Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Harbour plans  (Read 76578 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Harbour plans
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:23:20 AM »
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the developments down at the beach and harbour reported on KTLN.
Whilst it is excellent news that the redevelopment of the fire damaged bars and restaurants can begin I am a little surprised at the comment that they will be ready for the beginning of the main tourist season. I hope this is correct but to be ready in four months seems a little ambitious?
It is sad to hear that the cafe behind the beach, Pinar Bufe is to go, especially as this is so well used by local families.
I think the thing that has surprised and disappointed me most is that Fener has to remove its kosk area and the covered area near the lighthouse and that this is due to happen as early as this week! Whilst I think changing Fener in anyway is shortsighted given that it is so well used by tourists and locals alike, I understand why this development has to happen. What I don't understand is, if the proposed harbour development is not planned until after this year's season then why does Fener have to make changes now? This must be going to cause severe financial losses for the business owners and will leave a large area undeveloped for the whole of the season, with the potential for it to look "unloved" at best!
I really hope that all these developments will finally be done to the high standard promised and will prove to be a pleasant surprise, much like the new roads, but feel that the appearance of the beach and harbour area this year will leave a lot to be desired. Just hope this doesn't impact too much on local businesses.
Right, I'll get down off my early morning soap box and get some work done!!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12572.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Harbour plans
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
I agree Babs. I was thinking much along the same lines myself. I suppose change is inevitable but I keep reassuring myself that the block paving went really well despite some peoples concerns. I for one definitely prefer it now, much better on my knees than before, so hopefully the harbour redevelopment will be a success and in keeping with the Kalkan we love.
Sad about Fener and Pinar Bufe though.  :(

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:53:25 AM »
Blimey Lizilu you have good holidays ..better for your knees!!do you have a drink problem??? >:D >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:02:09 AM »
Ha Ha!!! It's my party trick BL  ;D ;D ;D

Funny you should say that though 'cos in Kalkan any observer may just think that! I'm trying to stick to my new years resolution of no alcohol on a school night and I'm kind of doing ok, with the odd hiccup  ;)

What I really meant was the kerbs and smoooth paving, cause less impact on my poor old gammy arthritic creaky knee joints  ;D :)

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:07:45 AM »
It always amazes me  how quick they get thing up and running   in time for the main season , as it is money  making , I am sure they will be up and running in time ,  just as with the new cobble streets last season  ,  just in  in time! .  I look forward to the new  builds   as in the plans.   lets also remember that Pinar Bufe at the end of the day  is  basically no more than  just a  shack ,   and on the plans  , there is to be a nice regenerated area  with seating and cafĂ© opportunity  just where Pinar Bufe  is .  Also looking forward next year   when  they start on the  other  half of the harbour ,  if it ends up as per the plans it will  be really nice,    and now that responsibility has transferred to Kas , I am starting to have faith  that  maybe there will be a real change in terms  of getting the long awaited redevelopment  projects up and running , completing them on time  and  just as importantly making sure  post build  on-going upkeep and maintenance is in place 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:49:37 AM »
I too have some confidence it will be ready for the start of the season. I'm really in two minds about the changes and will reserve judgement on how aesthetically pleasing the area will be until I've seen it for myself. It was widely reported on here that Fener was to loose its external structures last season and it was quite a surprise to see it in all its glory when we were there last June - so maybe they got a year's reprieve. Like I say, I'm in two minds as we are regular patrons of Fener but I can see that the area they occupy (albeit without permission) is a prime viewing spot that should be accessible for everyone not just those who are eating and drinking there. Like most of you have said, Pinar Bufe will be a big loss to the community and its a shame it has to go a year before the plans for this area are actually executed. As brian j p says, the new plans for the beach area look good - its quite neglected in parts right now and quite under-used due to the current lay out. I'd be objecting if there were plans to put a ton of bars and restaurants here - but there isnt! (probably due to the unstable rock face :))
After the devastation the business owners must have felt following the fire, I for one am pleased things are cracking on.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:17:32 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:02:16 PM »
Bearing in mind how quickly things here get built/altered, am confident it will be done in time albeit there will be the usual mad panic nearer the season starting but the season starts earlier each year so just have to see. The panic last year re the paving etc was quite comical watching it at times. ;) also this no private building it's authorised by Antalya/Kas.

Really am saddened about the Pinar Bufe, when will they ever learn?
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
The demolition of the burnt out buildings is taking place right now. For a long time I have been expressing personal doubts about the new sterile harbour plans - and more recently about the loss of Pinar Bufe, the seaside seats at Kleo, and the Kosk at Fener. But no one is listening and nobody cares. To object is futile. Yes, it's a crying shame but we will get what we are given. It all seems non-negotiable.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »
Christina, when you say no-one is listening and nobody cares are you referring to the "Powers that Be", locals or members on this forum? Or all three :o? It's not clear and some of our number may be offended as I'm pretty sure we all care.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
Please don't get me wrong, I understand completely why the redevelopment has to go ahead and like many of you feel more confident that it will be done tastefully now I have seen the roads in the old town. My main concern/gripe is that they are removing facilities and presumably just going to leave empty space that may well not be very well cared for a year before the development is due to happen. With regards to being concerned that the rebuild of the restaurants won't be ready in time, maybe I'm just being self centred as we will be arriving towards the end of May, which is only 4 months away!

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 11:19:13 PM »
Assuming the basic buildings are rebuilt in time for the season, does anyone know if the original business owners who rented them out will be able to restart their businesses, or will it be new businesses ?? A lot of stock, furnishings and fitments owned by the businesses were destroyed by the fire and depending on insurance levels/payouts etc. these businesses could be very vulnerable.

I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 07:58:29 AM »
It would be nice to think  the original business owners who rented  the old buildings will  have first refusal   on the new  . but then again business is business, I suspect if they had a lease then they will have a right to go back in but if not it might simply be a first come first served  at the  new rent prices

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
The digger has started knocking it all down this morning..a video and pictures are on KTLN of Kleo being flattened..really quite sad..will my little tush be on a throne chair in Jimmys in June??? :'( :'(

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »
BL:  re Jimmy's   ,  hope so  too,  one of my favourite haunts for a bit of people watching

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »
I felt sad watching the video on KTLN too, BL :(. I know the buildings have no historical value, they were part of the Kalkan we know so it does feel a bit like the end of an era. Do the new plans incorporate the same number of "units" - not sure I've looked that closely..? With Fener losing their extra space would they be looking to occupy one? I hope the previous businesses are able to go back and can afford any increase in the rental/leases. I loved those chairs at Jimmys...would be absolutely gutted if they weren't replaced. I think of how hard Mehmet from Mussaka worked to move from his original premises to that lovely position and I would be so devastated for him and his team if they weren't able to set up there again. Time will tell and with the new season being only three months away we wont have to wait long to find out.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 04:23:28 PM »
K4E:  re units ,  yes  looks like  6 units  according to plans,  It  will be interesting to see what Fener do about loosing the kosk, Whilst  having some sympathy as I love Fener , being a regular for breakfast and lunch when I am out there , I do feel there are a  lot of public areas   on the harbour front , with beautiful views  that have been  ,  shall we say been unduly  taken away from the public "illegally" by the businesses ,  not just Fener I have to add ,  who have expanded without too much consideration the other way around

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 05:02:39 PM »
The NEW units all have upstairs terrace space.i assume to compensate for the loss of spaces "over the road".I would have been more confident of opening by season start if it was just single level but it is also clad/finished in traditional stone looking at the picture..I would assume if rental is paid by the square metre that they will go up as a result ::) I hope they give the current owners a break till they get up and running.... but one things for sure the developers will be quids in!!
I'm sure it will be all very nice eventually though ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »
I imagine the views from the roof terraces of the new units will be quite special - dare I say, better than what they previously had...?
Roll on June...that's all I can say ;)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »
With respect everyone, perhaps too much speculation be it positive/negative, we understand from one owner that they will continue as before but it is early days & things here change on a daily basis, you will be told what they want to tell you at the time..

The rain has eased at last & the sun is out so perhaps our weekly stroll down to the harbour area is possible later, will update you later.   

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 07:53:08 AM »
DRBD :  nothing wrong with speculation,  it is all part of the anticipation and excitement of what it  will all look like when completed, hopefully as per the plans --     regardless of when anyone want to tell us something!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Plans for the Harbour

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:59:43 AM
by kags
xx
Kas plans dog slaughter

Started by Linda on Other Resorts

56 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 10:18:39 AM
by itstime
xx
A Week in October - the plans

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

31 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 11:55:18 AM
by fitwenchdidyell
xx
harbour

Started by Babs on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 03:15:39 PM
by Babs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Pure Turkish Delight

Views: 3228
By: zros
Kaputas