his hat..it is a first night tradition that we pop into see Jimmy for a swifty or two ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 30, 2015, 04:11:36 PM
Our first night tradition is eating in Merkez...so gutted they wont be serving food after 6pm  >:(
I know a lot of people don't like the Jimmy's "thrones" but we love them...and their apple martinis. I do hope they find somewhere - please do let us know early holidaymakers or residents.
Post by: Babs on April 30, 2015, 06:12:08 PM
Bit of a shock to go on to facebook and then KTLN to see that the diggers have taken a chunk out of the Korsan. They appear to have lost their bottom terrace and it would seem part of their main area. Relieved to hear though that they plan to open on 10 May......our first night was in serious jepody for a while!  ::)
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 05, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
There are more photos on KTLN Facebook page about the progress of work down at the harbour...seems to be all systems go
Post by: Christina on May 19, 2015, 07:00:01 AM
Looking back over this thread, and all the rumours/speculation/uncertainty regarding the future of some of our favourite harbour-side bars/restaurants, I'm really pleased to be able to report that the newly relocated Mussakka is as good as ever. I went to their opening night, and how handsome and chic their new premises look. The food was heavenly, and dare I say it, the elevated views over the islands were even better than in their previous location. With Seaport also ready to open shortly on the corner opposite the taxi rank, the smart Mini Bar nearby, and the lovely Coriander just up the hill, I  think will we may see a re-focus of desirable places to eat on the approach to the old town. Good luck to all the business for the season.
Post by: Mayday1 on May 19, 2015, 09:00:23 AM
I agree with everything you say Christina.We tried Coriander a couple of times and it is really superb.Not yet had the chance to go to Seaport or Mussaka but they sound very good too.

The standard this year seems very high.Can I give a name check to Yelkin bistro on the Kalamar road,situated beneath the Yelkin apartments.We went there in May and the standard was as high as Coriander.........really amazing. The only downside is that it is a fair way up the Kalamar road.We tend to hire a car,so can go to Café vita for lunch or the bistro at night without a problem.

If you are walking,it is a bit of a way..........but well worth the visit to Vita for their "world famous chips and home made burgers " and the bistro in the evening.
Post by: Kalkan regular on May 19, 2015, 10:52:12 AM
We too ate at Mussakka on their opening night and the food was excellent as usual. The new venue has good views and they've made it lovely inside. Memet is working with his new staff to ensure the service is as slick as it was and we were pleased to see that he had to turn people away it was so busy.

Also ate at Corriander and thought the food was good and excellent value.

Another new place with great food is the Rosemary Restaurant at the harbour, next to Trio. We ate there twice and both meals were excellent, had great service and a reasonable price for the harbour.

Loved the new Black and Gold Bar and Botanic Gardens for cocktails.
Post by: kevtamuk on May 20, 2015, 05:39:00 AM
We ate at Rosemary on Monday and really enjoyed it too.  So far we've not had a bad meal.  The Fish Terrace and Sade were as wonderful as last year.

Tried the Black and Gold bar where the position, service, cocktails and snacks were great.  Have to say that we love the additional chill out area in The Fountain Bar too and their cocktails are as wonderful as we remembered from last year,best so far in Kalkan

My 90 year old mother in law is being bowled over by the friendliness of waiters and taxi drivers and they all call her mama.   Thankfully she is coping admirably with the steps and hills of Kalkan and we have 4 more Kalkan converts who love this place
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal